main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How do you build off the Sequel Trilogy moving forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jid123Sheeve, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    I've thought about this quite a bit. At this point I really think that they should leave the ST alone for a decade or more. Build up the timeline between the OT and ST and fill in some of the details around Palpatine's return and the rise of the First Order. As things currently stand, there seems to be a pretty significant time period between the OT and ST that would benefit from being filled in. Lucas Film have done an amazing job bridging the gap between the OT and the PT. I think we really need to see this sort of development for the ST before moving forward.

Trev Elyt likes this.
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

3. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I'm really not overly interested in anything ST related at this point (burnout and wan't something new, and also negative taste after TROS). If they do try an tell stories post TROS though I would focus on Poe/Finn/Rose story lines working together as I thought they worked really well as a group and for some reason JJ didn't follow up with it. I would also expand on the Dyad and find a way to have Rey and Ben Solo working together again. I don't have much desire to see Finn as a Jedi, because it was shoehorned in badly.

Darth PJ likes this.
  4. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    they didn't retcon anything? It was the first time the story had ever been told, other than fan's preconceived head canon.

5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I doubt they’ll go anywhere near the ST, even with a cartoon. There was already a lot of fan interest in the events of the Clone Wars, even from fans that weren’t enamoured with the PT. There’s nothing explicitly presented in the ST that I would personally want to see adapted into an animated series.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  6. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    What you mean? TLJ said he burned down the temple and slaughtered half the students.

Doesn’t the temple get hit with a bolt of lightning or something in the comic and Ben took out some of the students in self defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riv_Shiel, K2771991 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  7. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    I think I'm leaving SW for the next generation, those who aren't invested in the Skywalker/Solo family.

For this old timer, they WERE SW. Now JJ and Terrio have wiped them out the heart and soul is gone. I have zero interest in prequels, I know how the story ends, and I loathe and detest the sanctimonious creature Rey has become, so a continuation of her story training Finn doesn't interest me. Maybe it's for the best as I'm in my mid fifties and new films made twenty or so years down the line.....I'll either be too old or not here at all!
    All good things come to an end, I guess, but I'm sorry DLF chose to end the story of the Skywalkers in such a depressing manner. To borrow a quote from The Chronicles of Narnia: The Last Battle, "I saw it born. I never thought I'd see it die".

8. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    TLJ also said Rey was a nobody and that Luke didn’t know who she was, so take all that with a grain of salt. What your referring to is from Luke’s point of view. He was unconscious during the events so I’m not sure he would be the best source of knowing what all happened. He assumed the worst in Ben always, which in part led to his fall

9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    The comic shows the lightning destroys the temple and kills many of the students. going by that comic I don't believe he killed anyone there.

Its fair to say Luke was unconscious so all he really knew is what he woke up to see.

Personally I have always been on board with the idea of an animated show with a young Ben Solo being trained by Luke. a bit like Clone wars. it might even improve the ST for many if its done well.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    burg2774 likes this.
  10. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I will take what was shown and told in the films over a comic book any day, especially when that comic was likely read by what? A maximum of 20,000 or 25,000 people? Meanwhile, millions of people saw the films. Plus, when films and other materials contradict one another, it’s the films that take precedence. I know that some people want to absolve Kylo of practically everything, but he murdered many, including his own father; ordered many others to be killed, like the villagers; and is responsible for all of the death and destruction caused in the year that he led the first order. He is no angel. The films and ( I assume, since I didn’t read it), the novelization, say that Kylo killed his fellow students. Even Han Solo said it. I am going to believe the film and Han Solo over a comic book that tries to “woobify” Kylo.

Nom von Anor, EHT, reyvision and 2 others like this.
  11. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    What was said in the film is coming from other people’s point of view. Han and Luke were just assuming, they didn’t actually know. Luke flat out lied to Rey about what happened with Kylo when they she first asked. She then learned the full truth after she got Kylos POV. I’m not taking any sides here other than taking what the story gave.

12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    We have to take into account that, both Kylo Ren and Luke Skywalker, are unrelaible sources to what exactly happened that night at the Jedi temple. However, it's on the films to provide the correct amount of information in order for audiences to better understand events. As it stands (in the films) either Kylo was the aggressor or he was simply defending himself from a crazed Luke Skywalker. That it's left to comics to better explain, reenforces the view that the ST was slapdash with how it established character motivation, and (IMHO), it undermines and limits the potential for drama.

13. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    I actually think they should have made a big budget series instead.
    At the time both Driver and Isaac were familiar with TV work, and Boyega and Ridley newcomers.
    Something with a budget like GoT would have been good, I think.

14. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    First of all, who is that dude?

