main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends "Holy Force, Batman!" Crossover/AU, JA, H/C, Qui/Obi-angst (2008 Winner Best Crossover!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by p_stotts, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    I loved how Barbara didn't even ask Obi-Wan any more questions, she just started attacking him. [face_laugh]

He grabbed his bandaged head. ?Drop kicked by a girl while my head was turned. Garen and Reeft will never let me hear the end of it.? [face_laugh] Hee hee. I mean, poor Obi. ;)

?By the way? sorry for getting sick on you earlier.?

Barbara snorted. ?That wasn?t me, and Dick was none too happy about it, let me tell you. Serves Mr. Macho-man right for interfering in my fight.?
    [face_laugh] Oh dear, Obi-Wan really has gotten off on the wrong foot with Robin, hasn't he?

I can't wait to see Obi exploring the Batcave, I hope he doesn't break anything. :p

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved the entire chapter and Obi-Wan sure has a lot to tell when he returns to his friends in the Jeditemple

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Lucky Obi-Wan controlled him self otherwise Barbara
    may need a doctor herself.

Lets see a name for Obi-Wan when he is chasing villians

Charmed one,o_O well he is charming and cute and

[face_love] did any one see the cover of June Foxtel magazine.

Ewan McGregor is on the cover
    Yahoo.[face_love]

4. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    You could say that. :)

I hadn't really thought of that. Hmm...something to consider.

Your point being...? :confused: :)

Yeah, she can be just as unpredictable as Dick when protecting her family.

Doesn't he always? ;)

I tried to pull that up online, but only came up with a cable TV Guide for Australia. Is that the one? If so, I couldn't get it to show me the cover picture. :_|

Here's the next chapter. Enjoy! I may not be able to post again until Tuesday. Monday is a national holiday in the States, so I won't be at work. Rest assure, I'll be back with more posts on Tuesday.

Chapter 9 ? Time To Snoop, Uh? Explore. Yeah, that?s it. Explore.

Alfred cleared his throat. ?Yes, well, it?s more of a passionate hobby than work.?

Obi-Wan cocked an eyebrow. ?A hobby??

?They don?t get paid.?

?Ah, I see.? Well, not really, but he got the distinct impression Alfred wasn?t going to offer any more information, and Obi-Wan respected him too much to pry into his thoughts.

?Eat your soup, Master Obi-Wan, and then try to rest. Doctor?s orders.?

?You seem to be a firm believer in doctor?s orders. I, myself, have always prescribed to what my body tells me.?

Alfred gave him a serious look.

?However,? Obi-Wan quickly added. ?In this instance, my body seems to agree with the doctor.?

Alfred nodded and smiled. ?Very good. Just set the tray on the floor beside the bed when you?re done. I?ll collect it later.? He walked to the doorway. ?Have a restful evening. If you need anything, push the button on the nightstand.?

Obi-Wan drew in a deep breath and opened his eyes as the healing trance dissipated. His internal clock told him he had less than two standard hours until sunrise. He slowly sat up, and was pleasantly surprised to feel no pain in his head. ?Much better.? He slipped out of bed and quickly dressed. ?And now, to check on my starfighter.?

Before opening the bedroom door, Obi-Wan scanned the manor and surrounding area with his Force senses. He encountered only one sentient presence, and gently probed a bit deeper. ?Good. Alfred is asleep, and the others haven?t returned yet.?

He slipped out the door and took the main staircase down to the first floor. Following the images he?d picked up from Bruce and Dick, he made his way to the closet off the kitchen, but found the door locked.

Using his Force senses, he examined the locking mechanism, finding it much more complex that expected. ?This will take some time.? After trying and failing to unlock the door several times, he realized that the tumblers and latches had to be released in a particular sequence in order for the door to open.

A slight change in the atmospheric ions, followed by a sense of Alfred?s movements on the floor above told him he?d tripped some type of silent alarm. Obi-Wan leaned his head against the door and sighed heavily. ?Foiled by archaic intricacies; wouldn?t Master be proud.?

He pushed himself away from the door and leaned his back against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest, tracking Alfred?s progress down a staircase located closer to the kitchen. The sound of footsteps across the tile floor preceded the butler?s app

5. Quigonjecca

Quigonjecca Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    You know, the more I read, the more I envision Alfred with a lightsaber. :p yes, Jedi Master Alfred the Butler. Sorry, but it keeps coming to mind! LOL!

Yeah, well, I really loved this chapter. I can't wait for more! And thanks for the PM!

