main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST how different do you think a Lucas ST would've been?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthfettus2015, Nov 1, 2020.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I find the debate interesting because I think there's clearly supposed to be a similar impetus and broad description of the two scenes... but there's some radically different and important details that make the tie between the two scenes much weaker than I think Johnson thinks they're supposed to be.

In ROTJ, Luke is in the middle of a duel in the middle of a battle in the middle of a war, against an enemy deliberately trying to provoke him via physical and mental assaults, and still requires an explicit threat against his sister later on in the fight, a sister he was previously sure was being kept hidden, before he reacts by nearly giving into the dark side. It's a high stress situation where the "instinctual" nature of his aggression makes perfect sense as a response to external stimulus.

In contrast, Luke in TLJ is getting up in the middle of the night at his school during peacetime, deliberately sneaking quietly into his nephews room and deliberately reaching into his mind, before taking the physical actions of drawing and igniting his saber over a then-sleeping nephew. It's a low stress situation that, as someone once pointed out, doesn't really qualify as "instinctual" at all and is a series of active steps taken by him devoid of any external stimulus (at that time.)

As consecutive moments in a fictional character arc, the arrangement is highly unusual and counterintuitive, at minimum: while real live humans have been known to suffer major impromptu "relapses" with their personal flaws, fictional arcs by their very nature try to mature and develop characters away from previous characterizations - even flaws develop into different issues in a logical manner.

That "narrative causality" behind characterization isn't consistent with Luke's actions in the hut incident.

I think it's an event that relies more on an audience member choosing to go along with the move rather than flowing naturally from the previous story, and it definitely crashes into problems with the more securely supported interpretations of the character in the OT that TLJ critics have.

That's not to say that it's entirely impossible to connect a strong OT interpretation to TLJ... but it's going to be an unbalanced interpretation where the OT will carry a lot more water than TLJ does.

And since I just saw your Cobra Kai reference, @jaimestarr and I LOVE that show :D... I'd say a difference between TLJ Luke and Season One Daniel is that there's a lot more groundwork done in the show to make his newer flaws believable, and the fundamental core of the character is a quite bit more present.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  2. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    The problem is that the preamble to the incident and in fact the previous 30 years of Luke's life are missing pieces of the puzzle. We have no idea what has shaped or formed Luke and his motives in the preceding years. Rian Johnson imagined a series of events and arrived, in my opinion, at a feasible and believable portrayal of Luke Skywalker's life at that time period, but he does ask for some faith from the viewer to cross that rather large chasm from one iteration to the other with him. Many fans aren't willing to do that, which is their prerogative.

3. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    And I'd argue that a writer in a multi-work story needs to build a narrative bridge to cross that chasm, and that Johnson, who I generally think may have had a shallow view of the plot of Star Wars while having a deep love of the craftsmanship, didn't see his take on Luke as radical as it actually was.

And I think when you do that, accusations of not understanding or incorrectly writing the character are totally justified.

4. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    I don't believe that Rian's take on Luke is that radical, nor do I consider it to be incorrect. I am in agreement that there is much missing context that would make the transition less jarring, but I don't agree with the absolute conclusions that determine "This is not Luke Skywalker".

5. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    That's kind of what I was getting at, if I put it the wrong way; the door is opened to subjective arguments that have more to do with how radical (or not) you consider the take on Luke, rather than the fictional scaffolding designed to carry the story to that point.

Basically, both viewpoints ("This is totally Luke!" vs "This can't be Luke!") have equal standing, rather than the former opinion being carried to a position of stronger strength via covering the transition better, where at minimum you could more concretely argue about the "arithmetic" of the characterization, rather than the "absolute value" of the characterization.

(Somewhere a mathematician is crying at that painful metaphor, but I'm a Social Studies teacher, so I don't care.:p)

Excellent scaffolding can do just about anything with a character - see: Cobra Kai managing to make Miguel go to the dark side at Season One's End but still be a sympathetic character not that far away from becoming more heroic again in Season 2 - while serviceable scaffolding can at least shore up the concept to plausibility, if not the execution - see: Anakin and Padme's romance in AOTC and ROTS.

