main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Honesty is the Best Policy: Constructive Criticism... (9/8) Looking for new thread manager!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kettch_the_Jedi, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    Zane and anyone else who needs it, to put a link in your post put...

Name of story

sg

edit: I didn't mean to imply you were implying that Crystal. ;) You've always been a lovely reader. :D

2. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I too am looking to improve my writing. I have found these boards to be very helpful that way already between challenges and feedback and discussion topics. So any constructive criticism of any of the existing works in my bio would be appreciated. I hope to get more work up soon. Including a nice long adventure story.

Thanks,

KD

3. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I'd love constructive criticism on Landslide. Any of the other stories in my bio are open for criticism, too. :)

4. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    oh, nice idea putting all the authors/stories in a directory in the first post! :)

And yay! I've already had one constructive crit. from someone as a result from this, and all is going very well. :D

sg

5. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    Kit,
    I did remove the anonymous idea since so many people disliked it and if there are any problems I will let you know about it right away. :)

Herman,
    Every time I've told my readers "PLEASE give me some suggestions to improve my story" the most I get is a mention of a misspelled word. As for my husband, he cheerfully puts up with me. :) That outways his lack of movie taste. :)

Lt_Jaina,
    Don't worry. I read most anything (although I do have a partiality for Tenel Ka, Tahiri, Wraith, Rogues, and Siri stories).

spiritgurl,
    Thanks. I have a bunch of posts up. My two oldest are Tahiri's Place and Old Rogues Go Rogue (that I wrote mostly for humor purposes) which I started two years ago and since I know that I have grown as an author, I plan on revising them sometime this summer--and taking out all sentences such as this one that are way too long :). I'm also working on a whole new story that I really want criticized but I don't want to post it until I have more of it done.

I also agree with your views on P.M.ing.

Narundi,
    I put your link in the index. :)

solojones,
    Glad you like the idea. :)

CrystalKenobi,
    Thanks for your input. :) I added you to the index.

Vampi,
    Six??? You beat me. :)

Daughter of Yubyub,
    Glad you've joined us. :)

Zane,
    I added yours to the index and I do think you were one of the ones I saw mention wanting helpful criticism.

Knight,
    Welcome aboard. :) I am going to try to get to all the stories but I'm sure it will take awhile.

Emilie,
    I added your links to the index. :)

6. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002
    Everyone
    We have some suggestions for a new title, which is fine with me. So far, I believe "Honesty is the Best Policy: Constructive Criticism" has been suggested. Is everyone okay with that? Are there any other suggestions?

Also, I set up an index on the front page to organize the links. Does this bother anyone? I can change it if you don't like it. :)

7. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Kettch, if you want send me the new story via PM and I'll try to give you some constructive thoughts (probably not till next week though)

sg

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I think that's a great title, and I also love the index in the first post. Great work!

I'm not going to offer to constructive crit your story solojones, because I've already been doing that.

And it's been very much appreciated, spiritgurl. It's good to find some people to make mature comments on stories, positive or constructive :) I do agree with sending constructive comments through PM, though. Because you never can be sure how the author or other people are going to take a comment and it's better to do it politely in private.

You've reminded me of something else, too. When a constructive comment is made and, all pride aside, you still just don't agree with the suggestion, politely thank the commenter and continue on your merry way. Sometimes even the commenter isn't completely sure about what they're saying, it's just something that's occured to them as a possible change to improve. If your way still seems justified, well then you've only solidified your reasons for doing it that way and hopefully explained it to the other person better in the process.

Crystal, I know you've been busy and fallen behind on my story lately, but you give some of the most in-depth and helpful comments :)

Which is a perfect illustration of another point I was going to make- comments meant to really help an author should be well though out and specific. Simply saying 'I thought the dialogue needed work' isn't being specific enough. It's better to give specific examples of where something seemed off and, best of all if possible, suggestions on how you would improve it.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    I like the Honesty title. It fits. And I FINALLY got a beta! *does a wild happy jig at the desk*

10. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Congrats Vampi! :) Good luck with your new beta.

sg

11. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
  12. DarkDroid

DarkDroid Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
    I'd love some constructive criticism on my fic (link's in my sig). Of course, I also like compliments. ;)

13. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    I'm willing to have any of my stories open to suggestions of improvement.

Don't worry. I read most anything (although I do have a partiality for Tenel Ka, Tahiri, Wraith, Rogues, and Siri stories).
    All Things Have Beginnings and Endings focuses more on the Tenel Ka/Jacen aspect than Complications, and the Rogue Squadron (new faces, and some old) is part of the story as well.

~LtJS

14. Fate

Fate Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    I think this is a really good idea. That way the people that are really and truly craving ways to make their writing better can get the help they need without constantly having to beg. Nobody's saying everyone has to do it, but the ones that want to can. This is a creative solution to what seems to have become an ongoing problem, and I'm glad you had the sense to think of it, Kettch_the_Jedi. :) Maybe the boards wouldn't be in such an alleged 'state' if more people would step up to the plate and offer to help out.

Count me in. ;) All of my stories are up for grabs, and the criticism can be either PM-ed or posted directly in the thread. However the 'critic' prefers is fine with me - I don't mind. [face_mischief]

15. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002
    Okay, I've updated the index. Everyone please check that I have your links done correctly. I'm glad we already have one person who had gotten helpful feedback as a result of this thread. It is my intention in the next month to check out at least one story from each listed author/story.

16. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Yay! new title! :D

I did this myself already but some of you may help matters if you posted something about this thread with a link in your story thread just to let your readers know about it. ;)

sg

17. DarkDroid

DarkDroid Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
    Uh, just a note but you have my story listed as "Darl Interventions". :p

18. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002
    Oops! Sorry. It's corrected now. :)

19. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    This is a really cool idea. I agree with a lot of comments here. Though many people don't really want their story insulted in public (for a lot of good reasons), there are also too many of us who would really want to know how to get better. Put me on the list! :D

20. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Actually, I'm open for all my stuff to be reviewed. I haven't had a beta reader in so long, and I miss it! The links are in my bio.

There used to be a thread like this when the WR was first started. It was the second edition of one that we started on the old fanfic boards back when you could still post new topics there. It was also one of the first threads on the WR.

*is an oldbie*

EDIT: Here is the old Constructive Criticism Thread

I couldn't find the original one. :( I never understood why this one got locked though. I'm glad to see that it's back!

21. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    Oh! Yes please! The more constructive criticism the better.

My betas do a wonderful job with A Moment in Time and I love them, but I'm always open to hear more.

Anything of mine is open for target. Senator and A Moment in Time are linked in my sig., and Jedi is right there.

22. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I hesitate to offer up any story for criticism since I've been rather burned of late. However, I would like to have some constructive (not destructive) criticism on my older fic, The Draigon's Lair
    It was rejected some time ago by the Archives for pacing (even though I had 5 betas look at it). Any gentle constructive criticism would be appreciated.

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It's great that people have offered up their stories and shown interest in this thread, but I was just wondering (since this is done by PM and we wouldn't know otherwise) if anyone has actually received any feedback from it. If not, is there some way to organise it here better so we assure that everyone is getting comments?

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    I've had 2 people get back to me about the first chapter, and say they will be reading more and getting back (including one who offered to do some beta work for me).

I plan to try to read at least some of the posts here over the summer and get back to people, even though admittedly, I am much more into the writing part of fan fic than the reading. But in the interest of helping the thread work the way it should, I'll try. :) I would advise anyone who posts their story here try to do the same for the others posting here, and *hopefully* they will return the favor. ;)

sg

25. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    None for me so far. 'Cept I have a permanent beta now! (huggies Michele!}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.