main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST how different do you think a Lucas ST would've been?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthfettus2015, Nov 1, 2020.

1. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Whose people? I don't know if I agree with that. I remember at the time I wasn't so anti PT.

But that change Disney's not so creative way of doing things.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    The loudest voices at the time. The voices that were going on social media and enjoying bad mouthing them while those who did like them clearly were not saying anything at the time.

AusStig likes this.
  3. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    Why does that matter in regards to Disney's lack of creativity?

Do you really think that those who liked them weren't saying anything?

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I said plenty at the time, and so did many others, and social media hardly existed then. I guess MySpace might have been there but I’m not even sure about that.

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  5. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    It had very little to do with Disneys lack of creativity. it has more to do with people not appreciating creativity. Which if Lucas had made episode 7... no matter what he did, it probably wouldn't be appreciated. In a way Lucas had to let go of star wars before people realised what they lost. without that... they would never know.

From my memory they were not. And social media was around enough for me to remember 2012 when Lucas sold Star Wars and there were comments everywhere about how Disney would ignore the PT and How Disney hate the PT because... the fans said so. And i remember arguing with several people that it made no sense to ignore them. I wonder where those people are now?

And yes i do remember a period when i was looking for positive comments about the PT. Because i never understood the hate towards them and i was always looking for others who liked them. Which i can't say i really found anywhere. And youtube was full of negative youtube videos on the PT. forums were knocking them constantly. Twitter at its earliest was bashing the PT also. It was just cool to bash the PT. lets be honest.

To give an example, on youtube in 2012 if you was to go on a PT clip video, you would see so much bashing and knocking, with every so often a little generous comment about something before acknowledging them as bad films. While now if you go on a PT clip, it 95% positive comments.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, YouTube has always been a cesspit of bashing. These days YouTube has videos complaining about Disney being too “woke”, an idea which by itself indicates that the idea bearer/video maker is not worth even a second of anyone‘s time.

I would hope Disney does not take its view of who Star Wars fans are, based on YouTube videos. Maybe they should have sent their execs to a Celebration.

There were plenty of people who did not like the PT. But that does not mean nobody liked them.

2Cleva likes this.
  7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Social media has existed since the early days of the internet. Twenty years ago, there were plenty of message boards and chat rooms, for people to share their thoughts and feelings. MySpace, Facebook, Twitter and the rest just offer other avenues. They replaced the chat rooms, which did the same thing.

Darth PJ and AusStig like this.
  8. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    It doesn’t reality matter what a certain section of the fanbase or media think… filmmakers have to tell the story they want in the way they want. I’m sure a Lucas ST would have received lots of criticism in certain quarters… but I suspect it would have ultimately been more well received than the ST, as Lucas is at heart, a progressive filmmaker and a creative intellect… Besides, I think the model would have been Lucas writing/developing the story/concepts… and with other filmmakers directing them. I think that would have been the perfect template.

Which is kind of the point. When an itch is scratched it can become more irritated and bleed. That’s how many were left feeling after the ST. They had an itch which left them bloodied.

9. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Maybe Lucas can write the movies moving forward or help come up with ideas maybe they realize they need him.

10. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think it's inevitable. They don't even need Lucas as they already have his treatments... and I think a film/TV series with a new story/characters written by George Lucas, would be seen as a quite positive spin after the ST.

11. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Agree it would deff have to be tweaked but you could even bring in a child of Luke’s that he didn’t know about and have them meet Rey and Luke is a force ghost.

12. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Or they can erase the projects that GL/Filoni didn't work on and let them continue telling their story which is in every project EXCEPT the 3 ST movies.

13. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Yeah see I don’t know about that one haha I don’t know if that would happen!

14. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    So Rogue one and Solo too. Probably Kenobi and Andor too. although Star Wars: resistance would have to stay as that is a produced Filoni project.. hmm..

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  15. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    The ST isn’t even close to the only SW not worked on by GL or DF. The nature of the franchise is that different authors get to work on it,
    I could get behind erasing everything but the movies, and animated shows. But that’s purely my personal opinion on the Disney+ series writers (and i just realized some of those live action shows I’d want erased are by Dave Filoni) It’s silly to erase something because it wasn’t written by a certain author, there’s hundreds of authors who’ve written for Star Wars outside of the original canon.

16. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    RO, Solo, Obi-Wan, and Andor are intertwined with GL/Filoni's work. Gilroy didn't create Saw Guerra. Filoni was a major part of Solo re-write and has been LFL Executive Producer over ALL Disney+ (including Obi-Wan and Andor which tied directly to the PT/OT work of GL). Resistance is the project Filoni has openly tossed aside.

I look forward to seeing what the GL/Filoni sequel trilogy will look like.

AusStig likes this.
  17. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Thing is though, he isn't a producer on alot of these projects, meaning that the people working on each show are the ones guiding it. It doesn't matter whether they come to Filoni and say hey can we use Cad Bane or whatever because unless he is a producer, he actually doesn't have THAT much input. If any really. He is currently making his projects in which HE is a producer. But the projects he ISN'T producer are the ones he is doing very little for. Or even just allowing people to use his characters the way they want too like Saw Gerrera. With the only one he is super protective with is Ahsoka. Which is why he will probably be the only person to produce Ahsoka material ever.

So that actually isn't as much say as you think. Especially if you want to say that Resistance, in which he developed and is co-producer for apparently him just tossing it out.

18. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    If using a character Lucas/Filoni created makes Andor a Lucas/Filoni project, then wouldn't that by extension make the Sequel Trilogy, which is full of characters created by Lucas, a Lucas project as well? Since that seems to be the only criteria attributing Andor to your 'secret Filoni rebellion within Lucasfilm' or whatever it is now.

19. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Watch and see.

[​IMG]

AusStig likes this.
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Remember GL wanted Ahsoka Tano dead before Clone Wars ended.

21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Perhaps. But OTOH, if Disney had followed GL's treatments and people hated the films, then the backlash would (again) have been against Lucas, not against Disney. The "haters" might not have borne any ill will against the company itself and would still have had high expectations about the first Lucas-free SW movies. But Disney decided to toss Lucas' treatments, resulting in movies that many fans don't like, which in turn has caused a backlash against the company itself. In that sense, staying true to Lucas' treatments would've been the less risky course of action for Disney to take. IMO. But you're right, it's primarily hindsight talking.

22. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Also I would respect the choices since he’s the creator and knows the world a lot more. And his treatment sounded amazing just it sounded so different and out there but still so firmly Star Wars. And I liked the Prequels , OT , loved TFA , loathe with a passion ( TLJ) and Rise tried it’s best. It felt like Star Wars to me.

23. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Disney released this information yesterday:

[​IMG]

24. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Yeah and im sure its very expensive too. I suspect CGI Luke may have taken a chunk out of the TBOB budget. Its gonna take time to actually be done easier and cheaper.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  25. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I mean... that's totally fascinating and totally terrifying...