main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Hourglass

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by galactic-vagabond422, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    IC: Korto
    Disoriented

It took a little while, but Korto managed to find the words.

"There was a definite air of malice belonging to who held it... black paint in the distinctive Hourglass shape... a neon sign, Osk Aurek Trill... Open All Time..." They murmured that. "A store of some kind, open late. Bells, bells, footsteps... the can was dropped... the spray can..." Korto frowned. "They might not have had the spray can with them? I don't know. It's getting messy."

It was an impression, and such things faded back into the Force after a time.

"Can Nat use that to find where it was purchased?"

Korto looked over, curious.

"Yes there's a shop around the corner. Not sure why our killer would go there…or maybe our victim? Anyway it's something."

"We should check it out," Korto said, looking to the others. "Maybe there's some cam footage!"

A stir of excitement to their air.

TAG: @galactic-vagabond422, @greyjedi125, @The Jedi in the Pumas, @T4M1-7

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  2. T4M1-7

T4M1-7 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 30, 2022
    IC: Anya
    Picking up the scent

Anya tried to remain cool as she collected her cocktail glass and took another sip. The ice cold liquid slipped down her throat. Greeda's words directed her to one conclusion: This has to be the guy!

The reptilian continued...

A few nights ago... Could he still be here?

Anya replaced her drink on the mat and focused. She was close, she could sense it. Carefully now...

"I didn't mean to stand him up. I work in a bar - nothing as nice as this, believe me - but they changed my shift and I couldn't get out of it and I couldn't lose this job - you know how it is? I tried calling here but reception refused to put me through: I didn't know his room number or even his last name. He got mad. Tonight is my last chance, I guess." she sighed, checking over her shoulder. "I wanted to surprise him at his room, but... I still don't know the number, or his last name..."

She hoped she had not overplayed it. She was sure staff at a place like this were well drilled about privacy. Whatever happened, Anya vowed to make sure Greeda would not get into any trouble.

@galactic-vagabond422 @greyjedi125 @The Jedi in the Pumas @Sinrebirth

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  3. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    IC: Zardonyx
    Open All Time?

Causing a ‘Turf War’ they could not possibly win was not her intention, so visiting Mercador was off the table, at least for now. So, a different approach was needed. The Mirialan was not directly connected to the case, therefore making her ID check was technically lower in priority.

Even so, Nat had provided a clue they could follow. The shop around the corner. Did the Hourglass Killer go there? If so, how long ago? Korto had lifted the information from the spray can using his special talents. If the shop had security cameras, then they could probably ID the Hourglass Killer. It was worth a shot.

Still, not everything was adding up.

Open All Time.

There was something about that phrase that seemed to need exploration. Was the Hourglass Killer ‘saying something’?

“I’ll go check out the shop.” Zee communicated to her crime-fighting partners.

A shop that was ‘Open All Time’ was a rare thing around these part. It would no doubt attract a variety of clients, with a variety of needs. Such a place would have to cater to many a patron to stay in business, and likely require some kind of ‘protection’, for the sake of security -and in many cases- confidentiality.

“I’ll keep my channel open so you can hear.”

With that said, Zardonyx lifted the hood of her cloak and covered her visage. Her hands went into her pockets as she began to make her way to the shop, now marked on her comm. Korto had provided them with a good actionable lead. They, that is, the FSS had no other recourse but to follow it to its natural conclusion.

“Let’s see what secrets we can find, shall we?”

Tag: @galactic-vagabond422, @Sinrebirth, @T4M1-7, @The Jedi in the Pumas

4. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    Rufus Dreis
    Open All Time

Z entered the convenience store with the distinctive jangle of bells. The interior was nothing special, metal racks with items and prices in the center with chillers around the outside. The ales and spirits were locked a helpful sign asking patrons to see the attendant for assistance. The rest of the chillers held various other goods that need to be kept cool. Milks of various nuts and animals, fizzy drinks, and, water. At the end of the chilled section, in the far front corner, a rack of spray paints, with every color under the sun.

This was the place she was looking for, not that she would ever doubt the prowess of her team mates. At the counter was a young Weequay his winkles not quite deepened yet, his head braid not quite down to his shoulder. His attention seemed to be on the screen tucked in the corner of what looked like a blaster resistant box. Likely to protect the attendant in case of a robbery. Even so the sound from the holo screen could be heard.

"...Higgle has Kimbo up this could be…" A breathless announcer started. By the reflections Z could see what looked to be a professional wrestling match. "The Higgle High Slam. He goes for the Pin…1…2.."

The door closed ringing the bells again.

The young man snapped his head up quickly silencing the holo…

"Um, ah hi, mam' um…" He met her eyes quickly looking down, hard to tell if he was just startled or if there was something else going on. "Is there anything I could help you with?"

TAG: @greyjedi125

Nat
    FSS Office

"Team I think I have something…" The support officer called out over the team com, "It wasn't easy. This girl is a ghost, no speeder, no starship, no ID, and no Record, digitally she doesn't exist." There was a hint of annoyance in the slicer's voice, as if she couldn't stand being thwarted, that all of her prowess with computers was useless against this target. "I was getting desperate, so I reached out to Central Command to get access to the Closed Circuit Sensors. They gave me the run around bouncing me from division to division until I ended up chatting with Lower Sector Control when I finally get somewhere. Not from the person I started talking to, they said it would be too difficult, a dung beetle in a sarlacc. Then a beat seccer came in and asked if 'Anya was ok?',"

A soft breath echoed over the line.

"I thought it was just chatter in the background, then he came on the line asking if Anya was ok. Turns out the seccer knows our girl. Anya Nishani, I run the name through our system and find nothing, again. I get him talking though he seemed willing to give everything he knew, especially once I told him I was working on the Hourglass Killer. He said she was a nice kid, working her shebs off to keep clean and alive. He'd popped her a few times for small things, nothing serious nothing worth reporting. Girl stays out of trouble, no solicitation, no possession, not even public drunkenness, but I get the feeling she just stays out of everything. Ren, that's the seccer, said he'd tried to get her into some classes, or point her to some resources that could help and she never took them. I feel like she just doesn't want to leave a footprint. It's odd. Though maybe she has a good reason."

Another pause as she pulled up more information.

"Says she's a dancer, a good one, could do something with that if she was born higher up, or had a luckier breaks. For now though she works at a place called Sensations, an exotic dance club. The owner has a record, all charges, no convictions, never even brought to trial. I can't tell if he's smart or just protected but, it's not pretty some of the things he's been accused of. But, Ren says the boss keeps his girls safe, as long as they bring in the credits."

