main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hippo!!! Marvel’s Moon Knight [Disney+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Master_Lok, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    So the awesome Greg Smallwood generally used his likeness for Marc Spector in his beautiful Moon Knight run with Jeff LeMire. As I reread this run again yesterday, I thought this panel from issue 2 looks a bit like Oscar.[face_party]

[​IMG]
    Regarding the D+ teaser,
    A creepy entity with a bony build and glowing eyes can be skulking behind a terrified Marc in the museum. If it’s a petite Khonshu or a mummified jackal that’ll be great, but someone else thought what if it’s Moon Knight?!? which is brilliant.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    Gamiel, Juliet316 and darthbernael like this.
  2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm really excited for this one. Getting Oscar Isaac for the lead was a very smart move, he's such a good actor. And I've liked Gaspard Ulliel in the two things I've seem him in, I think he'll be a good bad guy for Oscar to face off against.

3. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    If Gaspard was indeed cast, he may be playing
    Midnight Man. It would make sense given the museum shoot, and that was who he was listed as by his agency.

Yes on Oscar.
    I know he’ll handle the juggling of potentially five characters with ease, and the teaser went a little hard with Marc’s very brutal boxing experience twice (I am equally psyched to see all that brutal fight training Oscar participated in manifest).

Also,I’m getting a bit of a Fight Club character shift vibe from the street brawl moment (his eyes flutter from white to normal and those innocent people are lying around him unconscious. This moment might be a great way of Marc seeing these people as hostile, and wink to the LeMire/Smallwood run where Marc saw the institutional orderlies as Jackal headed adversaries etc..)

Speaking of Fight Club, a few of us are also spitballing that Ethan could be a Tyler Durden alter for Marc (An alter that doesn’t look like Oscar).

Whatever they do, I expect unreliable narrator moments and sceanarios/characters being completely different or the opposite of what Marc sees and experiences. I’d love if we get some Legion-like weirdness.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I just did a quick reread of Ellis and Shalvey's all-too-brief, 6-issue run. Good stuff, still really fun a few years later, but I would have liked some more connective tissue between the individual stories. For any readers who are unfamiliar with Moon Knight, it serves as a good introduction to what his whole deal is without delving too deeply into the deeper, weirder aspects.

I'm planning to reread Lemire and Smallwood's run later this week, which in my opinion is one of the best things Marvel published last decade, along with The Vision, Fraction & Aja's run on Hawkeye, and Mark Waid's run on Daredevil.

darthbernael and Master_Lok like this.
  5. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Pardon my tangent/

I really love issues 3, 4 and 5 of the Shalvey & Ellis run (Issue 3 which debuted the Khonshu mummy bone armor costume is one of my most favorite Moon Knight costumes ever and that was a delightfully funny and sarcastic supernatural done-in-one Moon Knight story. 4 was creepy as hell (I loved Declan's trippy art) and 5 was a straight forward Raid/Dredd style story.) I put Declan first as it's his art and Jordie's colors that makes that run work for me.

As good as that run was, I think the Brian Wood/Greg Smallwood issue 8 that came shortly after just stomps all over what Ellis did especially in the very brief way and spectacular way Wood addressed Marc's alters (Steven and Jake.) The Jake Lockley slasher style mask & costume, and his actions are some of the scariest and most intense moments of Moon Knight getting violent on an adversary published. That sequence just stops me in my tracks when I reread it. - Confession, I'd cosplay as that Lockley MK in a heartbeat*. It's soulless and scary. That Lockley costume and his actions just hit those horror movie masked killer notes in the best of ways. I admit I wasn't fond Doctor Warsame who debuted in the Shalvey/Ellis series, but I did like Doctor Emmett in the LeMire/Smallwood run.

/tangent ends

The LeMire/Smallwood run is just amazing. Definitely my favorite Marvel storyline of the last decade, and among my top favorite and most reread Moon Knight series.

Agree on Fraction/Aja Hawkeye and Waid's /Rivera Daredevil. The art and characterization in those were fabulous (and as a graphic design nerd, I still love the art from both. David and Paolo's art is off the charts brilliant.)

I've really like the current Moon Knight run, issue 5 is out this Wednesday. I wonder if MK's current power up will be incorporated into the MCU (that would be pretty brilliant and very unnerving.)

