main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Historical references in the prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Tonyg, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016

Haha, oops, good catch. I must admit I was (lazily [face_blush] ) going off of my >10 year old memories of reading about the Civil War. I must have been thinking of the fact that many of the states had already seceded several months before the inauguration, even though of course you're correct that the first shots weren't fired until after.

Appreciate the explanation of the Southern mentality in the years running up towards the war. It's of course understandable how the incorporation of free states like Oregon and California into the union was perceived as a direct threat to the South's ability to maintain the status quo. I still stand by my original assertion though that the decision to secede/fire the first shots of the war was a short-sighted one born of entitlement and arrogance (much like the seperatist leaders in AOTC). Entitled, because they thought they were owed an equal share of power despite being an ever-dwindling portion of the population whose practice of slavery was gradually becoming less and less accepted by the mainstream; and arrogant, because they discounted the likelihood that such a war would bring about their people's own ruin. And while "States' rights" was the justification for secession, they had not been so keen on those only ten years earlier with the Fugitive Slave Act that required northern states to respect southern state slavery laws.

Even though it was becoming clear by 1860 that the numbers were turning against them, which indeed in the long run did pose a threat to their way of life, I think if they had chosen to work through the political system instead of seceding they could have successfully kept the practice of slavery running for quite some time (Lincoln himself was not even advocating an end to slavery, despite being an anti-slavery president, and they could have kept the threat of secession in reserve as a trump card), and eventually secured favorable terms for a transition out of slavery. And by that time, advances in technology likely could have softened the blow of losing slavery. I think, though, that they had unfortunately become too reactionary/stuck in their ways to be willing to even contemplate such an outcome. In that way they remind me a bit of the Spartans, another heavily tilted slave-owning society that became so rigidly conservative that over the course of a few centuries they went from the most powerful and respected state in Greece to little more than an out-of-the-way tourist destination for the Roman elite who wanted to observe their odd customs. Perhaps something about being an imbalanced society like that, or the constant fear of slave rebellions, makes a society rigid to the point it has trouble adapting to changing times.

2. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    While in this thread the problem of the slavery and its traces in PT was discussed vastly I would like to emphasize on some details regarding the discussion about Shmi potential liberation after TPM (I mean not what the Lars did but what could be done by anybody in the Republic).
    Let‘s begin with the less possible person who could (i.e. could not) liberate Shmi and that is Padme. Why? Indeed because she is queen (and later Senator) her intervention in Tattoine internal affairs would mean only one thing: war. Is not that she couldn‘t try to buy it as ordinary citizen (if Watto agrees at all) but in this case the laws of the Republic would stop her because participating in the slave trade even with noble motives is participation in acts of slavery, i.e. crime (the funny thing as The_Phantom_Calamari noticed in another thread is that Qui Gon didn‘t do that, he won a bet and the consequence was Anakin‘s liberation). This means that anybody in the Republic could officially try to liberate Shmi in the way Clieg Lars did (buy her) even if he/she had the means and even if Watto agree with that (because it was obvious that Qui Gon tried after selling the pod but Watto was too angry of all these losses to permit it). The only way could be direct intervention by the Republic government, but paradoxically this couldn‘t be an option as such pretention could only be based on the fact that she is mother of one Republic citizen (Anakin) but as the internal rules of the Jedi Order practically exclude this connection between mother and son, such pretention couldn‘t be claimed. The only way would be some unauthorized (I mean officially by the Council) secret operation just to take Shmi from Tattoine or something like that but the only Jedi who could do that was killed in the end of TPM.
    While all these options are not explicitly shown in the movies, I think they are clear enough but maybe not for everybody. Maybe many fans just don‘t realize that paradoxically the antislavery legislation put restrictions even to those who want to see the slaves free.

3. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Rewatching the prequels I still consider these rich cultural, historical and political references one of their biggest strengths. Yes, it is a galaxy far away but they help it look ... familiar to viewers.

