main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST how different do you think a Lucas ST would've been?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthfettus2015, Nov 1, 2020.

1. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Ah, now I finally understand what you were trying to say. I definitely wanted X-wings and TIE fighters to return in the ST, my disappointment is that they weren't interested in offering anything else. It's annoying just playing the newest Battlefront where you go from an Empire map where you've got TIE Fighters, TIE Interceptors and TIE Bombers, to a First Order map where your options are TIE Fighter and TIE Fighter(red stripe). I'm also not really a fan of the new capitol ship designs and I think in general the execution of the battle scenes in the ST leave a bad taste in my mouth. So yeah, it's fair to say my favorite scene in the entire ST is the shot of the X-Wings skimming in over the water on Takodana, I understand the feelings that particular ship can generate, I just wish I could get more out of watching the whole trilogy than I do from just watching that TFA trailer, as great as those 5 seconds are.

darkspine10 and jaimestarr like this.
  2. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    If that is what you think. If you think copying is the best thing they can do I have nothing more to say to you. Since we come at Star Wars from different views.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  3. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    1. I am not sure why my quote is snipped.
    2. I see you amended your original post. I am sorry if you think I am not addressing your points.
    3. I never said that I think "copying is the best thing they can do."
    4. I am not sure we see Star Wars so differently. I just think we could explain our POV's more clearly.
    5. Sorry for all the numbers.

4. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Cause I don't see a point responding to each of your points, since I view any continued conversation with you as pointless.

Thank you for the apologises.

You have said you just wanted more X-wings and Tie Fighters, you said you didn't want a change in design for each trilogy. You just want more of the OT.

I didn't grow up with the OT, neither did my generation. To many people Star Wars is a much the Clone Wars and Jedi as it Rebels and X-Wings. You don't view it like that. You view Star Wars as ONLY the ST. Anything that goes away from that isn't Star Wars. That is your view and experience, that's fine, but it's not universal.

5. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    When responding to you, I have included your points in a quote and responded accordingly. If you view this back and forth manner as pointless, I cannot change that. How would you like me to respond to your points? As I said, I have included your points in quotes before each response. As I have here.

Not exactly.

I noted that, with the PT trilogy, George Lucas made a concentrated effort to move away from the visual language/aesthetic/design/look he established with the OT.

While I personally like the look of the PT, and understand Lucas's reasoning for the departure, I also really enjoyed that the ST got back to the more iconic visual language/aesthetic/design/look of the OT.

To me, it's not a zero sum game when it comes to the OT, PT, and ST. As a SW fan, I am having my cake and eating it too.

I didn't grow up with Jimi Hendrix. I grew up with Prince.

Though I like Prince's guitar playing better than Hendrix, I recognize that Jimi Hendrix was/is more iconic, impactful, and influential/ when it comes to guitar than Prince. Objectively speaking, Hendrix is a more iconic as a guitar player than Prince.

I fully recognize that the PT is awesome and kicks ass. Yet, objectively speaking, it's not more iconic than the OT.

Also, do you speak for your entire generation? Home video/dvd was well established when you grew up. You didn't watch the OT at home when you were growing up? Do you think this was the case for everyone in "your generation*"?

Anecdotally, I know people that grew up on the OT (and PT) both. The younger people are, the less of a distinction they seem to make between trilogies.

1. You are severely misunderstanding me if you think that's the case. Revenge of the Sith is my favorite film of all time.
    2. I never said that I view Star Wars as only the ST (or the OT). Are you putting words in my mouth?
    3. All Star Wars is valid in my eyes despite what my preferences are. Hell, I'm literally watching Visions as I type this and am loving the different interpretations.
    4. You seem to be accusing me of being blinded by "OT nostalgia" when viewing Star Wars. Yet, isn't this kinda what you are doing with the PT?

I'm not sure why this is directed at me. I never said anything that "goes away from (The OT) isn't Star Wars."

I said that the design/aesthetic/visuals of the OT is more iconic, more recognizable, more impactful to our world/culture than that of the PT.