*Despite loving the Jake Lockley costume and his vengeance, I wouldn't go there or Huston/Finch unhinged MK if I actually cosplayed it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Apparently, Moon Knight is mainstream enough to have totally unrelated memes. This turned up on a mechanics' page.
    [​IMG]

7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    =D=The random BS go has been a popular MK meme for years now. That’s great it keeps mutating into something else.

darthbernael likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    As a mechanic I feel that meme. :p

darthbernael , Sarge and Master_Lok like this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Random bull**** Go also describes the JCF. On a good day.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    darthbernael and Master_Lok like this.
  10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Hmmm… rewatched the teaser again.

Thinking Marc may indeed die and be resurrected by Khonshu in the museum. The cowering moment might be when Marc pleads to Khonshu to save him.

The shot where he looks in mirror —perhaps in the museum— bathroom may be after his resurrection. His appearance vaguely resembles the late May announcement photo (gaunt, haunted, dark circles etc.)

And, unless they change this in post production, at least some scenes where Oscar’s graying hair will be visible (as in the announcement photo). I wouldn’t be surprised if his hair is completely dark post resurrection.

Juliet316 and darthbernael like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I just love the shot of Moon Knight beating the bejesus outta someone in the slow take, that was sweet.

Master_Lok and darthbernael like this.
  12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I’m all but 100% certain we’ll see a lot of that in a variety of ways here. The sound of the punches is what gets me though, as if he’s beating someone to death.

Wondering if Ethan is playing Crossfire, The Profile or -eep- The Truth. All three are very well versed in mind control and manipulating people. I’d definitely prefer Crossfire or The Profile, as both have histories with Marc and are fleshed out enough for Hawke to really strut his stuff in subtle and blatant ways.

The Truth (whose arms are seen reaching for MK in the concept art behind Oscar in the announcement photo) is one of Bemis’ creations. I truly hope they skip that run. If they must use a villain from Bemis’ run may they tweak them so the character actually works.

Then again, if Ethan is Khonshu that would be brilliant.

Watching and hearing Ethan in The Black phone teaser trailer has me even more excited for his MK villain. He’s scary and intense in that teaser, which would fit the MK series perfectly.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    darthbernael likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    The foreign MCU social media and YT fan channels are claiming they’ve seen an official D+ press release stating that Moon Knight will be the first Marvel series to air on D+ in 2022 and that the violence levels will match the John Walker sequence in The Falcon and The Winter Soldier.

Okay, we already knew that the John Walker shield moment was a test of the MCU getting darker and more violent. I’d wager the Moon Knight teaser already equalled that moment with a bloodied Marc coming out of a super powered black out moment and the sound FX for the punch in the bathroom (Those sound like he literally punched that person/being to death.)

Oscar already let it leak (in that ET Canada interview) that he will not let his sons will not watch everything in MK, so we know they are going to push the envelope.

I can see this series going a bit farther (the rumor wages
    decapitation and there are ways to do that and remain PG-13.
    So for me, the dark angle and increased violence are not a surprise at all. Goes with the character and most of Marc’s alters.

Regarding the release date, the FX for Marc’s alters and his views of the world appear to be very subtle and creepy if going by the teaser, but we have no idea how elaborate the Egyptian pantheon and the ancient Egyptian (or
    New Egypt
    ), vistas will be. Plus the potential of Moon Knight’s cape. If he’s in the main costume fighting as he did in the training videos that’ll take some time to render.

I’ve looked in a few areas online to find this “official press release” to no avail, so I’ll take the release date rumor with a salt mine and the violence & dark aspects as yes, I knew that given how dark and violent Moon Knight can be.

The last rumor addressed in the Direct’s link proposes that Ethan’s villain is
    Patient 86, a.k.a. The Sun King. This has floated around for awhile now, but I also saw the concept art using another villain from the Bemis run, The Truth. So there’s a possibility the series mashed these two villains together and/or uses elements from both to create a new villain.

I still hope Ethan is playing a tweaked take on The Profile instead because that character was far more unnerving and did serve Khonshu at one point, so I could see them tweak The Profile to serve Ra or Set instead.

In any case, I’ll remain mum on release dates and such and not surprised on the increased dark vibes and violence.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    darthbernael likes this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Between this and The Batman early 2022 is gonna be great for vigilante superheroes with brutal takedowns of baddies.

15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    So there’s been chatter of the potential for a release date announcement for the Moon Knight series between now and next Tuesday.

I tracked down the source and they are guesstimating that it will be included in Disney’s 2022 press kit:

This is exactly why you cannot trust every last rumor floating around the internet.

