main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Hit it." - Star Trek: Strange New Worlds [Paramount+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 10, 2022.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's amazing two of the best Trek shows in recent memory (The Orville and Strange New Worlds) both air on the same day...

Rylo Ken likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, this was certainly a goofy episode... it's not the type of show any Trek since TOS would have necessarily attempted (TNG would have done a holodeck or Q story spin which puts things in an entirely different viewing context). And, to be honest, there's probably a good reason for that. It doesn't really work in modern TV as much as it did in the 60's where TOS had more of a sitcom flair about it.

And I think the reason is it breaks the reality of the show (not just in the show ;) ) and has the actors essentially acknowledging that they are actors and not the characters. And, I mean, obviously that's the case, but the whole point of the show usually is, and should be, to make the viewer forget that. So reminding us of that can break the suspension of disbelief. Tear down the 4th wall.

TNG's closest equivalent would probably be the times they had characters swap species makeup or overtly had alien performers out of makeup, etc. In those cases, you really need to pull things off juuuust right to make things work and get the viewer back on board after switching gears, etc. In TNG's case that usually meant getting the makeup swap out of the way quickly so that there was time to readjust.

In this case, I think the reason SNW didn't pull it off is that it doesn't get it all out of the way and requires constant readjusting so that you never really get your "disbelief footing" back.

And that it's paired with a generic TOS god entity instead of a narrative device (like the holodeck) which, in of itself, could be the single umbrella moment encompassing all subsequent moments of disbelief that can basically pre-load all of them at once up front, renders it even bumpier since it, too, is basically a tag and not a starting premise.

That might be why this episode was kinda boring, even though, like the prior episode (itself also a half mis-fire, TOS camp throwback) the goofiness can be enjoyed in spurts. Unlike the last episode, however, I hope nothing from this episodes carries forward into future episodes.

So, the show has hit a 3/4ths point slump in the season. However, I guess i can kinda appreciate that, on a sliding scale, since they are mostly stand-alone, that that in of itself is a quality familiar to past Trek shows, versus DIS or PIC where you don't really have any slumping, misfire episodes but, rather, due to the serialized nature of the storytelling, the occasional slumping subplot that dots in and out of the major plots through the season.

I actually agree. As much as they say that it's still "your" matter/energy, there's a decisive point, IMO, where consciousness has to cease and a new replica commences. It's just that, to the replica, it would all be continuous (which would explain Barclay's POV mid-transport, etc). I don't even think Trek tech has a way of actually being able to prove a continuous consciousness through transport since the entire affair is so intimately subjective.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    Rylo Ken likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This episode kind of reminded me of those TOS episodes where they're like "well we have a bunch of native / cowboy / Nazi costumes on loan, let's make an episode out of it" But basically the whole thing was worth it for Pike as the cowardly court member. "Unhand me, you rogue!!"

Surprisingly heavy ending but the actor for M'Benga really sold the happy/sadness. I guess that's one way to wrap up a plotline.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, uh... yeah.

We had Aliens + Predator + Terminator 2 all in one... and not even the season finale, and we're down two main cast members (one permanently)...

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Pike should have known better than to lead a landing party on LV-426

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm not a horror fan, so that didn't do much for me.

You'd think they'd have put a little effort into not making it Alien Trek.

They could have done a lot more with Hemmer. He didn't get a single episode of his own.

Pike as ship's dad is gold.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    So I'm already completely ready for the reveal that
    the Gorn inside Hemmer died from the freezing cold that Hemmer is naturally immune to. I want Hemmer back and I'm already not mad at the fluffy snowbank we will learn he landed in.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    By way of Alien 3!

And, yeah, I'm shocked that they Tasha'd Hemmer. He was my favorite supporting character and I really wanted to see more stories focusing on him- or at least more stories that didn't use him as a telepathic conduit. Let's go fluffy snowbank!

The other humanoid species was really cool, though. i hope their eventual need to reuse assets will mean we can get more of that species.

And can someone clarify me the tech deets on the other ship (didn't catch its name- they seemed to alternate between Faragut and Persephone? Or something like that...)? They said it was a different class (also didn't make out the name) but it looked like another Connie, yet the crew complement suggests it was much smaller. Then the Doctor says it is "vast" and made of the same parts as a Connie... which would imply it's basically the same size (or bigger)?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ I thought M'Benga said it was fast. That could imply smaller, not bigger.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, that makes more sense!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As did Christina Chong. Trivia: That's her actual dog [face_love]

Juliet316 , Sarge and dp4m like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Interview with episode writer about futzing with Gorn canon (nobody really knows anything about them and they're called "genetic chameleons" so they can change around which is probably why they keep looking different every time we see them)

Anyway another time honoured Trek tradition like Macrocosm and First Contact of homage-ing to Alien/Aliens so gets a pass. I always wonder why in these alien encounter situations that why doesn't the group just huddle in a corner with all the phasers pointing outward, that should work!

still in denial about Hemmer, I think he was a victim of Tasha syndrome and/or the more recent prestige drama Ned Stark syndrome of killing off a likable character early in S1 (you'd think the writers/producers would notice that the character is clicking and they don't proceed to kill them off). Also there was that whole mess with Doctor Cubler in Discovery S1. not a whole lot of outs there for Hemmer though, a monster exploded out of him and he fell off a cliff. but it's Star Trek and dying can be temporary, we didn't see him go splat and he likes the cold....? Maybe he'll be back next week / season fine and dandy.

Interview with Hemmer actor, he said he knew he was gonna bite it at the audition
    “I knew right off the bat,” Horak tells Inverse. “[Showrunner] Henry Alonso Myers told me in the Zoom audition before I even had my [prothestic] head mold made. He told me that I was gonna go.”

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    blackmyron and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I mean, the Gorn appeared in literally only one other episode, and little was established (beyond conflicting stuff from RPGs which I doubt had any influence).

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Two, if you don't discount the mirror universe.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    What’s Star Trek without an OP species as recurring antagonists? :p

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it'd be pretty funny if they make these out to be the "normal Gorn" and start to set up some kind of special occurrence that is creating a "Mega Gorn" of sorts and just build up that subplot and drop it cold.

Then flash forward 5+ years to the Mega Gorn's debut:

[​IMG]

18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I do.
    Discount it, that is. :p

19. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    "Hit it"

Dew it

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    where'd Newt go anyway, after the explodey bit I totally missed out of what happened to her. Did she hide in the vents again?

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I didn't like that they killed Hemmer. We barely got to know him. I also don't think Trek should be like Game of Thrones with Shocking Deaths. Did the actor want out?

Not a big fan of the Gorn either. It's been a long time since I saw it, but wasn't the point of "Arena" that the whole thing was a big misunderstanding and the Federation was in the wrong?

scienfictionfan and Sarge like this.
  23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    No, the point of "Arena" was that superpowerful races in the galaxy like to remind the lesser races that they are the bosses

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am suspicious that the answer lies in the conspicuous lack of prosthetics or makeup for all remaining crew members.

25. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Apparently, he knew the character’s fate during the audition process.

Sarge likes this.