main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I attended Austin's Pride Parade yesterday, and it was fab to see so many people come out in spite of the rain. The parade proceeded after the rain. Austin is a wonderful town.

Rew, poor yorick, Pensivia and 2 others like this.
  3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    So sad to hear about Jamel Myles, the nine-year-old boy from Colorado who came out as gay and was driven to suicide by bullies at school.

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Infuriated to nearly to the point of tears was my response

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Double post

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Pretty big deal for the second most populous country in the world to do this. Great news.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    One step forward....

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I feel like every 2 years there's a "creators confirm Bert & Ernie aren't gay" news article.

V-2 and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    My aunt and uncle wouldn't let their kids watch Sesame Street cuz of that.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Your aunt and uncle are repressed morons.

Chewgumma and DarthTunick like this.
  15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

I just reset the clock for another 2 years.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Somehow I must have missed the previous rounds of this story. I'm often out of touch though, so I guess it's not a surprise.:p

It's kind of disappointing, considering all the ways Sesame Street has made a point of incorporating diversity in other ways.

Ghost likes this.
  17. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    No argument here.

Pensivia, Diggy and Chewgumma like this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The muppets are, and always have been, asexual.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Sesame Street characters are, because they're meant for preschoolers. The Muppets meant for older children and adults engage in unnatural frog-on-pig relations.

Ghost, Darth Punk , Pensivia and 7 others like this.
  20. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    For me the most disappointing thing about this story isn't about representation on Sesame Street. What's most upsetting to me is that an openly gay writer for the show gave his own perspective on how he saw those characters while writing for them, and how his writing for them was informed by his relationship with an ex-partner. Sesame Workshop somehow saw it as appropriate to man the battle stations and deny his perspective as an artist by shutting him down with a snotty statement.

A statement that completely missed the point and was arguably incorrect. While Sesame Workshop wanted to stress that puppets are asexual objects, they ignore the fact that they have characteristics attributed to them, which can include a sexuality.

[​IMG]

With my urge to post Charlie Brooker snogging a hairy little gremlin out of the way; there are plenty of puppet characters that have well defined, heterosexual characteristics. Punch was always married to Judy, Miss Piggy and Kermit the Frog are enamoured with each other, and so on.

Now if Sesame Workshop had come out and said something along the lines of "We don't portray any romantic relationships in Sesame Street, gay or straight, as we don't feel the subject is appropriate to the show's target demographic," then they'd be making a fair point with their statement. But the release of the statement itself is still a problematic act, because in releasing it they're saying that Mark Saltzman, whose work they hadn't had a problem with until now, was wrong to ever relate those characters to his experiences of being in a loving partnership. It's a gross overreaction, an attempt to shut down a gay creator's perspective and a refusal to accept that his perspective as a gay man directly contributed wholesome characteristics to their show.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Mia Mesharad, Outsourced, Rew and 5 others like this.
  21. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    very well said^ @Chewgumma :- ) That is really the more important point.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  22. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Here’s an interweb age situation I’ve found myself in that is not exactly like-for-like with the burt and ernie stuff we’re discussing, but it does have similar feels.

JCC, help me process this please...

My son is eight years old, and is into minecraft, roblox, and youtube videos of people playing minecraft and roblox.

He has his own ipad, but it’s set up so we can monitor what he’s watching. It’s not a foolproof system, as in practice, we tend to monitor him retroactively.

Recently I noticed him watching a youtuber who predominantly presents himself as someone who reviews/plays video games. In this instance he was doing a reaction video for a pixar-style animated short called “in a heartbeat”. It’s about a boy, who has a crush on another boy. Here’s the reaction video;

As you can see, It’s all done in good taste. I have no problem with my son watching it per se.

I took a look through my son’s internet history, and in the two weeks prior, he’d watched everything this youtuber’s ever posted to his channel.

The youtuber is called Alex, and he’s part of a group of youtube gamers called “The Pals”. He’s openly gay, and a fair few videos in his output are of him role-playing, using the game “The Sims” for his animation. Check out this playlist;
    https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLccFmjYXqr1o8xbWzWL9VIJWTj_aqAZAo

As you can see, there’s a bunch of videos about how Alex dates a guy called Dennis, of them kissing, and of Dennis getting pregnant.

I’m livid that this adult man presents himself as a gamer aimed at kids, and is aggressively pushing sexuality related content. I’d be somewhat similarly angry if a youtuber pushed heterosexual content in the same way, but to be fair, I’ve not seen that (beyond heroes rescuing princesses).

I just want my eight year old to remain as innocent as possible, for as long as possible, and figure out his sexuality a little more naturally, somewhere down the line.

Am I overreacting?

23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    When your son views the video you mention above, does he acknowledge/know that the presenter is gay or that the presenter is just being funny/entertaining?

Quick example: I loved watching the X-men animated cartoon on Fox as a kid and thought Storm was awesome because she could control the weather and I fantasized about be able to make it sunny when it was raining or cloudy. It wasn't until years later someone said to me that Storm was black. I never noticed her skin color as a child. It took someone else pointing it out.

My point is that maybe your son doesn't realize or care about the host's sexuality. He likes watching him play and review the games he likes.

So if I were you, I'd chat with my son about the videos and ask him what other hosts/videos he likes. It's tough finding G/PG rated content when, for example, you go on Twitch and the host may be cursing or discussing X rated related material because of the people in chat bringing it up.

24. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    It’s hard to know where Punk junior’s head is at, he lives in a bit of a dreamworld most of the time. I could have perhaps broached it with my elder two children at his age - but they were always a bit more worldly.

Anyway, how we dealt was we blanket banned “The Pals”, and after a week of pissing and moaning, he got back into the youtubers he watched prior to discovering this mob.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  25. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Punk Jr’s gay, son. Accept it.

Darth Punk likes this.