main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How did the Stormtroopers not fire upon one another on the Tantive IV?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by April1865, Dec 15, 2018.

1. April1865

April1865 Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2017
    How exactly did the Stormtroopers who boarded the Tantive IV not engage in friendly fire as they came through such a narrow passageway? Any thoughts/explanations would be appreciated!

2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Same way soldiers in our world handle a firefight through a narrow passageway — shoot when possible and don’t aim at the person in front of you/wearing your color.

teamhansolo likes this.
  3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    In close quarters (CQ) battle, every soldier has an assigned sector to scan and eliminate any threats in. If executed properly it properly avoids shooting each other.

April1865 likes this.
  4. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Rebels and stormtroopers are not exactly hard to tell apart visually, probably unlike real-life soldiers where both sides often wear similar color uniforms, right? What I find much harder to believe is how the two droids managed not to get hit when they walked right through a heavy blaster fight. Hero bonus I guess. But I would have preferred that they had made that scene more plausible, or left it out. They could just have waited a few more seconds and the fight might have moved on to a different area or one side would have won and the firing stopped. But of course it's SW, and many things don't make sense.

5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    You obviously discount the effects of the adrenaline that run though a persons veins as they are about to enter into a confined space with people trying to kill you.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe their helmets have Head Up Displays which automatically outline all fellow stormtroopers in green, for safety purposes?

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  7. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    You certainly have a lot of questions about this battle (looking at all the threads you have started) haha

:cool:

8. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Well, I'm sure there was a lot of anxiety on both sides in the battle. Still, stormtroopers are highly trained and efficient soldiers, plus they hugely outnumbered the handful of Rebels, the ship itself was captured within their own star destroyer, their leader was a powerful Sith lord. So I don't think they really were that afraid of the enemy, at least not to the point where they panicked and killed other stormtroopers by accident. In fact I have never seen a stormtrooper panic in all the OT, even when captured by Rebels or on Bespin. They always seem to be pretty calm and clear-thinking, though at times a little clumsy.

9. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    In reality, they would have probably shot each other. "Fire and maneuver" is very important in Army Basic, making sure one fires to cover the advancement of another, and to not run into your buddie's field of fire. Watching it now, I cringe at how unprofessional it is, but it's no worse than all the firing from the hip lol

Sarge likes this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The droids are obviously not built for combat, they're unarmed, and they're not making any aggressive moves toward either side. That makes them very low priority for both groups of soldiers, who are focused on the enemies which are heavily armed and shooting at them. If I had been there, I'd ignore the droids and keep shooting at the enemies shooting back at me too. It's just self-preservation.

BlackRanger and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  11. April1865

April1865 Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2017
    Is that necessarily a bad thing? I think it warrants it. It's an underrated battle in my opinion. But I will cease, I don't mean to spam this forum with further questions on the same topic.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Not at all... I wasn't having a go at you (hence the "cool" face at the end) I think it's awesome when people watch these films and get so into them they have a million questions! It's great.

BlackRanger and April1865 like this.
  13. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Well, it's like Obi-Wan Kenobi said... "Only Imperial Stormtroopers could be so precise." And if you can't trust a Jedi, then who can we trust?! ;)