main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How did Krayt evade Luke's attention after FOTJ

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Invictus, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    So after Abeloth appeared to be temporarily defeated. Krayt disappeared. It always seemed strange to me that despite Krayt taunting and hinting at a different sith order to luke, he and the jedi never investigated or hunted the mysterious sith lord.

Korriban and other worlds in sith space seem to me to be likely places the Jedi would have investigated first.

But how in everyone's opinion did after revealing himself to Luke Skywalker did Krayt evade attention and escape the jedi hunting for him? Or did the jedi even try to hunt for him?

2. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Luke was... tired. Disgusted with himself. He went to that island to die.

Wait, what are we talking about again?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  3. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    We're talking about legends here.

4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Korriban is one large planet. Considering how hard it is to find people here on Earth even with our advanced satellite technology and the internet (and in Star Wars, note how nobody seems to blink an eye when the most wanted man in the galaxy, Count Dooku, casually flies into Coruscant at the end of Attack of the Clones), I have no problem believing Krayt and his One Sith setup was hiding on Korriban the whole time. Krayt probably stuck his tongue out while hiding behind a rock at Luke and his Knights, who were casually walking by looking for the One Sith.

This is the same universe where Dooku can be casually sitting in the Naboo Royal Palace dining room in TCW 'Crisis on Naboo' and the Jedi Council members didn't even know he was there until it was nearly too late. In TCW movie, Obi-Wan walks right by Dooku on Tatooine outside Jabba's palace and didn't even notice him.

Wookieepedia notes "Some years before 44 ABY, Luke Skywalker had all navigation data about Korriban banned from Jedi computers, and had asked the Galactic Alliance to do the same. Despite this, enough information was found in ancient, locked-up records, allowing Luke, Ben Skywalker, Jaina Solo, and Vestara Khai to get to Korriban while looking for the Lost Tribe of Sith." in its Korriban article.

By Luke's own well intentioned bungling, he likely ensured that Krayt could stay in hiding for a century by the fact that so few people now knew how to visit there.

5. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Dooku came in to the abandoned works district and wasn't publically announcing himself.

Also as I understood it, the one Sith were all in one place more or less.

Krayt also boasted to Luke about his order and other Jedi saw him, sensed him and were most definitely aware of Krayt's statements.

6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    In the real world, hackers, criminals and terrorists make boasts about their crimes and taunt authorities into trying to find them. Doesn't make it much easier to actually find them.

Take into account that "one place" would mean the entire planet in Star Wars terms. That's like saying all members of an international hacker group are in one place because they all live on Earth.

Literally the only way to ensure the One Sith are not a threat on Korriban would be to orbitally bombard the planet to dust (and even then they might hide underground in a bunker or something). And I don't think Luke and the Jedi are going to do that even knowing about Krayt.

7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    He and the rest of the One Sith could easily hide themselves, especially if they use a dark side planet like Korriban as a camouflage (like when Luke, Ben, and Vestara were there hunting for clues to Abeloth).

8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    By one place I mean one cave, cavern, tomb or chamber. Not spread out over the whole planet.

Also why didn't the Jedi investigate Krayt's whereabouts at the end of apocalypse? Track him down?

@Sinrebirth any thoughts?

9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    If you were Darth Krayt and you knew Luke Skywalker and the entire New Jedi Order were looking for you, would you really hide out in one cave, cavern, tomb or chamber? Is there a work where someone says that they actually did this? If there is, it does seem odd and remarkably short sighted of Krayt and his Sith.

10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    When Alema encountered them they seemed to all be congregated in one specific place.

Remember most of Korriban is a desolate wasteland-Krayt also wants to build up his numbers and maintain his control over them. Keeping them close to him(or his regent) makes sense.

11. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    There's always the potential Luke DID end up looking for him, only to finally meet his end at the hands of Krayt. This would be after he continues his exile from the Jedi Order, so people just think Luke disappeared after going into exile, pretty much listing him off as KIA after some time passed, but not really aware of what happened to him.

