main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST how different do you think a Lucas ST would've been?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthfettus2015, Nov 1, 2020.

1. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    We legit have people comparing Lucas selling Star Wars to Disney to an act of patricide :confused:[face_plain](Kylo killing Han)
    It's almost on the same level as Simon Pegg saying that the prequels was like Lucas killing his kid, how time changes things I suppose.

2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It was said Lucas was gonna make the ST. He was at the time figuring things out. Mostly in terms of studio and funding, or something to that degree. And around that time iger heard about his plans for a sequel trilogy and asked Lucas if he would ever think about selling to Disney. George apparently wasn't that keen at first, But then had time to think about it. The thought of retiring and spending time with his new child was presumably what convinced him to do it. So he sold to Disney. I gather thinking he might be apart of the creative side still... but it didn't happen, as he felt pushed out when it came to his ideas. He had to admit to himself that they did not want his input.

He would have waited a little longer before selling but the money on offer would apparently have gone down had he waited to long.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    To be fair to people Lucas did call them "white slavers". So it's not like it's coming from nowhere.

Def Trooper and 2Cleva like this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    He was just feeling a little butthurt they didnt do his outline for TFA.

5. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    If they told him they would use them, then throw them out and disparage his work (the PT) I would say he is right to be upset.

But given some of Disney actions, is he really wrong?

6. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Lucas’s plan for the ST hinged in him building long planned sound stages at Skywalker Ranch. Basically Lucas could make movie by dad and still have dinner at home and sleep in his own bed.

When the county he lived in created loopholes to stop these decade long approved plans Lucas decided to Abandon his further film ambitions and sell LucasFilm before its value declined.

7. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I imagine it wasn't like well i can't make the movie close to home so i'l just sell my baby.

8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Making the movies close to home was likely something he would regard as necessary for his personal health, given the stress making another trilogy would require of him... but at the same time, not such a deal breaker he would want any possible trilogy to never exist if he couldn't have it his way.

Star Wars was always "his baby" but everything about his sale to Disney implies that he knew it would outlive him and wanted what he could best manage for it beyond his own mortality - thus a possible tie between him realizing he couldn't confidently get it produced in the most healthy way for himself, but trying to sell it quickly enough to a strong enough company that it could still go forward before anyone else passed on.

I mean, *if* it was his county cutting off his preferred plan that ended his hopes for overseeing the entirety of production himself without any issue, than his willingness to sell to Disney and attempts to cooperate with them might be why we can still claim a final three appearances by Fisher, as tragic as that wound up being.

9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Lucas’s plan was to release Ep 7 in 2017 for the 40th anniversary. The collapse of the 3D rerelease market also put an end to Lucas’s plans. But really it came down to those home sound stages. Lucas planned to have a family and was not going to spend months away shooting.

Lucas was mad enough about the studio not being approved he is trying build affordable housing on the same site. Again he is facing issues from the county but Lucas is a billionaire.

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-culture/a...es-city-and-family-in-Marin-over-15819687.php

The sound stages were also the next step in LucasFilm’s evolution. It wasn’t going to just be for George shooting Star Wars. It would be for other films. And probably a way to make live action Star Wars tv series. Maybe there was Mandalorian style technology being planned. Not sure what it was but there was some sort of state of the art movie making tech planned for these stages and Lucas wanted to experiment with it first. I think he was also going to have these very open ended shooting schedules. It was meant to bring all aspects of filmmaking together and blur the order of how they were made.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I remember hearing that and thinking that was a hilarious combination of altruism and spite.

11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Lucas really did take inspiration from Edgar Rice Burrows - who authored Tarzan and built Tarzana Ranch - a place very similar to Skywalker Ranch for creating Tarzan movies and writinh his books. While not altruistic - Burrows also built homes in what is now Tarzana California.

12. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Lucas probably would have did something like this too.

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    One thing the ST trilogy need was more force ghost. More Anakin Skywalker.

14. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Could have done with any Anakin Skywalker.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Oh yeah, I kinda go with his force voice in TROS.

16. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I could barely hear that, and it was just a line. So I don't really count it, since it's not an 'appearance' per say.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    From all the things I have heard I don’t think I would have liked it. Like at all so I am glad I never saw it

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I get the feeling TROS didn’t go further with the Force Ghosts because that is being saved for something else later. Basically the movie did just enough to include force ghosts without preventing anything in the future.

My hunch is some day we’ll watch TROS after more TVs series and movies are released and we’ll have a much clearer idea exactly what is happening with both the Sith and Jedi Spirits in that movie.

Really glad Hayden is coming back. It’s weird because I see him as Anakin. I guess he’s typecast in my mind. But it think he’s fantastic in the role. Maybe this will spark a career renisamce for him.

I’m glad we are getting the further adventures of Anakin and Obi-Wan while the actors are still young-ish. That doesn’t really make sense for the story but we never got that with original trilogy cast - which would have made sense story wise - in further adventures.

That’s really what is missing the most from Star Wars. More OT content. As of now the PT era is by far the most documented. Even Bad Bad is still a walk out of the PT time period.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  19. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Thats ironic because a few years ago i think people were arguing the opposite.

20. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Who could’ve been a decent choice to play an old Darth Maul?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  21. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I don't think recasting is needed. Some makeup on Ray Park, I think could work.

22. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Yeah, I thought about it afterward and realized that’s basically what they did with Palpatine. Unless of course Lucas has been interested in consolidating the role once it was no longer so physical and having a single actor do the physical and vocal acting. Although not as respectful to the original actors, that may have been a better route, honestly. It would’ve been interesting to see what an actor would do with the character at such a different point in his life. I do think it probably would’ve helped to get an actor closer to the 80-something years Maul would’ve been in Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Since Maul is a zabrak, there's no need for him to look as old as we'd expect a human to look at that age. His species' life expectancy can be whatever GL decides.
    I think Ray would've returned. Most likely, Sam Witwer would've done the voice.

I could be wrong, of course.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    AusStig likes this.
  24. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    If GL intended Maul to be the main ST villian, I doubt Filoni kills him off in Rebels. That might have been the case at one time but ideas change.

25. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Yeah, the species argument has come up a few times for different characters (I think it was Thrawn most recently), but for some reason it rarely seems to come into play, with most characters still aging like humans do. I suspect Maul would’ve aged similarly to a human, because in his interview, Lucas did point out that Maul would’ve been “old” by then and not really the main physical threat. So if they kept Park it would’ve been for the physical continuity and physicality, though he probably would’ve had even heavier prosthetics than he did in Solo.

As for the character’s development in Rebels, that show started airing in late 2014, with Maul not appearing until season 2. By then the sequels had moved away from featuring Maul as the main villain, that change happening in 2013, but he was planned as the main villain when Lucas was in charge and even for a year after the Disney sale, up until 2012. So it wasn’t just an idea that was entertained for a little while. What we ended up seeing in Rebels was Filoni’s own creation, adapted for the new direction LFL was taking. It should also be mentioned that despite being Lucas’s protege of sortd, Filoni clearly has a very different perspective of his universe.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021