main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How can Imperials be fascists...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by NihilusLordOfHunger, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The NR is supposed to control the Galaxy-losing the capital would be a terrible blow but it shouldn't destroy the NR entirely.

Though like I said they don't care about IU consistency or worldbuilding.

They want to emulate the OT.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    IU, the New Republic is a much smaller body than the Republic. It's also only, like, twenty years old at its destruction, and significantly less tightly put together than something like the Empire or the Republic, with most of the actual NR fleet stationed above Hosnian Prime since the rest was demilitarized.

jSarek and Supreme Leader Woke like this.
  3. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Mostly demilitarized? After a peace of 25 years?

With the fleet stationed literally in one place?

And isn't the NR supposed to be Galaxy spanning?

It literally makes no IU sense. Because they don't care about IU concerns.

V-2 and Ackbar's Fishsticks like this.
  4. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Yup. It happened around 1 ABE following the Battle of Jakku. Mon Mothma wanted to focus less on the military and more on rebuilding, as well as making a show of reducing the military to avoid another Empire. There's still some military present, just not a ton.

Considering that one place is the location of the Senate, it makes sense.

Nope.

Because you're going off of false information and refuse to to independently look for correct information.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Jedi Princess likes this.
  5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Hey, Hux said it was the Last Day of the Republic.

It's the last day.

"The FIRST ORDER reigns. Having decimated the peaceful Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke now deploys his merciless legions to seize military control of the galaxy."

I mean, really.

V-2 likes this.
  6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    In-universe, I don't think it'll be that difficult to justify the First Order having defeated the New Republic. I'm predicting that the New Republic Senators which the First Order had compromised were off-planet when they eradicated Hosnian Prime. As such, combined with any Senator survivors sufficiently intimidated by the destructive power of Starkiller Base, it's entirely possible they completely surrendered the galaxy to their First Order masters.

A Marshal Petain situation.

7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Doesn't Before the Awakening state the NR occupied large swaths of space stretching from the Core to the Outer Rim?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    V-2 likes this.
  8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The canon Galaxy seems like it is so much smaller than the legends(and even PT) Galaxy.

It doesn't feel that big honestly.

CLee and V-2 like this.
  9. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Yes, but compared to the Empire, it's much smaller.

"While a fraction the size of both the Galactic Republic and Empire, its egalitarian practices left many neighboring star systems on friendly terms with the new government."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/New_Republic#cite_ref-SWP_23-3

You done? Or do you have more gripes with the New Canon you want to bring up?

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I could write an epic poem rivaling the Iliand expressing all my gripes and frustrations.

And a lot of my criticisms are not just me harping-other people share them. In fact after TLJ I think more people share them.

11. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    People just have to admit that a lot of other people, now going slightly over 50% just aren't happy with the direction of Star Wars. TLJ has even made me appreciate LOTF and Denning.

Riven_JTAC likes this.
  12. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Anger be now your song, Darth Invictus,
    Abrams' anger, doomed and ruinous,
    that caused the Litizens loss on bitter loss
    and crowded great characters into the Legends label
    leaving so many decanonized - carrion
    for Filoni and Johnson; and the will of Kennedy was done.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    "Oh so great a sorrow that such a love was lost. My heart was filled with sorrow and my mind with dread that my beloved EU was dead.

For on that spring day a beautiful thing died and my sorrow became forever unending and I grew sorrowful and bitter as my love was no more.

Oh requiem for the old eu how beautiful was thee, your grand history, mystery and glee. Your tales and tribulations, your joys and defeats, the wonder you inspired in me.

Oh how I loved thee and where has thee gone but into darkness and the void of memory."

SpecForce Trooper and Havoc123 like this.
  14. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    For me, its not even so much that Legends is decanonized anymore. I've accepted it, and fanfiction may as well be a better continuation than what the nu management of Star Wars might have in mind. The issue is the New Canon fails to provide anything that's of consistent quality. It just has one-off gems like Bloodline and things that aren't 'too bad I guess' like Rogue One.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The NuCanon is firmly established at this point and I don't begrudge any kid that grows up watching the ST.

It's just not my Star Wars.

16. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Haha sounds like someone trying to talk a buddy through a bad trip.

Get him back to his safety safe! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    The New Republic isn’t the United States; it’s the United Nations. Nuking New York and then invading the world with a secret hidden army of moon Nazis lead by a Magical Neo-Nazi would lead to the UN breaking apart too.

CLee, jSarek and Outsourced like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There's a very good reason why the entire NRDF is deployed at Hosnian Prime, and that is because of a desire to NOT look like the Empire. If we must make Legends comparisons, then let's look at the Black Fleet Crisis: the Fifth Fleet was perceived by some worlds as an attempt by the NR to be like the Empire and impose its will on other worlds.

The decisions made in the new canon NR, while different to what we're used to, make sense in both an EU and canon context. Remember that Legends also had Mon Mothma attempt to scrap the Lusankya because she didn't want to look too Imperial.

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    A neat little retcon would be that Villechem had been persuaded the First Order was a threat and had gathered the New Republic fleet for an invasion of the First Order.

20. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    All I hope for is that the New New Republic admits that the micro-military idea was stupid and builds up a proper force.

Sarge and Ackbar's Fishsticks like this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Total disarment of the galaxy is the best solution with only Jedi to protect!

22. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    But what about the next First Order? A couple saber jockies can't hold down a galaxy! The galaxy has to learn a lesson!

Havoc123 and Ackbar's Fishsticks like this.