"But that got me thinking, I thought I'd heard that name before, Sensations…Well when we got this case I looked up cases with a similar MO, or staging you know, see if we can find more data points, or see if something slipped through the cracks. I think I might have found something."

The team's data pads pinged with a new case file "Jina Latuna"

"She's a twi'lek found strangled in the lower levels, a side alley away from sensors, the file is thin doesn't look like the seccers on the scene cared or even put two and two together…."

Nat paused, letting what she was saying sink in.

"I think we just found a fifth victim…" A fifth, one that slipped through the cracks, one that could have given them more evidence, just missing.

"With the time of death, I'd put her between the second and thrid killing. The key thing though is that Jina was last seen leaving Sensations…Then a few days or so later Anya is walking by the most recent crime scene. There's a connection there, I think. But, if we want to find Anya, talk to Ozzo, the boss down at Sensations. Bring your pocket book, his mother tongue is money."

TAG: @Sinrebirth @The Jedi in the Pumas @greyjedi125 (Post made with the assistance of @T4M1-7 )

Greeda
    Grand Nubian

Greeda nodded her head as the other woman spoke. She understood the power that bosses had, the need for a stable job, or any job at all. Though her brow went up as she heard the request.

"You'd think he'd have given you that information. He didn't seem the shy type." Greeda looked left then right before leaning in. "Level with me, you trying to run a game on him? Get him wound up and frustrated so he have him wrapped around your finger?" A slight turn of her head, "Or is he promising you something, a better life, an escape? Far be it from me to judge your motives. I get having to do what you have to. I just want to know what I'm getting myself into."

TAG: @T4M1-7

I_am_Kooky, T4M1-7 and greyjedi125 like this.
  5. T4M1-7

Jan 30, 2022
    Getting hotter...

[​IMG]

Anya exhaled at Greeda's questions. The reptilian was right to ask them, of course, as any good gossiping bar-worker should. But she really wanted to keep the Rodian out of it.

It was tantalising being so close to catching this lead... Anya had to make a decision. Level with Greeda and tell her the whole thing? That would mean admitting her lies up to now. Or keep up the façade and hope to get the information without involving the Rodian in any trouble?

Either way represented the risk of losing the lead.

Anya decided she had to keep Greeda out of trouble first, and worry about the lead second. She could always try someone else who worked at the hotel. The Mirialan dancer leaned back across the bar.

"No games... I don't need that kind of trouble. I genuinely could not make our last date and had no way to contact him. So he thinks I stood him up and got mad at me..."

Mid-sentence, Anya changed her mind. She decided Greeda was a local girl, just like her, and it was worth trusting her. In fact, Greeda had been good enough to offer help to her, so she felt that she owed the Rodian some trust. Anya leaned even closer and lowered her voice to a whisper.

"OK, look, I wasn't totally honest with you before. I'm sorry. Let me explain. This guy... he hurt a friend of mine. Bad. So I have to be careful. I don't want to get you involved in any trouble. If anyone asks, this conversation never happened and I never met you. I'm just trying to find a room number for him. After that... I don't know what to do. Can you please help me?"

@galactic-vagabond422 @greyjedi125 @Sinrebirth @The Jedi in the Pumas

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well yeah lets split up

They frowned.

The support officer had just rambled something horrid, but Korto kept up.

Just about, though they did wonder if they should just count the number of times the guy used the word seccers and let the others translate.

Anya Nishani?

Ren?

Sensations... Korto was pretty sure they'd been there, once, but that wasn't going to be information that was volunteered in a hurry.

Jina Latuna?

"But, if we want to find Anya, talk to Ozzo, the boss down at Sensations. Bring your pocket book, his mother tongue is money."

Korto managed to keep their tone even. "We can speak to Ozzo, and speak his language, no doubt."

Volunteering to go to a club.

Why not.

Korto nodded to their colleague [Puma, you], and said. "You should go speak to this Ren guy. Seems someone we want to liaise with and maybe get into the team. We can handle Sensations on my own."

Z was busy with his lead too.

... Korto began to worry about separating the team, but it was what it was.

Five killed.

They'd get pulled off the case if this got much worse.

TAG: @galactic-vagabond422, @greyjedi125, @T4M1-7, @The Jedi in the Pumas

7. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Open sez me?

With her face obscured by her hood, Zardonyx took a moment to alter and darken the pigmentation of her skin, making it harder to see her visage. She also altered the cornea of her eyes to almost black. Her voice became more synthesized, though deeper and indistinct, making it very difficult to assign any gender-but more likely to mistake her as male.

She walked around for a moment and pretended to look at various items, furtively glancing to see where the security cameras were situated, if there were any at all. The jangling bells upon entry reminded her of something from her past. That had been both curious and interesting, but not significant at the moment.

Out of the corner of her eyes, she saw the stack of spray cans, but ignored them, choosing instead to grab a bottle of water. She moved languidly, as she approached the blaster resistant box where the attendant worked, all the while listening to the match he’d been watching.

She found it interesting that he turned-off the holo, yet more curious that he appeared startled. Did he not hear the bells a moment earlier? Zardonyx placed the water bottle on the counter, to indicate her intention to purchase. She let the music she’d been listening to play on.

“Higgle versus Kimbo?” She remarked with a measure of familiarity. “Still going at it, eh?” her synth-voice emitted a static filled chuckle. “I used to watch, back when Black Adam was Champion.”

She stuck out her chin, indicating the water.

“You got any of that Bright Saffron Orange spray? I might need a can or two.”

Zee gave an audible sigh or irritation, shaking her head slightly.

“Was told my old rival was just around these parts rubbing out my tags, what a cheeta.”

A dry laugh.

“I need to pay him back, ya know.” she stated, folding her arms over her chest and tapping her fingers as if in thought. The Weequay was young, so there was a chance her ploy could work.

“He normally uses blue to upset my orange. Some pateesa!”

Zee chuckled and leaned in a bit, to affect confidentiality.

“Listen, did he buy any blue spray from you? I’d appreciate a description. Better yet….”

Out of her pocket, Zee produced a credit chip of high value and placed it next to the water bottle.

“If ya could show him on the cam, that would be inkabunga.”

The attendant would not likely be able to see it too well, but could probably tell, that his customer might be smiling expectantly at him.

Tag: @galactic-vagabond422 ( @T4M1-7, @Sinrebirth, @The Jedi in the Pumas )

8. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Crime Scene
    Below the Neon Line

Nat was quiet letting the team make their decision. Splitting up would be a better use of their time. To facilitate that Yuron's datapad pinged the current location and patrol of Ren coming through. Korto got directions to Sensations with the message of

Just in case

It wasn't that far, walking distance and one would want to walk, it was nestled in a warren of pathways and wires the squad car would be a hindrance than an aid down there. And showing up in a clearly unmarked CSF speeder might make people clam up.