6. Alasse_Earfalas

Alasse_Earfalas Jedi Master star 2

Mar 6, 2008
    My point being you're posting more often than I can usually respond. [face_shame_on_you] :p

Very nice descriptions! =D= I don't know much about Batman (I've never heard of Barbra or seen the Batcave... [face_dunce]), but the detail in your descriptions made a very clear picture in my mind.

I loved that Obi wasn't able to "pick" the lock with the Force. :D

I'm picturing an upcoming brawl between Dick & Obi. [face_mischief]

7. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Very nice update! :D

Obi-Wan glanced over Alfred?s shoulder and smirked. ?A keyboard. How quaint.?

?Perhaps a bit too quaint for your purposes,? Alfred said.

Obi-Wan cleared his throat to cover his embarrassment. ?Perhaps. However, I could have simply used my lightsaber to cut through the locking mechanism, but I was trying to be subtle.?

?If you say so, sir.?

Obi-Wan smiled and wondered if anything ever shocked Alfred. He seemed to take everything in stride, as if he?d seen it all.
    [face_love] I love Alfred, every super-hero needs a butler like him. :p

Since it doesn't look like Obi-Wan's starfigher is repairable, I guess he's stuck in Gotham City until Qui-Gon finds him. Dick isn't going to like that! [face_frustrated]

I can't wait for more! :D And thanks for the PM! :D

8. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    It's a welcome blast from the past. I have seen all the old batman episodes (and not on re-runs) as well as the movies- this is turning out to be a great crossover!

I read you sorcerer's apprentice when I first came on the boards many years ago (looks at date- yikes! has it really been that many years?) but would love to read it again. Can you pass along a link?

9. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Ha[face_laugh] that would be funny Master Alfred,o_O although he is very commited to looking after Bruce he may be good for Obi-Wan.;)

Heavens I love how quick you post it is wonderful.=D=

I think Dick is going to get his finger broken if he
    pokes Obi-Wan too much.[face_shame_on_you]

excellent post.=D=

10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    [face_laugh]funny chapter and LOL at Obi-Wan discovering the Batcave.
    But it seems he needs another Jedi-transport to get him back to Coruscant.
    Will Yoda come?[face_thinking]

Thanks for the PM

11. Sabriel_Orion

Sabriel_Orion Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2008
    I just stumbled across this fanfic, and it hooked me from the first chapter. XD I feel sorry for poor Obi-Wan, but I can't wait to see what happens next. XD

12. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Oooooh, Obi-Wan is certainly having problems and he hasn't even gotten out of Wayne Manor. And with his ship wrecked like that, looks like he's going to have to wait for Qui-Gon to rescue him. Good thing he's from outer space; they'd never let him see the Batcave otherwise. [face_mischief] Fun crossover to return with - you should go look up the Oldbies Writing Guild in Resources. You might see a few familiar names. :)

13. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Darn! Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks! I combined images from various movies and added a bit of my own idea to it.

Any time, Bastet! Yeah, Alfred is a cool character. He has so much undercurrent. I'll post more later today.

Welcome, Padawan Kitara! Thank you for your kind words. Here's the link to the Sorcerer's Apprentice - http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Stories--Classic_JC_Board_(Reply-Only)/b10016/3160618. I also have a novel-length version available off-boards that I revised into an original story with original characters, but the two main characters still have the Qui/Obi personalities.

I think Obi-Wan's calm and control is what gets under Dick's skin the most. Oh no! :eek: It's the perfect padawan syndrome all over again. I bet Obi get's tired of that. :)

Thanks! I didn't want to make things too easy for Obi. I'm still pondering if and who will accompany Qui when he rescues his padawan. I'm also contemplating which villain to use from the Batman universe. Suggestions anyone?

Welcome, Sabriel Orion! Glad you're enjoying this. More later today.

Thanks for the link, Ardavenport. What fun to see old friends.

Just a quick note--I'm already pondering ideas for a new story. So once I'm done with this story... well, you won't have to wait long for another one. More later today. I'll try to p.m. everyone. :cool:

14. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Well this certainly turned out differently from what I expected. I thought I knew where it was headed, but the characters took on a mind of their own once I started writing. Let me know what you think.

Chapter 10 ? Play Nice

Barbara slapped Dick?s hand away before Obi-Wan could react. ?Geez, Dick, grow up!?

Bruce cleared his throat. ?Play nice, children.?

Dick flashed Obi-Wan a dirty look and stalked off to the changing rooms without a word.

Barbara placed her hands on her hips. ?Honestly, what is it with guys and pissing contests?? She followed Dick without waiting for a reply.

Obi-Wan looked at Bruce with a frown. ?What?s a pissing contest??

?Uh??

?It is a euphemism,? Alfred came to Bruce?s rescue, ?meaning a display of machismo? a competition among males to determine who is the strongest.?

