main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [House M. D.] Gregory House: The Early Years- Drama/Angst/Humor

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by LilyHobbitJedi, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Title: Gregory House: The Early Years
    Author: LilyHobbitJedi
    Characters: House, John and Blythe House, Wilson, Cuddy, Stacy
    Genre: Drama, Angst, Humor
    Summary: Ever wonder about House's early life that has been shrouded in such mystery? Well this story covers it all ranging from his birth, to his college days, and the infamous infarction. It also will cover House's relationship with his parents.
    AN: And here is the next chapter. This time House is a nine year old and living in Spain, I hope you enjoy it.
    Disclaimer: House is owned by David Shore, I?m just borrowing his characters for a little while.

PM List:
    Ceillean
    DarthBerryStraw
    Rosa-Belle
    KELIA
    mavjade
    Goddess-Jaina-Redick
    blubeast1237

If you would like to be removed/added to the list, please let me know.

Gregory House: The Early Years

Chapter 4: 1968

?¿Hola, como estás?

Blythe sighed. ?Greg, you know I hate it when you talk to me in Spanish,? she said.

Greg shrugged. ?Well when you know Portuguese, Spanish isn?t that difficult.?

?We only lived in Portugal for three months, and it?s a proven fact that kids always pick up languages much faster than their parents.?

Her son merely shrugged once more, there was obviously something on his mind. ?Mom, can I go to Pablo?s house for awhile?? Greg asked impatiently.

Blythe smiled. ?Of course, just be back in time for dinner.?

Greg quickly nodded and was out of the door within a few seconds, much to the amusement of his mother. Blythe was thrilled to see how Greg could make friends so easily despite the language and cultural barrier. Yet the thing that bothered her was that he could detach from them so easily. It was a good thing because he never complained about moving, but also never kept in contact with the friends he left behind.

Travelling was always exciting and Blythe loved visiting the new countries where they made their home, but at the same time she hated living so far from home. It seemed to her that she disliked it more than anyone for John was eager to work wherever the Marines sent him, and Greg adapted quickly when they moved once more. When they moved to a new country Blythe would be eager to learn about the local culture and see the sites, but all too soon homesickness would set in as she dealt with culture shock again.

Shopping for groceries was always an adventure in a new country, but Blythe always managed somehow. She liked to take Greg with her because he always understood them better than she, and John was hopeless when it came to languages. Spain was a beautiful country and yet she felt like she stuck out like a sore thumb. She sighed, at least she knew that they wouldn?t be here for too long.

~~~~

?You cheated Greg!? exclaimed a Spanish boy with a runny nose.

Greg turned and glared at his accuser and leaned against his lacrosse stick. ?You?re just saying that because you?re not fast enough to get the ball from me, not to mention a sore loser.?

?Don?t make fun of my brother!? another boy butted in, standing next to the first. ?You American idiot.?

Greg merely rolled his eyes. ?Is that the best you can come up with??

Suddenly Greg?s friend Pablo was at his side. ?Leave Greg out of this, and plus he was telling the truth.?

?Make me,? the other boy said.

Greg sighed, getting annoyed. ?Can we just keep playing??

?Not when we have to play with a cheater!? the first boy exclaimed.

?At least I?m not a poor sport, looser,? Greg commented and turned around and looked over at Pablo. ?Let?s do something else.?

Pablo began to nod, but suddenly his eyes went wide. ?Look out Greg!?

Greg turned and started to duck, but it wasn?t fast enough to avoid a fist that hit him square in the eye.

~~~~~

Blythe looked out the window nervously as the sun started to set. She was growing very worried about Greg. He was supposed to be back over an hour before. She tried to tell herself that she was overreacting, and that Greg probably just lost track of the time. But he was still a nine

2. Goddess-Jaina-Redick

Goddess-Jaina-Redick Jedi Knight star 4

May 5, 2005
    Wow. With a father like his, it's amazing he turned into a productive member of society, let alone an amazing doctor.

3. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?Can we just keep playing??

?Not when we have to play with a cheater!? the first boy exclaimed.

?At least I?m not a poor sport, looser.?

