main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Honestly Canon is as full of stange and crazy things as Legends is but not talked about as much

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheMastersSkywalker, Jan 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. TheMastersSkywalker

TheMastersSkywalker Jedi Padawan

Jan 5, 2020
    I honestly feel like in its eight short years the NEU (New Expanded universe or canon) has racked up a goodly amount of strange and crazy plots, creatures, and places in its lit and shows on the same level of many of Legends wackiest things. And I honestly find it weird that its not talked about/joked about/ or mocked as much as the Legends stuff like Triclops or the Crying mountain are. Well outside of angry YTbers and TFM. I mean I don't want more negativity in the fandom as force knows we have enough of it and enough to argue about. I just find it strange that we don't hear people talking as much about the odd things that just came out as we do about (usually non canon) stories from decades ago.

For example using the Crying Mountain as an example we have the Mountains of Living Stone that walk around and even give people pseudo-force powers if people eat their rocks in the 2015 run , a run that ended with an entire planet turning out to be a giant rock monster and punching a Star Destroyer. In fact the NEU really likes its space kaiju with them ranging from interdimensional jellyfish, to a giant crab standing on an asteroid, to more traditional terrestrial creatures. I'm not saying these things aren't cool because they are. But It just seems like you never really hear people talking about it.

The High Republic is my favorite era and ongoing series of books and comics right now and it gets a ton of unjustified hate. But it also has a sentient storm cloud, two animals that are basically pokemon (Ember and the cat from Out of the Dark), and what amounts to a pet rock (Geode). I mean people couldn't apparently stand Ikrit or Selonians but this is fine.

Same for plots that get used. I love Momin and he is one of my favorite sith lords. But he also opened a portal to a different dimension to pull his body forward in time so that he could attach his helmet to it and repossess it. All Luke did was hold an artificial micro gravity well in one place for a few seconds and got his but knocked out and this guy over here bending space time and stuff. Or we have Omn who much like Skippy is a OT character who turned out to be force sensitive and important. Omn, the dianoga in the trash compactor, wasn't trying to drown Luke she was just wanting to baptize him because she saw he would do great things..I mean all Skippy did was blow a servo.

Their are a lot more things I could mention. Some of which I love the idea of and some of which I honestly don't like very much. But I feel like my point is made that the NEU be it comics, books, or shows are full of the same kind of strange things as legends. Heck we even have the basic plot points of Dark Empire back with all the things people disliked about the comic included. Which maybe that is part of it. The movies are so divisive that most people have focused there and overlook the stuff in the EU. Or maybe its just that the NEU feels more "official" to people so it gets a pass because of that.

I don't know and again I don't mean this as a hate post on the NEU. I just kind of wonder why when people talk about crazy things in Star Wars or about retcons or the like they always jump straight to legends (with many of their examples being non-canon or having direct NEU parallels) instead of ever mentioning the happenings of the NEU. I mean the books and comics are selling well enough. Maybe the people who like to complain the most about Star Wars books and comics and shows aren't actually the ones reading them.

2. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    The NEU does a good job of tailoring its stories the the specific medium in which they are being told, hence the comics being a bit more wacky than the novels, the young reader books having bunny aliens and bendy lightsabers, etcetera. I think it’s great.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@TheMastersSkywalker

Simple answer

The minute you make it about sides people will blindly support their side over the other even when one side does the thing that the other side does as well. So hypocrisy is just part of online fandom culture.

Now sometimes I think the New EU does thing that I think are better executed than maybe Legends at least in my opinion but that's my general answer.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  4. TheMastersSkywalker

Jan 5, 2020
    Their is at least an argument when it comes to being better executed I agree. I'm not a huge fan of the ST or how the New Republic was set up for a downfall but I do like that Palpatine came back to power 30 years later and after the First Order had already taken over half the galaxy before TFA instead of the blitz from the core a couple years later we get in Dark Empire. At least their is a reasoning behind it. But yeah I think you kind of nailed it with the first part.

5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yeah pretty much

Like you, I prefer the execution of how Palpatine returns in New Canon compared to Legends, but that again is for the reason you mentioned.

But in terms of something have more or less the same execution or why people are okay with the rock mountain in the Yoda comic and not the live mountain in Legends when their isn't much distinction then it's just a Legends vs Canon battle thing.

