main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How do you build off the Sequel Trilogy moving forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jid123Sheeve, Jul 9, 2020.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    We already have it with High Republic doing an earlier version the holdo thing.

3. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    I feel the same way, although we disagree on a lot of things.

4. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Also feel the same way. I can't imagine why anyone would get invested - they sure as hell showed they don't care, no matter what character you're a fan of. I'm going to pay to have them laugh in my face and tell me that they're subverting my expectations and I should enjoy it?

[​IMG]

2Cleva and ChildOfWinds like this.
  5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Even knowing that grumpy Luuke will happen, I still want Lucasfilm to find ways to give us more stories of the heroic Luke Skywalker.

Not limiting them to just the OT era.

Instead of jumping into his Academy period, I would want to see more tales about him in the gap between RoTJ and the start of training Ben Solo.

See him training Leia, etc.

The current star wars comics are focused on the ESB - RoTJ gap, but once that is finished, Its likely we will see some adventures of the big 3 following RoTJ.

K2771991 and Iron_lord like this.
  6. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Honestly, I don't care for what happens after TROS. Now, what happens before TPM is more of what I am interest it. Just being honest. The new movies were fun to watch, but their impact doesn't leave me with wanting to know more either after, or before.

7. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    And Ben was not Judas. So it was Luke+12=13. The unlucky 13. And since Ben did not destroy the temple and did not slaughter the students, maybe there was a mole.

Jesus chose his 12 disciples, and so did Luke. Ben was different; he was trusted to him by Leia, and he was family. The parallel, in his case, is saga-related, and not biblical. Jesus had no nephew-disciple.

8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I don't blame you. I don't think I'd particularly care on a personal level (since I never was too interested in post-ROTJ anyway), but if they had to do something with this era, that's the only way I can see some recovery. And even then, it is too little, too late for lots of people.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    I have not watched it either. After Rise of Skywalker I could not look at anything else Star Wars. I'm slowly returning again. Still I don't know lol. I honestly have no idea how you build off these Sequel Trilogy. I'm not I even want that.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I don’t want them to build off of the ST at all going forward. They stated that TROS was the end of the ST AND the end of the Skywalker Saga, and I think they should stick to that by not making Episode X or continuing with any side stories that include any of the ST characters.

Luna2112, 2Cleva, Def Trooper and 4 others like this.
  11. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I think it say more about some people here who try to turn every topic into the same debate, regardless of what it originally was about...

The opening post was pretty clear in what this was supposed to be about, and what it wasn't there for. Supplementary material to enhance the ST, not "what should future movies be build upon". Didn't stop people from completely ignoring that ten posts in. And guess who was the one who started that?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  12. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    This is from a TFA comic. The forceback. Sep 2017; 2 years after TFA and just 3 months before TLJ.

Luke and the hooded figure, same red background.

13. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    It’s pretty simple. Rey attempts to build a Jedi order. The new republic attempts to rebuild. Other threats grow over time to challenge old and new heroes.

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think it’s important for Lucasfilm to stick to its word (regarding the end of the Skywalker saga), and not build from the ST at all.

EHT and Glitterstimm like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But what does that even mean? They're going to have to move forward eventually. Unless, they pull an Elder Scrolls and have the next Sequel Trilogy take place hundreds of years later.

16. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    They're doing a Galaxy of Adventures comic featuring Rey and her men followers which is set post TROS, I wonder if they are testing the waters, so to speak, and if it's a success follow on from that.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I honestly don’t see the need to move forward in the timeline. Let the ST be the furthest point in the timeline for a long while.

That said, I do think they will eventually. And I believe jumping far ahead, as you suggest, is the way to go.

18. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Comic books are niche. Only most die-hard fans buy them so they are no indication of whether studio should make live action (movies, streaming) with those characters. The only relevant thing is that ST lost 48% of its initial audience in just 4 years and that TROS was the least profitable ST movie with the worst reviews of any SW movie ever. That determines what will happen in the future not niche tie-ins.

christophero30 likes this.
  19. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    This point is probably the most misterious about the future of SW and LucasFilm.
    I'm not sure if this is a Disney thing, but certainly Lucasfilm seems EXTREMELY UNCONFORTABLE with Force users in general.
    The company that developed Jedi Fallen Order for EA said in various reports how Lucasfilm was against a game about Jedi and how they tried to turn the the game about mandaloriaans. The only allowed the to be developed once there were no Jedi, only Force users with no true training or true tried Jedi.
    The lack of development of a Jedi Order in the ST and the disallowance of the New Jedi Order series does make the impression that the second Jedi Order with multiple members as it once was in the High Republic is completely out of question.
    But nor Disney or Lucasfilm seems sincere about this matter and never makes it clear what is really going on.
    One interesting thing about the Mandalorian was the complete ignorance about the Force the majority of the characters showed. Thgink of Cara Dunn, who was a rebel soldier. She should have heard about Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. In the OT the Rebelion members/leaders normally greeted that the Force should be with the other rebel. But whenever Baby Yoda uses The Force around her ( heck, the child even force-choked her) she acts like she has no idea about what was going on.
    But in the end i think it's more a sign on how The Force, Force users and Jedi became some sort of "creative taboo" inside Lucasfilm.Specially in the stoylines after ROTJ.
    What has been heard through leaks is that Disney has no plan for anything post-ROTS, but they may create a Davi Filoni Cinematic Universe, with stories about the Mandalorian, Ahsoka, Ezra and some others characters that will take place in the first decade after the fall of the Empire.
    Kathleen Kennedy "swan song" at Lucasfilm helm seems to be a series of books about the High Republic, something set about 200 years before TPM.
    So at this point i don't believe will see anything Jedi centric post Ep.9. At least for a long long while.
    And that's bring us back to your point: are there really that many people craving for a Force-less SW story, about spice dealers and bounty-hunters only ?
    This really seems a strecht to me.

20. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Force-less SW story about spice dealers and bounty hunters only = lesser GOTG. And who needs lesser GOTG if there's real GOTG?

PendragonM likes this.
  21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think most stories in book and tv material will probaly build of the ST like the books and games did after the PT was done. the movies will probaly not be build up by them like like they won't be by the PT and hopefully not the OT.

22. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I mostly agree that the ST doesn't and shouldn't need to be expanded upon. However, if they do continue it, one of the contributions of TROS was that it wrapped things up quite thoroughly. Palpatine and the Sith are gone (hopefully, please), Kylo is dead and the FO is finished. Luke seems to think his duties are mostly finished too.

The storylines of the saga are over, so a new film could focus exclusively on Rey. Finn would be nice to bring back too, but Rey is the priority imo. It feels like so little of her potential was realized, we got three movies but barely got to know her. Rather than see Luke during his quests after ROTJ, I'd like to see Rey in that role, and I'd like her to be written by a woman. For all the talk about the The Force Is Female, none of the Disney era films feel particularly feminine. Rian Johnson tried to go there in TLJ but it didn't work out imo. I don't want to see her going straight into training new students, I want to see her develop into a Jedi, which didn't really happen in the ST.

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think they have a legitimate fear (as I do) of a force user arms race leading to a superheroization of the franchise, where powers and threats grow and grow until the whole thing is completely unmoored and ungrounded. That’s why I think the Mandalorian strikes the perfect balance. It’s grounded, set as it is in the gritty world of bounty hunters and ex-imperials. But bring in a baby force user, and the mysticism that entails, and bring in deep Jedi/ Mando lore and history like the darksaber, and it becomes far more than GOTG, to address @vaderito ’s point.

And I’d argue the opposite anyway. GOTG is fun, but it’s Star Wars derivative. Star Wars operating in the underworld is much more interesting to me. “Greater GOTG” is more like it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yep. I’d rather they just ignore it, and focus on the prequel, classic and post ROTJ eras. Or anything way back in the past. Just nothing after TROS.

Def Trooper and Darth PJ like this.
  25. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    They should build from it with books, comics, and tv shows. No more movies about this time period though.