main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hotel Block Registration

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Grumpy_Jedi, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    Has anyone received their email yet with the code? I know registration opens at 10PST but I thought we would have received the code by now. Is 10PST when the codes will be sent out?

2. Leia214

Leia214 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    I didn't get mine yet either but I thought they weren't going to start sending them until 8 am PST - I could be wrong though!

3. sithlard

sithlard Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2004
    From the Registration FAQ on Gen Con's website:

"Q: If I register on Monday, October 30, 2006 at 12:00 noon (PST) will I receive my housing code?

No, those who register for their badge the week registration opens will receive a housing code in the morning of Thursday November 2, 2006, en masse email between 7:30 AM - 10:00 AM PST. Badge registration will be taken offline on Thursday, November 2, 2006 from 7:30 AM (PST) to 10:00 AM (PST) for this transition. Make sure you have the appropriate email address in your login account so you receive the email. It will be sent from email@gencon.com."

So any moment now we should be getting our codes!

4. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    10:00amPST is 1:00pmEST here in NY. So we have a few hours to go before the codes are e-mailed out to us.

It's only 9:13am EST here in NY right now.

5. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Yeah, guys, learn to tell time! LOL. It is 6:25 AM in California right now... so, at least an hour to go before they start sending.

6. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Why are you up so early?

Tell you what guys. I'm going to see if I can reserve a room at the block, depending on if they need a depost now or not. I'll read the rules and if anyone ends up needing a room, maybe I can transfer it. Or, if I decide to stay there, maybe I can transfer my room at the Fig. I kinda had my heart set on staying there but we'll see.

Val, you mentioned once before the number of rooms that are reserved for the block. What was that number again? What are the chances of the rooms selling out quickly?

7. miarama

miarama Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    I can't wait :D . I took the day off today, and this one person at work was wondering why I took a Thursday off, since I never take it off. I told him that I would be "busy working at my other Subway location." LOL.

8. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I am always up this early, usually about 5 AM. I get on the boards so I can see that everything's gone well during the night LOL. Just had to remove some spamvertising on other boards, so there's always something to do.

According to the company who's doing the room reservations own press release, they are only holding a maximum of 3,500 rooms on peak nights (probably Friday and Saturday, maybe Thursday). So, if you do the hotel math (they like to fill the rooms with two people), that's only room for 7,000 people. Now, that does not mean that there isn't room for 35,000 people in town, just that not all local hotels are going to be in the room block (like for instance, the Fig isn't). This is obviously not E3 scheduling. There will be plenty of places to stay, you just may have to go a little further afield. Like I've mentioned, people ought to think Pasadena! You can get to downtown L.A. on the train, or you can drive 20 minutes or so and you're there. Plus there's lots of nice places to stay in Pasadena because it is home to the Rose Parade and so there are a lot of motels. I work there so I know it's nice :). OK, done with soapbox now.

Finally -- I reserved two rooms at C-III. I kept one, and "gave" the other to a TF.N member. I put his name on the hotel reservation along with mine -- that's all you'll need to do, and hotels do it all the time (because business people share rooms, etcetera, etcetera). I even added his credit card number to the reservation, just to confirm it. As long as the other person commits to showing up, you are good to go. Just make sure that it is a proper person and not a flake who won't show up for the reservation, which means you might be stuck with one night's deposit!

9. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Gotcha. Makes sense... Gracias!

10. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm pretty stoked. I just found out that if I can get n at the Omni, my already discounted rate might get discounted more.

I was considering taking my code and holding a room for someone who needed it, but I don't know anyone who isn't a flake.

11. darthhomeboy-G

darthhomeboy-G Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 2005
    This will be awesome and I did registered, waiting for my e-mail.
    ....from the darth side of the force.

12. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    WOW...We are all obsessed arn't we. I was up late with the badges and I cannot believe I am on already today. I contacted GenCon for all of us paranoid people and this is what they said. They said that Hotel reservations will begin at 1:00 p.m est. So we have a few hours before we need to register. I suggest that you look over your stuff from CIII to re-aquaint you with the process. I kept mine so if you need have any questions, I will check back periodically throughout the morning to see if there are any. Also, make sure you have your credit card information and dates written down, so that you do not have to get up and run during the registration time.

