main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    JackG : I totally get it, but if I could throw a couple of links out here to keep us all out of trouble:

Homosexuality: The Thread

The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome

And we can go back to discussing which character in Rebels could have a same-sex relationship.

TheSilentInfluence : Picturing that in my head right now. And the scene could end with their leaving together.

Nothing seen, just implied. :D

credar and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  2. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
  3. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013
    Why? because she's hot? It's funny because most of the gay propaganda spread in the media usually portraits the LGBT community as beautyful people exclusively.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Um, OK.

I'm not going to speak for credar . To me either Sabine or Zeb is the most logical choice as the other main characters have either had info about them expressing interest in characters of the opposite sex, or they are droids.

credar likes this.
  5. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013
    I understand the diversity speech and stuff but please, is much to ask for my life-beloved space-fantasy universe to stay free of real life controversies [spelling?] and political statements? Damn! I'm trying to be entertained for a while and let it go... otherwise I'd be watching the Representatives Chamber Channel instead.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    What is this? I don't even...

Oy. I continue to question the wisdom of keeping this thread open. Is it really that hard to discuss homosexuality without bringing real world politics into the mix?

Wait, don't answer that question. But yeah, if this thread continues to be used as a soapbox, then it's days are numbered.

7. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Moving onto a new topic for this thread....

If there was a scenario in the show, where either Zeb or Sabine were homosexual or anyone else for that matter. How would you like it portrayed? Feel free to include dialogue and scenarios etc if you like.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm tired, I might write dialogue tomorrow, but what comes to mind is something like this:

Nothing over-the-top, nothing sappy, they're hanging out and it just happens.

...which is, incidentally, also how I like my heterosexual romances.

AkashKedavra_93 and credar like this.
  9. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Yeah, you basically got my points across. I just have a feeling that Zeb is more asexual then gay (Then again, it's not like we've seen much of either Sabine or Zeb so I could be completely wrong.) and I used Sabine as an example because she seems the most likely out of the main cast to be homosexual through the mere fact that we don't know her sexuality yet.

On TheSilentInfluence 's question: They should establish the fact that said character is gay during the first season, but I don't think they would get into a relationship with someone until the second season. Mostly because I feel it would be between a new member of the Rebels group and Sabine/Zeb and I don't think they will add anyone to the crew until season 2. I like the Ezra/Sabine comment you made earlier. Moments like that keep it natural and I hope that's how the show would handle it.

10. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    credar

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping too. In terms of a relationship, the second season sounds about right to me as well. There's no need to rush in terms of things like that and I would rather have well balanced and thought out relationships then rushed ones, gay or straight.

Thank You. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

What about a scenario were Sabine/or Zeb gets hit on by a guy/girl in respective cases and they get really tense and uncomfortable because they themselves like the same sex and these people are relentlessly hitting onthem. Then, Hera/or Kanan respectively get them out of said situation because they 'know' about their preferences?

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That sounds a bit like the Brokeback Mountain scene in which Jake Gyllenhaal says "I ain't queer."

I'd personally prefer that the character not resist or flat-out deny his or her sexuality, even if he or she is not going to be wide open about it right away.

12. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    anakinfansince1983

I guess I meant to say that it's not their sexuality that makes them feel uncomfortable, but rather someone of the opposite sex relentlessly hitting on them. Sorry for the confusion.

13. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Well, we already know that Ezra has a crush on Sabine, yes? That would be the perfect place to show that she's gay. She rejects him by saying she's not into guys or something along those line. Then they become best buds and Sabezra never happens!

Edit: Zeb seems old enough to have a family. Maybe he was a husband who was captured by the Empire or something along those lines?

14. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014

Ezra: Just one date, please?
    Sabine: Leave me alone you little womp rat. I already told you I'm not interested.
    Ezra: Why not?
    Sabine: Because I don't play for that space disk team brat!

15. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    All for it.

Making non-hetero relationships seem less novel or trivial, especially though healthy non-stereotypical depictions in media, is quite important.