That's not a condemnation of the quality of the PT, but an objective look at Star Wars place in our world culture.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  6. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I would like to NOT respond to me.

Except for when you put words in my mouth.

Sounds to me like you are trying to twist your own words.

Forgive if I find this hard to believe given your past comments in defence of the ST at the expense of the PT and OT.

Once agin putting words in my mouth.

I can only speak for myself and people I know. Though I will say this, the popularity of TCW was enough to get it revived after 6 seasons, while Rebels got 4 and Resistance got 2.

1. I do not pretend to know your mind, I only read your words.
    2. Since you said the PT was a step away from Star Wars and the ST was a return to it, the inference is that the OT, from with the ST takes a lot, IS Star Wars. No I just telling you that not eveyone shares your views.
    3. ok.
    4. I have never said it was superior to the OT or the only kind of Star Wars. I have not said that Star Wars needs to be more like the PT. I might be affected by nostalgia, but not to the same level as you.

You said exactly that though.

As to the rest, well I disagree.

7. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    @AusStig

I don't know what to tell you. At this point, I feel like things are focused much more on the messenger, instead of the message.
    I'm trying to be as earnest as possible in my conversations with you. I am legitimately trying to engage in a back and forth with you and I am not sure where things are going sideways. I apologize for any crossed wires.

For clarification..... You say this:

And then you proceed to respond to each and every thing I am saying.

If you want me to address your points, let me know. If we've reached an impasse and you don't want to engage....I'm cool with that as well. The final word can be yours.

Lastly, I want to remind you that you can alway hit the ignore button on me in your profile. Take care.

8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    TCW and TFU succesfully helped the PT since were made to rehabilitate the PT by Lucas and bridge the PT to the OT and eventually his ST. But they would not come out until well after the PT had wrapped up.

jaimestarr likes this.
  9. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    The PT changed Star Wars from it's release. When people think of "jedi" look they don't think of Luke in RotJ they think of the robes from the PT. The Clone Wars looks different from the Civil War.

The ST doesn't have that. It looks and feels just like the OT did.

Darkslayer likes this.
  10. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    What a bizarre last 2 pages.[face_laugh]

11. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    everytime the sequels are mentioned i'm over here like...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  12. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Right, but then he totally went against this when he sold out to Disney and ensured that Star Wars would (for better or worse) continue to be evergreen long after he's gone. He mentored Dave Filoni, etc.

Awushi Awere and godisawesome like this.
  13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Lucas already on some level was acknowledging to himself that Star Wars was bigger than just his creation (though as long as he owned it, he was going to treat it as such, no harm no foul) and that Star Wars was not some static product. Heck, you could easily argue that Lucas personally oversaw three distinct eras of Star Wars - the initial genre throwback and more drama-focused OT era, the more special effects-driven and world-building focused PT era, and then his own kind of compromise between the two with the TCW era.

It *is* his baby, and he's sensitive about what others do with it... but on some level, both creative and business-wise, he also probably always understood it would grow past his control and his lifetime. Him having complex feelings about it is no surprise, but also a sign of how all-encompassing his view of the franchise was.

14. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    He seemed surprised by what Iger and Disney did, perhaps he thought they would not do it to someone like him, but they did. Once they bought it, he was a goner.

His kids apparently werent interested in running the company and so he shepherded a deal with Kennedy, Iger/Disney to continue his work , to keep his ST and keep the Expanded Universe. He was also supposed to stay on as a spiritual guide and consulate for the ST. But once they betrayed him and dumped his work, he was basically forced to either quit or stay and and be powerless and take it - so he had to leave.

15. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    For a guy who has famously mistrusted Hollywood, Lucas seems to really trust Hollywood recently.

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think Lucas The Artist doesn't trust Hollywood. Lucas The Businessman is a different story... and is probably why Lucas The Artist has so little respect for that aspect of Hollywood.

17. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Chances are Iger said all the right things to Lucas during the time when he was trying to convince him to sell to Disney. then when it came to actually making the movies. after the 4 billion sale. Disney/Iger likely favoured the nostalgic, non-hated Lucas approach. which would benefit their 4 billion loss more than doing more PT like material.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Darkslayer likes this.
  18. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    If anyone's been watching Star Wars Visions, there's been a lot of discussion on Twitter about some of the shorts potentially gleaning ideas from unused sequel concepts.

One short in particular, The Ninth Jedi, shares numerous elements with The Force Awakens and the earlier scripts/concepts we've been shown for Episode 7.
    The story revolves around a young girl who's gifted in the Force, tasked with bringing lightsabers to a reclusive and isolated, yet powerful Jedi Master. The Jedi are a waning presence because there is a group of "Jedi Killers" hunting down their last remnants. There is also a young boy who aspires to be a Jedi himself, but needs a master to hone his skills. He is awed by the sight of a lightsaber, drawn to it.

In the end, the protagonists discover the plans of the Jedi Killers, and the Master Jedi springs into action to protect the young students, his reclusive act being a trap to lure in the Jedi Killers so that he could eliminate them. The girl's father is kidnapped by another group of Killers, so the Master takes her and the boy on a journey to rescue him.

The girl drives a scooter-like speeder similar to Rey's, and has seemingly never been offworld. The Master's disguise seems to resemble a rejected concept for Kylo Ren. There are seven Jedi Killers, like the Knights of Ren. So on, so forth.

Ironically, The Ninth Jedi seems to be one of the breakout hits of Visions, and if there's any truth to it potentially being based on unused ST concepts, I wonder if the bones of Lucas's sequels are more prominent in that short.

19. A tragedy we will never see Lucas vision post Endor

AusStig likes this.
  20. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I think we will, see it. In some form, though we may have to wait a while.

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. Awushi Awere

Awushi Awere Jedi Knight star 2

May 11, 2020
    I have doubts we will ever find out (officially) but since there is this rumour that George Lucas worked on the treatment of Episode IX I would like to know how much he contributed and what his impuls was. Also I doubt that we will ever get an honest opinion of Lucas on the whole sequels. We have one confirmed statement on TFA which wasn't that positive (something like "People gonna like it. But...I think it had nothing new. I always tried to show something new.") and I think just some rumours of another disappointment regarding TLJ. But basically since 2015 (right?) he never said that much about SW (except of this interview a few months ago in which he explained the reason for selling the franchise). Maybe there is a clause in his contract with Disney which doesn't allow him to express his thoughts (in detail) (and in whatever direction). Or he just wanted distance from it and didn't want to be the franchise-seller who keeps commenting on the stuff. But sometimes I ask myself if he watches the new content and feels like "controlling what they have filmed there". For example The Mandalorian...he was even on set. I feel that he feels more comfortable with this "smaller stories" (series, spin-offs etc) - just like the audience which forgives easier for supportive-content. I just hope he is fine and found a good balance towards "his baby". Not embittered, not hysterical, not too worried but just watching his creation grow and grow.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  22. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    Listen, I love George Lucas. He's a genius.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for him. He's one of the shrewdest, most forward thinking, astute, businessmen in the history of film. He HAD to have known what he was getting into (and letting go of) once he signed over/sold out to Disney.

23. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    George has always had a good relationship with Disney. I don't think he fully knew what he was getting into. if he did. he wouldn't have been hurt by what happened after.

Well he was on set of Solo: A Star Wars Story and Rogue one. he just did not visit the sets of the 3 ST movies. Which i guess probably tells you something.

George watched TFA and felt it was very unoriginal and from the sound of it never watched the next 2.

And since George is a shareholder at Disney. he probably has to keep his mouth shut.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Darkslayer and AusStig like this.
  24. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The only statement he made for TLJ was something along the lines of it being a "beautiful looking" film. For Solo, I remember he told Ron Howard that Han wouldn't put Lando's cape back up, he would just drop it on the floor.

Awushi Awere likes this.
  25. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I'm curious, do you feel the same way about Han getting stabbed and thrown into the abyss because he knew his son was a dark sider when he walked out onto the bridge?

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.