TAG: @Sinrebirth @The Jedi in the Pumas

OAT
    Bribery??

The young man looked up "Oh yeah, that run-in Kimbo did needed to be answered." He smiled a little, "I watched him when I was a kid." Those times didn't look too far behind him but it had been a good decade since Black Adam graced the ring, though with wrestlers you never said never. However, given the fact that Wayson D'John was working on 4 or 5 holovids every year it wasn't likely.

There was a bit of a sparkle in his eyes as Zee described her plight, a tagger war. He frowned a little. "I mean I wish I could help…I really do…" His eyes were locked onto the credit chit. "But, I…I don't really remember anyone buying blue spray paint." He leaned in looking over his shoulder. "But…um…If I let you look through the footage…do I…" He looked at the credit then back to her.

Greeda
    Grand Nubian

The bartender's face soured a bit, it was a lot to take in. A lot to process. Stepping away Anya was left alone to think and nurse her drink. A large group of revelers in fancy suits and pretty dresses came barging in taking most of the bartender's attention. They looked like they'd already started the party before arriving here. A few men in the group looked Anya's way but were more interested in getting their next drinks for the moment.

After the rush Greeda set a napkin next to Anya's glass.

"I hope this helps." Was all she said before stepping away to get more drinks ready.

On the napkin a room number. One step closer.

I_am_Kooky, T4M1-7 and greyjedi125 like this.
  9. T4M1-7

Jan 30, 2022
    Sabacc!

[​IMG]

Anya sensed the conflict in the heart of the reptilian. She wanted to offer some words to help persuade; promise to make sure nothing would get back to the bartender, no trouble. But a little instinct told her to just let it be for now. Let Greeda make her own decision.

She sipped her drink as the bar filled with noisy revellers. Anya remained on the sideline, avoiding attention. She was good at that.

When the Rodian returned and left a napkin on the bar next to her glass, Anya had to control herself not to snatch it immediately. Her heart beat quickly.

She carefully checked around the bar, making sure no-one was watching. Then she took a long sip again. As she replaced the glass, she took up the napkin and dabbed the corner of her mouth. She saw the scribbled number from the corner of her eye.

Her heart seemed to skip a beat. Just three floors down. That must be the executive suites. She cradled the napkin like a winning Sabacc hand for several long moments, memorising the number. Then she tore it up and left the pieces on the bar next to her glass.

She slipped from the high stool, nodding silently once to Greeda. She did not want to make a big show of gratitude or friendship. But the look she sent to the Rodian acknowledged that a great show of trust had been given, and was deeply appreciated.

Anya strode through the bar, high stiletto heels clicking on the marble tiles. She barely paused to thank the bowing maître d as she exited.

Along the corridor, she travelled almost in a daze. Now what do I do? She had a room number, but had not planned beyond this moment. Did she go to the Seccers? That unusual squad that was working in the alley? That one had tried to engage her - as if they knew something. Anya shook her head. She had no proof of anything yet - just the word on the streets. And Seccers did not take the word of a lowlev girl seriously without evidence. She knew that for a fact.

Plus, there was the other complication...

So what could she do? Ask Ozzo for help? The Mirialan dancer snorted at that idea, dismissing it immediately.

I took this on alone, I stay at it alone, at least until I get something solid. For Jina.

At the turbolifts, she found the emergency stairwell and pushed open the door. No-one used stairs this high up and it had that unused, dusty smell, except covered by expensive air-conditioning. The Grand Nubian even made sure its guests were comfortable in an emergency escape situation.

Anya crept down the stairs, wincing as her heels clicked on each step, until she found the right door. She pushed it open and looked into the plush corridor. The doors were wide apart here - because the suites are so large.

Again, she hesitated. What do I do? I don't even have a weapon! Do I just sit here and wait? For what?

She spotted a service door nearby and an idea came to her. The cleaners needed keycards to get into every room to do their jobs. She looked up and down the corridor. Deserted. She slipped into the cleaners' room and found the expected equipment hovertrolleys, laundry chutes, and lockers. It did not take long to get a locker open. Anya had skills.

She swiped the allpass keycard and crept back out to the corridor.

The lithe Mirialan prowled along the corridor. She knew which room it was even before she started reading numbers. That instinct, the feeling, from before, when she had lain in that soaking puddle where Jina had died and sensed what kind of man he was...

The door was ahead, on the left. It stood like a monolith, brooding, beckoning her silently. She closed to within three steps.

Her heart pounded so loudly she wondered that it did not disturb the whole floor.

Two steps.

If he came out now, what do I do? Run, attack him? Smile and pass on by?

One step.

She held her breath.

Anya reached the door and raised a hand, then hesitated. The various options played themselves out in her mind: If he answers, just apologise for disturbing and leave. If there is no answer, go in. If he actually opens the door... she did not want to think about that.

She pressed the caller button and leaned toward the com speaker. "Room service..."

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  10. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Invisible currency

Zee allowed the moment between her and the Teen Weequay to extend, her hand still holding the credit chit he clearly desired.

“I liked him back then. When Black Adam seemed ‘ruthless’.” The synth-voice intoned casually. “Now we know he’s got a good heart.”

The kid hadn’t seen anyone purchase blue spray paint- or so he claimed. Did she believe him? Irrelevant. He compensated for his personal ignorance with what passed for a better option- assuming the security cameras had been on, or the data not erased- though that too would be telling. Zee leaned in slowly, after eyeing the door behind the counter.

Did she trust him?

Irrelevant.

The true value and reward for his assistance would be determined by her find and their end result.

“I like this place….” She stated simply, neutrally - still playing the part. Her hand then released the credit chit. Zee was committed to this moment and would see it through.

“Just make sure I’m not disturbed. Don’t worry. I won’t take long.” She assured in her synth-voice, her hand now disappearing inside a coat pocket. Zee would straighten then. “Don’t forget to add the water and a can of Bright Saffron Orange to my tab.”

She chuckled softly, as if amused.

Zee paused, fixing her long coat as she waited to be let in to where the security cam control was located. Discretely, she’d sent a message to Nat with an update. She would connect her to the cctv, if that was at all possible. Doing so would make the search for anyone buying blue paint during the suspected time period a whole lot faster. Not only that, it would make ‘erasing’ or ‘modifying’ her own presence quite convenient as well.

Zee was willing to take a few risks, in the hopes of saving many lives.

The Hourglass Killer.

He had to be stopped.