Like if sometimes you don't like the Yuzong Vong for not feeling "Star Warsy" I get that...But then again I hope they say the Grysk also has that problem as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2022
  6. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    There are certainly some out there I have been perplexed by seeing bash the Legends stories as being silly and dumb but embracing and loving NEU. Like, great that you find and connect with things in SW that's never a bad thing, but denigrating Legends (they dropped a moon on Chewie! etc.) just feels a bit bleh.

blackmyron, adalmentia and harryhenry like this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    - How often do people talk about Mount Sorrow or Triclops?

- Skippy isn’t canon to the Legends universe nor have I ever heard anyone use Skippy to demonize Legends.

- Rise of Skywalker is often criticized for the same things that Dark Empire is criticized for.

- Are the Grysk immune to The Force? Do they replace parts of their bodies? Are they a threat to anyone besides the Chiss?

UnlimitedSarcasm likes this.
  8. TheMastersSkywalker

Jan 5, 2020
    I'm usually mostly on reddit so for the first two its rather often. A post on the main Star Wars sub even made it to the top last month about it. And yeah TROS is disliked for many of the same reasons. I didn't say it wasn't.

No Grysk aren't imune to the force. But Cal, his master, and Luke were all shut off from the force in much the same way the Vong were. Only difference is they did it to themselves unlike the Vong (or Ulic Qel-Droma in TotJ) who had it done to them. They are meant to be a threat to those beyond the chiss and the books makes it seem like they are. But I doubt Filoni will reference them so I doubt they will end up mattering much. As for replacing their bodies we have a whole comic about a dude who is more metal than man at this point.

9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well that's your problem, you only see ONE side of Star Wars but not another really.

Every place of Star Wars is gonna be different depending on where you go.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You've been on these boards for a while by now, right?

11. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I can kind of get the argument that the Vong are too “weird” for the traditional understanding of Star Wars. I don’t agree with it, but I understand it.

Not sure how the Grysk are comparable to that though.

UnlimitedSarcasm and Xander Vos like this.
  12. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Urgh, reddit. Rarely do I delve into that mess. The only time I go near reddit is because I want a handle on a Galactic calendar.

13. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean i have no stake on the Grysk or not I could take them or leave them I just assume someone out there is saying that.

14. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Would someone say that though? Because the Vong might be seen as offputting and weird because of their mythology: Anti-Force aspects, their self-mutilation, their bio-organic weapons and the heavy focus of religion and character death in their story. I can see how someone might find that at odds with Star Wars in the traditional sense.

The Grysk though? There’s just nothing about them. It’s like being offended or put out by open air.

15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Its the internet so...Probably yes...Somewhere. [face_dunno]

16. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Well, they’re probably not worth mentioning.

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Maybe, but I find a lot of people are very different when having the invisible line when Star Wars just doesn't match up anymore.

Granted that's like the most subjective thing on the planet since one person totally cool for Star Wars is someone completely out there and to far.

It's not a rational thing but then again what art is.

18. harryhenry

harryhenry Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 2015
    Sadly, I have seen plenty of cases where it's turned up in listicles and YouTube videos (not naming names to be kind here) as an example of "oh boy wasn't the EU wacky?" Luuuke gets this too, seemingly just from people who glanced at the Wookieepedia article's title and didn't look any further.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    UnlimitedSarcasm likes this.
  19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean i just saw the Holiday Special and did a commentary on it, and there is plenty of wacky stuff in Star Wars...i actually enjoy quite a bit of it.

Like I get if someone goes to far, but as you say it feels like they just read the wookiepdia article and are latching on to something.

harryhenry likes this.
  20. harryhenry

harryhenry Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 2015
    I have this habit of assuming the new canon is less exciting or daring than Legends, but there is plenty of weirdness still there.

It's why I both think the backlash to Geode from TFM was overblown, and hate those listicles/videos for doing the same with Legends. For the first, a weird idea like Geode isn't actually the real problem here. For the second, you can't act like all the new Canon is perfectly sensible either, and don't slag off Legends for doing weird things sometimes.
    The point is, Star Wars is and always has been weird. It's better to focus on the execution of that weirdness moreso than the weirdness itself being a problem.

Dream-Thinker, Ghost and Xander Vos like this.
  21. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    ^^ This 100%.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Weird is good. And real. Life is so very weird.

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'll agree that execution should always matter

But then I've not cared about the execution of someStar Wars stuff and honestly loved it anyway so...yeah ;p

harryhenry likes this.
  24. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I can't believe a thread about strange things in canon has gotten this far without mentioning the planet that turned out to have a planet-sized sentient rock monster living inside it (from the "Rebels and Rogues" comic arc).

I unabashedly love the weird and wacky side of Star Wars and I hope it never goes away.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016