main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Homosexuality in Star Wars Television

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Did anybody see "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance" on Netflix? One of the Gelflings, Deet had two fathers who slept in the same bed. It was really cool how it was done. No explanation, no "in your face", it just was, and it was great. That is how to incorporate it into fantasy, where nobody really notices it because of how normal it has become.

[​IMG]

2. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    Huge fan of the original and really enjoyed the Netflix series - great example for the conversation at hand too.

It's just not a big deal to any reasonable, rational, balanced person.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, but it doesn’t have to be “unnoticeable.” Plenty of heterosexual romances (like Han and Leia, and Anakin and Padme) were not only noticeable - they were also quite central to the narrative. There’s zero reason why that can’t be the case with non-hetero relationships.

2Cleva, Mia Mesharad, Zoe Con and 4 others like this.
  4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Hear, hear!

5. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    I only meant in terms of it being a big deal, rather than just a normal, organic part of the story tapestry. I didn't say unnoticeable as in "shove it to the back and hope nobody notices", I meant that it becomes so normal you don't actually notice it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Got it! Yeah, that makes sense.

7. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I suppose it's worth mentioning for anyone just dropping in that this thread was necro'ed over the past week (even its subject line feels kind of dated!) and that there's therefore kind of a weird gap of a few years during which this type of conversation has largely moved, and in a mostly positive direction, to the Diversity thread. That one's got occasional drive-by trolling but it's really one of the most thoughtful and rewarding places on the forum, in my opinion, and definitely has a lot more continuity in terms of the way these issues have unfolded in the franchise over recent years.

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I just heard that Netflix cancelled Dark Crystal. After winning a bunch of awards for it. Netflix is insane.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    TCF-1138 likes this.
  9. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    I'm not good on all the inside baseball stuff, but is there any chance that it might go to Disney+? Or do Disney just own Muppet properties and not the Henson company as a whole?

It's a real shame, but I'm hopeful they'll find another way of bringing us the next part of the story (here's hoping it's not another 30 odd year wait this time around)

Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    It should not matter as long as the story given to that character is good.

Which is true for any character, regardless of the sexual orientation.

11. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Yep, one of the most beautifully made TV shows ever, and lovingly faithful to the source material. Cancelled. So sad.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Something like 30% of America still holds homophobic views. Hell something like 14% of America still thinks interracial marriage is bad.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And they need to grow up.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It’s been amazing progress so far. If you had said we would have had legal marriage and over 60% of the country okay with gay marriage I would have called you crazy back in 2012. Progress is progress even if it’s slow. Some people will sadly never change their mind.

I am glad that Star Wars is now in the 21st century in that respect even if we could use much more representation

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Jesus...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    So....you only liked A New Hope? Because Han and Leia's relationship in TESB and ROTJ was VERY in your face. And Grogu(Baby Yoda) actually has a PURPOSE in the story, and so does Anakin and Padme's relationship. They all have impact on the story. Grogu is a tool to redeem Din Djarin, turning him from a scummy bounty hunter to a genuine hero, and Anakin's relationship with Padme, though corny and a bit forced served a purpose in showing how Anakin's attachment to her led to his fall to the Dark Side. As long as relationships and babies serve a purpose to the greater story, they are fine with me and even necessary to the narrative. Nice try, dumbass. Also, your grammar makes me wanna kill myself.

Even my right-wing, Christian, conservative parents are alright with LGBTQ. I swear, the only REAL homophobes are either nazis or brainwashed by nazis.

17. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Nah plenty of Bible Belt people hate gay people. Homosexuality is a sin according to the Bible. That’s a fact. My parents both are very much against homosexuality and for no reason other than the Bible tells them it’s a sin. Sure, there are Christians who are totally okay with it. But don’t get it twisted, a lot of em are at the very least undercover homophobes. It’s a shame, but it’s definitely a real thing.

CosmoHender likes this.
  18. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    This is honestly why I'm not really as much of a Christian as I used to be, I just couldn't stand the Christians using religion to justify their bigotry. Of course, not every Christian is homophobic. My parents, fortunately, are not. But the actions and opinions of many other Christians actually made me disgusted. Coming to terms with that hasn't been easy for me.

2Cleva, dick rodgers and Cyber Spark like this.
  19. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    To me, the problems with Christianity come not from the Bible itself, but from people who follow it. I'm not a Christian in the traditional sense. I don't follow the Church, I follow the actual Bible. LIke you're, y'know, supposed to?
    Those quotes from the Bible are very open to interpretation, and the words can be translated to many things. Plus, one moment from the Bible shows Jesus healing a Roman soldier's lover(though it is intentionally mistranslated to friend due to the Church's personal bias). I could be wrong, but it is very, VERY open to interpretation.

Skywalker_boy likes this.
  20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Homophobes gonna homophobe. If it's not "because the Bible says so", it'll be some other reason to justify their hate. We can go all day pointing out how their logic is twisted, they're generally not gonna budge usually because their views are just ingrained in their consciousness and they'll perpetually live in a shroud of cognitive dissonance.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Depends on where you are. You go up north you’ll get churches that proudly state how they’ll accept you no matter what and openly display a pride flag. Haven’t been down south in years so I can’t really talk from experience.

the point being a majority of Americans are okay with it which is why your seeing more of it in Star Wars and movies in general. The only big thing left for the movie and TV industry that is holding it back is really China. Now I am sure there are plenty of accepting Chinese people living in China. The government not so much. China is the second biggest market for movies and TV. You have anything they deem unnatural and it won’t make it to air.

Like that really short TROS scene of the two women kissing was cut out of the film in China and a few other countries

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. The US has a long, long way to go on discrimination by race and sexual orientation. And so does Europe:

https://fra.europa.eu/en/publication/2018/being-black-eu

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/10/28/where-europe-stands-on-gay-marriage-and-civil-unions/?amp=1

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There are some churches like that in the South as well, especially in urban areas.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah. The primary geographic cultural divisions these days are mostly urban-rural, and not necessarily north-south.

2Cleva and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think for now we will have situations like Kallus and Zeb where it’s not clear if they are just good friends or something else. I look forward to the day when we can see a relationship as good as we had between Hera and Kanan between a man and a man or a women and a women etc. I am sure our major strides will first be made in books and comics and games