main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Higher. Further. Faster. Together: Captain Marvel (+ The Marvels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bilbo Fett, Sep 4, 2018.

1. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I'm just going from the new comics. Her mom is a Kree warrior there.

2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Thank you kindly. I knew it was alien but forgot to what extent.

So a benevolent take on the Thing (w/out without shape-shifting, taking over host bodies)?

Got it.

I haven’t read Carol since Ms. Marvel so I appreciate the assist.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's cool, I said cat too in my first post. ;)

And don't forget teleporter! :)

4. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Teleporting not-cat thingy from another world? :p

dp4m likes this.
  5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I put off watching my recorded basketball game to watch like half of the second quarter of the Monday Night Football game until halftime just so I could watch the trailer with it aired. I've watched about 6 times last night and one trailer reaction and one trailer breakdown this morning.

I thought it was very interesting the trailer lead off with the scene with Carol punches the old lady in the face. I thought this was Marvel/Disney wanting to make sure the public knows that the hero was punching a bad guy, as they may have been some backlash regarding that scene in the teaser trailer. It was cool when the old lady Skrull fought back. That was some nice action.

And I'm definitely feeling the origin story vibes here, but they look like they'll be told in flashbacks or regaining memory by Carol.

For some reason green suit Mohawk Captain Marvel looks off compared to red suit Captain Marvel.

I was expecting a jump scare type of moment when Fury started petting the cat, Goose. Kind of disappointed they didn't go with Chewie especially since the Star Wars Universe is literally cousins to the MCU, or an adoptive sibling. My wife has yet to see the trailer, but she'll swoon over Goose, I'm sure like some of the twitter reactions I read.

I totally missed the news that Annette Bening was in Captain Marvel, or I totally forgot I heard it. Anyway, it would be something if she was Kree and was actually..
    the Supreme Intelligence.

[​IMG]

I mean, if Kurt Russell was Ego the Living Planet, what not Annette Benning as the Kree Supreme Intelligence. I say the odds might be less that 30% of that happening.

Anyway, the ending where Captain Marvel says, "I’m not going to fight your war. I’m going to end it" I was like...

[​IMG]

And then we get this scene...

[​IMG]

Which totally reminded me of the final battle in The Last Starfighter.

And there's still the feelings that Captain Marvel will be the best Green Lantern film ever made, as their origin stories and characters as quite similar.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes, I would want a movie with Goose (Chewie): the teleporting not-cat thingy from another world(TM). :p

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I mentioned this before, but I want Rocket to meet Goose, just like the comic book.

[​IMG]

8. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Well one question is, with CM set in the 90's does Goose actually equal Chewie or is he a first pet cat we're introduced to that is later replaced by a Chewie (because he would have had a normal cat's lifespan) when Carol is reintroduced in modern day?

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Maybe she goes flying with Chewie in her flashback when she's a fighter pilot. When she loses control and they have to eject, Chewie hits his head on the canopy and doesn't make it.

Then we'll see in the movie that she gets Goose and things are looking great until she has to travel to the planet Sernpidal.

The2ndQuest and Bilbo Fett like this.
  10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Perhaps. I hope Goose is Carol's love interest in this film, since that's pretty how most of these origin films go.

Man, I just love the Carol transforms into her Captain Marvel powers. It's like how she transforms in the video game, which is awesome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VadersLaMent and Master_Lok like this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Would you say she's Super Saiyan (level) 1, 2 or 3?

12. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Going Super Saiyan will never not look cool.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    True story. It's like watching Voltron combine, the Gargoyles bust out of their stone sleep, or Gizmoduck yelling Blathering Blatherskite.

Yodaminch and Juliet316 like this.
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I like the way it looks on Carol.

dp4m likes this.
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Brie Larson talking about playing Cap

“[I’m] kind of over the ‘First female blah blah blah,’ and ‘Wow, maybe women can actually do the same things that dudes can do.’ What a crazy concept. I feel like the more we talk about it, the more we perpetuate the myth that it’s an impossible task. No, if it wasn’t like that before, it’s because it was wrong. That was just wrong. Now we’re just doing what’s natural.”

