main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How did Owen and Beru Lars and Obi-Wan Kenobi not recognize C-3PO and R2-D2?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthVist, May 22, 2020.

1. DarthVist

DarthVist Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2019
    In the prequel trilogy, it was shown that they knew them. But in the original trilogy, they don't seem to know who they are.

Darth__Lobot and whostheBossk like this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Most droids come off assembly lines and appear nearly identical. As a rule, people don't pay much attention to droids. They're just high end appliances.

3. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    When you've seen one droid, you've seen them all. :D

4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    well C-3PO had totally different coverings, and they only saw R2 for like a minute in ATOC before he went back to the ship.

and most droids like them looked relatively similar.

5. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    "You all look the same to me"

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Obi-Wan: "I don't seem to remember ever owning a droid."
    R4-P17: "Am I a joke to you?"

7. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    He didn't own that droid though. If your workplace hands you a laptop for work, you don't suddenly own it, even if you use it.

As for the original question: I think this one has been asked and answered about a bazillion times by now ;)
    There really is little reason for them to think that they know these droids. They have been surrounded by plenty of them for years on end, their types are common and all are of the same design with just a little variation in colour. Also, as mentioned above, 3PO had different coverings than he did when the Larses last met him, making it even less likely that they would recognize him. Adding to that, they never get to mention their names to Owen, and Beru never sees them at all.

Obi Wan could perhaps remember such a combination of droids hanging out together, but droids have never been more than devices to him anyway. Not that he definately doesn't know who they are. The glance that Alec Guinness gives upon hearing the story plays very well with him having a hunch who these droids might be. His following answers play right into his act of not telling more than necessary. So whether he recognizes one, both or neither of the droids, his statement that he doesn't remember ever owning a droid remains true.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There are estimates of quadrillions of living beings in GFFA. I'm assuming the droid population might be less, but that could still be trillions of droids, they are all not going to have unique voices and mannerisms.

9. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Be mindful with all SW plot holes .................. you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

10. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    C3PO spends half his time telling people who he is! He has a very distinct identity, so, unless there are lots of posh uptight anglo-droids walking around the back end of nowhere on Tatooine, I think Owen would remember him.

11. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Probably because we know the movies better than Lucas does. :p

12. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    … from a certain point of view. :ben:

14. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    When Uncle Owen buys him from the Jawas, C-3PO never actually introduces himself. Owen asks a couple of questions and buys him. He then tells Luke to take them and get them cleaned up. Luke then leaves with 3PO early to find R2. Owen does not interact with either droid after purchasing them, and since 3PO has different coverings from before, this means he is not aware of 3PO being 3PO.

As far as Obi-Wan is concerned, he is not lying. He never owned R2 or 3PO. He never says he doesn't recognize or remember them. He merely says he doesn't remember owning a droid, which is true. He never owned either one of them, and he was not the owner of R4-P17.

But this is not a plot hole. It's more of a continuity error created by the prequels, but still easily explained away.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  15. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Obi-Wan's answer is pretty careful in that he says he doesn't remember owning R2, which is true. He never owned R2. Personally, I interpret it as he does recognize R2--he even calls R2 his little friend, which is a term of endearment, as if he might associate R2 with his memories of fighting with Anakin in the Clone Wars.

Beru and Owen would barely have met R2 back when Anakin and Padme came to the Lars farm way back in AOTC. It wasn't as if R2 spent a long time at the Lars farm and interacted with them in depth, so it really doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't remember R2 from that brief meeting.

The best argument is that Beru and Owen should've recognized C-3P0 from when C-3PO lived on the Lars farm, and I think that may be regarded as a fair continuity error, but still there are plenty of people that I knew fifteen years ago that I might not recognize if I met face-to-face today. Human memory is not infallible, after all. So it doesn't really bug me that much.

16. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Obi Wan should have been a Jedi lawyer as his truth stretching ability is legendary. :p

ami-padme, IrB, Darth_Diealot and 8 others like this.
  17. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    They were alcoholics. That’s why they didn’t have any children, cause you know, Owen couldn’t ignite his Sabre.

Remember droids? They couldn’t even remember what they had for breakfast.

DarthKegs and christophero30 like this.
  18. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    It would be a fair argument if
    a) Beru ever interacted with the droids (she doesn't)
    b) 3PO looked like he did when he worked for them (he doesn't)

There isn't really any reason for Owen to think that this particular droid could be 3PO, if he even remembered all that much about 3PO in the first place. 3PO doesn't give his name, and he looks completely different from the last time Owen saw him. Owen's behaviour in ANH doesn't exactly suggest that he's the type who cares much about droids outside of them doing work for him either. As you say, remembering someone from 15 years ago can be tricky. And that is even more true when said person would suddenly look completely different.

Jedi Knight Fett, ami-padme and EHT like this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Also, Owen and Beru are about the most "salt of the earth" characters in the entire Saga. Their focus is on running their farm. Even Shmi had thoughts beyond her slavery. Owen and Beru, while they love Luke, are focused on keeping Luke focused. Owen, in particular, is monofocused on the success of their family farm, to the point where he doesn't even have much interest in Luke's future apart from the farm. Droids are tools. And, in that environment, they are tools that probably get burned through rapidly.

Take any two real world tired, worn out, worked to the bone farmers from a poor region and ask them if they can tell that their new tractor is actually the tractor they owned 20 years ago but with an entirely new casing on it.

EHT, ThisIsTheWay, DARTH_BELO and 2 others like this.
  20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I just figured Owen and Beru paid so little attention to their droids (seeing them as mere machines not friends) and probably had so many over the years that after 20 years it would be easy to not recognize 3PO-especially if he was grey when he left them and is now gold. As far as R2, it's entirely possible Obi-Wan did recognize R2 but just didn't tell Luke. Technically he may have been referencing the fact that he never specifically "owned" a droid-since Jedi forbad ownership of possessions-and he was just playing off of that feigned ignorance. Obviously R2 himself didn't see it that way, as he said he belonged to him, R2 clearly knew who he was at least. Also, Obi-Wan did keep plenty of other things from Luke as well, including the fact that R2 was presenting him with a message that was recorded by luke's own sister-and that he was watching it himself and didn't know...That must have been weird for Kenobi really.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  21. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Too much Jawa Juice.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He'd better squeeze those Jawas before breakfast, or there'll be hell to pay.

christophero30 likes this.
  23. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    I recognize that 3PO had new coverings, but his voice seems very distinct to me. Owen lived with 3PO for a while (maybe a few years?) and his voice hadn't changed, so it still seems a bit weird to me.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Owen was so traumatized that he had his mind wiped.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    How many droids did the Lars go through over the decades they farmed on Tatooine? They bought them cheap off Jawas, most probably they were stolen rather than recovered lost in the Jundlasd Wastes like Threepio and Artoo had been.

whostheBossk likes this.