Greg, Greg, Greg - a little tact would have saved you from the black eye, worrying your mother and sleeping outside

[face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you]

I loved how easily he adapted to his new homes. Being an Air Force brat myself, I know how difficult that can be.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

4. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    You know, Blythe should kick John in the rearend. [face_plain]
    No wonder House has a social problem! It's all his Dad's fault.

Great update, Lily!
    Thanks for the PM.

5. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    I definitely see Greg picking up languages quickly! He has a strange, incredible mind. It's really too bad he doesn't have a kind, encouraging father. Still, he wouldn't be the House we all know and love if it wasn't for his past experiences.

Thanks for the PM! :D

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Awww... poor Greg! [:D]
    Most parents would at least try and find out what happened and if it was his fault before punishing (not that leaving your child outside is a good punishment) them, but oh no, not John House. :mad:

Although Blythe makes me almost as mad that she lets it happen. If someone was doing that to my child, they'd be dead!

Great update, Lily! I can't wait for more!!

7. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    Goddess-Jaina-Redick: Wow. With a father like his, it's amazing he turned into a productive member of society, let alone an amazing doctor.

You're absolutely right. :(

KELIA: Greg, Greg, Greg - a little tact would have saved you from the black eye, worrying your mother and sleeping outside

That's for sure.

I loved how easily he adapted to his new homes. Being an Air Force brat myself, I know how difficult that can be.

Moving around does stink. But I think Greg's curiosity would make it a fun adventure.

Great update

Thank you!

Ceillean: You know, Blythe should kick John in the rearend.
    No wonder House has a social problem! It's all his Dad's fault.

If only Blythe would've. And yes, I think John did more damage than he knew.

Great update, Lily!
    Thanks for the PM.

Thank you, and you're welcome.

DarthBerryStraw: I definitely see Greg picking up languages quickly! He has a strange, incredible mind. It's really too bad he doesn't have a kind, encouraging father. Still, he wouldn't be the House we all know and love if it wasn't for his past experiences.

I agree, I think there were definitely a number of factors in House's past that brought him to the cranky doc we all love.

Thanks for the PM!

You're welcome.

mavjade: Awww... poor Greg!
    Most parents would at least try and find out what happened and if it was his fault before punishing (not that leaving your child outside is a good punishment) them, but oh no, not John House.

John House is one of a kind in his cruelty, that's for sure.

Although Blythe makes me almost as mad that she lets it happen. If someone was doing that to my child, they'd be dead!

Same here, but House described his mom as hating confrontation, so I can see Blythe ignoring what was going on.

Great update, Lily! I can't wait for more!!

Thank you!

8. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    Summary: Ever wonder about House's early life that has been shrouded in such mystery? Well this story covers it all ranging from his birth, to his college days, and the infamous infarction. It also will cover House's relationship with his parents.
    AN: And here is the next chapter! This time he?s ten years old and living in Egypt. This chapter is inspired by the episode Clueless in season 2 where House diagnoses his patient is being poisoned with gold. I hope you all enjoy it!
    Disclaimer: House is owned by David Shore, I?m just borrowing his characters for a little while.

PM List:
    Ceillean
    DarthBerryStraw
    Rosa-Belle
    KELIA
    mavjade
    Goddess-Jaina-Redick
    blubeast1237

Chapter 5: 1969

Greg wiped the sweat from his brow and shaded the sun from his eyes in annoyance. Living in Egypt was definitely a big change from what he was used to, and the dry heat was a big adjustment. Living in the middle of the desert was another. For the last couple of months they?d lived on a marine base in the middle of nowhere. But the worst thing for the ten year old was that there was nothing for him to do.

It seemed that every minute of every day Greg was constantly trying to find something to keep him amused. He was being homeschooled at the moment and there were no other kids on the base, at least none young enough to want to play with him, and so he had to figure other ways to divert himself. That is what drew him to the ancient Egyptians.

He started by reading all the books he could find about their history, culture, the mummification process and especially about their tombs. He read about the discovery Howard Carter made years ago of Tutankhamen?s tomb, and Greg decided that he was going to make the next big discovery.

The base where they lived was pockmarked with huge rock formations and caves and so Greg was sure that one of them could be concealing a mummy?s tomb. He spent numerous hours looking for them, despite his mother?s worries about him playing in the desert. He never did come across a tomb, though one day he did find something interesting.