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I think Krayt most certainly would have stated that to Cade. Luke's ghost would have told cade that as well.

Also it doesn't seem right any Sith Lord can say with honesty "I killed Luke Skywalker". Luke's sheer power aside, I think it would be an insult to his character

13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I like @Havoc123 's idea. Luke actually found Darth Krayt on Korriban. He tried to comm the Galactic Alliance and the Jedi, but the One Sith were jamming all of Korriban to prevent transmissions. Desperate to transmit the One Sith headquarters' coordinates, Luke hastily decided to Force project himself from Korriban all the way to the Jedi Temple on Ossus to deliver the message. If you know anything about his canon counterpart, you can guess how well that went.

A projection of Luke showed up at the Jedi Temple for a few seconds and barely got a few words out before it abruptly faded. The Jedi later found Luke's empty robe on Korriban and, with no signs of a struggle, had no idea what happened or what Luke was trying to say.

14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    That doesn't seem appropriate thematically or character wise. No sith lord should ever kill luke skywalker-it just doesn't feel right. Also that seems like that would be the greatest victory and glory of the one sith-"we killed Luke Skywalker" and for all Krayt's patience, and the devotion of his order, that's not an accolade I think they deserve.

15. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Aside from how it was a stupid idea for the novels to bring in Krayt that "early", if the novels had continued and hadn't just run over the Legacy comics' story, my only guess for how things would have played out is that Krayt and the One Sith would have set up a decoy somewhere not Korriban.

Maybe set up a decently powerful darksider with some resemblance to Krayt, brainwash him to say the right lines, give him some Sith artifacts to power him up, maybe throw in some Tribe cannon fodder, lead the Jedi there to have a big flashy battle, let them think "Krayt" is dead then the One Sith slink back into hiding until the Sith-Imperial War.

Or maybe Luke and the NJO are just busy for decades hunting Abeloth and the Tribe Sith. Originally the Legacy comics indicated that the decades after the Vong War were pretty quiet. Of course FotJ ran over that idea multiple times while leaving no way of cleaning up the mess it left behind.

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I guess the decoy option makes sense.

But yes it was a massive problem for the continuity to deal with. My fear would be that if the buyout had not happened Legacy would have been overridden. Denning did say he considered it a possible future after all.

But I keep on going back and asking-there is an eighty year gap-not a five year gap or ten year gap. An eighty year gap. That's longer in IU years than the entire run of the post ROTJ EU. Which went from 4 ABY to 45 ABY. 41 years(with gaps between published novels within).

The EU could have continued for another forty years before that gap had been filled. They said there was no major conflict during that period-problem is you can't have a story without conflict?

How were they planning on filling that timespan?

17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I think in the best case scenario Legacy was doomed either way. If an EU friendly director and screenwriter had been brought on board for Episode 7 and made an EU compliant Sequel Trilogy with dark side Jaina killing Ben Skywalker and running off to lead the First Order, leading Luke to go into hiding and disband the New Jedi Order in grief (with a tie-in novel showing Chewie was alive the whole time as a forgotten Vong prisoner, and found shortly before 7 begins)--let's just say that's about as close to an EU compliant movie you could get, keeping far more fans happy than we have now, and Legacy still would have been overwritten.

But in that hypothetical scenario even the most ardent Legends fan would be happy to sacrifice Legacy to keep the EU going (as opposed to what actually happened). I know I would be.

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    So if the EU had continued Legacy was doomed either way?

Becuase how do you fill in an eighty year gap?

It's one of the biggest unsolved problems at the end of legends, from a writing standpoint.

You have the main cast the big three, their surviving children, a grandchild, their associates, friends and enemies at a point in the narrative where they have endured a lot, lost a lot, but are in relatively good straights.

Legacy is kicked off 82 years from this point.

We know the big three, Jaina, Ben, Allana and all the other characters have to die at some point. The big three especially, they are getting old after all.

How do you have large scale conflicts and not contradict legacy? Also bringing out Krayt is a massive problem from the above mentioned writing perspective-the Jedi should be hunting for him. They should be investigating who he is and where he went once the Abeloth crisis ended.