After revisiting Daredevil, this show has a lot to prove for me with the drama and the action. I know Oscar and Ethan will bring it as only they can, but I’m dialing down my enthusiasm until I have reason to be in utter squee mode (As with the D+ footage).

So throwing that love into the comic right now which keeps pitching all these awesome curve balls at the character.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    darthbernael likes this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You can't really judge it by that metric since Daredevil was made by a different studio, and obviously different showrunners. The better comparison would be to the other D+ shows and the films. Or at least to Jeremy Slater's other works, like The Exorcist and The Umbrella Academy (but hopefully not Fant4stic).

darthbernael likes this.
  17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Speaking only for myself and respectfully, I can judge the metric, as a decades long fan of the character, that’s my metric. As far as Slater, I liked moments in The Exorcist and The Umbrella Academy.

Now, being a decades long fan of Moon Knight; I am very open minded to changes the MCU probably had to make in concession given how violent and troubled Marc continues to be in the comics etc.

For me, studios have nothing to do with it.

I found myself getting way too wrapped up in who is playing Marc/Moon Knight and not Marc, MK etc. I am putting a stop to that. As much as I like Oscar and think he’ll deliver, this is always about character for me. Oscar is not why I love Moon Knight, but he is and/or will be for a lot of people (which is fine).

So being that Daredevil nailed Matt and DD and all the facets of the character wonderfully, that’s what I would like for Moon Knight. That’s it. Not throwing any other expectation on characterizations, comic runs, villains, his origin etc. Not demanding anything, I just want to see a wonderful and hopefully brutal interpretation of the characters that make up Moon Knight. And Daredevil happens to be my bar in this case. Granted, the MCU has delivered wonderful interpretations of characters I love, but...

If the series doesn’t do that, I’ll be okay with that too; the comics are always there. Moon Knight can be many different things which is partly why I love him so much.

darthbernael likes this.
  18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Looks like there might be minor Moon Knight reshoots happening. Oscar’s brother Michael posted a photo to his IG stories yesterday via comicbook.com (which given his mask, comment and the MK crew jacket) led to the speculation.

I don’t follow Mike or Oscar’s wife’s IGs on purpose; but as folks here know, he was on set in Budapest last year.

I was expecting reshoots, given that 1) it’s an MCU thing, 2) and the minor rumors about Disney execs supposively freaking out over how dark and violent MK was turning out to be.

Eh...this could also push the series launch date back, which I’d prefer. I’d rather they take their time with this show.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I still say if it's too dark & violent for D+ USA just put it on Hulu and on Star on D+ everywhere else instead of trying to soften it. Or add that 18+ switch to D+USA. They have the technology!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    darthbernael likes this.
  20. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Well, Bobba Fett's episode today showed EXACTLY how vioence is dealt in Disney+: there were Wookie bitting people ( and gamorreans), stabbing, impalation, people being thow away several yards against walls, falling down stairs, etc and obviously not a single drop of blood.
    And that's what is to be expected in this series.

darthbernael likes this.
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... I have to ask why now? :p

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    :DNot interested in Mike’s action figure channel and several Oscar fan pages rerun Elvira’s IG posts, so there’s no need. Besides, I tend to obsess on the characters rather than actual people.

I do follow Oscar & Elvira’s production company since that is the IG where Oscar’s Moon Knight training videos originated from. :cool:

@nilzo antonio There will be blood. Probably a la Walker Shield kill style, they’ve already shown Marc rather bloody in the teaser. Hint at it and show a pinch of the aftermath. Implied violence can be pretty horrible too.

Also, a clever thing they can do to hide blood is borrow from Ronin’s Endgame massacre where it was color graded into a gray tone, and/or Daredevil series by using red lighting: perfect way to make it blend in, but the blood was there. I suppose Disney+ are grateful that Marvel didn’t use Blood Moon as Moon Knight’s name after all. :p

I know there is absolutely no way Disney will ever go as Italian horror film gory as the first season of DD was (Different company and family friendly etc.), so I’m not expecting anything like that.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    darthbernael likes this.
  23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Rumored D+ launch date is March 30th.

We’ll see if that sticks.

24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    That would line up with the Obi-Wan series premiering on May 4th.

Juliet316 and darthbernael like this.
  25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Oh nice! May 4th is perfect for Obi-Wan. And if MK date sticks then, we may get episodes 1-2 so MK ends before Obi-Wan and Doctor Strange 2.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    darthbernael and Juliet316 like this.