main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How big of roles do you want C-3P0 and R2-D2 to have in the sequel trilogy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Fruit Pastilles, Mar 21, 2015.

?

How big of roles do you want C-3P0 and R2-D2 to have in the sequel trilogy?

1. Large roles, similar to the originals'.

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Medium-size roles, greater than the prequels' but smaller than the originals'.

21 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Small roles, similar to the prequels'.

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I know others have covered this, but I just want to share my thoughts on this. First if you take really good care of a machine they can last an extremely long time. There are 60 year old cars still on the road today that look brand new.

There are also limits in the physical world. Eventually with any technology you are going to run up on these limits, and advances are either going to come slowly or none at all. We are already running up on the limits of current computer technology. It won't be long before the only way to increase the power of a computer is to make bigger computers. The only thing that will change this is a major break through in material science (possibly advances in graphene) or quantum computers.

As well you just have to take into consideration attachment. Luke got awfully attached to R2 extremely quickly. Like his father he probably would prefer to upgrade R2 instead of replace him.

I don't know about you, but for me the big three are Luke, R2, and Han. R2 has a bigger role in the OT than Leia.

Haha, nah he isn't Chopper.

2. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    It could actually have a very big impact if one of them, most likely R2, were to be killed off. But I doubt that will happen.

3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't know...other than R-4, which was a very minor droid, we've never seen a droid (not counting separatists and whatnot) be destroyed before. There's a first time for everything, and I'm sure the people behind this one (or the ST in general) are well aware of the fact that we now regard them with just as much fondness as all the other main characters-so their passing would be just as impactful...

I hope R-2 doesn't go. If I'm thinking correctly, R-2 is the only one in the saga who knows ALL the details about and has experienced everything that's gone on since the beginning, even possibly some of the "secret stuff." IIRC, that was one of the main reasons Anakin didn't want to give up R2 or wipe his memory during TCW...

4. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Has anyone noticed the absence of C3PO on any trailer?

And R2 only has a cameo so far which has been pretty much the same shot since the teaser.

Does this mean their roles will be fairly minor and out of the way, even more reduced than the PT?

5. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    I'd rather R2 was Rey's companion droid rather than that bb-8. I can see why they tried to be clever where a rolling ball bot could be more maneuverable on desert sand, but SW had plenty of droids on Tatooine that didn't need to rolling balls.

I think there was some old fandom talk about R2 being the carrier of the "Journal of the Whills" which was discovered to tell the tale of SW "long long ago".

6. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Well the story we've seen has been told by R2-D2 (As opposed to R2-D4 or R2-D5):p

That's why the story begins in Naboo in TPM, because R2-D2 was in Naboo. That's why it (R2-D2) follows the hero's journey, after Tatooine he goes with Anakin, after ROTS he goes with Obi-wan then with Leia then with Luke in ANH. I found it funny that Leia never claimed it back after the rescue in ANH. She never told Luke thanks for taking care of MY droids now hand them back. C3PO continues to follow Luke as its owner even after Leia is rescued.

I know Leia was rich and droids are dime a dozen in GFFA but still.

But I digress. R2 follows the story and the hero and we saw who is with R2-D2 in TFA in the teaser, and that gives me hope.

7. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Killing R2, to me, would be the equivalent (or worse) as killing a dog in a movie. It's not cool man.

I'm cool with BB-8 and R2 hanging together for this trilogy. R2 need to be in the entire Saga.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  8. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    I want R2 in it big.

[​IMG]

The Bops likes this.
  9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    [face_hypnotized]