Also, don't forget your oxygen masks...they will not drop down out of the ceiling, and make sure it is oxygen, not nitrous oxide...aka...laughing gas. Well, see ya all later and remember "Patience" and relax.

May the Force be at your fingertips....

Love ya guys
    [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying]

13. Joerhyno

Joerhyno Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2006
    Got my code...it is your GenCon ID #

14. Grumpy_Jedi

Jun 2, 2006
    Yeah, got mine too. Don't know what all the fuss is about now. The prices don't seem much cheaper to me. I think I'll stick with my room at the Fig.

15. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    FOR THOSE OF YOU ALREADY RECEIVING YOUR CODES....COULD YOU CUT AND PASTE THE INFO HERE ON THE THREAD...THIS MAY HELP US OUT EMENSELY...

YIPPIE........

16. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I think the number is different for each person, isn't it? So using someone else's code probably wouldn't work.

17. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    It's not that bad at all. I need am saving an additional $150 at the Omni by using it, but I was expecting it to be a little cheaper.

18. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    I dont want someone elses code...Just the hotel pricing list and info. Heck, I would not post my code here...thats dangerous!!!

19. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Oh, sorry thought you wanted the code. Might be hard to read, but here is the info:

Westin Bonaventure Hotel (Headquarter Hotel) Downtown
    404 S. Figueroa Street
    ** Rollaway Beds are not allowed in rooms with 2 beds **

Hotel is now designated as SMOKE FREE. Located just over a mile from the Los Angeles Convention Center, The Westin Bonaventure Hotel offers three restaurants, two bars, 24-hr room service, a fitness center, jogging track, heated outdoor pool, sun deck, and valet laundry. Every guestroom offers a city view, wireless high-speed Internet access (additional fee), dual-line telephones with dataports and voicemail, hairdryers, in-room safes, irons and boards, cable televisions with pay-per-view, mini-bars, and coffeemakers.

ROOMS Available May 21-29
    $185.00 Single - 1 Person
    $185.00 Double - 2 Persons
    $225.00 Triple - 3 Persons
    $255.00 Quad - 4 Persons

Hilton Checkers Hotel Downtown
    535 S. Grand Avenue

The only European-style boutique hotel in downtown Los Angeles, the Hilton Checkers hotel offers a restaurant, lounge, 24-hr room service, a rooftop spa and fitness center, swimming pool and sun deck, business center, and valet laundry. Guestrooms offer high speed Internet access (additional fee), telephones with dataports and voicemail, cable televisions with pay-per-view, coffeemakers, hairdryers, mini-bars, irons and boards, and bathroom amenities.

ONE BEDDED ROOM Available May 21-28
    $179.00 Single - 1 Person
    $179.00 Double - 2 Persons

Holiday Inn City Center Downtown
    1020 S. Figueroa Street
    No Shuttle Service. Hotel within walking distance.

The Holiday Inn City Center is located one block from the Los Angeles Convention Center. It offers a restaurant, bar, room service, valet and self-service laundry, fitness center, and heated outdoor pool. Guestrooms offer complimentary high-speed Internet access, telephones with voicemail and dataports, cable televisions with pay-per-view, hairdryers, coffeemakers, irons and boards, and bathroom amenities.

ROOMS Available May 22-28
    $173.00 Single - 1 Person
    $173.00 Double - 2 Persons
    $183.00 Triple - 3 Persons
    $183.00 Quad - 4 Persons

Kawada Hotel Los Angeles Downtown
    200 S. Hill Street

The Kawada Hotel is for the budget-conscious traveler. It offers a restaurant, cafe, lounge, room service, on-site laundry room, and valet parking. The 115 guestrooms offer high-speed Internet access (additional fee), cable televisions, VCR's, telephones, hairdryers, kitchenettes, and bathroom amenities.

