main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How did you imagine Anakin to be like before the prequels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AshiusX, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    The absolute honest truth? I didn't imagine him at all, maybe just some very vague ideas of some idealistic-type "superhero" who was a superior warrior and pilot but somehow turned evil and betrayed his master. Pretty much what Ben told Luke, nothing much beyond that. Frankly, during the OT era I didn't much care about what came before or after.
    I never really anticipated the prequels much, but when TPM did come out I had at least some minor interest in SW again. That changed with AOTC when I personally actually experienced a more solid comeback of SW. Watching it was pretty much the first time ever that I thought "yes, this guy could actually convince me to pull off the future Vader character". I wasn't disappointed and therefore was much more hyped for ROTS than I ever was for TPM or AOTC.
    Strange, the movie I was least interested in and least hyped for, AOTC, ended up becoming my favorite prequel. Maybe having zero expectations can be a good thing?

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  2. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    I imagined someone with his reputation to be a little ... older.

Actually, I'm serious. I pictured someone in their 30's.

3. paradigmes

paradigmes Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 9, 2021
    I imagine him to be the best star pilot in the Galaxy, a cunning warrior, and a good friend.

4. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Me too.

For my fellow gamers, I think I pictured someone with vibes like Jecht from Final Fantasy X. Someone kind of hard and rugged, but with a good heart.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  5. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I honestly had no assumptions on how Anakin would be in the Prequel Trilogy. In fact, I had no idea on what kind of story that Lucas would tell. All I knew was that the PT would spell the downfall of Anakin, the Jedi and the Republic.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  6. Tom Skywalker

Tom Skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2020
    I think for most people, he was only Darth Vader. A despicable villain.
    No need to think about Anakin at all, beyond his appearance at the end of RotJ.

PrincessLeia17 likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I imagined he had a decent haircut like Sebastian Shaw, not like a trailer park alpha male.

8. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    The short Padawan haircut doesn't exactly suit Hayden, I think. I find his long hair as a full Jedi Knight much more attractive, rather like Luke's shaggy 1970s blond mane, something which Lucas always envisioned and which we see in all of Ralph McQuarrie's concept art (in contrast to Leia's several different hair colors and hairstyles).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
  9. AnarchistMando

AnarchistMando Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2021
    David prowse looks so much closer to Hayden Christensen then he has any right to be (may he rest in peace)

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I first imagined Anakin when I was in high school, when I first found out the PT was being made and what it would cover, story wise.

That said, I imagined Anakin much like he was in ROTS, at least from a visual standpoint; a blue lightsaber (obviously), a dark-colored outfit (I actually imagined black), the longer hair like he has in ROTS, etc. Personality-wise, I imagined Anakin as very serious and ambitious, great with mechanics and an amazing pilot (kind of like Luke in this way).

The only thing for me that turned out differently is I imagined Anakin a bit older-like closer to how old Obi-Wan was in the PT, or at least maybe about 7 or 8 years younger. I didn't really anticipate the whole "padawan vs. master" thing until TPM came out. I saw Anakin and Obi-Wan as mostly friends and fellow Jedi Knights who went on missions together, after Obi-Wan trained him.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
  11. PrincessLeia17

PrincessLeia17 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 8, 2023
    I envisioned him as being more big, masculine and intimidating. Also less whiny. More older and mature, just angry inside.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
    Jedi_Jade-Skywalker and Sarge like this.
  12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I was too young to have anything beyond a very vague "good guy when younger" idea; I was born in 1990, probably only really grasped the general story of the OT by the time I was 6 or 7, and TPM came out in when I was 9. Kid Anakin was fine for me, and by the time AOTC came out, I was already a budding "leak hunter" so I wasn't shocked at his portrayal in AOTC.

Like... I was so young and understood the OT so "late" that it took me a while to realize the Old Guy from "just Star Wars" was the Obi-Wan Kenobi I'd first really clocked on a soda pop can before enjoying TPM.

13. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I kind of pictured ROTS Anakin.