Tag: @galactic-vagabond422, @T4M1-7, @Sinrebirth, @The Jedi in the Pumas

11. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    A science, the Force is not

Their eyes roved over to Nat, and then moved back to the others. They had to get going, clearly, as Yuron's 'pad pinged, and revealed the location.

Sensations... the name alone promised much.

Just in case.

Oh definitely.

With a slight nod of their head, Korto put hands into pockets and made to fade into the pedestrian traffic on their way.

A slight plan formed in Korto's mind; arriving without being noticed, and using the CSF to see who ran, and where...

But they'd see what Sensations had to offer.

Opting to move off on their own to start, undoubtedly the rest of the gang would either catch-up or do their own thing.

For some reason, Korto intuited that the less they knew about their comrades, the better.

TAG: @galactic-vagabond422, @The Jedi in the Pumas

12. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    Yuron Waviide
    -Making his way up

No address. A new victim. Sensations.

Yuron kept his figure small and low-key, as he made his way into a nearby building. He'd shadowed Korto as they made their way to Sensations, deciding that getting higher ground and better eyes would be more valuable than drawing attention as two out of seccers wandering around asking questions.

He perched himself at the window in a hallway about 8 stories up, with Sensations and much of the street in view.

They were missing something in the killer's hunting patterns. How he was picking his victims. Yuron surveyed the streets, quietly. He pinged Nat and Korto his location.

What was it? What was it about these people, Yuron thought, that made them standout? A dancer. Girls working at a club. Connections to the club, sure, but that seemed surface level. The women were ready-made prey to a being of violence.

He continued to peer down upon the streets. Hoping something would stand out to him as he waited for an update from Korto.

Tag: @galactic-vagabond422 @Sinrebirth

13. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    OAT
    Open Sesame

The kid behind the counter looked a little worried as Zee mentioned Adam's Ruthless Aggression. He wasn't sure if there as a threat behind the words or not, but he wasn't going to risk it. Then the credit chip dropped into the well where the goods changed hands. Quickly he snatched up the bit of metal that meant so much to so many. A buzz resounded in the small space as he exited his box. In the corner the young man opened the 'Authorized Personnel Only' door that was marked with graffiti.

"Right over there…" He held up the credit chit. "Take all the time you need…" The door closed and Zee was left alone in a dark room, with a single light hanging from the ceiling. In the corner was a terminal that showed the feed from the single camera that covered most of the space. Taking a seat in the chair that creaked and groaned under the detective's weight. Nat was present walking Zee through a few steps to connect the terminal to the holo net.

"And…here…we…go…" Nat said finally getting into the system. Zee could see things happening around the screen as the support officer dug into the files. Digging deep Nat pulled up the day Jaina died. The footage was grainy and of low quality but, one could make out the general description of a being.

Nat quickly fast forward through most of the footage moving past the raving old man that smacked his cane against the box, the mother with three kids buying milk and premade meals at midnight, the Weequay woman that came in and batted her eyes at the young man running the counter, she eventually stopped at about the time Jaina was killed. Doing some mental calculations Zee could see the time stamp the poor victim's life left them. It wasn't too much after that time a being came walking in, calm and causal. Dressed in a baggy shirt with a hood that was pulled up. He, one could guess from the stature and outline, walked around running his hands over the shelves. Not that he was really looking at the items. His eyes passed over them, never holding on anything, except for a few glances towards the counter.

"Come on…come on," Nat said as the being grabbed a spay can from the rack, black not blue but, that didn't mean this wasn't their guy. The Hourglass was painted in black. The being came up to the counter and paid. "That's our guy." Nat replied pausing the feed. She attempted to zoom in but the poor footage just degraded. "Just by sight I'd say male, bipedal, average size for human or most near humans. With that hood I can't get his face…and before you ask no I can't get any reflections, this sensor is pretty crap. This is the best I can do."

It was something, not an airtight case, but a start.

Sensations
    Making entry

The front of the 'club' was dark and grimy other than the bright pink neon sign that proudly, if inconsistently displayed the name of the establishment. Korto walked past the burly bouncer a Besalisk that looked down to the 'undercover' officer. Two arms were crossed and the other pair hovered close to the shock baton on his hip. The being looked ready to bar the way and hand out a beating at a moment's notice, a dragon at the gate. Inside the lights were low, small strips of illumination ran along the floor giving just enough light to not trip but not enough to see what went on in the dark corners.

On the stage a beautiful Pantoran woman, bathed in the bright lights, moved in time with the pounding music. While most of the attention was on the girl or on the bar, one couldn't help the feeling that there were many things happening in the dark.

While the owner wasn't immediately present if you waited a bit, maybe they would show up. In the meantime there wasn't much more to do than get a drink, watch the show, and keep an eye out for trouble…or make the trouble.

@Sinrebirth

Building 1511/AA45
    Above It All

Yuron watched Korto enter the club, his head still turning over the hunting patterns of this monster. They still didn't have the case file on the Killer yet and that would frustrate things. It was impossible to establish a pattern when you couldn't see the data points.

Watching from high up the detective could see people coming and going no one looking any more special or out of place. The big body at the door seemed to keep most of the trouble away, so there wasn't much chance of violence. Sadly this protection didn't extend to the crime scene. Sensations was even deeper down even more forgotten from the surface.

The beings that walked around were all shapes and sizes some wearing dark colors others in bright almost phosphorus clothes that glowed in the dim light shed on the lower levels.

Anyone of them could be the next victim, or could be the killer. That's what made these cases a nightmare, it was hard to eliminate suspects, hard to find a motive, or connection between victims.

For now nothing seemed out of place but that could change in a moment.

TAG: @The Jedi in the Pumas

Grand Nubian
    Making entry.

There was no answer to her call, no rustling, no movement. The room was empty, she could…feel it. A perfect time to look for clues, though there was no telling when the man would be back. She would have to be quick, or think up a good lie as to why she was in his room, particularly with a 'Do Not Disturb' message rolling across the face of the door.

Using the housekeeping card the door opened. Pressing inside she was stunned by the opulence. A hanging chandelier made of crystals scattered the light around the space. Soft carpet covered the floor and small table with a fine tablecloth and two chairs sat at the far end of the room. There seemed to be only one place setting, one chair pushed out.

A quick look through the fridge showed that much of the alcohol was drained and hadn't been replaced. Pressing further on Anya found the bed room, a well appointed space with a large soft looking bed looking very inviting. Only one side was disturbed. Looked like only one person had been in here.

There was a nightstand next to the bed could be something in there. In the closet were a few suits and shoes to go with them, and also a safe…though who would use a hotel safe.

There was no sound of anyone coming…not just yet. She had this moment to herself.

