main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Household Income in the U.S. (and elsewhere)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Sep 13, 2017.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Cheapest 2br/2ba in Manhattan is $2300 right now, obviously no balcony, unfurnished, and probably 600 sqft. $1850 in Brooklyn, same deal. 1 at that price in Queens, then $2200 as next cheapest.

Basically, if you want public transportation (a must in NYC), the Bronx has the best values (if not neighborhoods/schools) at $1850 for a 1500 sqft apartment.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    My son starts his job in New York end of July next year, this is good to know. He has a roommate lined up starting then as well. They plan to split the rent on a 2br/2ba place in Manhattan or Brooklyn. $2300 seems really cheap. I see a lot of places for $5500 and up.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yes, I literally searched for "cheapest" and that's ultra-rare. I could rent out my apartment for, likely, $5500 - $6500 depending on the market conditions at the time. If he's where he interned, he should be "fine" especially with a roommate. Also, given the office location (being close to the E and M trains) that opens up a lot of Queens / Brooklyn areas as well, to keep costs down.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  4. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    When I graduated with my MBA (GPA 3.8), the only salaried offers I could find were close to $30,000. But I don't think Orlando pays well in the business management field. Many companies here don't really look for degrees in their candidates so much as real-world experience. IIRC, Bob Eisner, former CEO of Disney, didn't attend college. Many of my former classmates immediately left Florida upon graduating with their MBAs, because of that very reason.

If I had stayed with my current company's management program, I would still be making less than I currently do, and I would be working many more hours per week. But I would have better insurance coverage and other benefits, I guess.

I'm currently back in school doing a pre-medical program. I'm paying out of pocket this time around, but I've also done more research on my intended field of study this time and medical seems like a very lucrative field.

5. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    that's a frightening amount of money, like twice the sum of my mortgage and property tax.

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Back in 2000, my 460 square foot appartment cost me $3200/month. God knows what it goes for these days.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yes, me too -- I couldn't afford that. :p

Rylo Ken likes this.
  8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I guess people earning those high end Manhattan salaries need all the income inequality they can get just to keep up with the price of housing. Send tax cuts!

DarthIntegral likes this.
  9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I better not put the price of the 2bd/2br place I'm staying in....

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ezio Skywalker and Lord Vivec like this.
  11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah I'm well aware of the, uh, controversy of working for who I work for.

dp4m likes this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    In Springfield, Illinois, a 2 bedroom apartment might cost as much as $750/month.

dp4m likes this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

[​IMG]

Point Given likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    God, I hope Silicon Valley gets what it deserves.

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    A lot of money going into Vivec's pocket?

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Sure, let's go with that. :p

Lord Vivec likes this.
  17. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    My best friend lives in Silicon Valley. His one bedroom one bathroom studio apparently costs $3000/month.

He and his wife visited a couple weekends ago and she was surprised by how large and (relatively) cheap everything was in Orlando. :p

18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    A couple friend of mine just moved into an aluminum garden shed in San Anselmo that cost over $1 million.

19. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

I can't tell if you're even being serious. :p

But speaking of sheds, another one of my close friends recently moved into a shed somewhere near downtown Orlando because she apparently couldn't afford rent anywhere else after losing her job last year due to an at-work protest of our governor.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Charlotte area rentals have gone up; when I was still renting 15 years ago, my two-bedroom in a good neighborhood was $750 a month; the same one goes for about $1100 now. So I suppose comparable to Orlando pricing?

Uptown housing is really expensive though, $2000-3000 for a two bedroom.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Forget credit card debt, student loan debt is where it’s at. I’ve listened to three wonderful episodes of the Death, Sex and Money podcast about student loan debt, which in total is higher than credit card. Not only that, but it’s more than doubled (I think close to tripled) since the 2008 crash. It’s a mind-boggling trip along the road to finance ruin which continues at an amazing pace.

22. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

Like I said, my complex is the most affordable in the south Orlando area (without crossing over into Kissimmee). Most complexes around here charge $14-1600/month for a one bedroom/one bathroom unit and about $1800-3000/month for a two bedroom/two unit. It'll be more expensive the closer you get to Disney (the places that advertise "fireworks views" from their unit balconies). Rent also goes up annually. My rent went from $1200/month last year to $1300/month this year. Nothing changed, mind you. No new amenities or fresh paint or upgrades to the complex of any kind. The only justification was that the surrounding property values all went up.

Kissimmee is cheaper than Orlando, but then you're dealing with a kind of stigma similar to New York vs New Jersey. :p

23. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

hopefully that's largely exactly because of the crash, though we know it's also in part due to predatory practices of for profit colleges. People incentivized to stay in school and rack up additional debt rather than expose themselves to a terrible job market, people being unemployed and underemployed coming out of school and incapable of repayment, the difficulty of discharging student loan debt in bankruptcy.

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The last data set for Germany from the World Bank shows a GINI of .31, which is markedly better than the US. What's your source?

If anything, Germany might be showing the effects of accepting a ~1mil strong population with no income and assets, but I think it's too early to have collated and assessed that data.

It's actually not, and this is eye-wateringly stupid, derivative copypasta that should be beneath you. But you're woke af, so it's about the backslaps and self-validation right?

I mean, we know there's an enrichment process. We know Chinese workers got richer which means the competitive advantage they had in labour costs is decimated, but sure, the rich wanted to make Jack Ma one of their own in advance.

Which is a problem with the worst country on Earth being full of evil c-words. Not globalisation.

Thanks, America, you're by far the worst arsehats we have on this planet. [face_flag]

Actual Aryans amirite?

lol @ not subsidising education. My masters cost $40,000. My partner has a Juris Doctorate, that cost $80k or so.

lol @ America.

The DSA approve!

Also, you guys know nothing about income to debt ratios in your country.You're merely at 100%. Come see me when you hit 200% nationally. :p

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The US used to subsidize education. My bachelors degree cost $16,000, 25 years ago. It would cost three or four times that now. My masters' degree which took half as much time at a comparably funded university (public, in-state) cost $30,000.

Abadacus and Ezio Skywalker like this.