main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hippo!!! Marvel’s Moon Knight [Disney+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Master_Lok, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    It depends on who wrote MK. Moon Knight co-creator Doug Moench found out Marc Spector was a Jewish name and so it was accidental. Other writers have used Marc’s Judaism as plot point to excellent and sometimes awful effect, but it was established several times that Marc abandoned his faith for various reasons (My favorites tie into his increasingly violent progression.) The best was Marc turned his back on his faith and started fighting etc. because his father (a prominent rabbi) refused to fight back against neo-nazis who hurt him. Marc called his father a coward and was so angry he took up boxing and subsequently joined the Marines at 18. The Vengeance of the Moon Knight run shows Marc violently agreeing with his brother Randall at school, when a bully uses an anti-Semitic slur (after their yamuke wearing father drops them off) and tries to hurt Randall, only to be choked by Marc.

Interestingly, the current comic run posits Moon Knight as a “priest” so, in a way, he’s become a mix of his father and his own violence.

Ultimately, the Judaism is really just a great hook for the irony of a Jewish man being bound in service to an ancient Egyptian god. The original MK series did not linger upon it.

Regardless what the D+ series does with Marc’s faith, I’m fine with it. Oscar has portrayed a certain style of Jewish man pitch perfectly, so if they go there, he’ll nail it.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Sarge, darthbernael and Gamiel like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Seems like it’s a detail that makes the concept of the series much more interesting. Including the irony of being in service to an Egyptian God. A writer would have to be nuts, IMO, to not work with this.

PymParticles , Sarge, Rew and 2 others like this.
  3. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes and no. I love that detail myself, and am curious if Mohammad Diab and his wife touched upon that in their 200 page pitch for the D+ series.

Ultimately, though -as mentioned- it depends on the writer… Max Bemis exploited it horribly (as in quite poorly, but his run was the absolute worst Moon Knight run.)

J.M. DeMatteis and Alan Zelentz used Marc’s Judaism brilliantly, while Gregg Hurwitz almost weaponized it - using an actual slur (which surprised me.) I hope Jed MacKay sneaks into more Hebrew in the current comic series. That’s a very subtle way of addressing it.

I can see the D+ series gradually addressing it or skipping it. It is ripe for mining and I’m sure if it is addressed, it will be done in a clever way. I doubt we’ll see the arc with Jewish villain Zohar in live action though, which could address that bondage brilliantly. If Jed and the team bring Zohar back, I’ll be delighted. I always wished Zohar’s path was what they did with with Marc’s brother Randall but…nope.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Also, as someone whose immediate maternal heritage is both Egyptian and Jewish, I would personally like to see this for entirely selfish reasons.

5. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    =D=

As another person who is Jewish, I’d be happy to see Marc’s Judaism incorporated into the D+ series in a positive way (Moving beyond some comics, and my still in-process MCU fan fic.)

I’d love if both faiths were shown positively, somehow I think the show runners and writing team will do that.

Very hopeful we’ll see something on D+ Day on 11-12. I’ll lose my stuff if we’re shown more than official image(s). [face_batting]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  6. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Frankly, the only thing that could appeal to me more than truly integrating Moon Knight's dichotomy of a Jewish man serving an Ancient Egyptian god is introducing Alpha Flight, defenders of the great white north :p

But I do think there's a real opportunity to engage with subjects like religion, faith, spirituality, and of course mental health (and its implicit relationship with the aforementioned) in a way that you can't with any other Marvel character.

7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I’m surprised Alpha Flight haven’t been introduced, perhaps with the MCU X-Men.

Regarding the MK series, I’m confident they will engage with those subjects in a very meaningful, interesting and occasionally funny way that remains respectful. That’s partly why I’m hoping we see material from the LeMire/Smallwood run, especially in how that series resolves itself. Plus, Indiana Jones influences...

8. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Oscar Isaac and the character being exceptional aside, this alone has the series at the tippy top of my "most anticipate announced MCU projects" list.

9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Agreed. To see Indiana Jones added to my favorite character’s series on top of everything else, just makes me [face_love][face_dancing][face_love]

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ain't that
    [​IMG]
    From Darkstar & The Winter Guard #1

11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Nyet...commrade @Gamiel it's not. :p

Of the rumored appearances on the Moon Knight series I spitball:
    Sharon's Power Broker and Bruce Banner are the ones that make the most sense. Sharon could be the wrangler that sets up Marc (and Bushman & Frenchie)'s missions, and Bruce because Ruffalo was seen in Budapest. So perhaps Bruce is scouting for New Avengers and sees a kindred soul in Marc/Jake/Steven/Moon Knight/Mr. Knight.

I'm really curious about how Marlene will be brought into this (as in the original origin or something else entirely if Marc is the
    TV anchor in Cairo/produer etc.