14. T4M1-7

Jan 30, 2022
    In the lair of the beast

[​IMG]

Anya slid the card through the reader and took her first step into the room. Her heart pounded. She knew the terrible risk she was now taking.

She knew she had to be quick, but at the same time recognised this was a rare opportunity and that she had this one chance to find something important. And I am not going to miss it!

She slid off her stilettos and padded across the thick, plush carpet, feeling its opulence between her toes. She glanced at the table, the settings of the room, and calculated. No sign of guests. He has eaten in here. Not at a restaurant? Drinks gone from the cooler. He likes to drink. He does not care how much it costs. Everyone knew it made sense to buy drinks in a store and bring them back, rather than drain the hotel's own stock. She added things up. He wants to avoid being seen out-and-about unnecessarily.

At that point, Anya screwed up her face. Makes sense, for a kriffing bastard killer.

Stay focused, she told herself.

She moved into the bedroom, a shiver slipping down her spine as she spotted the bed itself. He has slept here. She notes only one side is slept in. Does he bring them back here? Would Jina have been duped like that? Anya decides that no, she would not. They had both spent time coaching each other on requests from customers at Sensations they would never grant. And it looks like no-one else has been here. This, Anya hopes, is a good sign. It perhaps shows that one certain kind of motive is not involved in this killer's actions. But that opens up many more questions. Or perhaps he just takes them somewhere else, then comes home and washes it all off when he's done, then gets into this nice clean place to sleep? She decides she cannot think about that right now.

She forces herself to look at the bed again, more closely.

For a long moment, Anya remembers the moment when she had curled up and lay down in the space where Jina had fallen - marked by the seccers' holo-outline - and had sensed her final moments. If I lay in this bed now, exactly where he has slept, and closed my eyes, could I get an insight into him?

The notion is in equal parts appalling and tempting to her.

Anya pushes away the temptation. Other leads beckon, first. The safe in the closet? She snorts.

The nightstand?

The nightstand.

There were suits in the closet. Pockets to check. Sizes, cleaning tags, receipts, all sorts of clues waiting for her to discover. But the nightstand silently beckoned. Something is there, she decided.

Anya loped over to the nightstand and began her search...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  15. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    Yuron Waviide
    -Building 1511

He continued to peer out the window. There were grunts and footsteps as the residents of the apartment building went about their nightly activities. He shifted his lean against the wall slightly to make himself appear more nonchalant. He would not remove his eyes from the window, but he did consider the fact that he was in unfamiliar territory.

To be hunted....

The thought had initially crept into his head back at the crime scene; the uninterruptible sense of a hunter tracking their prey. Would he have to adopt such a mentality for this killer? The hunter becoming the hunted?

Could he? It was a nice storyline to watch on the holovids: the badass detective shifting his focus and hunting down a criminal with reckless abandon. It was not, in Yuron's experience, that easy to flip the switch from investigator to hunter.

He'd better figure out how and soon. Otherwise, he would miss something.

Tag: @galactic-vagabond422

16. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Overwatch

The neon lights danced across the beings bathing them in garish pink and purple. Every lit walkway was like a light party down this deep. No sense of time so every hour was happy hour. Though in the middle of the revelry there was a being moving hurriedly, bumping into people giving no explanation as they brushed past. The hunter's instinct or was it detective's intuition told Waviide that there was something about this being. The way they moved against the crowd, moving away from the place everyone was heading towards. They weren't looking to get to the edge of the crowd just trying to cut through it.

Were they a hunter as well, a pickpocket plying their trade in a packed walkway? No they were moving much too quickly and their bumps didn't seem purposeful enough, their hands weren't moving into the other being's space more trying to avoid it. That just left fleeing, or trying to get somewhere, very similar wants with very similar actions. Though the way they were looking over their shoulder seemed to suggest them fleeing but from who, or what?

Questions that could be answered with an interview both formal or informal that was up to the detective. The being was walking past the building Waviide was watching from, could be easy enough to intercept. Maybe get something or he could remain seeing if anyone else followed behind.

TAG: @The Jedi in the Pumas

Nubian Grand

Opening the drawer of the nightstand there wasn't much, a pen, a book that looked like some religious text, and a Holo-zine. The flashy cover of what was called Nite-LIFE was covered in bright blues and whites that caught the eye. Under the superimposed text describing the best spots below the Neon Line, was a still image of dancers much like Anya, posed alluringly in front of a background that seemed to move with vague shapes of beings both mascline and feminine wandering back and forth. Anya knew these girls, they worked at a place called 'The Palace'. It was on the other side of the section from 'Sensations', and the girls from each club would meet up every now and again. It was a chance to blow off steam, to share stories, and warn each other about creeps.

Her eye was drawn to Vi, a pretty girl they all were but that wasn't the reason Anya picked her out. It was the handwritten 'X' that covered her face. Vi was also a Twi'lek. Opening the zine a quick peruse found more 'X' scrawled over women's faces, but only the twi'leks. That was until she found Jina. Her face was full of life as she looked to be dancing at 'Sensations'. Anya remembered this day, Ozzo made sure the floor was steam cleaned that day, and demanded that the girls go 'above and beyond' for the reporters that were coming. Jina's face circled with the same pen that marred the faces of the others. What did it mean? Why was Jina circled? Diving deeper there were other faces that were circled.

She didn't recognize most of them until she saw Cara, a dancer at Tumleh. Another twi'lek circled in black ink. Though Cara was alive, at least she was a few days ago.

Before Anya could look any deeper she heard voices coming to the door. A feeling deep in her soul told her that whoever it was, was coming to this room. There were moments to come up with a plan, hide, make up a story, fight?

Fleeing wasn't an option, well not an option for a normal being, leaping out high windows was not something normal people did.

The time to act was now…what would she do?

I_am_Kooky and greyjedi125 like this.
  17. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Jigzaw

Zee regarded the image Nat had paused and committed it to memory. She extrapolated height, build, weight….gender, as corroborated by Nat. Zee doubted any finger prints could be lifted this late in the investigation, but would put forth the idea as a suggestion to be considered. The fact that they had a ‘probable suspect’, was at least a lead they could follow.

It was quite curious: He looked like a local, perhaps n an effort to blend in? His garments did not seem to indicate any local affiliations. It was unfortunate that they only had this general description. Too many sentients could fit the bill, but they had to start somewhere, though doing so might risk prompting the guilty party to ‘disappear’. That might not be the ideal way to save lives, but it was better than not.

“I’m headed bak to you.” Zee managed to say before their connection was terminated. With a flick, she returned the system to ‘real time’ viewing. Slowly, she rose from the seat she’d been on, while regarding the monitor. Her head had remained hooded all along. Zee needed to be sure that the coast was clear and nothing ‘untoward’ was waiting for her as she left the security closet.

