main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How did Hutts rise to power in the first place?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AllAboutThatMace, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Keeping up the real world analogies;

As portrayed in the movies and novels both, Hutt society actually reminds me of Saudi Arabia and the little sheikdoms that border it. There's not much of a "working class" - the bulk of the labor is done by an immigrant workforce with few rights (and who, in some places, actually outnumber the locals). There technically is a "warrior class," but also often a reliance on foreigners - used to be British, more recently American - to deter or fight off the really big threats. The point is that since they're sitting on a mind-boggling pile of money, the Saudis and others can basically hire anyone when they don't feel like doing it themselves.

That's how Hutt society seems to work. You pretty much never meet a Hutt smuggler or mercenary or bounty hunter. They hire people from among the "lesser" species to do these jobs, while keeping their monopoly on the business and politics parts of the operation.

SateleNovelist11 and Gamiel like this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    From the novelization:

With a strength beyond her own strength, she pulled. He bucked with his huge torso, nearly breaking her fingers, nearly yanking her arms from their sockets. He could get no leverage, his bulk was too unwieldy. But his sheer mass was almost enough to break any mere physical restraint.

Yet Leia's hold was not merely physical. She closed her eyes, closed out the pain in her hands, focused all her life force - and all it was able to channel - into squeezing the breath from the horrid creature.

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Intense. I need to reread that novelization.

4. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015

Well - if you think about it - the fact the Hutts being naturally by default immune or resistant to Force-Tricks, and their fat sludgy pudgy sedentary appearance belies the fact they can absorb quite some punishment better than a number of other beings, the fact they also dominated the Toydarians by default - well on Tatooine and the fact the Hutts also being natural crooks and thugs and gangsters and the Hutt Ruling Council and Hutt Cartel - considering also the fact the concept of ... LUCRATIVE MONEY! MONEY! MONEY! - and Credits! Considering how it was remarked '"The most dangerous weapon in the galaxy is money, Captain." AND the fact Spice and Druggats and Peggats are a more tangible form of money and payment and currency in the Outer Rim Worlds where 'Credits Will Not Do Fine...' - and the Hutts were excellent at garnering control of that - so surely then anyone or any individual with the will to sacrifice integrity for some easy money and rewards would surely then be willing work for the highest bidder of such and the Hutts being them on such a case ...

Don't also forget '"One thing ties them together—credits. The pursuit of lucre motivates every species that recognizes a monetary system." - and the fact as long as you got a monetary system you can pretty much work out at it that you will be working for it - well sometimes doing bad things ...

Actually - there was a Hutt Jedi - well turned Dark Side Hutt - Beldorion - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Beldorion

ALSO Hutts - they can apparently take in blaster shots and they can use their tails at times against opponents and the thick skin provides better protection against natural elements, corrosive and poisonous elements and chemicals - well without the benefit of armor and compared to say a human or lesser creature ... and I'm not talking armor or such ... and consider Hutts being long-lived and also the fact how they can regenerate to a degree PLUS the fact how Hutts can acquire technology at times considering they tried to make another Death Star of their own ...

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe the Sith have helped the Hutts rise to power throughout galactic history. The Hutts might have helped the Sith assassinate people and collect bounties.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Ah the Hutts were around before the Sith were even a thing ;) and will likely also outlast them as Zodoh very wisely puts it.
    [​IMG]

7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    We need Hutts like this in the new canon like right now.

Vthuil, Gorefiend and darklordoftech like this.
  8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yep, though snarky Jabba from the new Comics is already a pretty good step.
    [​IMG]

spicer, Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  9. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    There is a hole in my fan soul that can only be filled by more of these glorious Hutt starfighters
    [​IMG]

darskpine10 and Gorefiend like this.
  10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    They so have to bring Hutt Yachts back. :(

spicer likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's the one that's built buy the human-owned Kuat Drive Yards right?

12. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Agreed, however I have a feeling we'll see a Hutt Yacht much sooner than anything similar to the Intruder class starfighters :(

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is he crammed into the cockpit like a too large octopus in a too small jar?

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Nep Ubrikkian, which btw already made it back into canon.

Well there is already a pretty nice Hutt fighter with the Starhopper so I also think some kind of Hutt Yacht or “Pleasure Cruiser” is due to show up soon.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That is the company that is a subsidiary of Kuat Drive Yards*, right?

* Which is still owned by humans, right?

16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

I will until the end of days insist that Kuat of Kuat from Kuat of House Kuat of Kuat Drive Yards is a lunatic who just imaged the whole book. So no I do not believe that it is owned by humans. ;)

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have not read that book actually, I was referring to all the fact-books that tell us that Kuat is human controlled.

18. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    Consider also the fact where both sides had to approach Jabba the Hutt for approval to use secret Hyperspace Routes through Hutt Space and all Jabba the Hutt cared about was getting his 'punky muffin' being Rotta BUT until Rotta was secure and such - he refused to help anyone ... and the fact why else would Count Dooku or the Jedi and the Republic try to curry his favor then? So surely then another thing to consider that the Hutts also 'know things' and hence have useful information that sometimes the highest bidder has to be a 'submissive suck' if they must in a sense ... and consider the Hutt Clans being able to hire Cad Bane to break out Ziro the Hutt ... AND the fact Jabba the Hutt managed to claim back the Hutt Holodiary containing 'every dirty little secret' probably 'as slimy and sleezy and greasy' as themselves ... that means just how influential and Powerful they can be ...

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Vader & Jabba banter in that issue is some of my favourite stuff. "Rebel lies and propaganda. Speak no more of them." and "If you value that creature's life, you should tell it to never do that again in my presence."

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    What comic is that?

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Jabba or Zodoh?

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Jabba n Vader banter is from Star Wars #4. Dunno aboot the other one.

23. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    I honestly can't believe no one has posted this picture yet. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

[​IMG]

So, yeah, this is how the Hutts rose to power. Basically.

spicer, Iron_lord, Gorefiend and 2 others like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Wow, Iron Man of Hutt, neats!

PCCViking likes this.
  25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Ah good old Parella the Hunter, he even got his own short story back in the days.

Iron_lord and BigAl6ft6 like this.