ONE BEDDED ROOM Available May 22-28
    $119.00 Single - 1 Person
    $119.00 Double - 2 Persons

TWIN BEDDED ROOM Available May 23-28
    $119.00 Single - 1 Person
    $119.00 Double - 2 Persons
    $134.00 Triple - 3 Persons

Los Angeles Athletic Club Downtown
    431 West Seventh Street

Located seven blocks from the Los Angeles Convention Center, the Hotel offers two restaurants and two bars, a poolside breakfast cafe, complimentary fruit & cheese basket upon arrival, complimentary coffee, tea and muffins and newspaper delivered each weekday morning, complimentary hot breakfast buffet in The Grill Room, a fitness center, spa services, pool, and business center. The guestrooms offer high-speed Internet access (additional fee), cable televisions, telephones with dataports, hairdryers, irons and boards, coffeemakers, minibars, and bathroom amenities.

ONE BEDDED ROOM Available May 23-28
    $145.00 Single - 1 Person
    $145.00 Double - 2 Persons

Los Angeles Marriott Downtown Downtown
    333 South Figueroa Street

Hotel is now designated as SMOKE FREE. Located just over a mile from the Los Angeles Convention Center, the Los Angeles Marriott Downtown offers two restaurants, two bars, 24-hr room service, fitness center, heated outdoor pool, business services and valet laundry. Guestrooms offer wireless high-speed Internet access (additional fee)

20. AnimeNut

AnimeNut Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    Wow, these block prices are... unimpressive, aren't they? Since I didn't book my room at the Figueroa early enough, I did the next best thing -- STILLWELL HOTEL!!! It's about the same distance from the convention center as the other hotels on the block list... but they're only charging $59 per night. I'm not joking.

The only catch is that, since they're not on the hotel block list, there probably won't be shuttle service to the Stillwell Hotel. Still, I walked further from my hotel room at both C2 and C3, so I'm not too worried. Of course, downtown Indy is not quite the same thing...

Unless you can afford the $173/night rate at the Holiday Inn City Center, I strongly recommend the Stillwell as a viable alternative. Their website is www.stillwellhotel.com

21. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Most of these hotels are in the hotel threads I started, if you want to look at pictures. Go here and scroll down to locate each individual thread.

22. pwinklespi

Mar 30, 2004
    Its been almost a year and I still have nightmares about this place. It was dirty. even the front lobby was disgustingly dirty. We stayed on the tenth floor. I thought the elevator was going to fall the whole ride up. It was a small, crowded, rickety junk bucket elevator. Then we get to the room - the locks hardly work. There was two twin beds and the entire place was very old and looked absolutely filthy (matted dirty carpeting, scuffed walls, dusty curtains). Neither my boyfriend nor I felt comfortable walking around barefoot, not even on the beds. we slept on top of the sheets, on the bed furthest from the door. The bathroom was disgusting as well - it had that scary haunted look, the toilet did NOT flush, the showerhead did NOT work (unless you call droplets of water slowly dripping out working) and on top of that the shower drain was clogged. And the worst part - we locked ourselves out of the room on our way out for the night, so when we returned we asked the front desk for a set of spare keys to the room. Which they gave to us. without checking our IDs. or verifying that we lived in that room. So in essence, anyone can walk up to the front desk and get a key to any room and break in. yeah, really safe. In the future i'd rather pay more for safety and cleanliness. A motel six or other motel equivalents would have seemed like a palace in heaven compared to this place.

23. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    Thanks Val...your the BOMB

I do not see a better deal than the one I got at the Figueroa. However, I just did some thinking...If my reservation is lost at the Figueroa hotel than by reserving a hotel in the system, definently I would have a reservation. Plus, if I decide not to use the blocked room, I can always help out a fellow Star Wars pal by giving them my room. HUH...dont know what to do.

GOSH I AM SO CONFUSED
    [face_thinking]

24. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Man, am I glad I booked at the Fig when I did. These "discounted" prices are not that special to me. Maybe $185 per night is a good deal to stay in downtown LA (I'm not a big traveler, so I am not familiar with hotel prices on the West Coast), but that is way more than what I am paying at the Fig.

25. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    I worked out the holiday inn is $16 cheaper than what I am paying for the room per night so I could save myself $224 which I may aswell do

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.