The camera covered most of the shop, but not all. It would be enough. Zee looked for the young Weequay in order to locate him. She would also time her exit at an opportune moment, when there were no other patrons in the shop.

As she moved towards the door, an after ‘thought’ entered her mind. The Weequay woman. Would it be worth interviewing her? Perhaps she’d seen or heard something on her way to the store, perhaps not. For this case, Zee did not wish to leave any stone unturned. Needless to say, the incident with Mercador was still marked as ‘pending’ in her 'mental' files, having had no real resolution.

Silently, Zee hoped both Korto and Yuron had had better luck with their end of this investigation.

It was up to them to prevent the next Hourglass victim.

Tag: @galactic-vagabond422, @Sinrebirth, @The Jedi in the Pumas

18. T4M1-7

Jan 30, 2022
    The Clue, the Evidence, the Break?

[​IMG]

Anya stared at the holozine in her hands. The crossed out faces. She exhaled.

This is it. His kriffin' hit list! This will break the case!

Anya's mind raced. What should she do with it? Surely this would be worth something to the 'seccers? Here were all the victims... Anya's heart jolted at the sight of Jina again. She remembered that day. Ozzo had got really mad and punished her. Each time the zine journalist had pointed a camera at Anya, she had looked away or pulled a face or ruined the shot in some other way. She did not want pictures of herself in holozines.

The fate of her best friend was a really strong reminder of why.

Anya stood up from where she had kind of collapsed sitting onto the bed, the momentous discovery clutched in her hands. Yes. Take it to the seccers, and give them the room number. It was enough for probable cause and an arrest, surely? They can do a DNA check or whatever and match the bastard to the victims.

But if he sees it is gone, might he run? Would they ever catch him?

She realised she would have to be quick. She could save Cara! Anya knew the other Twi'lek in passing, had even worked a few nights beside her at Tumleh's. The dark-red Lethan had an attitude problem, but that sort of came with the job normally. And Tumleh's could get rowdy.

I can save her life.

The knowledge crystalized in her mind, and became a promise. This is what I can do for Jina's memory.

Suddenly, Anya became aware of voices outside the room door and cursed. They are coming in here! She panicked, looking down at the zine in her hands. Should she take it? Her little black dress was too tight and too short to hide much... but if she slid it under and flat against the base of her back? But then he would know it is gone.

I can just go to the 'seccers and tell them what I found!

Would they believe her? Anya bit her lip. Some lowlev dancing girl with a vendetta against a rich ex-boyfriend... That's what they will think of me.

But maybe not that special squad in the alley. She remembered the one that had called out to her. Maybe they would believe her? The voices became louder. If he was amongst them, and found her in his room, the first thing he would do is check this drawer. Then...

She did not want to think about what he would do to her.

Anya's panic gripped her. She had to do something! Run, jump, hide?

Hide.

She slipped the zine back into the drawer then darted for the wardrobe. She pushed herself deep into the corner of the closet and half closed the door. She tried to control her hyperventilation, to breathe slowly and quietly. She heard the door to the suite unlock.

Just wait, as long as it takes, pray he does not change clothes, then get out when you get the chance.

It seemed like a plan and she relaxed a fraction. Her toes curled and she noted that the luxurious carpet was even in the floor of the wardrobe.

Anya's heart froze in her chest. Horror seized her like a black claw.

My shoes!

She had taken them off and left them right inside the main entrance to the suite. He could not fail to notice them. A new level of panic gripped Anya and she began trembling.

Hiding is useless. No, worse than useless!

She had to do something else. Fighting hard against the fear that gripped her limbs, she pushed out of the wardrobe and dashed into the corridor that led to the door. Her mind worked furiously. What could she possibly say?

Why the kriff did I not get a cleaner's uniform!?

Too late. Some other explanation. Her brain frantically sorted through possibilities, and discarded each one as stupid and likely to get her killed.

She looked down at herself, even as the door opened and the figure came into view. A final thought came to her.

Do what you know how to do.

She unzipped her dress and let it slip to the carpet. In her underwear, she spread her arms and smiled.

"Surprise! I'm here for the bachelor party!"

She waited two beats.

"Wait, this is level 392, right?"

Not trusting her own face to not betray her, she looked down and dropped to her knees, to redress.

"Dammit, I'm sorry, the guys that hired me must have given me the wrong number. I'm just a dancer..."

@greyjedi125 @galactic-vagabond422, @Sinrebirth, @The Jedi in the Pumas

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    When is a club not a club

When it's being held by a Besalisk.

An old joke, and not one Korto found particularly amusing, because being proverbially clubbed by a Besalisk was painful. They had four arms, after all, and what was a thin Besalisk was a swarthy and muscular human. It would hurt.

A perfect bouncer.

Korto didn't give eye-contact, merely allowing their eyes to be taken by the Pantoran on-stage, as it should be. Their peripheral vision took in shapes in the shadows, but Korto couldn't pierce those without looking as if they were looking. Korto absently wondered as to where the light controls were and what illuminating the situation would reveal.

Heading to the bar and ordering something suitably vanilla - Korto wanted a clear head - they turned around to lean on the bar as the order was put together, giving them the opportunity to absently scan the entire place while they turned their back back towards the Pantoran on stage. Squinting, Korto thought they could see the switches for the lights, and wondered, with some confusion, whether a sneak into the back was possible.

If the murderer had come here - or even the victim - Korto would want to download the security footage, and Korto doubted they'd be given them freely.

Reaching out with the Force, Korto sought the controls, likely mounted upon a wall, to flick up, accepting his drink from the bartender and looking to work out whether the container was plastic or glass, because a glass was a better weapon in a fight if there was one...

TAG: @galactic-vagabond422

20. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Zardonyx
    First Piece Acquired

There should have been a sense of accomplishment, of achievement, they had a clue, a lead. Between the paint chip and the security footage they had more than the 'Special Crimes Unit' had found in months of chasing this monster. The store clerk didn't notice her leaving too engrossed in the wrestling match on screen. From what Zee could see a towering trandoshan was facing a much smaller human.

"Viera looks in trouble…" The announcer said as the human woman wearing black and pink tights was stalked into the corner by the more physically imposing reptilian. "Krshek makes her move." As the snarling trandoshan lunged forward Viera took hold of the top rope swinging herself through the gap between the ropes. A slick well practiced maneuver. Would it be the same for this killer? The seccers had them on the run would they slip through their fingers like they'd done for so long now?

Zee had some time to question this as she made her way back to the squad car. Yuron and Korto hadn't come back yet. It wasn't time to worry about them just yet.