A lack of scaffolding risks "out-of-character" or "in-name-only" accusations having serious weight, because the ties that bind the character arc together become entirely about how the audience views the outcome, rather than the journey there.

For instance, as bad as the execution is of Padme and Anakin getting together is, the scaffolding is serviceable enough that multiple POVs can find purchase in the explanation (as to whether its genuine love, a mistaken infatuation, etc.) and the overall story's output holds together well. In stark contrast, there is very little scaffolding supporting Rey and Kylo's interactions in TLJ, making the judgement base more around whether or not the audience finds Kylo convincingly sympathetic or not, and it's often horribly outweighed by the substance of the previous film making it a biased farce to accept.

6. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    I was going to use a Cobra Kai analogy regarding Chozen's first reappearance in 30 years and being a completely different character.

jaimestarr likes this.
  7. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    And even with Chozen, I'd argue there's more scaffolding there, simply because his last appearance ended with him humbled and defeated; a radical change form that point makes more sense.

"Why am I not a jerk any more? Because when I was a jerk, I got my ass kicked" simply flows better than "Why did I sneak into my nephew's room, read his sleeping mind, pull a weapon on him, than freak out and let fascists murder billions, including my best friend?... Because time has passed since it took substantially more to make me freak out in a totally different way when I was younger and more immature."

AusStig and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  8. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Chozen was defeated, but there was nothing in the character or situation at the end of KKII that suggested he would be humbled by that defeat, which made the character change in CK something of a (great btw) twist and surprise for the viewer. Indeed, of all Daniel's opponents, his (and Sato's) clinging to "honour" made the prospect of a grudge being held for 30 years all the more expected. But I digress...

I don't follow the BIB ?

9. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think I was trying to communicate how much each individual act on Luke's part seems dubious as an action ROTJ Luke would pull, in part because the character had reached resolution for his plot arc under much more intense circumstances with different priorities.

I mean, one significant area where I think TLJ is splashing around in the deep end without a life guard compared to Lucas's work is when the guy who was fiercely protective of his family and merciful to them, all arguably to a fault and definitely to the extent of it being a vulnerability... yet TLJ insists he doesn't have that same vulnerability towards Ben when he walks into his Hut.

Now, I don't see that as entirely unfounded as a reaction... but I do find that it would lend itself far more intuitively to Luke having no remaining patience or mercy for Ben when he wakes up and finds he's started fulfilling those dark dreams if they were dark enough, and Luke cynical and twitchy enough, to trigger Luke in the first place.

Like... if you'd argue he's dark enough to violate a family members privacy and pull a weapon on him in the dead of night, it doesn't really follow that you think he's still too heroic and self-sacrificing to not get vengeful for the deaths of his students or Han. The film can't make up its mind about how cynical it wants Luke to be.

10. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    How is this remotely similar. And who said people don't change. Not every change is the same. You are comparing a Japanese teenager who lost a karate fight and 30 years later is actually a human, as if that's something strange, with Luke's character assassination.

11. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Disagree. When Luke peered into Ben's mind he was subjected to horrors and atrocities. Remember, Jedi can see/feel/experience possible future events in real time.

Luke says, "I saw darkness. I'd sensed it building in him. I'd see it at moments during his training. But then I looked inside... and it was beyond what I ever imagined. Snoke had already turned his heart. He would bring destruction, and pain, and death... and the end of everything I love because of what he will become. And for the briefest moment of pure instinct... I thought I could stop it."

So, while Luke wasn't physically in a battle/war. He's an astral traveling space wizard and he most definitely was in a "high stress" situation once he peered into Ben's mind and saw he was already corrupted by the Jedi's rival, the greatest evil, the dark side. Perhaps, RJ should have spoon fed the audience exactly what Luke experienced/saw.

