main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Higher. Further. Faster. Together: Captain Marvel (+ The Marvels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bilbo Fett, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    That's so Binary and a little Dark Phoenix, which the movie comes out like a month before Captain Marvel, IIRC. Either way, it's women on fire.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yep, I'm definitely thinking they're going Binary already... or possibly proto-Binary, and she'll have to go full-Binary for Thanos...

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So we are getting an origin story but told in fragmented flashbacks, that could be interesting. Also Marvel won't go her iconic costume until the 3rd act I'm thinking. But, dammit, 90s era Samuel L. Jackson is the 2nd lead! So, yah, I'm very easily happy about it just for that. And Blockbuster Video! And Captain Marvel punching an old lady in the face!!

I admit, I just read the Entertainment Weekly article today so I just keyed to the fact that Kree can be human coloured or blue which is something I don't think we've seen yet (there were lighter blue Kree on Agents of SHIELD but that was it). But I can dig it, although my brain is just very used to Blue Kree.

4. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I didn't think they'd do the helmet but they found a clever way to throw it in there.

[​IMG]

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Iconic? It's relatively new, only being introduced since Carol changed her name to Captain Marvel, and remains controversial. Her most iconic costume is the blue-black Ms Marvel costume with the lightning bolt insignia.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow! That was an outstanding teaser trailer! I don't know too much about the character but it seems to hit all the broad points I was aware of (and even a few prominent visual references like the mohawk helmet Bilbo embedded above- also neat how it turns her face blue so she looks like a Kree). Very exciting/intriguing.

I love the fact that it's a very character-centric trailer that conveys so much through the visuals and editing language (extra-super props to the editors using shots of Carol throughout her life getting knocked down then later showing a similar montage of her getting back up).

And, as a bonus we also get young Fury as the anchor-of-the-familiar and a quick shot of young Coulson (please let there be a a cameo by The Bus- or a plane like it! [face_praying] That's all I need!), a blink-and-you-miss-it shot of Ronon's back and a few other things.

The use of Blockbuster as a "this takes place in the past" cue is clever and amusing. If you went 10 years into the past to a Blockbuster and told them that that Iron Man movie's spin-off ten years later would be doing that to their store, heh...

The car crash shot is probably the one scene that conveys the intended 90's action movie style- very Cameronesque. Also, it appears to be of the type of car I used to drive (which I still had when IM1 came out), so bonus points there, heh. There was also a bit/lot of Top Gun in the pilot shots as well, albeit that's 80's but that had influence over that era.

The "Her"/"Hero" transition is also an inspired idea by the marketing as well.

AOS is more of a give-it-3/4ths-to-a-season because the first half of that first season is bumpy and has the worst episodes of the series. The Winter Solider connection late in season 1 really kicks the show into gear and it makes huge jumps in quality every season from there (though seasons 1 & 2 are the most relevant to the movies).

Jedi Merkurian and Rew like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Really? It's iconic to me that I think it's the best designed one and the one which is most prominent on Captain Marvel stuff across the board which Marvel has been pushing for quite a while. The green outfit actually reminds me more of the Genis-Vel outfit for his stint as Captain Marvel (which was kind of awesome too)

heels1785 likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It’ll be interesting to see if there’s any cannabalizing between them due to the similar marketing imagery or if Marvel will focus on other aspects of CM to differentiate from what is likely to be Phoenix-heavy marketing for X-Men.

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Upon 2nd watch, her quick falling down montage and then towards the end of the trailer the quick getting back up montage hit me in the feels.

10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Actually my favourite stuff in the trailer is all Samuel L. Jackson sourced. "Space invasion! Big car chases!"

As for Carol being a bit blank in the trailer, well it SEEMS like the movie is going with mind-wiped solider forgets origin type of story those those take awhile to come around and be human again, I'd guess.

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I assume you mean because of Blockbuster? In which case, yes, that was the best part of the whole movie.

heels1785 likes this.
  12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Is this film coming out August 2019?

FatBurt likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    March

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Direct tie-in to IW2, which comes out in May. Kinda like how the first Captain America movie led directly to Avengers. I wouldn’t be surprised if similarly, the stinger contained scenes from IW2

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    OK so it's Ridiculous Ameridating on Steroids, good job whomever did that to the title. Hashtag applause.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Only Captain Marvel's a space hero.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    We went over this on 5/9. Check page 2 of the thread. It's all 2ndTheQuest's fault.

18. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I apologize for nothing.

I don’t think it will- I think they’ll treat it like a straight prequel. At most, they’ll give us something borderline spoilery without going straight into it like with AM2’s stingers.

Unless there’s a time jump in the film or something. I think what we’ll get is something suggesting where Carol is during IW1.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  20. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I'm really hoping that this is her story. I am a bit concerned about the portrayal, but I'm hopeful that it's just because of the collection of shots they chose for the trailer. Also her voiceover delivery in the trailer sounds so flat, but I'm hoping it was just recorded for the trailer. I do think she had a few really cool moments though. Specifically during the granny-punching shot, I thought she looked pretty badass. I hope there's a lot more punching in this film than Marvel standing there shooting electricity out of her palms because she looks much cooler that way.

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    That granny punch shot was pretty brutal. She probably cracked her skrull.

22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    As stated before, I think the stingers will go like this. Under spoiler tag just in case I happen to be right: :p

Mid-credits: Captain Marvel forces a peace treaty between the Kree and Xander, forcing Ronan to look for a third party to deal with the Nova Corps. Enter Thanos and the plot of Guardians 1.

Post-credits: She's investigating what happened to Xandar and may be interrogating some Kree when they begin to disintegrate. She then receives Fury's signal and flies off.

As for the villains themselves in the movie, it's a shame that...

Crossbones won't be in it, or they would have Skrull and Crossbones. Avast ye, mateys. :p

23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I thought that was a really weird shot to put in the trailer with no explanation whatsoever.

heels1785 likes this.
  24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah if you put the pieces together, there is a shot of her in the subway looking confused, then it appears she might be on the subway where the old lady/skrull in disguise is, and then she's on top of the subway train shooting energy beams at something off screen - probably the skrull she punched on the train. My guess - the train sequence is probably near the beginning of the movie and also close to being finished in post production and was chopped up and edited to be in random parts of the trailer. Notice her outfit is the same in each snippet. She probably meets Fury after that sequence and gets her 90s gear to change into.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Best online quippage I saw about the old lady punching shot "That's a SKRULL, baby!"