main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How could the Jedi not sense that palpatine was evil

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Starwars1987, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Starwars1987

Starwars1987 Jedi Padawan

Jun 3, 2018
    I mean I know he was all-powerful but why couldn't the jedi council sense that he was evil.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    It's a mystery to me

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    The dark side clouds everything, I think even Yoda mentions it at some point.

If you're a Sith and you have been hiding forever, it does seem a good idea to develop your stealth techniques.

4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    A combination of egotism and self-delusion. The Jedi were certain they could sense the Sith return, and if they did, thee's no way they could get anywhere near the seat of power. So, they didn't really look all that hard and were skeptical of Qui-Gon's suspicions. And, when they started looking in earnest, they looked outwards, not even realizing that the Sith were so close. Thus, it took them far too long to realize that Dooku was doing anything remotely bad, let alone be a Sith Lord. And when they decided that Palpatine might be corrupt, though not a Sith follower, they overreacted, giving Palpatine the opening he needed to wipe them out and get away with it.

Palpatine played on their weaknesses, and bamboozled them.

DarthKreVass, AusStig, Tonyg and 8 others like this.
  5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Palpatine was strong with the dark side and could hide his true nature. They clearly knew he was shady (I don't trust him...the dark side of the force surrounds the Chancellor) but didn't think he was flat out evil.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    AusStig and Dannik Jerriko like this.
  6. Liam_x7

Liam_x7 Jedi Padawan

Jun 13, 2020
    First time poster, Wasnt the Jedi Council built upon the sith shrine? I could be wrong but im pretty sure ive read it was built otop of the sith shrine

Ehpik and CampOfSorgan like this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Plapy wore perfume to mask his scent. He smelled like cookies.

8. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    In Legends it’s called Force Stealth.
    The Wookieepedia page says
    Darth Sidious was the most powerful and notorious user of this power, having hid his dark nature for over three decades from the Jedi High Council, even when in the same room.”

9. Revanchist4000bby

Revanchist4000bby Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2020
    I was listening to that Dooku audiobook today and there was scene where a cloth was used in a ritual to mask dark side energy. Given that Palpatine was very into sorcery using the force, I wouldn’t be surprised if he were using some type of spell to mask his true nature.

10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Evil-sensing isn't a particularly reliable or valid force sensitivity anywhere in the GFFA.

AusStig likes this.
  11. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    pardon?

"the dark-side I sense in you"

"that place (the cave) is strong with the darkside of the force"

as to answer the OP because "plot"

my own theory is that Palpatine didn't use the force in front of the Jedi so they didn't have anything in front of them to 'detect'
    I don't hold to the 'he was masking his true appearance' stuff.

12. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    .... which, logically, would render evil-sensing not particularly reliable or valid, would it now.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Erkan12 and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  13. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    well I don't know, I'm not the creator that decided it be a thing and then conveniently ignore it on a whim was I? ;)

JohnWilliamsSonoma likes this.
  14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I don't think it's that the Jedi were arrogant or blind. It's just that Palpatine was that good at hiding himself.

Alexrd likes this.
  15. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    While I'm sure part of it was using his Dark Side powers to mask himself, or refraining from using them too much near the Jedi, I still think Palpatine didn't need to resort to such things all that much. All he had to do was play on the weaknesses and insecurities of those around him, and get them looking everywhere except towards him until it was far too late.

16. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    I've just reminded myself of Windu's line "the darkside of the force surrounds the chancellor"

so eh...I dunno anymore, too worn out to even try to rationalise this kind of stuff :p

it is what it is I guess.

17. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    There was definitely some amount of arrogance on their part. “I do not believe the Sith could have returned without us knowing”. Clearly that was not true.

Tonyg, jc1138 and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  18. Ehpik

Ehpik Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2013
    You're right. The Jedi Temple on Coruscant was built on top of an ancient Sith Temple (one of the reasons Palps turns the Jedi Temple into his new throne room, not just because he wanted to rub it in the faces of the surviving Jedi, but he'd also travel down to the Sith Temple for meditation and rituals - as shown in the Tarkin novel). The Jedi built their temple on top of the Sith Temple, in hopes it suppressed the dark side; However, the dark side due to the sith temple, helped cloud the Jedi's judgments and views.

19. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Palpatine was able to mask both his dark side force signature and his force presence entirely.

That’s probably one of the most impressive things about him-he was able to stand in the presence of great Jedi masters and fool them all.

20. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Yeah, I really don't know what to make of that line. I can buy that Sidious is a super powerful Sith lord who can cloak his Force sensitivity around Jedi, but then Windu says stuff like that.

Dandelo likes this.
  21. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Why would anyone assume that the Jedi would be so easily be able to sense Palpatine's moral compass? The Jedi were not invincible. I don't think the Force was supposed to be some entity that anyone can easily label or sub-categorize.

Perhaps the Jedi's own arrogance and complacency blinded them from the evil around them. I feel that the idea of the Temple being built upon a Sith artifact is a bit too simplistic and it almost prevents the Jedi for taking responsibilities for their flaws and mistakes.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Tonyg and jc1138 like this.
  22. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    I’m assuming they could sense his moral compass because they say that the dark side surrounds the chancellor. Doesn’t that kinda suggest he’s evil, and possibly force sensitive?

23. Ehpik

Ehpik Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2013
    It wasn't the sole reason, just ONE of the reasons. It's a mixed bag of tricks, and the joke was on them.

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    The "dark side surrounding" also could have meant one of his trusted advisors was the Sith (hmmm, current events - ah, off topic) - there was darkness, but the source was unclear.

wobbits and Tonyg like this.
  25. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    The Jedi seemed to trust Palpatine in TPM and AOTC, and only started to become wary of him sometime during ROTS. Conveniently for Palpatine, the Jedi Council's distrust of him made them order Anakin to spy on him, which in turn made Anakin distrust the Council. My guess is that Sidious intentionally partially unveiled his darkness when the time was right.

whostheBossk, AusStig, Tonyg and 2 others like this.