I suspect that you are less invested in Chozen than you are in Luke Skywalker. The difference between these changes/shifts in characterization are not as different as you suggest.

Consider, you are very general with your description of Chozen metaphor and very specific with your description of Luke. I also think you are focusing on Luke at the wrong moment of time. Luke's character is still traditional/heroic/Jedi master Luke when his temple is destroyed.

IMO Luke's would be: "Why am I not an optimistic, hopeful hero, willing to dash into battle to save the day?" "Because I've spent my entire adult life fighting this cyclical/never ending battle against the dark side. The cost has been horrible personal (and galactic) tragedies and the cycle hasn't ended. I am no longer going to be a part of the problem."

12. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    For me, the correlation between the two scenes is not in Luke being influenced by extraordinary circumstances as opposed to being at peace in the middle of the night. The correlation comes from Luke having the stark realization of how closely and how quickly he came to the dark side, albeit while being provoked, and seeing how quickly and easily Ben gravitates toward the dark side in normal situations. It scared Luke when it happened to him under duress, so it has him completely horrified to see it in Ben under normal circumstances and situations.

jaimestarr and Lobot's Wig like this.
  13. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    It is similar in the respect that both characters have not been seen for 30 years and who, when they were brought back to the screen, were somewhat different characters than they were in their first iteration based on their interim, fictional life experiences. It seems to be that this however is not an acceptable change for Luke, despite the similar gaps in backstory where any such changes could have quite feasibly occurred, without that being strange either.

14. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    That's simply not true. The old Gary Kurtz interviews about their original plans for the sequels shows that there were plans for the prequels going far back as ESB/ANH.

wobbits likes this.
  15. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Of course it's not acceptable for Luke. You are comparing apples to oranges. Two very different characters that went through two different changes on screen, one of which is not believable.

What necessitates for me to accept any depiction of a character that changed after 30 years, just because I accept the one that was shown in Cobra Kai?

I really do NOT understand this struggle from people who thought Mark Hamill was ok in TLJ to have everyone accept the change is plausible.

I wish it weren't that way, but for me it's just never going to be plausible.

2Cleva, AusStig, ChildOfWinds and 2 others like this.
  16. Lobot's Wig

Dec 13, 2020
    Of course it is plausible, even if the characterisation is not to your liking. It isn’t like he transformed into a giant Sarlacc and changed his name to Kevin. He was simply depicted as a man who had become disillusioned with and had rejected his previous philosophy due to what he perceived as a personal failure and a betrayal of the trust his sister had placed in him with her son. Very plausible in my opinion.

whostheBossk and jaimestarr like this.
  17. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    =D= JW Rinzler's "The Making of Star Wars : Return of the Jedi" has a section in it from July of 1981 where George sits down in person and lays out the backstory of Anakin for Kasdan, Marquand and Kazanjian. Script writing didn't begin until 1994.

This excerpt from an interview Lucas did with Empire Magazine in September 1999 clearly shows that the PT was always on the table. He needed a break, he needed technology to advance. I have never seen anything that reported him saying there would never be more films until an interview he did in 2012.

"At the end of nine years of making Star Wars, I was not ready to continue it. I was completely burned out on it. I was more passionate about raising my kids than making movies and especially making Star Wars. So I made other kinds of movies and TV shows and advanced the technology I needed.

My passion is for filmmaking. I'll go and do filmmaking that is easier to do, where you can realise your ideas better. And nine years is a big part of your life, and to commit to another nine years, I didn't wanna do that right away."

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  18. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Yes, but after 1983 and Return of the Jedi, George Lucas said numerous times that he was done with Star Wars. It wasn't a planned hiatus. He was burnt out. That's why many elements from a proposed 3rd trilogy were folded into ROTJ, etc. It was only after the digital FX revolution T2/Jurassic Park that George Lucas dipped his toes in the water (Young Indy) and decided that he would, indeed, return to Star Wars.

