main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Honesty is the Best Policy: the Constructive Criticism thread v2.0 *ANNOUNCEMENT--merge with Betas*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ConCrit_Manager, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConCrit_Manager

ConCrit_Manager Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2006
    Welcome to the revamped constructive criticism thread. The original thread, hosted by Kettch_the_Jedi, can be found here.

What is constructive criticism?

Constructive criticism, or concrit, is when a reader gives the author of a story some helpful feedback, like what the author is doing right, what should be fixed, and some suggestions on how to fix them.

This thread is to encourage people to give concrit. Below are stories and authors who would like constructive criticism on their stories. The idea is to read a story or part of a story, PM the author with constructive criticism, and therefore help the author to become a better writer.

When giving concrit, be nice. Say wht you like as well as things that you thinkk should be fixed. If a story or author is listed, that person wants feedback, but in all other situations, if it's not asked for, it might not be taken well. Don't forget to PM the author rather than giving concrit on the story or in this thread.

If you would like to recieve concrit on your story, PM this sock and send in a link, without mark-up codes, and it will be added to the list. If you will get touchy when people say that they think you should change something you've written, then this thread isn't for you.

I'd also like to add a link to The Beta Reader Index v4.1. Having a beta can really improve your writing. Betas can correct grammar and spelling as well as give you some advice on your story. They can answer questions and give suggestions. Visit the Index, you won't regret it.

Stories with * by them indicate how many people have given concrit on them.

Before the Saga

Scars and Beginnings by Indra*

The Saga

In the Shadow of the Chosen
    What if Vader learned about Leia before he knows about Luke by VadeyFan2002
    Fangirl's Curse by MsLanna
    The Crimson Republic: Battle for Coronet by Ewok15
    Kayary Short Stories by Ms Lanna

Silence by RebelGrrl
    Strength of the Chosen One by Dahlia_Santary
    Shadows Fall by unknown_shore
    Innocence Lost by jaina_clan_solo
    Fallen Petals by Valairy_Scot

No Jump to Far by Valairy_Scot
    Stepping Forward, Looking Back by Valairy_Scot
    Sleeping And Dreaming by leiamoody

Beyond the Saga

Landslide by EmilieDarklighter
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Sag

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Great to see this thread started again! Thanks for taking up the job :)

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002

4. skywalkerlover00

skywalkerlover00 Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2005
    Nat: what's this thread for? I'm not sure I understand this. Care to explain?

5. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    This thread is a fantastic idea! I know there's a demand for it. :D

6. unknown_shore

unknown_shore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2005
    This is a great idea; I've already sent off my PM. :)

Thanks for taking this on!

7. Dahlia_Santary

Dahlia_Santary Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Fantastic idea! I'll send my PM right away!

8. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Awesomeness! Glad to see this up and running. :D

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks for the support :) I'll update the list :)

It's a list of stories and authors who want constructive criticism. Someone will read a story, PM their thoughts about what was done right and what could be fixed to the author, and hopefully that author can improve his or her writing. That help?

10. ConCrit_Manager

Feb 18, 2006
    There have been a ton of new submissions!! :D

Stories

**** Short Stories[/color][/link] by Ms Lanna
    [http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/23025053/]Silence[/link] by RebelGrrl
    The Mechanical Dreams of Nick Solo by Vongchild
    Strenght of the Chosen One by Dahlia_Santary
    New Beginnings by Jaina_Solo_15
    Shadows Fall by unknown_shore
    Murder & Mayhem on Ossus by Kidan
    The Souls of Demons

Authors

RebelGrrl
    ___Sithspawn___
    Pyxelle

I'd also like to add a link to The Beta Reader Index v4.1. Having a beta can really improve your writing. Betas can correct grammar and spelling as well as give you some advice on your story. They can answer questions and give suggestions. Visit the Index, you won't regret it.

11. ConCrit_Manager

Feb 18, 2006
    There is another new story and a new author to add :) I'll try to fix a couple of the links that haven't worked in the first post tomorrow.

Shadows of the Past: A New War by Star_Rocker

mavjade

12. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Aw, great to see this going again.
    I arrived on the boards just in time to see it go down the drain...
    Now All I have to do is glean some time to do some real concrit. Bugger, I'm horrible at it.[face_blush]

[face_laugh] The Kayary link still refuses to work. You might as well just drop it.

13. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I remember when this went down the first time. Let's hope we can keep it around longer this time!

Any of my stories are up for grabs, but the only thing that is a recent sample of my work (everything else is at least six months to a year old) is the story Thy Mother's Glass. If you like the X-Files, please, please, please read that story and tell me what you think. Since it's a crossover, it requires a little bit of expertise from both sides.

14. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    MsLanna: The Kayary link still refuses to work. You might as well just drop it.

The link seems to work when you put a space between the [color] tag and "Kayary". Don't ask me why, though.

Kayary Short Stories by Ms Lanna

- lazy

15. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
  16. ConCrit_Manager

Feb 18, 2006
    Thank you so much!! I'll fix that, then . . .

Today's new story is [http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/22074237/?7]Shattered Mirror[/link] by Draconarius

17. ConCrit_Manager

Feb 18, 2006
  18. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I think it might be helpful if the requested concrit stories were organized by era. I certainly am in no position to provide any input to somebody in the ByTS era, for example and probably not a whole lot in Before the saga either.

I might request some concrit in the future, though I get plenty of that from my beta! :p

19. ConCrit_Manager

Feb 18, 2006
    Thank you so much for your suggestion!!! If you have any others, keep them coming :) That's a great idea :D

Yeah, that's why I provided a link to the Beta Index.

20. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Glad you liked the suggestion! Umm...since you asked! :p

I thought it might be cool if you polled for people willing to give concrit. Open invitations are nice, but I'm not likely to PM somebody and say something like "Well...you asked for it!" and lay into their work, you know? Maybe having a list of Authors willing to give concrit might encourage people to PM them and ask for concrit. Plus, that allows people who have specific concerns with their writing (grammar, characterization, etc) to ask the person in question to look for those particular problems...

Ok...that's my last suggestion. Hey! *shrugs* This is the concrit thread, right? :p

I'll volunteer to give concrit, if you need a guniea pig--erm...I mean...volunteer.

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thank you so much!! You're very helpful :) I'll create a list of people who are willing to do it and add you to the top :)

22. ConCrit_Manager

Feb 18, 2006
    Don't forget that we also need people who are willing to give concrit on the stories listed. Help out an author and PM them some constructive criticism!!

23. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Yeah, I'll sign up as a concrit giver. Beyond would be my specialty, but I suppose I could do Saga and KOTOR stuff as well.

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I'd be willing to do some concrit - Before & Saga. I'll also submit some of my own for concrit. Gotta get what you give.

25. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    I love this thread, it is a wonderful tool.

I also would love to volunteer to give con-crit in the future, however my life is too busy right now.

In the meantime, I would like to place my story on the list to receive concrit:

{link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=21530527&replies=6]Worth Saving[/link]

Complete with broken link to help in editing it in!

Zonoma

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.