main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Higher. Further. Faster. Together: Captain Marvel (+ The Marvels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bilbo Fett, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Until you acknowledge the picture I made about you elsewhere, don't even talk to me! [face_not_talking]

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

@dp4m captain marvel is a dc character. and he is inferior to wonder woman. so once again, you are spreading mistruths.

Master_Lok likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    The first thing I saw when I logged on here at lunch today is your avatar and I am SOILED with glee.

I know that doesn't contribute much to the conversation.

Diggy likes this.
  6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    A declaration of soiling always adds something.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  7. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    [​IMG]

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    It has happened. The day when the MCU becomes darker than the DCFU.

[​IMG]

9. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    [face_rofl][face_rofl] Okay. That's funny, but then most of this page has been quite amusing.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    She must be eating a salad.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    She's a burger gal. It's what makes her a hero.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I don't understand why the internet does not get that she's a hardened soldier who has seen some serious combat. So she doesn't smile and sounds stoic. Big whup. I have no issues if they've tweaked her character the way they did Sam Wilson (making her a combat veteran whose company and circumstances do not allow for smiling. Hell, she's among Kree. They do not seem very mirthful. Meanwhile, Wilson's daredevil response to combat and his loss, resulting in his response to combat in a fun, snarky way. Everyone reacts to their situations differently, so I see that 'sullen' aspect as her way of coping.)

I wish I was more interested in the story, because I think Brie is the right woman to play Carol Danvers (and she looks awesome in the Air Force attire and her subseuqent power ups). I just am not a fan of skrulls.

@Sarge, this woman says salads are fun; but I also remember what a delicious burger tastes like despite being 28 years out since eating one.

Juliet316 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  13. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The question is: how many people are so young they don't understand that reference, AoN? :p

15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    "They Live", right? The only reason I know that is because I was looking up where the chew bubblegum meme came from.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So then, she got Binary level powers via the Brood. I wonder then if that intro could happen in order to then have a link to the X-Men? It does not appear so unless I missed something in the trailer. Galactus maybe?

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The internet is gonna internet.

I think "the Marvel formula" played into the complaints of Danvers being too serious. And yeah, I'm sure being a woman probably plays a part in the complaints as well. I personally had no issues with Danvers being stoic, especially for a first trailer. I mean, it's snippets of the film and not the actual film. The first trailer of Age of Ultron was all kinds of moody and serious, but the film turned out to be really jokey. So, if it were a Smurf, it would be Jokey Smurf. And personally, I'd rather have Danvers more on the Captain America serious side than the comedic side of a Peter Quill. I'm sure when Carol arrives on earth, she's going to have alot of fish out of water moments giving her character many opportunities to be lighthearted and humorous. Plus, there's a good chance we get alot of moments with "Chewie."

[​IMG]

And of course, those in the know, so what to see Rocket meet Chewie.

[​IMG]

I will say, I was not thrilled with the casting of Brie Larson as Captain Marvel because my heart was set on either Emily Blunt (because of her performance in Edge of Tomorrow) or Charlize Theron because she's a tremendous actor and has so much screen presence and gravitas, and as such, imagine she would be able command the character with ease. I have yet to see Larson in something comparable to the role she would play as Captain Marvel, so I'm skeptical. However, I was skeptical with Chris Evans as Captain America. It took three films for me to feel Evans took command of the role, which happened in The Winter Soldier. I do love Larson's tweet to the Captain Marvel trailer, which was "Look mom, I'm a super hero." That's so sweet.

I personally, didn't see much of Captain Marvel complaints. I've actually seen the internet has some fun with the trailer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yup. It would be a hoot if they reference it somewhere. It would be awesome if some of Carpenter's funtastic SF gets a wink in the MCU. Rent They Live if you've never seen it. My digital literacy professor actually uses They Live in class. She was great.

I am not going to play into the idiotic, internet crankiness simply because she's a woman (Did Gal have to go through this stupidity when she was announced as Wonder Woman?) I think it's awesome the military aspect is so strong. As far as casting, Emily Blunt would have been pretty cool, perhaps she'll make into the MCU at some point (I think she would have been a better Black Widow, but Scarlett has grown into the role). Theron, I am not much of a fan, but I understand her appeal especially in the wake of Mad Max and Atomic Blonde, but I always see her as Charlize, not the characters (much like Angelina Jolie). I respect that you wanted more established women in the role though. I am sure you will like Brie.

As aside, Evans convinced me in the scenes with Doctor Erskine (they still make me cry). :p

That punch is going to live on for a quite awhile isn't it?:D

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Worse: She's too thin to be Diana, she's too 'ethinic.' blah, blah, blah. Add in her Israeli heritage at a prime time of escalation between Israel and the Palestinians and yeah, Gal ended up getting it much worse than Brie is now.

20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    That's right I remember that now. Thanks. Also dumb on every level, but I won't go there, because so many of the naysayers enjoy Gal now.

21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Wonder Woman should totally have been played by a man.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Is They Live really an obscure reference? It's, like, the 3rd or 4th most famous John Carpenter film.

Not to mention the South Park Cripple Fight.

(language warning)

23. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I’ve seen some of the people now complaining about BL on the internet talk about how they hated GG at first too but then warmed to her. It’s almost like some people are predisposed to wanting to complain about actresses cast in lead roles in comic book flicks so they look for justification of that viewpoint before seeing the film. I say that because a number of the youtubers criticizing her have been ranting about how they expect Marvel to go “full SJW” before they even saw the trailer. What a shock that they’re immediately criticizing BL.

From just the trailer, I have some concerns about her given her line delivery, but man that punching granny shot almost makes up for it by itself. She looks so cool, both when she’s staring down granny and her expression when she throws the punch. That is endless meme fuel.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    And here I am disliking skrulls so much that this is why I am waiting on seeing CM.

:D

]-}

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Since Captain Marvel is set in the 90s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]