As she waited a ping came in from Nat, Mercador's Case was being handed over to 'Special Crimes'. He was a simple deserter, he should have been handed over to Naval Investigations to be court martialed. He was active duty military and the charges came from Naval Command on Coruscant. Everything pointed towards military justice. Yet he was still being held by civilian police. Curious, was their pilot friend up to something while he was AWOL?

Anya
    Face to face

The door opened to reveal a human man, red hair and green eyes, average build, dressed to impress. It wasn't anything gaudy but the silk shirt, tailored pants, and tasteful gold necklace around his neck spoke to his means. His arm was wrapped around the shoulders of a blueskinned twi'lek, both were smiling, and swaying, clearly intoxicated. His gaze swept up and down the exposed form of the dancer, his smile growing deeper. It was at once cute, with the wrinkles around his eyes deepening, the sparkle of his teeth in the dim light and at the same time worrying. The way his eyes seemed to rove over her body would make anyone uneasy and given what Anya knew would make that feeling worse.

He shook his head to the first question. A slight chuckle left him as the uninvited guest explained the situation.

"Well, I suppose I should thank them for their mistake. And bringing such a beautiful woman to my attention." He held out his hand, offering it to Anya, his other remained caressing the shoulder of his date. "I'll say I'm surprised but, I'm not complaining." He hand hung there waiting for her to take it.

Was he being helpful or…trying to get a hold of her?

"I was planning to have a quiet night with my girl here…" His hand that was on her shoulder slid lower eliciting a genuine giggle from the twi'lek. "But I'm sure she wouldn't mind a guest, would you babe…" he turned to face the woman pressed to his chest.

"No I wouldn't mind…" She captured his lips in a passionate kiss. "Just so long as I get what I want…" Her finger hooked into the gold chain around his neck playing with it before pulling him in for another kiss.

"Of course…" The man said breaking the kiss, his attention falling on Anya. "So what do you say…you want to stay and have some fun…well more fun than a room of drunk men pawing at you?"

Korto
    Let there be Light

No one paid them any mind, engrossed in the 'entertainment' to really care about one random patron taking in the show and sitting at the bar. Korto could feel the movement in the shadows, low voices and whispers, though a few giggles slipped from the darkened corners. The Force traveled from them to the threads tightening around the lever that looked like it controlled the house lights. With a subtle tug the lights snapped out with a loud clack. Shouts of pain, and surprise echoed in the space. The bartender turned their back to check the controls, and everyone else seemed to be squinting against the harsh light of day.

As Korto made their move in the darkened corners just for a moment he saw two beings with tattoos of the black sun on their flesh, a box of spice and a box of credits on the table between them. In another the police officer noticed a Senator Shiota of Iktotch, a young woman on his lap that was not his wife. And he'd spent the whole month railing against a childcare bill because it would make it easier for mothers to work outside the home, and lead to the downfall of the family…hypocrisy and politics, go hand in hand don't they.

Korto was able to slip past the crowd and into the back, these weren't all private rooms for personal entertainment, one of them was clearly marked manager…that would be a good place to start at least. With everyone dealing with the commotion outside he had his opening.

TAG: @Sinrebirth

21. T4M1-7

Jan 30, 2022
    Face to face…

[​IMG]

Anya froze in the action of redressing. It’s him. And he’s got another victim!

Her mind worked at hyperspeed.

What to do? What to do? He is going to kill her. He is going to kill her.

He is going to kill me!

Make an excuse, leave now… And what? Go to the seccers?

Anya realised she held the life of the Twi’lek in her hands. If she was quick enough, if she got to the seccers, could they get back here in time? The image of Jina’s dead outline in the alley, in the rain, swam up to the front of her mind. She pushed it back. Think straight!

She did not have evidence. Why would they believe her? Anya imagined the interview.

"So, you blagged your way into a corporate event, charmed some free drinks, then broke into a guest’s room?"

If it was a droid that would be even worse. She remembered the patrol bot from the alley. They were just programmed. They could not be reasoned with.

That strange investigator squad?

She had no idea who they were or how to find them. She could never do it in time. As she spent microseconds considering and dismissing possibilities, Anya felt like she could see the phantom dead body of this blueskin coming closer, and closer, to reality.

Just running was not an option. That would make her… What? An accomplice or something? She did not know what word the seccers would use, but in her own heart she knew it: Leaving now would be a death sentence for Babe. She owed it to Jina to not do that.

So, stay.

Then what?

Anya thought about it.

Stick around, try to get Babe alone, talk to her, let her know what danger she’s in.

Jina had taught Anya the Lekku headtail movement for “danger” – a code between girlfriends looking out for each other.

Could I try and replicate it with a lock of my own hair? Could I try holding her Lekku and copying the motion? Would she understand? Would she care, or would she just think I’m trying to move in on her boyfriend?

The man’s fragrance washed over Anya and she resisted recoiling. It was expensive and strong. Despite the entire thought process taking less than nanoseconds, Anya knew she had to act instantly or give away that something was wrong – and possibly provoke the killer.

At times of extreme duress, her grandfather had taught her to seek the calm. Reach for the deep lake. It was a mental exercise. She visualised it now, unable to conceptualise its great depths, but able to tap its strength and serenity.

Though imminent danger stared her in the face, though she knew one single false move could get her killed, Anya found calm.

This is the situation. You know what to do. Be patient. Find the right moment. Haste will be deadly.

For now, play along…

She smiled back at the pair, dramatically dropping her dress.

“Sure. Let’s party...”

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Let there be Light

Korto wasn't all this used to so many... inputs.

The crowd was stimulated, engrossed, passionate, enflamed... ornery, really.

They weren't a fan, and it was distracting, but even as they made their move, the Black Sun tats caught their eye... and the Senator.

Sith me, this place is dangerous and vile.

It didn't stop them from moving forward. Criminals and politicians... they both needed one thing.

Light.

The commotion gave them a window.

They slipped towards the managers room, but were sure to do one thing to add to the drama.

Korto concentrated as best as he could and yanked the box of credits onto the Senator's head.

TAG: @galactic-vagabond422

23. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Anya
    In danger

The man smile moving close to Anya running his hand down her bare arm. There was a dangerous glint in his green eyes. Was it a lethal end to the night or a dangerous good time? With no prompting he leaned in, ignoring any cues to stop he pressed his lips against hers. The kiss was long or short, it was all about whether or not she found that dangerous glint alluring or terrifying. Though given his possible crimes likely made it more chilling than anything else.

He moved away just a little just enough to break the lip lock, his eyes latching onto hers. That smile returning to his face.