Odd that you say the PT was always on the table, and the provide quotes with Lucas stating that this wasn't necessarily the case. Again, after 1983 it was NOT a definite that he'd do more Star Wars films. So, that's not "always on the table" is it?

In any event, George Lucas most definitely created the OT to be able to stand on it's own without a PT. Yes, thankfully, he was renewed, found inspiration, technology, and such to do another trilogy. Yet, the suggestion that Lucas created the OT in some incomplete manner to be "finished" or "completed" by the PT is simply incorrect. Again. It was NEVER guaranteed that George Lucas was ever going to do more Star Wars.

19. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I didn't make the suggestion that he created the OT in an "incomplete manner to be finished or completed by the PT." The ideas/loose drafts with some solid detail for the PT were always there. Pretty sure the words " I didn't want to do it right away" don't mean it was never going to happen which is how your post came across.

20. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Perhaps you should go back and look at the origin/reason for my response. I wasn't talking to you initially. I was responding to this:
    This is simply incorrect. Lucas didn't have "plans to fill gaps (in the OT) with the PT." Fact is, after 1983, Lucas had no plans to go back to Star Wars. Eventually, he changed his mind.

21. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    The movies were literally released as episode 5 and 6.
    Lucas planned to eventually make the prequels since 1980.
    Why are we even discussing this?

wobbits and AusStig like this.
  22. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Because some of this historical revision, including what you are saying, is incorrect.

After ROTJ, Lucas was not "on pause" or "taking a break." After 1983, Lucas was done with Star Wars. It wasn't a forgone conclusion that he was ever going to make the prequels. Therefore, it was a BIG deal when he announced that he was, indeed, going to make more Star Wars films.

Now, like a lot of things, he may have revised his story and told us that "The Tragedy of Darth Vader" was always the plan, or he was "waiting for technology to catch up" yet this was not always the case, nor what he stated at the time.

Again, to the initial point: if a person says that Lucas created the OT always having the intention to do the PT to "fill in gaps", that person is incorrect. Fact is, yes, Lucas had a backstory he developed when creating the OT, he also had some semblance of plans for sequels. However, for all intents and purposes the OT was designed to stand on it's own without needing additional prequels/sequels.

Again, Lucas didn't know if he'd ever get to making Prequels or Sequels.

23. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    No, what I said was not incorrect. ESB was released in the movie theaters as Episode V.
    If you release a movie in 1980 with the title Episode V, it means you are planning to do Episodes I, II and III at some point.
    Whether you get to do it eventually, might depend on a lot of factors, but the plan was clearly to do the first three movies at some point.
    Otherwise he wouldn't have added V to ESB and VI to ROTJ.

You're just assuming he was done with Star Wars. Clearly, he wasn't.

I don't really pay attention to these claims, nor do I find them important. I never understood why people get all riled up about what Lucas says anyway.

No one can predict the future, correct. But he definitely planned to make the prequels.

24. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Agreed. I never understood that either, especially considering Lucas has contradicted himself repeatedly about a great many things when it comes to Star Wars.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  25. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Clearly you are a bit unclear in the developmental history of the Star Wars saga, or don't understand the creative process that these films went through. He didn't have it all mapped out, he didn't know for certain that he'd ever make films beyond ROTJ, and he certainly didn't design the OT with gaps to be filled in by a PT.

I'm not assuming. George Lucas has quoted as saying he didn't know if he'd get around to doing them. It wasn't set in stone. Having a story and planning to make the films are two different tasks. There was a long stretch post ROTJ where Star Wars was done. George Lucas wasn't interested in Star Wars anymore and fans thought he was done. This very similar to how things were after 2005 and Revenge of the Sith. According to Lucas there was "no story" and "no plans" for anything beyond Episodes 1-6. Then, as he's known to do, he changed his mind.

Obviously.

You are simply wrong. He hadn't always planned to make them. If you would do a bit of research ( or were perhaps a bit older) you'd know this was the case. Thanks for the discourse.