main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

'Gay' is fine - 'Gays' is just... *Blerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg!*

Try saying 'A group of Pink people.' Sounds OK, right? Now say 'A group of Pinks'. Can you see the difference? That's how it rings in my ears - just awful, and dehumanizing.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, there is a similar history of referring to African American people as "the blacks" or "a black," whereas "a black person" is, AFAIK, considered just fine.

"A gay man" or "a gay person" or "a lesbian" is fine; I prefer the term "LGBTQ people" myself.

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Agreed. Or just refer to them as people. Labels are not required as I am not for sale.

4. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Is this the best thread to talk about Zeb and Kallus?

About last night, that was great. :D

"Zeb, you can have the top bunk back." I'll take that as Ezra's blessing. [face_laugh]

Looking back, that meteorite has so much more meaning! I need more Kalluzeb! [face_love]

[​IMG]

TetsuAero likes this.
  5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    This is the best thread to talk about Zeb and Kallus, just like it is for Sam and Frodo/s

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Generally I stand by this post on the subject:
    But on the other hand, though, it does seem kind of interesting that Sabine's narration described Kallus as being accepted by the Lasat as not merely someone seeking to make up for his crimes against them, but as one of them in what sounds like a familial sense.

¯\_:zeb:_/¯

7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    No.

I interpreted as an outsider being welcomed into a tribe. Nothing more.

8. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    What's really amusing is...

....whilst everybody was pointing out that Steve Blum actually said at SW Celebration 'I'd like him to go to Lira San and start a family with Kallus' as him brazenly slipping out spoilers, he said in an interview that apparently he had no idea he'd got his dream ending until he saw the episode and was delighted.

9. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    The only vibe i got beyond a brotherly connection was when Zeb covered his eyes - i have only seen couples do that kind of stuff.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don't think
    Kallus and Zeb were in any sort of romantic relationship

On the other hand there is a possibilty that Melch and Hondo had something going on especially with hera saying they have a "special relationship"

11. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Steve Blum thinks they are. On Rebels Recon he was thrilled that "in the end, I got my man."

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean sure there are hints that you can read it like that. Blum most likely knows more than us though. :p

DarthBreezy likes this.
  13. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Rebels Finale Q&A
    In Zeb's voice no less, "I got my man in the end." [face_laugh]

14. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I will say this much - what I ADORE about Rebels is the simple fact that it's implied or we can read what ever into it, NO ONE BATS AN EYE. Whether people are gay, straight, try-sexual - none of the others give a sweet sausage, and I LOVE IT!

15. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    I think the romantic part of their relationship developed in the four years we didn't see, while the original trilogy was happening. We see the very beginning of it on the show, see them stop hating each other, see them slowly start liking each other as they work together throughout season four. And then we jump ahead four or more years to after the war, Zeb introducing Kallus to "the in-laws". In an opposite gender pair there would be no question what that means (remember when Kanan met Hera's dad, after all).

16. Dame sans merci

Jan 17, 2016
    Truly, he was the biggest shipper of anyone. I half suspect he's posting fanfic on AO3.;)

MandaloreRex2015 and DarthBreezy like this.
  17. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

[face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

:zeb:[face_love]:obiwan:

(I know it's an Obi-wan smuley - close enough!)

18. Dame sans merci

Jan 17, 2016
    Works for me! I believe TCW Obi-Wan also had his own hot-rebellious-lock-of-hair moment.[face_love]

Just to note that an article on the official Star Wars site talking about the themes of Rebels, wraps up the Zeb/Kallus storyline as one of 'the power of love and forgiveness' so make of that what you will...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  19. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    What was I thinking

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    He did. When Maul was beating him up.

21. MandaloreRex2015

MandaloreRex2015 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2015
    This may be slightly off topic, but in my experience the only place saying "A group of Pinks" sounds normal (although still dehumanizing, but given the series' themes that's kind of the point) is the Red Rising saga by Pierce Brown.

(Explanation: the entire premise is built on society being reorganized into a strictly-enforced caste system color-coded based on occupation. Ex. Blues are pilots, Oranges are mechanics, Greens are programmers and software engineers, Silvers are bankers, Coppers are lawyers, etc)

In fact, the whole bit with Zeb and Kallus at the end of the finale reminded me of how Red Rising treats its LGBT couples. The books don't spend much time going into detail, the narrative doesn't make a big deal out of it, and everyone treats it like they would any heterosexual couple.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean a good rule of thumb is to never add a plural to a group of people.

cwustudent and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  23. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    After all the comments in this thread, honestly, I wish Star Wars would make a big deal about it. I've been watching Supergirl on Netflix, and I have been head over heels in love with Alex's story arc in season two so far. Her coming out has been a big deal, because it is a big deal! Even in her case, where her family is so supportive, it was still terrifying for her, the not knowing, the loneliness that comes with hiding a part of yourself (even from yourself sometimes). For all straight people want to think "we've progressed", we still have politicians debating the very humanity of LGBT persons, we still have LGBT kids losing their families and losing their lives, even those of us who come from professed accepting places feel a sense of isolation from a thousand little negative things that happen every day because they're built into the fabric of this culture.

I hate this idea that the only way I could exist on screen in a Star War is if it's "subtle" enough that a portion of the audience can pretend it didn't happen.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Is Alex the main character of that show?