main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How did 200+ Jedi arrive at the arena on Geonosis without attracting attention?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TheNewEmpire, Jan 17, 2018.

1. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    it was a trap the supreme chancelor knew so obviously sidious gave dooku a heads up look how quick the droids are on scene to wipe out most of the jedi there. this was all about kick starting the war and wiping out as many jedi as possible

2. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I interpreted it as Dooku actually playing two roles. Some part of him legitimately wants to end the Republic and its corruption. The other as Sith apprentice.

But either way, as both, he warns the Jedi (led by Windu) that they can't win. He then allows the battle to proceed. But he halts the final attack and appears to genuinely not want to give the order to fire.

I'm sorry old friend.

It is when the Jedi refuse to surrender, that he permits the attack to finish. As for the Jedi escaping, that is purely down to Yoda's arrival. Nothing to do with Dooku. The droids open fire, and the Jedi only survive owing to a perimeter being created by the Republic gunships, and clone cover fire. That's down to Yoda.

As for how the Jedi arrived. That scene was pretty cool though! But yes, I am guessing a combination of stealth commando like Jedi entering the area. Force mind tricks etc. But at least it is believable in the PT unlike ST.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Also remember Geonosis is rather isolated and the Jedi strike force are Jedi after all so they can be sneaky when they need to be.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  4. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    I don't think any warning was necessary. It was shown that what Dooku said was true. Even the Jedi were outnumbered and impossibly so.

Even a Jedi, or Sith is not invulnerable.

Windu: What did you do here anyway?
    Geonosian defector: I was the janitor.

Windu: Janitor? Those prisoners are counting on us! The entire Republic is counting on us!
    How do you plan on getting inside?

Geonosian defector: We'll use the Force.

Windu: That's not how the Force works! Masters Mundi, Secura, Shryne, proceed with Backup Plan Bastion!

Mundi: (What about the droid attack on the Wookies) Would surprise and awe work?

Windu: It's time to end this party. Let's go!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  5. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Simple; They read the script...

6. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Some, maybe all probably came by traveling in their Jedi starfighters like Obi did as they were mostly a peacekeeping force. So their fighters would be like patrol cars are for cops.

7. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    The Jedi have powers that many don't understand. The Force is the pathway to abilities some consider to be unnatural.

I am guessing the Jedi moved in by stealth and revealed themselves. No doubt also hoping that their mere presence would be enough to end this here and now.

I like the entry, it's really cool seeing Windu enter, and the lightsabers ignite around the entire Arena.

But if we ask this question, then surely we'd have to ask how a squadron/group of Republic Gunships snuck up on the Arena without anyone noticing!

8. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    Wait, so the Jedi can be some kind of Force ninja super-commandos now?

Ehh, I don't buy that. Even if Dooku and maybe even the Separatist leadership knew the Jedi were coming, that doesn't include the large Geonosisian audience in the arena. Even if Force mind tricks work on them (which I don't know if they do), someone close by not directly influenced by such would have to had noticed a robed humanoid figure carrying a lightsaber walking through, especially if there's 200 of them!

And why that number of Jedi? Dooku and Palpatine may have planned this scenario out in order to jump-start the war but to me, they seemed very lucky for Mace to have brought such a large contingent of the Order to Geonosis (including, if I'm not mistaken, most if not all of the ruling Jedi Council).

That's a lot of Jedi to call together on such short notice to travel to such an isolated location. And for what? To rescue a Master, his Padawan, and a Republic Senator? Okay. To quell a possible insurrection? Maybe. To rely on a pure show of force in hopes of scaring the Geonosisians straight? Alright!

What kind of plan is this? It's brash, it's arrogant, it's why the Jedi are not soldiers. Planned or not, Palpatine stumbled onto a huge chance to wipe out a significant number of Jedi through the brazen actions of the Order's leaders. It's as much Mace's fault for this battle/trap as it is Dooku's.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There were only 212 Jedi available in the Temple, to stage a rescue operation like that. That's the general rule of thumb...to have that many available for emergencies. Also, the Jedi were not only given permission to go to Geonosis, but they were allowed to take command of the Clone Army. Two hundred thousand units were ready to go. That's why Yoda went to Kamino to inspect them for himself and once he was done, ordered them to get on the Republic cruisers.

