main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How did the Empire build up between ANH-ESB?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Osto, Jan 8, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoenix928

Phoenix928 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 2, 1999
    That's SCARY. REALLY SCARY.

Antilles is great, but he's no politician. He's really not. Not even close. I can see him running a squadron. I can see him blowing up TIEs left and right. I can even see him commanding starships (Even if he and Lando were responsible for getting the Emancipator and Liberator nuked). But Wedge in fancy dress campaigning? Kissing babies, shaking hands, giving speeches? No. Just not happening. Sorry.

2. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    Um... I have to agree that did kind of freak me out for a little bit there. Wedge as President? Yeah...(hesitation)...okay...

ANYWAYS! (but thank you for that commercial break)

Lets find out the winner for Luke's Worst EU Girlfriend
    and the winner is....
    AKANAH! (she really deserves this awardf, IMHO)

Next topic...

Worst EU Plot
    and the nominees are-

~ Crystal Star
    ~ The New Rebellion
    ~ Dark Empire Series
    ~ Jedi Academy Trilogy
    ~ Darksaber
    ~ Children of the Jedi

now I know there are many other would be nominees and I hope no one is offended by the nominees choosen. But really think about this topic. Not worst style of writing worst plot.

We will be back!

Jaded Skywalker, your 2000 EU Awards host cool.gif

3. Jaded Skywalker

Nov 24, 1999
    okay I am going to be selfish and tops this just so people will vote.

4. Jabba_Desilijic_Tiure

Jabba_Desilijic_Tiure Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 27, 2000
    BEST: All of them (Books, comics, games, etc.) Everything is great.

5. lelilajedi

lelilajedi Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2000
    C'mon, did the Crystal Star even have a plot? confused.gif
    what was up with Luke in that, I mean yeah, there was all that stuff about Leia's children being kidnapped but it was soooooo Lame.

6. lelilajedi

Mar 29, 2000
    what was up with Luke in that, I mean yeah, there was all that stuff about Leia's children being kidnapped but it was soooooo Lame.

7. lelilajedi

Mar 29, 2000

8. lelilajedi

Mar 29, 2000

9. Ivanova

Ivanova Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2000
    That's a tough one. My first instinct is to mention Children of the Jedi, since I cringe whenever I hear or see that name. It should never have happened.
    But that's nothing compared to Dark Empire. Children of the Jedi, bad as it was, did not leave a lasting impression on the SW universe, so therefore it is easy to pretend it never happened. Dark Empire, however, is the story that never should have happened. I would love to pretend it never happened, but the whole bit with Luke turning Dark Side has made a pretty large impact on his character in many of the novels that took place after it. It is given so much importance that anyone who reads KJA's first book in the Jedi Academy series without knowing this is confused in the first chapter.
    In light of this, my vote has to go to Dark Empire

10. angelhart

angelhart Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2000
    Worst Plot? Dark Empire.

11. SilverSabre

SilverSabre Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 1999
    I'd have to say Crystal Star. So, the Solo kids get kidnapped. Couldn't they have done it in a better way? And the whole Waru thing. Freaked me out. I had nightmares about him.......

12. Jaded Skywalker

Nov 24, 1999
    Okay we are back and the votes have been tallied up! This one was close. Very close. I thought a tie breaker was going to be needed but someone put in a last minute vote.

And the winner for Worst EU Plot goes to-

Dark Empire Series!

We will also have to give Crystal Star an applause for loss of originality. (new cat? hmmm.) It came in a close second.

and now the next category-

Best EU Cover
    (there are a lot so it was REALLY hard to narrow it down)

~Vector Prime
    ~Hero's Trial
    ~Vision of the Future
    ~Planet of Twilight
    ~Children of the Jedi
    ~Shadow's of the Empire
    ~I,Jedi

We will be back!

Jaded Skywalker

13. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I'd have to go with Hero's Trial. It intrigues me. Who are those people? Plus, it looks darker and grittier than the Star Wars we are used to.

14. SilverSabre

SilverSabre Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 1999
    Ah, yes. This one is difficult for me. I'm gonna have to agree with skawookie and say Agents of Chaos 'cause the artwork is really great and it definitely has a different tone than previous covers, although the Barbara Hambly covers were great, too.

15. Keiran Halcyon

Keiran Halcyon Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2000
  16. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Well, out of the nominations you gave us to vote for: my vote goes to Shadows of the Empire.

But my favorite, and the best in my opinion, cover is: The Truce at Bakura. If I could vote for it, there would go my vote.

17. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    Well, out of the nominations you gave us to vote for: my vote goes to Shadows of the Empire.

But my favorite, and the best in my opinion, cover is: The Truce at Bakura. If I could vote for it, there would go my vote.

18. Jaded Skywalker

Nov 24, 1999
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by junio:

Sorry. Although the Truce at Bakura's cover was great it lacked the creativity needed to be a nomination. Sorry again.

Jaded Skywalker

19. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    No X-wing novels? Oh well. I, Jedi. That's my choice and I'm stickin to it.

20. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    It's either SotE or I, Jedi for me (why is VP and CotJ up there and TftNR isn't? That cover rocked!).

I'd have to go with Shadows of the Empire. Anything with Vader is very eye-catching.

21. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    It's ok, JadedSkywalker... but The Truce at Bakura is still my favorite cover, thought I voted for Shadows, because out of the nominated books, it's the best.

22. kresie

kresie Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 1999
    I, Jedi all the way.

23. Rebel Jedi

Rebel Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 1999
    Actually, my favorite was probably Isard's Revenge or Starfighters of Adumar. But out of the nominees I'll be wild and pick Vector Prime. I thought that was pretty cool.

[This message has been edited by Rebel Jedi (edited 04-08-2000).]

24. Ivanova

Ivanova Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2000
    This is a tough one. Out of what's listed, as intriguing as the cover is, I can't vote for Agents of Chaos. I am somewhat into symbolism, and I like to see how well the covers go with the content in the book. Since Agents of Chaos is not yet released, I don't know how well the plot meshes with the cover art, so I can't consider it.

I would love to vote for I, Jedi, but I have a few problems with it, mostly subjective. I know that Corran has blond hair for the majority of this book, but I still wish he'd been shown with brown hair. I don't feel I've seen a quintessential official Corran picture yet, and I would've loved to see it on this cover, but he doesn't have his natural hair color. One of the laser tips is missing on one of the X-Wings. And, last but not least, I wish Luke weren't on the cover.

Luke is more of a sketch in the background. It appears that he is hovering in the background of Corran, like he is watching over him or something. Yes, I know he more or less does that, and it can also be symbolic of Corran's journey towards Jedihood, but the romantic in me says that Mirax should be pictured in this position instead of Luke. She is always somewhere in Corran's thoughts, and it would just be so right if she was there.

This is why I have to vote for Children of the Jedi. I absolutely loathe the book, and can't stand Callista, but this was done. She is in the background, watching over Luke. This fits even more so because all she had left was her spirit, and it looks kind of like a spirit is hovering over him. I also have to admit that Luke is looking really good in this cover, and I love Han's grin.

25. angelhart

angelhart Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2000
    Vector Prime had a great cover. The aged Luke, the creepy Vong, the greens/blues/purples, and the flames reaching up and engulfing the New Republic's emblem. I'm gonna have to vote for that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.