4. Sarlacc of Carkoon

Sarlacc of Carkoon Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 21, 2015
    I think that I heard somewhere that Lucas said that the whole concept of palpatine and his political rise to emperor was based off Richard M Nixon.

5. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    More lik Caesar. It is commented earlier in this thread.

6. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016

I feel like TPM's plot comes off more confusing than it needs to be because Lucas put himself in awkward writing spot when he wanted to keep Palpatine's identity. So, he couldn't have a scene where Palpatine explains his plans to someone(possibly Darth Maul) without exposing his identity. In the movie's defense, the movie is called ''Phantom Menace'' but the movie does rely on the mystery plot way too much even by the standard.

7. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    As TPM is discussed again, I would add the slavery problem as social and historical reference. In my opinion TPM shows briefly yet very clear what is to be a slave. Is not necessary to be put in chains or be tortured or beaten. Simply is to be treated as property: as object and not as real person. That's why "I'm a person and my name is Anakin" is one of the crucial sentences of TPM and and the story of Anakin himself. Anakin wants to be identified as person and not someone's other live droid who do some tasks for the owner.
    Watto to is not the worst owner, by the way, but that doesn't make the slave .. well less enslaved. He/She is still someone who cannot go where he/she wants and even cannot avoid doing things that doesn't want to do. Like for example working all day long while being only 10 years old or going to races that are dangerous even for adult human. Yes, the horrible consequences of the slavery are shown in a subtle yet very distinctive way.

8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Tonyg, I agree that TPM does a powerful and painful job of showing the consequences of slavery in a subtle but ultimately very important way. You're absolutely right that to be a slave doesn't mean to be put in chains, tortured, and beaten though those experiences may be painful parts of slavery for some people. To be a slave, you have to be treated as property to be bought and sold without regard to your dignity, rights, or free will. Slavery in that sense can be understood as the most degrading and dehumanizing experience. That's part of the reason why Anakin's line about being a person whose name is Anakin always gives me the shivers, since it is a staunch refusal to be dehumanized. It is an insistence on being treated as a human being rather than as some sort of object who can be made to work and bought or sold with no consideration of dignity and rights.

I think you are spot-on when you say that Watto isn't the worst slave owner on Tatooine, and that is part of what makes the portrayal of slavery in TPM more subtle. Anakin's experience as a slave might be seen as "not that bad" because he isn't chained and constantly being beaten, but he is still being utterly exploited beyond the ability of most modern people to really imagine. As a little boy, he's being forced to work long days in a crazy hot climate without pay or any effort to provide him with a formal education. Anakin is one of those slaves in history who was "well-treated" because he had useful skills that could be exploited but even while he was "well-treated" he was still terribly abused and placed into dangerous situations like the Podraces that obviously inflict significant psychological trauma on his mother. I also think we see beyond TPM how slavery has left psychological scars on Anakin. Both Anakin and Shmi in my opinion show how no slave is ever really "well-treated." Even if a slave isn't being beaten and chained, they are being exploited and subjected to unfathomable psychological trauma.

MarcJordan, Discipulus and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I agree and I would add a small detail: actually there are chains but as they are invisible and most people kinda ignore them.
    The tracker put in the slave's body is sort of hi tech chains. Is even worse as they can blow you up when you flee which is unthinkable if the slave had a real chain. Some things are even more cruel exactly because they are more subtle.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  10. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Tonyg, that's true, there's a technological chain around the slaves. A technological chain that can kill them. That's got to inflict a terrible amount of psychological trauma on the slaves of Tatooine.

11. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Agreed. I also don't mind that the historical references were simplified to not bog the trilogy down.

12. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    this is brilliant video I think that discuss especially the politics in PT in detail. I'll post it here also to revive a little this thread as there are some good finding about the historical references here. I disagree with the author in a small detail: the escapism doesn't mean to detach from real world comepletely but to see our world in a way it can be if it was possible. So it is possible for a movie to be escapist and rich in political and cultiral allusions in the same time.

KyleKartan likes this.