main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL HOTH has come!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JediLars, Dec 11, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediLars

JediLars Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    Hey all, looks like winter has hit. Unfortunatly I won't have to leave home, since I work right here. Sounds like we will need a tauntaun or a snowspeeder today to get around. An ATAT woundn't be a bad thing either. Here go, what type of equipment would you choose to get around in this weather? Anyway drive careful if have to get out.

JediLars

2. Empyre

Empyre Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2000
    What how much are you guys getting. Here we are expecting at least 3 feet by tomorrow. I'm at school now and the snow is coming down such that visibility is about 25 feet.
    I wish I had a speeder, since after school I have to go to help my former high school wire up a sound system for an upcoming play. Instead I have a car with no heater, but fortunately new tires.

3. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    And they laughed when I started wearing ski goggles to work. Well who's laughing now? Surely not the fools who grope blindly through eyes shut tight to protect them from the stinging weather. How long do these people have to live in Chicago winters to realize that the sillier you look, the warmer you'll stay? And believe me, I'm damn toasty today.

-Le Penguin
    "Oh, the weather outside is frightful
    But the fire is so delightful
    And since we've no place to go
    Let it snow
    Let it snow
    Let it snow"

4. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Well, we were supposed to wake up to an ice storm today, but thankfully the forecasters were wrong. But, since ice, not snow, is what we usually get here in StL, my choice would be repulsor sled, piloted by chauffeur. I want to be dropped off at the door everyplace I go, and not have to set one foot on any d@mn slippery ice.

LP, ski goggles, great idea. Don't know if I would do it, but still a great idea.

5. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Since I'm facing the drive home, I would really like a snow speeder. I'll even take Dack as my gunner, as long as those speeders have heat. :)

JediAutobot

6. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, we woke up to snow... and a lot of wind. I had to dig my car out this morning and get to school. And it gets worse. We were the only school in the area that was not closed. I got to a community college and even NIU was closed. The roads were really bad, but I made it safely. I had to work in the bookstore at 8 and no one was in there and then I went to class at 10 and there were 6 people. Then they closed school at a little after 10 after what seemed like forever. My sisters were totally laughing at me 'cause they didn't have school. Oh, well. What sucks though is that exams are this week and I really needed to go to class to day to get prepared.
    We're supposed to get between 14 and 18 inches I think, but who knows. Illinois is weird like that.

7. JediLars

JediLars Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    Hey JG, what is the weather supposed to be like in North MO? I am have a flight to KC tomorrow and I have been trying to get Info from the weather channel. But I hate to wait for that station to get through all the regions. Anyway if you have any input I would apreciate it.

Thanks

JediLars

8. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Lars, I have to tell ya, I'm clueless. It all usually depends on where the jet stream is at any given point. As you well know, here in the midwest, you either get hit hard by the big weather, or you don't see it much at all. All I can say, is that KC and StL seldom have the same weather, b/c the jet stream usually hits one and not the other. KC's about 4 hours west, so it's a WORLD of difference. Sorry couldn't be more helpful. If you ever want to know the weather for Lambert Airport in StL though, just let me know, I'm only about 1 mile away from it. :)

9. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

MaraJadeSkywalkerFF Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    The Twin Cities have been busy paying a tribute to ESB's planet Hoth for a while now. But today, I think we went overboard!

The current temp is 0, with a windchill temp of -27. Yuck!

10. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Shoveled my driveway 3 times yesterday. With all the wind out by me (just whipping over the empty corn and soybean fields), my grass was almost free of any snow - 'cept for the two huge drifts on both sides of my driveway. And I think a plow actually went down my street......

11. Fenix

Fenix Jedi Master star 3

Feb 14, 2000
    I was hoping that it would come to the Twin Cities. I did not want to go to school on Monday. Or even today.

12. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    JJ (or should I say "JJ13?" ...whatever) I found out a while back that along with the obvious fashion-forward attitude that comes with wearing snow goggles, they actually do help tremendously. Physically, they protect your eyes from snow, debris, and harsh wind (no surprises there, I know.) But my main reason for wearing them is their psychological aid. Without the wind, snow and various crap blowing in my face, I'm free to relax my eyes and keep them open in a natural position. I was amazed at how much better I felt once I could see clearly and didn't have to worry about those sudden gusts that like to come along and brutally dry out one's eyes. A decent pair of goggles will run you about 20 dollars, or you could go with a slightly higher-end pair of ski goggles (usually those are also tinted and block UV rays.) Trust me on this one; I spent a good 15 minutes yesterday frollicking around the plaza in front of the Hancock building (notoriously one of the windiest parts of Chicago.)

So that's my monthly attempt to be helpful. You can all now officially go to Hell.

-Le Penguin
    "The subsequent transformation would result in a penguin some 64 feet high."

13. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Ummm.....Penguin? If I shell out the 20 smackers for the googles, won't they just be a waste when I get to Hell?

Just asking.

14. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    You think that your R2 w/ holographic Leia won't melt when you get down there, too? And you'r buying _2_ of those damned (no pun intended) things.

-Le Penguin
    "Welcome to Hell. Here is your accordion."

15. Empyre

Jul 25, 2000
    Well we got our three feet. My house didn't get plowed out until 11:00 today, and now I am finally back to school. It was nice. Right after I posted my last message they closed the school. It stayed closed yesterday also. Which means that three of my four fianls were cancelled. All three profs are pretending that we took them and all got 95. Now one last easy final (in logic) and I am free until Jan 16. Expect to see even less of me now, since I will be forced to use a 14.4 to connect.

16. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, we got another 4 inches today. Hurrah.

But, Empyre! I'm very jealous! Because school was cancelled just one Monday (yes, yet again we were the only school opened on Tuesday), my schedule's all screwed up now, so instead of taking my exams all this week, I have 'em today, Friday, Monday, and Tuesday. It pretty much sucks.

But, dude, where do you go to school?! I mean, none of my instructors would even think of not giving us exams at all. You are one lucky guy. Maybe I should transfer there instead of NIU! :p

17. Stardreamer

Stardreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2000
    I drove from f/t work to p/t work today... er, yesterday, but I haven't gone to bed yet. ;) Anyway... it took me three hours to get from northern Des Plaines to Schaumburg. That's usually a half-hour trip, forty-five minutes tops in heavy traffic.

What sort of vehicle would I like? <VEG> Well, see my tagline below... it's from a button I wore tonight, though the original said "M1 tank". ;>

Thom
    "There's nothing wrong with Chicago traffic that driving an AT-AT wouldn't fix."

18. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    "You people are all crazy, do you know that?" Well, I don't know about 3 feet, but South Bend did get some snow. I spent the whole night (2 nights ago) driving around seeing what trouble I could get into. There was a 6PM curfew over the whole city, but not one cop in sight to pull me over. It's really fun to do doughnuts in the middle of a usually busy avenue. Most of the businesses closed at 4PM, exept for Meijer, Wal-Mart and 7-11, of course. It is a great luxury to have a rear-wheel drive car for fun, and a front-wheel drive car for traction in times like these :)

19. Empyre

Jul 25, 2000
    Mav we actually went and measured the snow in front of our house. It was just under three feet. but that could have been from a lot of blowing and drifting.
    As to school being closed, wel,l the major roads weren't plowed until midday tuesday and the secondary not until Early wednesday. I have to go take my last final now. Wish me luck.

20. Stardreamer

Stardreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2000
    As far as plowing goes, I've been lucky... even my street, a minor one, was plowed by the time I got home from work last night. :D Man, that was some nasty weather!

Now the sun's out. I love it!

Thom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.