main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit History of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kez-Iban, Mar 30, 2015.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Also give me an explanation for Marka Ragnos.

2. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    And you guys said they'd never continue Legends. :cool:

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, LFL said that. :p

I'm sure it's still true -- from a certain point of view.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

4. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Did they say they'd 'never' present any new Legends material? I don't recall anything definite, statements concerning 'no present plans', yes, etc. But wasn't familiar with any definitive NO NEVER.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's exactly what I'm saying. They had no plans to continue Legends -- until they did.

If that's what they're doing.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Whatever this is, I don't think it could be seen as "continuing" Legends in any way that FFG and TOR haven't been doing all along. If the bar is just "new products set in that universe", then Legends never really stopped.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The problem is, Coop, is that there has been fans that are insistent that there are no new Legends material after the announcement, and that every exception somehow doesn't count, or something. I'm sure they'll just be moving the goalposts further on this one, too.

But on a more positive note, this new work sounds fantastic. Definitely on my 'buy' list.

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Was that silly name one of the things McEwok came up with? It definitely seems like one of the things he would have found deeply clever.

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Who is McEwok?

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I hope we learn about Soa, Daegen Lok, Sek'nos Rath, Ajunta Pall, and Xoxaan.

11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Paul Urquhart, the co-author of Essential Guide to Warfare. He was a regular in Lit, under the name Thrawn McEwok.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    I'll take a Kipling pun over Sheev any day of the week.

(Isn't a "sheev" a homonym for a bunch of wheat? Or a misspelling for a crude knife? :p)

Any chance we might hear more on this book at or after Celebration? It seems like something they'd want to hype at that event. [face_thinking]

13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    The problem with books like these is that Lucasfilm also promised they'd make all material going forth canon. (Reprints aside of course)

Bringing out new "Legends" material sort of defies that.

Not saying I don't want this book, just that if they're going to allow these new legends source-books, they need to more clearly define this fact. And define TOR and the other titles.

Then again, I suppose I like the ambiguity, because I personally have not abandoned any pre-PT canon, nor do I intend to until left with no choice.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

I don't know how to process this.

Rynobot, Ulicus , CooperTFN and 3 others like this.
  15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It's meant at face value. I've vaguely heard of a "Thrawn McEwok" before, but I didn't know which of the real life authors of TEGTW to associate him with until just now.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That is exactly why I posted that. To think the day has come where a Lit regular doesn't know the name McEwok, or at best associates him with Warfare... yeah, I don't even.

McEwok's one of Lit's brand names, if you will -- like Genghis, C19, Val, and many others over the years. Like the rest of that list, he was quite a character.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Now I want to see that in a book.

Also is this book Canon or legends.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    They are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    My first encounter with the name was seeing it on st-vs-sw.net, where he was mentioned as an example of someone whose point of view differs significantly from stardestroyer.net (and got insulted a lot as a result - which was one of the things that convinced me never to join star destroyer.net in the first place).

I then saw it in the back of The Essential Atlas, as one of the "with thanks to" bit in the credits at the end.

I then saw it on the temporary forums, in the thread discussing The Essential Guide to Warfare.

I joined that forum, then this one when it reactivated.

I haven't seen him post for a few months, but after a recent marathon read-through of the Fleet Junkie thread, I got a pretty good idea of what McEwok's preoccupations were - who tended to agree with him (at least some of the time) and who tended to disagree strongly with him.

20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I do have to admit, for something promising to make sense of Legends, the presence of Mon Cal and Nikto in a very PT looking senate building in an artwork labeled "Birth of a Republic" does not sound...well...promising. Especially since the Mon Cal's facial expression looks a bit odd to me.

On the other hand, I always like seeing races not being pigeonholed, so seeing a Nikto as an important Republic politician instead of a thug is interesting.

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe it's the birth of the post-Ruusan Republic. The post-Ruusan Republic is often said to be a different Republic.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    [​IMG]

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope to get more info from between DOTJ to TOTJ. 20,000 years of history.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Pretty sure the cleverest parts of that book, including Darth Naga Sadow and Vergere torturing Tahiri, all trace back to him.

25. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I wonder how much he had to restrain himself (or how many times Jason Fry had to veto him) from including a reference that Anakin Solo was really Ben's father.