Second, yeah, that's a pretty big ask. This isn't the only SW in town and it's certainly not the only fantasy/sci fi in town. Also, and let me stress this, there are PLENTY of people who hate "Ben Solo" and don't care about him as Luke's apprentice, especially since, unlike Ahsoka, he murders his fellow students and turns to the dark side. I know they keep trying to have their Vader and Anakin in one package without scars, but it's not happening.

Also, @sian1965 and I disagree on most things, including why, but we're both done with SW - and she IS a fan of Ben Solo. So what's that tell you? That, in addition to OT fans, many of his fans aren't going to come back either. Plus a lot of Finn and Poe fans were done after TROS (esp Finn fans). Who's left? I doubt it's Rose fans either.

15. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    I agree with his pointS except for...well, we've already seen the Battle of Jakku twice lol.

Kylo himself flat-out admits to Rey that he destroyed the temple in TLJ.

The comic "fits" in the sense that it does'nt actually conflict with anything - Han and Luke did'nt witness the temples destruction and the comic presents Kylo as thinking (for some weird reason) he destroyed the temple, but it's still ultimatly a retcon, as all prior works made it quite clear that the intention behind them was that the character did indeed destroy the temple and slaughter Luke's students.

I don't think it's a big ask at all - plenty of peaple (yours truly included) hated Anakin and were'nt interested in "coming back" for more stuff after the PT ended, and TCW changed that for a lot of us (including, agian, yours truly - he went from being one of my least favorite characters to one of my favorites). The guy brought up a pretty solid point and analogy, and one that IMO I think a lot of peaple forget or overlook when adressing the so-called "divisons" cuased by the ST.

16. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    I mean, the weird lightning itself is very ambiguous. Was it Kylo Ren doing it in his rage? He says he didn't want it but he may have caused it anyway. Was it Snoke? The comic doesn't answer who did it. But Kylo Ren does say he destroyed the temple in TLJ, so that's enough for me.

alwayslurking and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Perhaps it's like Rey's accidental summoning of lightning?

reyvision likes this.
  18. reyvision

Dec 12, 2017
    That is how I viewed it when I read the comic. He didn't want to do it but his rage manifested it. Much like Rey's.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We know from Yoda in TLJ that lightning doesn't actually have to come from one's fingers.

reyvision likes this.
  20. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    That's pretty deceptive considering that TCW's version of Anakin is barely Anakin.

21. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    The scale is much to large for anything we've seen Kylo be capable of (or Rey, for that matter) - only Palpatine has shown the ability to create strikes on that scale and level*, so I'd wager it was him (possibly Snoke, or maybe both of them if their their one-in-the-same*).

*not counting all-powerful Force ghosts, that is:D

**if I remember correctly the subtitles repersenting Snoke's voice in Ben's head are red, just like the strike that destroyed the temple, so there's that as well.

And he never used the power agian...why? Would have been mighty useful on Exegol, for instance, or agianst the Resistence on Crait; if he can do it on accident, then he can surely do it on purpose.

He meshed perfectly with ROTS Anakin to me[face_dunno] , he was just more fleshed out and better explored then the movies were able to do.

And listen, man, why do you have to accuse peaple of being "deceptive" and stuff like that just becuase they have different opinions then you? No offense, but it's super annoying.

burg2774 and Iron_lord like this.
  22. reyvision

Dec 12, 2017
    To be fair, Rey never used the lightning again either. I'm just going by what Kylo Ren said in TLJ: "The night I destroyed his temple...."

The comic is either retconning what TLJ says (in which case, movie trumps comics canon), or Kylo Ren did destroy it.

K2771991 and Iron_lord like this.
  23. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Fair enough, though I should point out there's a difference between destroying an entire building and destroying one small ship; Rey probobly could have used FL agian, but given her personality and how horrified she was at what she did the first time she's unlikely to do so again, while Kylo would have no qualms about using the ability a second time for years and years afterwards; he fought a Zillo Beast in anouther comic set post fall, and such a vast ability to use said power surely would have come in handy to use in that instance.

That has'nt been how the canon system works for years. Now everything's equal (for better or for worse, depending on how you look at things).

Personally I'm assume he either A) has figured out he did'nt do it and is contiuing to take credit for what went down or B) still thinks he did it but has never been able to replicate the feat as he did'nt actually do it (but does'nt know that). I suppose it's possible he did actually do that, but I don't see any evidence he did and if that is eventually what they decide I'll think it was more then a bit silly.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. reyvision

Dec 12, 2017
    Well, I think a lot of the comic is silly lol, but I like to make it fit with the films if I can. So for now, I like to imagine he did it in a rage (much like Rey in TROS) and then realized it's not what he wanted. Either way, it's ambiguous enough that many interpretations are valid, imo.

K2771991 and Iron_lord like this.
  25. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I don't see it, personally. The overarching story of the ST is not about Luke and Ben's relationship or what lead to Ben turning to the Dark Side.