You also have to deal with Jag becoming emperor-at the end of FOTJ he lets someone else run the remnant while he takes in essence his honeymoon. How does he become emperor? What is the political context of this occurring?

A writer also has to deal with the whole business of Cade's ancestry. Ben's descedant seems sensible but who are we going to pair Ben with? Tahiri? Seha? Jysella? Vestara? And how do we develop his character to that point? Not just Luke's loner son but a confident knight and master in his own right? What challenges can he face?

Allana's character was already being ruined-mysticism and politics surround her future as foreseen, but denning was having her gun down Sith at the age of ten. Apparently without considering how that would impact a ten year old. But how do you handle Allana's character? Hapan politics? A YJK series?

Tahiri-what's left for her to do? Start the IKs? Die? Be a romance interest for Ben?

Crucible leaves so many problems to resolve.

Paradoxically the eighty year gap is both helpful and a problem-it's helpful in that isn't too short a timeframe. Say twenty or thirty years. It also adds some immediacy and stakes in that isn't in 1,030 ABY. If it was the far future it could be contained as its own thing essentially. But chronologically speaking it is relatively close if a whole lifetime worth away.

And characters like Ben and Allana can plausibly be alive in the Legacy era if extremely old.

I keep on going back to this when thinking of the old EU and wondering how to deal with this problem.

19. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    It'd really help if we were given like a small set of cliff-notes of what the post-FOTJ plan was should there have been no Disney buyout, because Legends was doomed the minute Bob Iger and George Lucas signed that contract, let's be real about that, but I'm sure before that happened, plenty at Del Rey had some sort of idea of where to take the storyline after FOTJ.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Maybe somebody with connections or in the know can ask for those cliff notes. I refuse to believe that Legacy would have been thrown under the bus so brazenly.

21. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    You do realize that Luke stood in the heart of Darth Krayt's stronghold and didn't sense a thing.

With over thirty Sith Lords within the immediate vicinity, the Dark Lord of the Sith in their number, Luke Skywalker sensed nothing.

The Dark Side power of Korriban was so strong that the Jedi Grand Master couldn't see through its miasma. That's how the One Sith stayed hidden.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

PCCViking and Daneira like this.
  22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I hated that scene, it was such an obvious fan wink and tease. "We know about Legacy, you do to, let's put the characters less than a hundred yards away from Krayt and co and up the artificial tension"

Anyway the Jedi still should have searched for Krayt, and korriban's dark side aura would if anything make the Jedi more inclined to search the planet.

23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    If the Grand Master couldn't find anything, what makes you think any other Jedi would have any better results? Bring the entire Jedi Order and search the entirety of the Valley of the Dark Lords. With Korriban's Dark Side aura clouding the senses of the Jedi, they would still find nothing but dead ends and false trails. Remember how the Shroud of the Dark Side blinded the Jedi to Palpatine's true identity for over a decade.

GrandMoffTrachta and PCCViking like this.
  24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The Jedi by crucible had developed an attitude of impatience and unremitting hostility to the Sith. Luke especially seems to have had the attitude "I'm tired of this, let's kill them all", Krayt boasts to Luke about his order, implies he might be the dark man(if it wasn't ever outright confirmed to the characters). It seems either extremely OOC or SOD breaking that the Jedi would not hunt for Krayt extensively.

25. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    Keep in mind, Luke had a realization at the end, if I remember right, that both Jedi AND Sith are needed to maintain the balance. So if not killed by Krayt, I assume he just retired, kept the knowledge to himself, and died of old age. Otherwise, I still think Krayt killing him amps up the villainy, and why would he gloat about it? Luke Skywalker's still a hero, and has saved even some Sith AND Imperials. Krayt was hardline and probably one of the worst dictators the Galaxy has ever had, but he was not an idiot. He's a cunning Sith Lord with a plan spanning a century, not Biff Tannen.

Vialco and PCCViking like this.