main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Hit it." - Star Trek: Strange New Worlds [Paramount+]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 10, 2022.

1. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Okay, so something that popped into my mind.

Roger Corby disappered in 2261, and Kirk says Chapel gave a career in bio-science to sign abourd a starship with hope of finding him, so how are they going to play this?
    • Was Chapel already in Starfleet when Corby disappeared and simply working planetside?
    • Is "signed aboard a starship" supposed to mean that she joined Starfleet? If so, that would mean SNW has to be post 2261 since she's obviusly a Starfleet officer in the promos, right?
    Both could work, but the latter might explain why Kirk has captains bars in the promo since it would put the show within, at most, five years of TOS.

Anouther oddity I've been mulling over for a while; Uhura is called a "twenty year space veteran" in 2285, which would mean that she's either been in Starfleet since 2265 or that at least started serving in space at that date. But I doubt we're supposed to take that line literally - it could easily be that she's been in Starfleet for less then thirty years and Mr Adventure is rounding down (remember this a line from the same movie that says the Enterprise is only years old when it's actually forty years old).

Or you know, he's just younger it's a deliberate choice to show a less-evolved character?

Spock's a total doofus in The Cage/Managerie flashbacks, screaming out annoucements and smiling widely in joy, after all.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Maybe "20 year space veteran" is how much of her career was in space. She may have had some groundside assignments in addition to her space tours.

Juliet316 and K2771991 like this.
  3. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    @Sarge so twenty years in space, but not consecutive?

That actually makes sense; not a possibility I had considered, thanks!

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, she is a cadet in Strange New Worlds as well, right? Her service record may not start until she's officially commissioned, or she may teach at the Academy like Kirk a bit...

5. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    That could work; maybe she's a first year cadet who ends up getting drafted for a specific mission and then stays aboard for the rest of her academy term becuase she impresses Pike so much* - if the show starts in 2261 (going by the Corby date and the assumption Chapel only joined Starfleet after he disapeared) then she would have graduated in 2265.

*Pike says in her character trailer that he'd be "impressed if she makes the cut"; maybe "the cut" is some sort of extended "work study" that they only give to the best cadets?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  6. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    [​IMG]
    I'm not saying I'm in love, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    People will watch it.

There wouldn't be so much investment into Trek if it wasn't getting the ratings, that's just not financially practical.

Even the Trek fans who constantly bash the modern shows are going to watch this

Juliet316 and TX-20 like this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

Interesting take on the theme. It's more energetic than the recent ones, but those really grew on me after a few episodes and I suspect this one will too. Especially once there are more contextual renditions of it.

EDIT- Bless the fandom:

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ Beautiful visuals.

"And that's all I have to say about that."

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm holding off watching the intro until the episode drops at 3 AM Monday. Unless I get boozed and break down and watch it on youtube before then. But, yay, Captain's Oath!

TX-20 likes this.
  11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    As a huge fan of The Original Series, I couldn't be more excited to watch this.

Wait, Monday? I'm seeing the premiere episode listed on CTV Sci-Fi for 9:00 PM EDT on Thursday, May 5, and it should be streaming on Crave the next day.

TX-20 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Sorry I mistyped, I meant Thursday at 3 AM. it is going to be on Crave but I think, like Picard, it will drop at 3 AM instead of having to wait for CTV-Sci-Fi 9 PM Thursday and Crave on Friday like Discovery did this season. I've been able to watch all of Picard at 3 AM Thursday before the 9 PM Thursday CTV-Sci-Fi airing. The Crave list for this month says "Crave on Thursdays" which translate to 3 AM EST. Basically with Picard you could watch it on Crave before it was on CTV-Sci-Fi unlike Discovery where you had to wait for the 9PM Thursday airing first. I'm 90% certain this will be the same as Crave lists it as being added on Thursday.

TX-20 and PymParticles like this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Got it, thanks for the clarification – I got completely turned around on when it hits Crave vs cable TV.

BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    That really didn't take long did it.[face_laugh]

15. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    How far into the first episode will it take for fans to decide that what they've seen is already better than all of Discovery, Picard, Lower Decks, and Prodigy combined?
    • My guess? Ten minutes. Possibly earlier if Pike beds an alien babe or Spock mentions he has no sister.
    And by which episode will it be decided that it's just as bad as the others?
    • My guess? Episode 5 or 6. Possibly earlier if Spock mentions his sister by name.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Burnham and Discovery did get mentioned in the S2 finale that nobody can talk about them under penalty of torture or something, it would fit.

Juliet316 and TX-20 like this.
  17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Is Pike that much like Kirk?

I think the episodic format will help it feel more like the Trek of old, which will obviously please a lot of fans.
    And if the people in it focus on the things classic Trek did - boldly going, seeking out new life etc - I don't see any major problem with it having a link with the other new shows so long as it's only some lines if dialogue or whatever

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, what's funny is that Pike is like fans think Kirk was, but wasn't. In all of the Kirk/Picard debates, it was always "Kirk is a cowboy, a shoot-first type..." when that's just not true. And Pike was the literal cowboy! But he was a pilot, and believed in flying and going far, with a background in science and religion, whereas Kirk was a big-brained, Holocaust survivor which informed his later career like Picard's brush with death informed his.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This twitter thread explores the homages to the opening titles of all the other Trek shows in the SNW opening title sequence:

IIRC, 58 minutes after the tweet went live.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  20. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    No. Not even a little bit.

But some of the, um, "True Fans" confuse their memories of which character did what and focus solely on taking another hit from the fan service nostalgia pipe.

Actually, @dp4m said it best.

Jedi Merkurian and dp4m like this.
  21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Aren't they mad at a lot of classic characters being brought back because they see it as fan service at the expense of good story?

Same problem Rise of Skywalker had, response to fan criticism was to basically turn the movie into a ridiculous fan service tribute act.
    Hoping that the audience spends most of its time going "hey look, it's that character!" instead of noticing all the plot problems doesn't work as well as the people in charge of these franchises think it does.

TX-20 likes this.
  22. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    This is why every show should do it the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul way. Have a writers room that has at least six months to a year of just hashing out the plot before even settling down to shoot. Those shows are so intricately plotted and the dialogue is darn near perfect every single episode that nothing feels like filler. And when Legacy characters show up, it's because the story warranted it.

But these modern Treks have the massive budgets to make everything look great, but the stories feel under-cooked a lot of the time.

Sarge likes this.
  23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Or just hire writers of the calibre that Better Call Saul/Breaking Bad has, instead of creatives like Kurtzman who made the recent Mummy movie & JJ Abrams who can't seem to write consistently flowing stories

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Kurtzman's Trek has been successful enough to have five shows, plus more on the way. So he's not going anywhere.

I'd love to know how much lead time Kurtzman is able to secure for his various writers rooms. Because I feel that if the current staffs of the various shows had the same amount of time that BCS has, they'd be cranking out some absolute bangers.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    They should bring back more people who were involved in the great 90s shows