“This character is probably the most dynamic character that I’ve ever played,” Larson said, which is saying something when you think of films like Short Term 12 and Room. “We’ll see what the movie is but, as of now, it’s been the most range I’ve ever played in a character. I’ve had to go through every emotion possible with her. And a lot of this movie, although it has great comedy in it, there’s also real depth to it and emotion.”

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I think hers will be yes. I'm also getting an original story vibe for the Fury we all know and love. This is going to be an eye opener (lol) for him, and sets him on the path.

17. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I think that:

Telos will be responsible for Fury losing his eye. Hence his comment to Rogers in TWS about trusting a person and losing an eye as a result.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Or it could be Goose. That's why I thought might happen at the end of the trailer.

Master_Lok likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    the standing up shot is so good that I'm almost certain it is in the movie proper itself as not just a trailer jumble.

Anyway, honestly, I'm stoked cuz this looks like the most Nick Fury we've gotten in a movie in, well, possibly ever in the MCU. And it's 1990s Samuel L Jackson that I'm shocked they somehow got him into this!

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    At least the most Nick Fury since The Winter Soldier.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    it may be a toss up between Winter Solider, Avengers and this one but WS he's sidelined for about an hour, Avengers he's in it a lot but drops out of being the main focus of scenes spends most of the climax on the bridge. Carol is basically going to need an Exposition Buddy in this movie and it looks like Fury will be it. And he's billed 2nd on the poster. So hopefully it's basically the Carol and Nick Fury Show with a few space alien interludes.

Yodaminch and PCCViking like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the first 3rd of the film will be Fury-heavy, the middle third will be Carol back in space with Fury left behind and the last third will be her coming back to save earth from invading forces with a little Fury subplot for cut-aways during that segment. In total, I don't think you're going to get more Fury than the other movies if only because you have to keep in mind he's a special effect almost everytime he's on the screen so they're not going to use him in every part of the film.

23. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    There's a recent pic of some CM action figures out there that suggests you could very well be right.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I saw those pics of the Captain Marvel figures this morning, especially the Nick Fury one. Not really a spoiler for folks familiar with the comic books.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's hard being a toy collector and not getting spoiled. The Giant Man surprise in the Captain America: Civil War was spoiled for me because of the toy photos.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Giant Man was spoiled for me on Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast cuz they were talking about the Giant Man Civil War toys. :/

Tangentially related factoid, re. Disney and Toys. Now we know that the Hulk busts out of the armour is a toy but the Russos remain mum on the fact if that happened in the movie. Well, here's another example of Disney and toys and merch and stuff being cut from the film in this case Ralph Breaks the Internet

https://www.slashfilm.com/ralph-breaks-the-internet-easter-eggs/

Can you talk about Pancake Milkshake? Because that was such a phenomenon with the trailers and the marketing. And I’m guessing it had a place in the movie at some point.

Moore: Definitely, yeah.

Can you tell us like what the original purpose was?

Moore: Well, it was one of the online games that they visited when they were loot hunting. After they met Spamley. And that section got really long. Where it was like we just need to get to Slaughter Race and trying to get Shank’s car. We’re spending too much time in this beat that really has nothing to do with the story. Everyone gets what loot hunting is. We don’t have to kind of show it.

But you had this trailer out there that people loved.

Moore: Yeah, so Pancake Milkshake was one of the first things that we animated, too. So it was finished as a complete thing, and it ended up, and the people that make our trailers were like, “Oh we wanna use this in the trailer.” Like great. So it’s in the trailer. And then suddenly it’s like that’s when we hit that point where it’s like we need to cut it. We can’t keep it in just because it’s in the trailer. And people were saying, “Well, but they’re making the plush and the Funko figures.”

[​IMG]

There’s a whole toy line.

Moore: Yeah, and it’s like, “Well, I’m sorry, but it’s, I mean, it’s a case of like if it is not serving the story, we can’t keep it in there.” So then Phil was the one who had the idea of like, what if we make it a end credits scene? Kind of a post-credits scene. And it’s a joke about that the little girl in the car is upset that it wasn’t in the movie. And it just leads right into the Mom saying, “Oh, play your game. That’ll make you feel better.” And then we have the scene as it was.