main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hotel master list

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    updated

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Thanks for the help with the updates.

3. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    All good Obi, Im in here 10 times a day. :)

4. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    SWEEET. I just changed my plans to the Days Inn. See you and LoveLucus there.

5. wookieesrus

wookieesrus Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2009
    Just a quick question instead of creating a new thread....

Are the walkways that connect the hotels to the convention center actually enclosed, or is it open air?

6. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    Based on Google streetview in the map (link in my signature) it looks like they are covered, but open air.

7. wookieesrus

Dec 6, 2009
    I thank ya ;)

8. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    yes this is Orlando FL, But I cant get over how much cheaper hotels are compared to LA and CIV.
    CIV , I stayed at the Holiday Inn about .5 miles from the Center and it was $200 a night and there was NOTHING special about it and VERY VERY small I might add.
    Through SW.com rooms are $65 - $130 a night. I was going to stay with my brother the hole time but he lives 25 miles from the Con so I decided a Hotel room for a few nights would be easy on everyone. I am so glad the rooms were , One ..still available and Two..Good prices.

9. SECRETSISTER

SECRETSISTER Jedi Master star 8

Nov 18, 2001
    My son (Sorin Kain, Prelate Zeratual) and I will be at the Ramada Inn. :D See ya there!

10. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Updated

11. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    Map updated as well

http://bit.ly/ffswcv

12. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I looked at that map. If you zoom in on it, you can see the logos of the various hotels and fast food places on the satellite picture. And the CV logo is on both parts of the convention center, but I thought it was only in the West hall of the OCCC.

And most disturbing is that instead of the business logo for the Days Inn, there is a photo of a cockroach. Or perhaps it is a tick or a beg bug?

Since I made my reservation at the Days Inn, I'm understandably concerned about what that means? I suppose the Days Inn might be, too.

Sooooooooooooooo, who's map is that anyway?

13. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009

I made the map. I added all of the logos and links and names. Since we didn't (or still don't) know which hall of the OCCC was going to be for CV, I put it on both.

I was wondering who would notice the bed bug photo for the Days Inn. It was actually done as a joke as there has been more than one person comment on these and other forums that that particular hotel has gotten poor reviews because of bed bugs. Might want to read the reviews here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34515-d85472-Reviews-Days_Inn_Orlando_International_Drive_South_of_Universal-Orlando_Florida.html

14. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Those reviews were made a month ago, I wounder if it has change, Also My brother lives outside of Orlando and he says that bugs are common everywhere, I wounder if I change would it be the same .

15. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    I canceled Day's Inn and got Hampton Inn.
    I cant mustered the thought of my trip being rulen by all that stuff listed in the detail. Big THANKS to Mattdoc for the heads up!
    From the looks of the Map Hampton inn is a good 15 min walk. I hope there is at least one shuttle going or coming that we can catch.

16. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I could of sworn that I recently read that they were going to have it in both Convention wings now. I may have misread though.

17. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    I highly recommend that everyone check out the hotel you booked on this site: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ (or any other travel/hotel review site)

Especially if you got one of the really, really cheap hotels. Usually, there is a reason they are so inexpensive.

There have also been warnings on these and other forums about any "motel" style hotel where you access your room from the outside. Thieves can see when you leave your room and know when to try to break in. Not saying that it will happen to you, but you'll need to be extra cautious and be sure to leave *nothing* in your room during the day. This convention will be very well advertised in the area. An extra 30,000+ people in town on top of the normal vacationers will draw out the hoodlums. :)

While I haven't stayed at this one yet (but have stayed at others), I booked the La Quinta on International Drive (not the one on Jamaica). It got good reviews, has good services, and is only about a mile from the OCCC.

Anyway to sum up...read reviews for your hotel...it may be worth a few extra bucks per night for cleanliness and safety.

18. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Thats why I choice The Hampton. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34515-d88245-Reviews-Hampton_Inn_Orlando_Convention_Center-Orlando_Florida.html
    #15 out of 349 hotels in Orlando.
    90% satisfactory rating out of 168 reviews.

One thing, what am I to do with my stuff if I should not leave it in the room?

19. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I'll have to thank you for the map - I cancelled the Days Inn. I still need to make a new reservation, but it will likely be one of the 501st/RL hotels - I'm in the Rebel Legion and will be participating in some of their events and their hotels have excellent reviews. I really would have preferred a hotel closer to the CC, but all of them had issues though none were nearly as bad as the Days Inn. What really blew it for the Days Inn was that the reviews for all the Days Inn in the Orlando area were bad, not just the CC one. That's a very bad sign.

The OCCC web site lists CV only in the West Concourse on the Calendar, so I assume that it's just there.

20. wookieesrus

Dec 6, 2009
    Wow...how in the world is that Days Inn even still in business?

Those reviews sounds like that hotel has made it on the "Cops" TV show a few times :eek:

21. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    Obviously you can leave things like clothes, toiletries, etc. No one can expect you to not leave that stuff there. I'm talking about valuables like laptops, cameras, ipods, etc. You have a few options here:

1) Cram as much in the in-room safe as you can, if there is one.
    2) No in-room safe? Check the front desk. They sometimes have safes there you can use
    3) Take it with you. It may be heavy, but if your laptop is with you, it's harder to steal. This gets tougher once you start acquiring your Star Wars collectibles though.
    4) Got a car? Lock it in the trunk. Sure, still run the risk of someone stealing the car or breaking in to take it (if they know it's there) but at least it's locked and out of sight and not just sitting in a hotel room for anyone to take
    5) Use your suitcase. Lock everything in your suitcase. If they can't see what you have, they'll be less likely to take it and if they can't get in your suitcase, they won't know. If you want to get more hard core, get a lockable strap or cord and lock the case to something in the room (pipes in bathroom, etc.) There are many secure, lockable bags out there if you are really worried about this
    6) Get creative and hide the stuff somewhere in the room. Sure, there aren't many places in the average hotel room for this, but if you look hard enough, you might be able to figure something out.
    7) Make 'em think you never left. Do you need housekeeping? Keep the Do Not Disturb on the door, leave the lights on, and leave the TV on ESPN. Sure, not the most environmentally friendly, but if a thief is looking for a room to rob, they'll be less likely to try yours if it sounds like someone is in there.

In the end, you'll have to go with your gut about whether your stuff feels safe in your room or not. But common sense should prevail. Don't leave valuable things laying around the room when you aren't there. You're just asking for trouble, no matter how nice the hotel is.

22. wookieesrus

Dec 6, 2009
    Number 7 for sure...

Anytime I travel I always keep the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. I'm never doing anything in my room to where I have to have housekeeping coming in every day. They can earn their money once I have left, lmao [face_laugh]

23. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Ya I'm not lugging my laptop around with me. I had no trouble leaving my stuff in the room in Indy or LA . If something comes up missing wouldn't I have a good case of employee theft ?
    I'm sure leaving the DND sign out and the tv on will do the job.

24. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Residence Inn Convention Center
    Falls_the_Shadow
    No FFA currently

25. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    You can always call the front desk and request a time for someone to clean your room. If you want them to clean it with you still there to make sure they don't take anything. As a Front Desk Clerk, if you are worried about people taking things. I would recommend putting your clothes in the drawers and then anything priceless underneath those clothes. Housekeepers are not allowed to touch your belongings, doesn't mean they won't. But they are not suppose too. And something like your clothes being ransacked will help your case with the front desk. They will then find the housekeeper that cleaned the room and all things should be taken care of accordingly from there. If the Front Desk gives you a hard time demand to talk to the Manager.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.