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Don't know, because they're Jedi?

11. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The issue is that he would have revealed his hand far too early. He needed the Jedi to be far more separated. Through each corner of the galaxy where they couldn't regroup or communicate easily so that he could thin their numbers throughout the war while seeding further doubt in the Jedi's intent and political agenda in Coruscant. The longer game he was playing in the PT aimed to snap the spine of the Jedi Order completely.

12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Couple of things:

I think Dooku knew the Jedi were coming. I think the Jedi were being their utmost stealthy getting into the arena in hopes they could surprise Dooku. (But it didn't matter since it was already a trap)

As much as this trap was meant to kill Jedi, it's main purpose was to start the war in a way that framed the Republic and Jedi as aggressors invading a neutral planet. After this Dooku can spin it as the Jedi directly starting the war and leading an army they created in secret. The reputation of the Jedi needs to be killed before the order can be destoryed.

Also interesting is the first person to notice the Gunships is not the Jedi but Padme. And when she does the Jedi's reaction is visibly surprised. This makes me think Yoda someone how hid them in the Force and the Jedi are so accustomed to using the Force for greater insight that in the moment they aren't focusing on their other senses as much.

Really the mistake Luke makes in The Empire Strikes Back of going to save Han and Leia, the entire Jedi Order makes in Attack of the Clones with their rescue attempt.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The Jedi weren't just there to rescue Obi-wan, but to stop Dooku and the Confederacy. Remember that the Senate just voted to give Palpatine Emergency Powers, which in turn would allow him to use the Clone Army to fight for the Republic.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  14. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    In some other universe, perhaps, either Yoda, or Obi Wan inspects the Clone Army from that balcony on Kamino, and decides that they like their army. And instead of going to Geonosis, goes to Coruscant.

Agreed.

Mind you, the Jedi sneaking in (like Obi Wan did) and then revealing themselves is reasonable to expect. They were Jedi with Force powers. I would have thought how did the Republic gunships sneak up on the Arena without anyone noticing. Not to mention no one in the Spire thought to alert their leaders that a massive force had just landed on the planet and was advancing at them!

I really liked the Arena scene and Jedi fight. That sense of despair as they are suddenly overwhelmed and surrounded. And the John Williams music of Anakin and Padme being taken into it. Incredible. Like the end of the Jedi era.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Why would they do that?

There wasn't an alert because Dooku made sure that there wasn't one, in order to start the war and put the Confederacy on the defensive.

16. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Same, particularly Anakin and Padme being brought out into the arena and that music. It sells the tragedy of the romance better than the dialogue, and I think there is also an intentional irony in the Geonosian audience watching them while the cinema audience will also be witness to their tragic arc.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  17. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    Jedi wear very soft, quiet boots. [​IMG]

And of course, the whole scenario was being orchestrated by two Sith Lords who controlled both sides. So, they didn't actually sneak up on them, because Dooku knew they were coming.

18. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    That music is intense right!

Yes almost bittersweet moment. I feel like you get a sense of both the romance of Anakin Skywalker and Padme Amidala.

But also that sense that this is the Twilight of the Jedi almost. The "civilised" age Obi Wan spoke of. I remember the sense of awe watching the scene in the cinema the first time.

And the genuine sense of despair as the Jedi are eventually overwhelmed and Dooku calls the droids off temporarily. Brilliant.

19. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Yes! There's always been something about that shot that just works on all levels and felicitously communicates the melodramatic tragedy of the romance at the film's center. It's honestly one of my favorite Star Wars moments of all time, and it doesn't' get nearly enough love. The way the camera tilts up with Anakin's gaze to take in the slavering hordes of insectile spectators lusting after his and Padme's grisly deaths...it's very stirring. It's a real "us against the universe" moment. "They wouldn't let us be."

darkspine10, DarthTalonx and HevyDevy like this.
  20. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Yes, it really is a powerful moment. I still get the feels from the scene and the music watching it to this day. And in the cinema, that was just so moving. As well as Anakin and Padme's love "across the stars" moment, in a way it conveys the end of an era. The twilight of the Jedi so to speak. Bittersweet.