Juliet316 and darthbernael like this.
  12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    darthbernael likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Spitballing:

This is all theories on my end… but from the footage it’s possible that Marc becomes Moon Knight by accident. That perhaps Ethan Hawke’s villain sent the master thief Midnight Man to retrieve a relic that either contains Khonshu or a key to Khonshu’s powers and Marc obtains it, is nearly killed for it and releases Khonshu. The trashed museum bathroom moment (MK from behind beating up someone in the clip) hints at that.

I also love that Oscar is doing a rather meek English accent for Marc too, that makes me wonder if they will go tweak his background for the tv anchor in Cairo. Using accents will be a great way to tell the alters apart, if he does different voices for each of them.

There were rumors a French actor was cast as Midnight Man too.

…I am very happy…

14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    There’s a little bit of extra footage in the European clip which clearly shows a
    shift from powered up Spector - white eyes and he’s surrounded by what looks like several innocent and very unconscious bystanders on the street, May’s character (Marlene?) being pulled into something, and a close up of part of the suit.

That last bit says that costume leak from August was the legit costume, which we surmised from Marvel’s legal team going after the leaker.

darthbernael and Juliet316 like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That extra clip (if it's what I;m thinking about) is also in the US version- it's just in the title montage at the end of the presentation (after they show a glimpse of Fury from, presumably, Secret Invasion).

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Everything I've seen so far looks very good. Looking forward to this one.

Juliet316, Luke02 and darthbernael like this.
  17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Oh official Moon Knight series description:

[face_blush]:rolleyes::oops:I noticed that After the edit time outs…was so excited I never watched to the end of the special until last night… [face_blush]:rolleyes::oops:

I really am eager to see who Ethan Hawke is playing. The series description might mean Ethan is
    patient 86 a.k.a. the Sun King who thinks he is the Egyptian Sun God Ra (and was a villain in Max Bemis’ godawful Moon Knight run). That said, the series creators may have tweaked the Sun King a bit -and if they did- I’ll be very relieved.

Ethan’s villain obviously
    knows about Khonshu and probably wanted whatever was in the bag Marc was running down that corridor with. I suspect Khonshu’s power or essence might be in the golden falcon statue seen in one shot.

If that statue does contain the power of Khonshu it would be a visual nod to an early MK issue where the master thief Midnight Man stole a golden Egyptian falcon statue from a museum.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    And so tired I repeated myself :rolleyes:, but I’ve noticed possible visual cues to Khonshu’s falcon form in the main costume
    (Looking at the cowl from above it has a very falcon head line).

And that Mr. Knight could possibly be an
    interim power up between Marc and Moon Knight (Looking at the gloves of both incarnations and thinking of the phases of the moon.). Moon Knight’s gloves are full on mummy bandages and opaque. Mr. Knight’s are translucent.

Whatever the case, being Mr. Knight and Moon Knight
    looks like it hurts psychologically and physically. That also goes with the dialogue of “The voice in your head…it devours you.”

And one other shot I love from the museum:
    after Marc looks at the golden falcon, his reflection is almost certainly another alter: stunned, watching Marc stumble out of frame. ^:)^ O:)^:)^I hope they use these almost out-of-body/astral projection shots a lot.

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The first thing I thought when I heard his accent was that it's an east-end Jewish accent. I was actually a bit worried that he'd gone a bit too Fagin, but nobody else seems to have picked up on it, so perhaps not. I'm sure that's what it is, though.

Master_Lok and darthbernael like this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This looks really good.

darthbernael likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'll get caught up on the other MCU shows and be able to watch this! I'm currently on season 1 of Runaways...

:(

BigAl6ft6 and darthbernael like this.
  22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    =D=
    =D=You never know. I wouldn’t put it past Oscar to try to find an accent that would fit the character and his central location.

I will be very happy if he uses different accents for Steven (an upper crusty tone), and Jake (more street and scrappy.)

Jake in the original MK run is a caricature of a street wise New Yorker, he’s almost unbearably obnoxious at times, but that characterization helps differentiate between the alters as it becomes too much for Marc to just act like these other men.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  23. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Street level vigilante superheroes lend themselves to the best storytelling, provided the proper balance is struck. For my money, Batman (and the entire bat-family), Daredevil, and Moon Knight are arguably more compelling than anyone else in Marvel or DC's stable of characters. Of course, that's just me; I'm sure it's entirely emotionally healthy that my favourite superheroes are damaged angry lunatics who beat people half to death with their fists to cope with "stuff." :p

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    You’re not alone. Indeed, these are the only kind of superhero stories I respond to. Emotional health, schemotional health!

25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    =D=As much as I adore Doctor Strange, it’s not surprising to me that I’d lean toward a sometimes supernatural and violent vigilante like Moon Knight to cope with “my stuff.” He’s a very positive aspect in my life -which is ironic- but there you go.

[face_batting]

There is something very cathartic about good vigilante stories.

And I cannot stop thinking about the teaser. Time to draw. :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021