main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How about a printed fanfic story archive?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by caliman, Aug 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caliman

caliman Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2000
    I know this sounds like copyright infringement or something, but I was wondering, what stopping us from, taking a collection of the best (10 or so chosen by the editors/consultants, and fiver or so chosen by the readers) SW fan fiction in the archive and printing it up for ourselves in a form that all at the force.net, could purchase for the exact cost of matierials. At first it sounds like it's against the law, and it may be, but if all we are doing is charging someone for the cost of the paper, printer, and binding of the books (and can post the receipts and breakdown on the website)why couldn't we do that? The force.net would be in charge of selling the book for cost plus shipping. I imagine it would have to be cleared with Lucasfilm (whom I would imagine not like the idea), but if it's for cost, then what's the problem? There are several companies out there that will hardbound/softbound anything for you. It's not like the force.net would be making any profit or anything. Of course, I'm not really in the know on copyright issues, and it still sounds fishy, but I'm just wondering what you though?

The stories are already free to download and read online. So if all that we are paying for is the materials. What are your thoughts?

2. Anakin's Angel

Anakin's Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2000

I know very little about this, but I think that what you're talking about is called a 'zine'? Someone correct me if I'm wrong ;)

I know that a lot of slash writers put out zines, and I have no idea how legal (or illegal) it is. Most of the ones I've seen advertised are a collection of stories in one genre, but it could work any which way you did, I suppose. Although, I don't know that tfn would be allowed to sell it...

aa :)

3. Julie

Julie Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 1998
    That's what it is AA, a 'zine. Its a very risky venture because legally the companies can sue for copyright violation. There have been Star Wars 'zines in the past (mainly before the EU books in the early 1990s). Most of them have died out in the last decade due to lack of interest and lawsuit threats. People will rarely pay money for something that they can see online for free, so the 'zines usually printed stories that were either removed from the 'net or never were on the 'net at all. Most of the time the people doing the printing couldn't sell enough to cover their production costs.

4. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    caliman: actually i understand what you're saying...i've always wanted to see a published book of fanfics on the bookshelves of B&N or Borders. but it is kind of unrealistic--no offense. and i know that TFN would never agree to anything that might put them in a copyright infringement lawsuit [face_shocked]

so i guess the web will just have to fuel our fanfic desires :)

5. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    It would be cool to get a whole bunch of fan fic published. The Star Wars Gamer magazine has submission guidelines, but they won't publish you unless you're already a published author. Now, what would be cool is an official LFL fan fiction magazine. They could ask for submissions and publish the mag (or whatever) bi-annualy or quarterly. That would give them enough time pick the stories they want to publish in the next issue. Then, we'd have the official disclaimer letting everyone know who owns the copyright. Something like "Based on ideas,characters, places and situations created by George Lucas." We'd get to see our stories in print and not have to worry about getting sued. Maybe they could give a free subscription to the people they publish for that issue. If they already have a subscription, it could just be extended another year of whatever.

I know it's just a dream, but it's a nice dream...

6. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    a VERY nice dream :)

7. sabrelight

sabrelight Jedi Master star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    Printed fanfic that would be great-I would be still be reading fanfic but my dad wouldn't accuse me of wasting my life before a computer.

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    'Zines are still alive and well as fanfix.com's zine page can tell you. Just last year, I got my first printed material when a Skywalker family 'zine called I Care #3 came out.

9. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Fanzines are cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.