"Oh I think we can have a lot of fun." He turned away, moving towards the bar. "What's your poison?" While the man was turned around his companion replaced him wrapping her arm around Anya her warmth slightly hotter from the alcohol in her system.

"What's your name…" she asked, hands running over Anya's bare skin.

"I'm sorry ladies…" The man said, turning around, "Seems we're out of libations. I'll need to make a supply run…" He moved back to the pair, giving the twi'lek a deep drunken kiss. "Keep our guest entertained."

"Oh I will." With a wink and a smile, the suspect left.

Anya was alone with the possible next victim. A chance to escape, or to talk without being overheard. What would they say.

Could Anya convince the other woman to get out, to get across the danger they were in.

Korto
    Making Waves

While the patron's eyes adjusted to the lights, the clatter of credits on floor drew their attention. The pair of Black Sun thugs got up quickly moving with purpose towards the senator. Before they could lay hands on the planetary representative, a crowd of beings descended on the scene picking up the free money that was just delivered to them by the hand of a supreme being. Or Korto's force throwing of a case of credits.

With the distraction outside, the Security Officer now had all the time they needed to get the recordings they wanted. Now would they quickly download the files onto their datapad and make their exit or, give their support officer access to the system and have Nat trawl through the recordings.

Having Nat take a look could give them something actionable right then but, would increase the chances of getting caught. Just downloading the information would be faster but, it would have to be gone through at the station to get anything out of it.

The choice was theirs.

TAG: @Sinrebirth

24. T4M1-7

Jan 30, 2022
    The Grand Nubian... A chance...

[​IMG]

Anya froze rigid as the man approached her. He ran his hand down her arm. The sensation of his flesh on hers plunged cold daggers of terror into her back. She controlled herself, fixing a smile on her face. Sometimes at Ozzo's they liked to touch. Anya had practice at this.

But this was like nothing she had endured before. She knew he could kill her. She knew he would kill her, if she gave anything away. One false move. She kept seeing Jina's holo-outline in the alley, in the hot, black rain.

Then, he surprised her, coming in for a full kiss on the lips. Anya summoned all her courage and control. She could not have fled if she wanted to at that moment, her legs did not seem to work. But she kept still as a statue, petrified, and her body did not reflect the disgusted recoil that she felt in her soul.

It was quite an accomplishment, to defeat so strong a physical reflex.

She knew he must have noticed. She could not act so well as to lean in and return the gesture. What would he think? He did not seem to react. A tiny suspicion bloomed in Anya's mind. He knows I'm scared. It is about projecting power. It excites him.

He broke off the kiss and Anya sagged, tense and nervous from the experience, as if she had just run a long distance. She did not fall, though.

He headed for the drinks cabinet and Anya remembered it was virtually empty from her earlier inspection. Sure enough, he soon turned and announced that he was going out for more.

Anya's eyes widened. Could it be? This was a better chance than she could have hoped for, and much quicker than expected. She tried to project calmness, though her heart thundered in her chest with a fresh dose of adrenalin.

She flashed a look at the Twi'lek. Don't go with him, don't go with him, don't go with him... she chanted in her head, as if trying to evoke some ancient magic charm.

It was not needed. He even asked the Twi'lek to "Keep our guest entertained." Anya almost burst out with a nervous hysterical laugh at this. The Twi'lek came and circled an arm around Anya's naked hips, nodding back at the man.

He winked, smiled, and left.

Anya waited several beats, then gently untangled herself from the Twi'lek's embrace. She glanced at the door.

Does he know? Why would he give me this chance, if so? Is he playing with me? Is this some sort of trap?

It did not matter. She had to seize the moment. Anya waited several beats more, in case he came back for a forgotten credit chip or some other excuse.

She watched the door. Nothing. She turned back to the Twi'lek, took her hands in her own, and began.

"Look, my name is Anya, and we have to get out of here. You... We... We're in terrible danger," she spoke quickly but clearly. She had one shot at this and had to make the information clear. "This guy is a serial killer. He killed my best friend, Jina. She looks like you. She's a Twi'lek, too. The Seccers are looking for him... I traced him here. We don't have much time. He is going to kill you next!"

Anya paused. She saw the conflicting emotions in the eyes of the other. It was quite a story, she had to admit. How can I convince her?

The answer came immediately. The magazine, with the photos!

"I can show you something... in his drawer... there are pictures, like a hit list."

Anya suddenly stopped. Oh my... Did I see this one amongst the pictures? Anya was not sure that she did. But that maybe was because she had focused on one she did know.

"Come on, I'll show you... hurry! I'm trying to save your life!" she began to drag the Twi'lek gently toward the bedroom...

25. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Jumble

For the moment, she sat alone inside the squad car, motionless and in silence. Ruminating. At least, that's what she liked to call it. What were they missing in their investigation? Thus far, they didn’t seem to have enough pieces, much less any that connected. Zee considered running a ‘frustration sim’, as she noticed how such a ‘state’ often had the effect of ‘inspiring’ sentients when they encountered a hindrance- but in her case, it was doubtful it would have the same desired effect.

The act of 'smoking' seemed more like useless theatre, as it granted no measurable benefits.

Hmm.

Outside the squad car, all seemed normal. Business as usual, to the casual observer- that is.

The clues they had collected thus far- how truly significant were they? At that precise moment, it was impossible to tell. Especially without input from her partners and whatever they may have encountered. Without more pieces, she couldn't quite see what exactly they were 'supposed' to be seeing.

Zee was just about to give the deceased dancer’s file another look, when a ping from Nat caught her attention.

Mercador.

There he was again. His name kept cropping up. Probability alone discounted it as a mere coincidence. There was definitely a connection there, one that needed to be uncovered. A not so hidden clue, but merely harder to access.

‘Special Crimes?’

Zee didn’t like were that was leading her in her thinking. Did ‘they’ plan to somehow ‘pin’ the Hour Glass murders on Mercador? That probability had not arisen until now.

“Nat? Could you please give me the latest update on our investigation? Include any development our boys may have reported. They’ve been a bit too quiet, don't you think?”

Now that she thought about it, Nat was the one that ‘chatted’ the most amongst them- mainly to give them updates and reports. Investigators weren’t the most social creatures, some would say, by default.

“Also, what loose ends can we pull on the Mercador case? Was he a loner? Did he have any ‘friends’?”

As she spoke these words to Nat, Zee was inwardly running through her own customization files. Perhaps it was time she adopted a new guise for the next phase of their investigation. Nat was the only one she allowed viewing access to her selections, as she did have a ‘need to know’ basis.

Zee felt she needed to start making some decisive moves on her own, but more importantly, moves with desirable consequences and results.

Tag: @galactic-vagabond422