Obviously good writing is important, and I don't know enough about the team behind Rebels to make a call on whether they'd be up to it. If they're not, well it's not really my place to say whether a cackhanded attempt at writing a non-hetero romance (of any kind, not just homosexual) would be better or worse than leaving it out entirely. My head says the former but then I've not had to face any of the prejudices propagated both willfully and through the ineptitude of the media so I'm not at all equipped to make that call.

This kind of thinking is precisely why LGBTQIA characters should be included more.

Imagine your very existence being politicised to the extent that your mere inclusion in something is construed by most as at best a political statement, and at worst controversially rocking the boat.

"I'm just trying to be entertained for a while and let it go" - let what go precisely?

Insert any of the other factors from the winning generic lottery ticket of white/straight/male/cis/hetero/able bodied and it sort of becomes apparent how unacceptable that line of thinking is.

'Bit much controversy surrounding black people, would rather they not be on my TV shows'
    'I get tired of hearing about disabled people in real life, I don't want any disabled people in my entertainment'
    'Gosh, people in politics always yammer on about women, so I don't want women on television because it reminds me of how boring politics are'

Messed up.

16. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    sharkymcshark

We appreciate your insight but don't talk politics in regards to the homosexuality in this thread. We don't want it to be closed on us. Keep in on topic with Rebels and the characters etc. Please and thank you.

Although I do agree with what you said.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  17. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

Sorry friend, I tend to get a little bit 'bull seeing a red flag' at times. Won't happen again.

18. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014

I'm not mad or anything. I just don't want this thread to get closed down too soon or at all, or you to get in trouble. Like I said above, I agree with what you said above. So, no worries okay?☺

credar likes this.
  19. Faithful Wookiee

Faithful Wookiee Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2014
    Star Wars has never been about overt sexuality, but the depiction of same-gender romance or attraction, in a matter-of-fact way, would certainly be welcome.

Using one's imagination to pretend certain characters are gay, in the place of genuine representation, becomes tiring after the first thirty years or so.

I always had a feeling about the duo who stole Ahsoka's lightsaber.

20. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Zeb is said to be 39 (human equivalent), so more than old enough to have started a family.

That said, the same source for Zeb's age (Visual Guide) also mentions that...
    "The Empire devastated Zeb's home planet of Lasan and brutally wiped out nearly all of his people. Zeb's traumatic past motivates him to fight for freedom, and to end the Empire's tyranny once and for all."

Given this, I'm thinking that if Zeb ever did have a family of his own, the Empire either (best case) captured or, unfortunately, killed them all.

credar likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Zeb could have had a husband--since he never lived in North Carolina, he could legally have a spouse of the same gender--and an adopted kid or two.

22. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Similarly, my preference would be for no one to even think of homosexuality as taboo. Hiding it wouldn't even come to mind.

23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Crom's bones am I glad I missed the "bible = god's word isn't my belief, it just is" debate. [face_tee_hee]

My top pick for LGBT Rebels character would definitely be Zeb.

The thing with Satine - not that I would object to it but explaining why she wouldn't be my top pick - is that it seems like she is ultra-aggressive and thus falls at least a bit into the stereotypical "tomboy" role (if you think of it in that context, not saying that's how I think of her generally), so making her a lesbian would feel like it was falling more neatly into homophobic expectations of a lesbian character which I've been reading in this thread has apparently been rampant on modern fictional television (which I watch very little of).

Zeb, on the other hand, would be just the opposite when thought of in that context. He is the ultra-masculine male, all testosterone and killing stuff. Also, since he's an alien that's fierce-looking as hell, it seems like he could be a direct rejection of homophobic stereotypes about males in both attitude and appearance. So I think he would be the perfect choice. Of course, I want as little romance on the show as possible, but meeting his husband in the series finale would kick all kinds of ass.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I hated Brokeback Mountain, not for the reasons some people did, but because it was so horribly tragic that I felt terrible when the movie ended.

"We could have had a life together, and all we had is Brokeback Mountain!"

Indeed.

I understand the context but no more of that please.

Not big on heterosexual tragic romance either which is why I ended up hating Anakin and Padme after being a fan of their relationship for awhile.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  25. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    No romances at all, please.