PrincessLeia17 likes this.
  14. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    I thought it was mistake to show Anakin as a 10 yr old. They wasted a film that could have established a great friendship and chemistry between Anakin & Obi-Wan. I remember at the time the different actors that were brought up by fans on who could play Anakin. I was hoping for either Chris Klein or Barry Pepper. Klein was known for American Pie so maybe the audience would have a hard time accepting him as a lead. I thought he had the size to be imposing yet his soft voice would have been a nice contrast to what would eventually be Darth Vader. Barry Pepper had an intensity to him that you could see in Saving Private Ryan but I think his best performance was in *61. He portrayed a sensitive and conflicted Roger Maris who was always second fiddle to fan favorite Mickey Mantle.

I was hoping to see a great friendship that fell apart but what we got didn't work for me. Anakin & Obi-Wan didn't feel like friends not the way Han & Luke, Chirrut & Baze, or Poe & Finn. They said they were friends but I didn't buy it.

Sarge likes this.
  15. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    ...Okay, this is just a goofy "Alt-80's PT" joke based off a "gag reel" from Bounty Hunter...

...But I did find the idea of a young Clancy Brown playing Vader as that gag reel joked intriguing.

Megazord likes this.
  16. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I pictured him as Sebastian Shaw, even had both toys of him (regular and ghost version) when I was a kid in the nineties. I didn’t think much about his backstory back then, though. So when the prequels came out, it wasn’t hard to switch that mental image to Hayden Christensen.

In recent years I’ve looked back more on the making of the original trilogy, though, and I read about how Lucas also considered reaching out to more renown actors like Laurence Olivier and John Gielgud. These actors, like Shaw I imagine, do seem to fit the idea of an older Anakin, someone closer to Alec Guiness’s style of acting compared to the modern actors we saw in the prequels.

Picturing either of these actors or Shaw as an older Jedi Knight alongside Guiness makes for an interesting alternate universe that is fun to imagine, but I loved Lucas’s final choice too.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
    BlackRanger likes this.
  17. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I imagined him to be like a younger version of Rutger Hauer's character in Ladyhawke. Blonde, fierce, passionate, badass, dressed in black, etc.

BlackRanger, Sauron_18 and Sarge like this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I find it interesting how many people thought Obi-Wan was telling the truth about Anakin being a “good friend” but not about Vader being “young”.

19. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I imagined Anakin to be similar to basically a light side Darth Malgus before the prequels. Figured he was a good guy that Sidious Palpatine actually took, like, two decades to turn to the dark side. While Palpatine does groom Anakin from age 10 to age 23, and just to be clear I mean he's grooming him like a mobster or a psychological criminal would an apprentice, I thought it would take the Dark Lord manipulating him from age, like, 17 to age 35ish or even 40.

I just pictured Vader and Sidious as much older than they turned out to be. That's a common thread, I've noticed, amongst friends I met in elementary and middle school. I thought Sidious as Emperor was not even human. I thought he was, like, 90 or 140 or something. Vader himself I thought was, like, 70. It's mainly due to the fact that I as a kid didn't understand how the dark side corrodes the flesh like a narcotic. I mean, us 10-year-olds may not necessarily pick up on that, especially if some of us are lucky enough to see our family members live to be age 90 and look quite fab. So, that was my take in the mid-1990s. As a kid, though, I was fascinated and kind of scared. I was like, "How in the world could a good guy like Anakin be corrupted by this evil darksider?"

But as I got older, I began to see Palpatine as more Hitler-like: less imposing and more insidious and vile. As a villain should be, ya know? Whereas I saw Anakin as a more complex, multifaceted man who had both flaws and virtues.

But, yeah. The Malgus analogy is pretty straightforward. I didn't know who Malagus was until, like, 2013. I figured he had once been a good man who was pretty pro-alien or something but got corrupted by the dark side. This was before I read his book to see that he was a dark side Qui-Gon. I figured that Anakin must have lost a family member or something...something seriously terrible...before Palpy lied to him and took him under his wing. But that's kid logic. As adults, we learned that Sidious just had to push Anakin. Lucas showed us that Anakin's greed was part of his downfall as much as Sidious' teachings. Yes, Anakin loved Padme, but he was also kinda obsessed with her, and Palpatine used that to his advantage.

But, yeah. I just called Sidious a groomer. He is in the same way that Jack Nicholson's character is in that 2006 gangster movie. Crime doesn't pay.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    Watcherwithin likes this.
  20. Megazord

Megazord Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2023
    When the prequels were coming out, I had just started watching horror movies. I imagined Anakin at the time of his turn looking disheveled like the possessed James Brolin in The Amityville Horror. (Pic)