He was standing under the shade of one of the large rock formations when he discovered that there were hieroglyphics on it that Greg never noticed before. He studied the symbols and though he could understand a few of them, he was at a loss. But this wasn?t the most interesting thing about the hieroglyphics...For they were written in purple ink.

Greg was mystified at how the ancient Egyptians managed to create the colored ink and so the next day he was looking through another large tome about them. He was very fortunate that the base?s library had a large quantity of these. It took him three days of reading, but at last Greg finally solved the mystery after reading a single line in one of the books.

?Stannous Chloride (an agent for toughening ruby glass) was mixed with gold to create purple.?

He was thrilled to have finally found his answer, but Greg wasn?t totally satisfied. He needed to do something to prove it, and fortunately he had a way to access the answer. A month before on Greg?s birthday, his mother gifted him with a chemistry set, and he was pretty sure there was a vial of stannous chloride. Now he just needed to find some gold?

~~~~~

?Greg! You have to see this,? Blythe called out to her son. ?Someone is walking on the moon!?

Greg peered out towards the living room where his mother was pointing at the small television in the military appointed house. Some person in a suit was doing a strange kind of walk on some barren land that Greg was assuming was the moon. It didn?t really interest him as much as it did his mother, as he still had his puzzle to solve.

Greg looked at the time and realized that his father wasn?t going to be home for seve

9. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    [face_laugh] I love how House couldn't care less about the moon landing. Typical to his character, even at a young age.

10. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    I'm glad to see Blythe wasn't upset about her hand turning purple but what is Greg's dad going to say?

[face_thinking] [face_thinking] [face_worried] [face_worried]

I'm not surprised Greg wasn't the slightest bit impressed with something as mundane as the first man on the moon :p

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

11. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    That was an interesting way to prove his point. His Mom's seems to be a nice person -- she should still kick her husband in the butt and be done with it. :p

Great update and thanks for the PM!
    =D=

12. Goddess-Jaina-Redick

May 5, 2005
    I love that Greg's getting into the Eygptians. They're awesome. :D And his little experiment instead of watching history was amusing. Definitely something he would do.

13. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    OMG I am so reading this. It's priceless. His dad sounds like one of my uncles lol

14. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    DarthBerryStraw: I love how House couldn't care less about the moon landing. Typical to his character, even at a young age.

Yeah I think that House would pay more attention to whatever he was doing at the time, even if it was the moon landing.

KELIA: I'm glad to see Blythe wasn't upset about her hand turning purple but what is Greg's dad going to say?

He wouldn't be pleased.

I'm not surprised Greg wasn't the slightest bit impressed with something as mundane as the first man on the moon

Definitely.

Great update

Thank you!

Ceillean: That was an interesting way to prove his point. His Mom's seems to be a nice person -- she should still kick her husband in the butt and be done with it.

She should, too bad she tries to avoid conflict at all costs.

Great update and thanks for the PM!

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

Goddess-Jaina-Redick: I love that Greg's getting into the Eygptians. They're awesome. And his little experiment instead of watching history was amusing. Definitely something he would do.

Thank you, I'm glad you think it was such in character for him.

SilSolo: OMG I am so reading this. It's priceless. His dad sounds like one of my uncles lol

Thank you so much, I'm glad you like House.

15. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    AN: And here is the next chapter! And here's the next chapter, I hope you like it.

PM List:
    Ceillean
    DarthBerryStraw
    Rosa-Belle
    KELIA
    mavjade
    Goddess-Jaina-Redick
    blubeast1237

Chapter 6: 1972

When Gregory got his first sight of the city of Hong Kong he couldn?t help but be amazed by the architecture, the language and the people. Never before had he lived in an Asian country, and so this was particularly more interesting then living in yet another European country. In all his travels around the world Greg was able to find at least one redeeming factor about each place and he was curious to see what this place would bring.

After a month of living in Hong Kong he already had a preliminary knowledge of Mandarin, and once more was easily able to make friends. However, he soon realized that he was not welcomed by the locals as being neither British or Chinese. The latter Greg could do nothing about of course, but in less than a day he was able to master a perfect British accent. Which helped him fit in the locals, but was something his parents were flabbergasted by.

One day when Greg came inside for dinner, and happened to still be talking to the neighbor boy, his mother nearly thought that there was a strange child at her door. Upon realizing that it was in fact her son that spoke, she was shocked.

?Why are you speaking with an accent, Greg?? she questioned as soon as he walked in the door.

Greg merely shrugged. ?They don?t like Americans.?

Unfortunately John heard this statement. ?Well too bad for them, those Brits owe us a lot!?

Greg just shrugged again, but that brought him his father?s ire. ?You should be proud of the country you come from!?

?Who said I?m not?? Greg asked defensively.

?All I know is that my son walked in the door speaking like a damn Brit and he speaks at least half a dozen unnecessary languages that will do you no good in life,? John exclaimed.

?They?re useful,? Greg replied. ?And plus what if I decide I want to be a linguist when I grow up??

This was one of the worst things he could?ve said, and Greg knew it as soon as the words left his mouth.

?You aren?t going to be any damn scholar!? John exclaimed angrily. ?You are going to enlist in the marines and make something useful out of your life. It?s been the plan ever since you were born.?

?Well,? Greg said. ?I don?t remember signing a contract.?

?Get out!? John roared pointing at the door. ?I don?t want to see your face again tonight.?

?Good, then I don?t have to see yours,? Greg muttered so softly that he was fortunate his father didn?t hear. He grabbed his jacket and walked outside sitting on the porch. It was going to be another long night.

