main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit History of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kez-Iban, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Its not favorites when Vergere has no business being written into being a Sith, because Denning didn't understand Traitor's place in the narrative of the NJO.

Vthuil likes this.
  2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Now all we need is for Excellence to make a reappearance.

If there's a single posting style I miss above all, it's that one.

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I feel like a band is getting back together, or something... [face_laugh]

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    History of the Literature Forum thread.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  5. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    I feel vaguely obliged to reply to this, as the idea of not playing favourites was my contribution to the thread. Personally, I don't see what's wrong with a Force user who repudiates the light/dark duality using a Sith self-identifier that she refuses to repudiate in Traitor...? After all that scene establishes that she uses the term as part of the point she's making in that book.....

I also don't personally think that any of the post-NJO novels tell us anything about Vergere, just about what other characters claim and believe...

Her cameo in the LEGACY comic is rather harder to wrangle, though... not impossible, in any sense. Just a reminder that there are a lot of views of her, and a completist like me likes to respect that...

... which has nothing to do with the topic, which is this new tie-in thing... my suspicion is that it might be heavily focused on TOR the game...?

*Ewok grin*

[face_peace],
    Mac

Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    "Playing favorites" is Zeta's middle name.

7. Rebel_Loyaltist

Rebel_Loyaltist Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2001
    According to Leland from a panel today, in regards to content about the Old Republic, he said "It's definitely not all the table.

http://www.starwars.com/news/swca-one-big-story-star-wars-canon-panel-liveblog

What I'm choosing to take away from this: They have plans to go explore the events of the Old Republic era(s), but haven't really put effort into as the majority of work is going towards everything from post Episode III to Episode VII.

8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    That's disappointing to here.

I suspect the money is all post-RoTJ and what the wider, non fan base, audience will want to see and read. Apart of me feels Disney might be lazy and just canonize the whole Old Republic era to appease the fans, but I doubt it; could be left in this limbo stage - if there is no really effort to explore this time period.

9. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    SOURCE

TJ Wright: At the end of last year/beginning of this year I did some work for a book titled 'History of the Old Republic' which was intended to make sense of the Star Wars: Legends stuff that used to be part of the Expanded Universe. It's been all quiet since I did the work so I'm not sure what's happening with it.

spicer likes this.
  10. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Wonder if this is an indication that Disney is thinking about making an Old Republic canon movie here sooner rather than later.

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I have suspected from the first they want to re-write everything.

12. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    That's a shame. I doubt this book was started before the buyout, so I wonder what has changed since last year that made Disney reconsider it.

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

I'm sure they are planning out far in advance what types of Star Wars movies they want to make and what eras they want to explore.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That Wright hasn't heard anything doesn't neccesarily mean anything. It could just be that he's already done his part.

15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    That doesn't really matter given it's using the EU continuity, though. I mean, they're still reprinting post-ROTJ EU stuff and the X-wing EU stuff despite the upcoming movies, not to mention they still have TOR running and reprinting Old Republic era EU stuff too.

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Yeah but I think the diffference was while those were individual stories this looked to be more of a sourcebook. If they plan on developing their own Old Republic here in the next ten years or so I doubt they would want potential buyers to get confused on which History of the Old Republic sourcebook they were buying.

17. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Personally I would like to see Dawn of the Jedi being completely ignored and forgotten, but that is just me.

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think Iron_lord was expressing curiosity about what happens within Legends, not a desire for canonization.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I know, I was doing a Zeta1127

[face_monkey]