Obi-Wan tried picturing it in his mind but couldn?t quite get the gist of it. ?How does urinating demonstrate strength??

Bruce sighed and shook his head, then followed his two partners to the changing rooms.

?It is a figure of speech,? Alfred said. ?I?m not familiar with the origin of the phrase.?

A few moments later, Dick exited the changing rooms in his civilian clothes, followed closely by Barbara. He sat down at the computer console and started punching keys.

?Dick?,? Barbara said.

Dick held up his hand. ?Leave off, Babs. We?ve all had a long night. I?m tired, cranky, and frustrated, so just leave me alone. Okay??

?Perhaps some breakfast might be in order?? Alfred suggested.

?An excellent idea,? Bruce said. He fastened the last few buttons of his shirt as he joined them. He laid a hand on Dick?s shoulder. ?Let?s get some food and rest, and then we?ll buckle down to research later.?

Dick looked up at his mentor. For a moment, it looked to Obi-Wan like he might argue the suggestion, but then he sighed and nodded. ?I agree with the eating part, but I'm just too wound up to sleep.?

Bruce smiled. "Why don't we work off some steam after breakfast then?"

Dick avoided his gaze. "I might do that, but I think I'd rather be alone if it's all the same to you. I've got some stuff to work through."

"Suit yourself."

Obi-Wan remained in the kitchen after the others finished and left. ?Alfred, can I help you with the dishes??

Alfred smiled. ?Thank you, sir, but no.?

?Very well. Would you mind if I went to the gardens then??

?Not at all, Master Obi-Wan. Feel free to make use of any of the facilities within the manor. There is also a fully-equipped gymnasium in the east wing.?

Obi-Wan smiled. ?Thank you. Perhaps I'll go there afterwards." He exited the house by way of the kitchen door and strolled on the manicured lawn, enjoying the sight and smell of flowers he had no names for, while reveling in the sunshine and peaceful surroundings. A gravel path off to the side drew his attention, so he followed it until he came to a stone bench surrounded by hedges on three sides and shaded by a tall tree.

Sitting down, he closed his eyes and drew in a deep, cleansing breath before clearing his mind and opening himself to the Force. For a long time, he concentrated on nothing but the sound of the breeze through the leaves, his thoughts drifting where the Force willed.

Slowly, images came to him... images of a young boy spinning in the air and leaping from a bar suspended on a rope to a man's outstretched hands. Together they swung forward then back, a huge smile on the boy's face. The man released his hold on the boy, who spun around and grabbed the other bar and then swung back to the waiting arms of a woman on a platform. Next, the woman swung out to meet the man, but just as she reached for him, the rope holding his swing snapped. Both plummeted to the unprotected floor, while the boy clung to a safety line on the platform, screaming.

Next, he saw the same boy looking up at a tall man. The man extended a hand to the boy, who stared at it a long moment before slowing reaching out his own hand to grip the man's. That scened faded

15. Sabriel_Orion

Sabriel_Orion Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2008
    Great chapter. :D I'm glad the Obi's trying to help out Dick... Maybe this'll make them friends in the end. I hope so.

16. Quigonjecca

Jul 2, 2007
    Awww! Poor Dick! I feel so sorry for him. Good for Obi-Wan to try and help him too. Great update! I know how it is when your characters get away from you-- however, it looks like yours chose a wise direction. :D

17. Alasse_Earfalas

Alasse_Earfalas Jedi Master star 2

Mar 6, 2008
    Wonderful chapter! =D=

Obi-Wan tried picturing it in his mind but couldn?t quite get the gist of it. ?How does urinating demonstrate strength??

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]*dies*[face_laugh][face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Obi-Wan used the Force to strengthen his hold and leaned in close to Dick?s ear. ?You couldn't have saved them,? he said in a calm voice. ?You were only a child.?

?No,? Dick protested in a broken sob. ?That?s not true.?

?Yes it is,? Obi-Wan whispered. ?You did nothing wrong. The persons who sabotaged the trapeze are the guilty ones, not you.?

AAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!! [face_love]

18. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Aww, Psychiatrist Obi-Wan, I love it. [face_love]

I hope he can help Dick find peace with himself, poor guy. :( Whether Dick will ever start to like Obi remains to be seen, however. [face_thinking]

Loved the update, as usual! :D

19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely=D= Healer Obi-Wan. Trying to heal Dick and I hope he succeeds.

Great chapter=D==D=

20. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Obi-Wan is doing a very good imitation of a soul healer.O:)
    After all he has had practice with Qui-Gon, and all his
    trials and tribulations.;)

I wonder if Obi-Wan will find out who killed his parents.[face_thinking]

Another wonderful chapter.=D=

21. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Another wonderful update. I can't wait for more.

22. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    Very interesting chapter. I love how Obi-Wan dealt with Dick, but it also made me think of the future and how he "fails" to save Qui-Gon.

I have to say you have me hooked. Great work.

23. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks, everyone, for all the great feedback. I'm so glad you're enjoying the story. Here's the next chapter. It's a bit shorter, but we're approaching the meat of the story soon. Enjoy!

Chapter 11 ? A Plan Worth Exploring

Dick sagged in his arms, whimpering softly like an injured animal.

Obi-Wan loosened his hold, but kept his arms around the other man for support. ?Let it out,? he whispered. For a moment, he thought Dick might listen to him, but then he sensed the stone façade cementing back into place, shutting away the guilt and pain once again.

Dick pushed at him. ?Leave me alone!?

Obi-Wan knew he needed to back off for now or risk alienating Dick even more. ?As you wish.? He stepped back and let the other man pass. As soon as the doors shut, he took a deep breath and cleared his mind. The platforms around the room called to him. Perhaps Dick had the right idea. He drew out his lightsaber and used the Force to jump up onto the lowest platform, then proceeded to lose himself in a level fifteen kata.

He?d just completed the form for the second time, landing with a double back flip onto the floor when he heard clapping behind him. He?d previously sensed Bruce?s presence in the room, but ignored him in favor of finishing his exercise.

Disengaging his lightsaber, Obi-Wan hung it back on his belt and turned to face his admirer.

?That?s some very advanced acrobatics,? Bruce said. ?Did your master teach you that??

Obi-Wan grinned at the thought. ?No, my master is a bit taller and broader than me and favors a more direct approach in fighting styles. Master Yoda taught me aerial combat techniques. He says beings possessing a lesser physical stature must compensate for height difference.?

?Interesting, and how much lesser in stature is Master Yoda??

?Physically? He?s about so tall.? He held his hand horizontally at his waist. ?Using his Force abilities, however, he could level an eight foot Wookie with one hand.?

Bruce chuckled. ?I wouldn?t want to go up against him then.?

?Neither would I.? He cleared his throat and said in his best Yoda voice, ?Size matters not.? He shrugged. ?Or so Master Yoda says.?

?Uh, you mind if I take a closer look at your weapon?? He pointed to Obi-Wan?s lightsaber.

Obi-Wan shook his head. ?I?m sorry. If my master?s training has taught one thing, it?s that a Jedi never willingly separates himself from his lightsaber. That way of thinking has saved my life more than once.?

Bruce crossed his arms and cocked his head to the side, still eyeing the weapon. ?I can respect that. Can you tell me how it works then??

?It?s rather complicated, but I might be persuaded to sketch out a few schematics over some hot tea and a substantial snack.?

Bruce nodded toward the doors. ?Come on then. Let?s see what munchies Alfred has stashed in the kitchen.?

?Sounds like a plan worth exploring.? Obi-Wan followed Bruce to the kitchen. ?I have to warn you though; you won?t be able to construct your own lightsaber from my drawings, even if you have a clear understanding of the process. The focusing crystals are custom made using specially calibrated lasers. You don?t have the technology here on Earth to do that.?

Bruce indicated a stool at the breakfast bar. ?Humor me.?

Obi-Wan explained the construction of his lightsaber for the better part of an hour, answering as many of Bruce?s questions as he could.

Finally, Bruce leaned back in his chair and said, ?Any idea what upset Dick so much earlier??

Obi-Wan raised his eyebrows at the unexpected change of subject. I shouldn?t be surprise, though. Bruce might not show it very often, but he cares for Dick deeply, almost like an older brother. ?I take it he talked to you.?

?Not really. I saw him taking off up the stairs like the devil himself was after him. Judging by his expression, I?d say he was pretty distraught.?

?Yes. I?m afraid I?m the cause of that.? He leaned his forearms on the breakfast bar and interlaced his fingers. ?This afternoon,

24. Quigonjecca

Jul 2, 2007
    ?Alfred,? Obi-Wan said. ?Just what kind... what was it you called it? Ah, yes. What kind of a passionate hobby to Bruce, Dick, and Barbara indulge in every night??

Hmmm... Obi in a Batman mask... that could work, don't you think? :D

I love your update schedule, and I cannot wait for the next post! Great job!

25. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Hmm...maybe. But Obi wouldn't need a mask. He has no secret identity to protect. Anyway, he could just use the Force to obscure everyone's perception of him. Next up... Obi receives another vision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.