~~~~~

It was several hours later, and Greg was still trying to decide how best to get comfortable while laying on the dewy grass of their small yard. He looked up and not for the first time did he wish that the stars were visible, but Hong Kong?s lights were too bright. And then Greg heard the door opening and when he sat out he saw his mother walking out to him holding something large behind her back.

?Mom?? he asked. ?What are you doing up so late??

?I?m sorry about what your father said,? she replied. ?He really is very proud of you Greg, but you know that he?s always wanted you to follow in his footsteps.?

?I know,? Greg replied glumly yanking strands of grass out of the ground roughly.

?I have something for

16. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww...I love Blythe's gift to her son

He is lucky to have such an understanding mother

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

I have to admire his tactics for fitting in and being accepted by the locals!

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

17. Goddess-Jaina-Redick

May 5, 2005
    Awesome post! :D I really love Greg's mom in this. [face_love] She's too nice of a lady for her husband. And Greg picking up a British accent is amusing.

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Sorry, I totally forgot to review chapter 5! :oops:

It was great!
    But the worst thing for the ten year old was that there was nothing for him to do.
    Yes, that would be bad for any ten year old, but Greg House?? yeah, that is a scary thought! :p

?Stannous Chloride (an agent for toughening ruby glass) was mixed with gold to create purple.?
    Ah, ha ha! I love how you are working in these little things we learned in the show!! :D

And leave it to him to not care about the moon but the puzzle he had right there!! I loved it!

And on to chapter six:

The latter Greg could do nothing about of course, but in less than a day he was able to master a perfect British accent.
    ROFLOL!! That is great! [face_laugh][face_laugh]

Awww... his mom got him a guitar! How sweet... as long as his father didn't see him enjoying his punishment! [face_worried]

Great chapters!! =D= I can't wait for more!

19. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Great post!
    I adore Blythe -- she's such a sweet person.

I thought it was kind of cute that Greg would fake an accent to fit in. It was understandable as well -- no one wants to be an outsider.

=D=

20. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    KELIA: Awww...I love Blythe's gift to her son

He is lucky to have such an understanding mother

Yes, he sure is.

I have to admire his tactics for fitting in and being accepted by the locals!

Definitely.

Great update

Thank you!

Goddess-Jaina-Redick: Awesome post! I really love Greg's mom in this. She's too nice of a lady for her husband. And Greg picking up a British accent is amusing.

Thank you! And I had to give House a British accent as an homage to Hugh Laurie.

mavjade: Sorry, I totally forgot to review chapter 5!

It happens. :)

It was great!
    But the worst thing for the ten year old was that there was nothing for him to do.
    Yes, that would be bad for any ten year old, but Greg House?? yeah, that is a scary thought!

Thank you, yes boredom is bad for House, that's for sure.

Ah, ha ha! I love how you are working in these little things we learned in the show!!

