main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Highway robbery of Warhammer 40k

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TK-421 Is vader, Jan 1, 2019.

1. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    What can I say, I don't have a drop pod to hand at the moment. A cursory glance at the dreadpod is how I arrived at that particular conclusion and most pictures of drop pods I've seen are at angles where only two prongs are highly distinct.

The stock photos of drop pods are almost always blue with hazard stripes and GW almost always paints them as such. It's a bit like X-wings being red, or star destroyers being grey.
    Also, gratuitous hazard stripes aren't a star wars thing in general, they are in 40k.
    So he put gribble onto it, to shoddily disguise what it was. Big woop, he'd have been better off just painting it imperial grey. Even the distinct cut outs on it are in a location where there's a different textured panel on 40k drop pods, that has similar diagonal at the ends.
    @Jedi Ben a thrilling discussion as to whether or not a blue, hazard striped, tapered, pronged, pod that falls from the sky with leaf shaped doors is in fact a copy of another blue, hazard striped, tapered, pronged, pod that falls from the sky with leaf shaped doors. I am firmly leaning towards it being so.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Why? It's not an Imperial drop pod.

3. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    It's not an ultramarine drop pod either, didn't stop them there. We never see where they got it actually, so it very well could be.

4. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    It's used by a colorful band of mercenaries dressed in fairly bright pastels, including Aphra, who is notable for having bright blue tattoos.

I honestly find your insistence that the color is this smoking gun of theft to be ridiculous. Like, seriously? The pod is blue so it must be stolen! Jeesh.

Daneira likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So are people going to cease buying Marvel comics because of this grand infraction?

Outsourced likes this.
  6. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    Right. I'm not interested in debating you in circles on this matter. Will we call it quits, or will I ask for a lock or what do you think?
    Like...I get where you're coming from here, but I just disagree with you quite firmly on it.

Sent from my BL5000 using Tapatalk

7. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    I am!

*okay, it's just because I can't afford them at the moment so it doesn't really count but ssssh look at my sacrifice for the greater good of intellectual property!

8. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    If you don't want to reply to me, fine. That's your right. But other people have brought up good points that you might want to reply to. Hell, i've made points you still haven't addressed. So, instead of shutting it down because you decided to respond to a point i've already made, perhapde one of those options would be more prudent?

9. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    It's also not one artist. You have a writer, who describes the image to various levels of detail depending on the writer and their relationship with the various people in charge of the pictures. You have a penciller making basic lines, an inker making final lines. You have a colorist, or team thereof.

OP, you started a thread accusing all of those people of conspiring together to commit IP theft. It's been explained to you why it's not IP theft, with photographic evidence, chief of those that it's not the same design. You could've said "Hey, this might be an homage I noticed, what other homages have you caught in recent/classic SW comics?" and we all could have had a good time. "How close does it have to be before it's theft?" Read a book, the Warhammer drop pod is a dumbed down version of Starship Troopers' same vehicle, which is itself a fictionalized expression of work theoretical engineers were doing at the time. If this is theft, that is too, and it's theft all the way down.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, that's actually pretty rare - putting your money where your mouth is.

It's also the only thing Marvel might take notice of.... Before axing the book for low sales, if you are very successful in encouraging others to do the same.

Exactly and, as it's Marvel, probably at high speed. Shortcuts are going to be taken to make the deadline - that's the reality. The expectation around SW comics art has gone skyhigh over the last few years and I'm not convinced it's a good road to take.

TrandoJedi and Jedi Princess like this.
  11. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I mean, like, if this is your thing, you could have talked about the actual incident of IP theft by marvel comics from Warhammer, in Venom.

Outsourced likes this.
  12. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    Ya know what guys? I'm sorry. Yeah you're right, it was dumb of me, it was late at night and we could have all had a nice chat about IP, homages etc.

13. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Alright then. Good on you man. Not enough people own up to their mistakes. Myself included sometimes.

14. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    Admitting I'm wrong on the internet... What have I done?

@Jedi Ben hah no, I'm not putting my money where my mouth is, I just don't have the money to buy them. I'll just use my special ability of scrounging off my rich friend instead!

Sarge and Jedi Princess like this.
  15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I'm not aware of this actually. What's the situation?

TK-421 Is vader likes this.
  16. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    A couple Tau (I think? I don’t play Warhammer) ships were traced to be background items in an issue of Venom: Spaceknight about four or five years ago. I think there might have been a lawsuit.

17. Sigismund

Sigismund Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    there was a marvel comic a few years back that just copy pasted some Tau vehicles
    [​IMG]
    now that was straight up stealing

the drop pod while clearly "inspired" is different enough to the 40k one, it's also nothing all that special, artist take inspiration from all kind of sources, it's hard to come up with a new unique designs for everything, especially when on a deadline

18. TK-421 Is vader

Jan 5, 2015
    I looked into the Tau thing...the same artist did it TWICE with Tau both times wow

19. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    That is absolutely blatant, yeah.

20. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    This is dumb. Sci-Fi/Fantasy has always gotten inspiration from other works, this is nothing new. If it had been the exact same designed drop pod with the Ultramarines symbol on it then maybe there'd be an issue, but it's not.

edit: I see we've reached this point already. nevermind me

21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Though I think in Blizzard's case, it's more them stealing for Warhammer too, down to the Fantasy/40K split.

22. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Lucas took photon torpedoes and changed the h to an r

23. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    That'd be interesting to look into, but its important to note that I don't have any issue with tracing especially if its an in-universe ship, I don't even have problems with Star Wars including material from other universes. Sci-fi tends to be inspired by each other, so I think that goes well. What I do have an issue with though, is taking a fan-made work and tracing it without even notifying the author which is pretty clear that he wasn't notified. Even if he is using the IP, its just for the sake of respect towards the fans, and it overall shows laziness that they just took a random ship off of google and put it in.

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    On the topic of fan-made stuff, didn't both Legacy and TFA use Huttese words that originated in an online fan dictionary?

25. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016