I'm so glad you like it.

And leave it to him to not care about the moon but the puzzle he had right there!! I loved it!

Thanks!

And on to chapter six:

The latter Greg could do nothing about of course, but in less than a day he was able to master a perfect British accent.
    ROFLOL!! That is great!

:D

Awww... his mom got him a guitar! How sweet... as long as his father didn't see him enjoying his punishment!

Definitely.

Great chapters!! I can't wait for more!

Thank you! More is on the way soon.

Ceillean: Great post!
    I adore Blythe -- she's such a sweet person.

Thank you, isn't Blythe great?

I thought it was kind of cute that Greg would fake an accent to fit in. It was understandable as well -- no one wants to be an outsider.

Absolutely. :)

21. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    AN: This next chapter is about the main event that caused me to write this story. This is based off the episode in Season 3-Son of a Coma Guy where House explains why he decided to become a doctor. I hope you like my interpretation of that event. :)

PM List:
    Ceillean
    DarthBerryStraw
    Rosa-Belle
    KELIA
    mavjade
    Goddess-Jaina-Redick
    blubeast1237

Chapter 7: 1973

Greg looked outside the window mournfully and for one of the first times in his life he simply couldn?t concentrate on his homework. Normally when they moved to a new place he was so eager to learn everything, but their new home was in Japan. And Greg wanted nothing more than to go rock climbing. The surrounding mountains were nothing short of breathtaking, and he was eager to explore with Youta.

Since the House family?s arrival at the Marine base, Greg was fortunate enough to make a new friend quickly. Youta was the one assigned to help Greg when he arrived at the Japanese school. While the teachers were under the impression that the American Marine brat would need an English translator, and Youta was fluent in English. It was only the next logical step that the two would soon be fast friends, and both eventually took great amusement at how the same teacher was shocked when Greg spoke fluent Japanese a month later.

~~~~~

?Greg, are you done yet?? Blythe said, disturbing her son?s thoughts.

Greg looked up from his unfinished math homework and groaned. ?Not quite, Mom,? he answered.

?I think,? Blythe said. ?That you would rather be outside.?

Greg gave her a strange look. ?I would.?

?As long as you finish your work before you go to bed, I don?t see anything wrong with you going out for a few hours,? Blythe said smiling at how her son?s face lit up with excitement.

?Thanks, Mom,? Greg said quickly before running to the door as fast as he could.

?Tell Youta I said hi,? Blythe called out after him.

But he was already out the door.

~~~~~

?I don?t know Greg, it looks dangerous,? Youta said nervously, looking at the rock face they were about to climb.

?No its not,? Greg said calmly. ?Look there are handholds every step of the way.?

?Ok,? Youta replied in agreement. ?I hope this is worth it.?

?When you see the view at the top you can thank me,? Greg retorted before reaching out for the first hand hold. He carefully reached his leg forward and propelled himself up. Greg was grateful that he was thin and athletic because it definitely helped. After a few minutes he was over a third of the way up and only then did he look down.

?Youta, hurry up!? Greg called out to his friend who was only a couple of steps up. Youta looked pale and he was gripping the rock hard.

?Once you get up a couple more feet it will become easier,? Greg said trying to comfort him. Youta only nodded grimly for reaching for the next hold.

Greg turned back to the rock face. His next hand hold was a little farther up then the previous ones, but with a little stretching he was sure to get it. And then?he heard the scream. For a spilt second it nearly made Greg let go of the rock he was holding, but he grabbed hold at the last moment. And with a great deal of dread he looked down. His friend was laying in a awkward position?on the ground.

?Youta!? Greg shouted alarmed as he tried to get down as quickly and as safely as he could. ?Why didn?t I listen?? Greg thought sadly. ?I should?ve listen

22. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    What a relief Youta will be all right!

I don't want to imagine what his death would have done to Greg.

I was sorry to see such prejudice myself but I'm glad Youta's parents relented in the end to save their son's life.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

23. Tatooine_Ghost

Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2006
    loved it. please add me to your pmlist.

24. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    yay Youta lived!

25. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Wasn't there in episode in which House said something about that janitor? I'm not sure, though.

Great update! Greag finally found his calling.
    Wonderful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.