main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How do you build off the Sequel Trilogy moving forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jid123Sheeve, Jul 9, 2020.

1. CakeR

CakeR Jedi Padawan

Aug 10, 2020
    I have a couple of ideas for how you could use the ST lore in the future.

In terms of First Order related stuff, I think it would be neat if they kept the FO/Palpatine as a looming and secretive threat during the post-ROTJ era. I've always thought that you would naturally see the Star Wars equivalent of neo-nazi biker gangs but they're essentially old Stormtrooper squads starting up gangs where they sell drugs and whatnot (imagine a bunch of old dudes wearing mix-matched Stormtrooper armor with tattoos saying stuff like 'O66' or 'VADER'S FIST'). And you would have the more extreme neo-imperial terrorist groups who go around attacking various population centers and space stations in the New Republic.

I like the idea that some of these neo-imperials would do some digging through the old records and somehow discover the First Order. They would be ecstatic to find that their old Empire survived. Then when they reach out in the hopes of finally getting revenge on the 'Jedi and alien mixers' someone like Pryde would arrive to kill them since, in the First Order's view, they're a bunch of 'degenerates' who are putting their plans at risk.

Tying into Pryde I would love it if in some material we heard stories about kids being transferred to First Order Academies that Pryde worked at and then mysteriously disappearing. Then in other stories we learn that Palpatine needs to constantly 'feed' off living beings to keep his half-dead clone body alive. I want something really creepy like that when we get Palpatine/Exegol stories in this era.

Then obviously you can do something with Luke and Rey's Jedi. Someone in a discord I'm in brought up a good point on this front. They can do a series of books where we explore both Luke and Rey's Temple. Have the framing story be Rey searching for some artifacts or whatever and every now and then you'll see flashbacks to Luke and his Jedi searching for the same stuff. I also like to think that Luke's Jedi (and maybe even the Jedi of ancient times as well) were more open. Like you had these non-Force wielders from the Church of the Force who are Jedi in all but name and powers because they're following the Jedi around helping them do their work. And while all of Luke's padawans died you can have these Church of the Force members live on to aid Rey after ROS.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Iron_lord and K2771991 like this.
  2. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Something like the aborted German werewolfs might be interesting - Imperial terrorist commandos set up before the end of the war (maybe as part of the Contigency), perhaps supported secretly by Palpatine/the FO as way to undermine and destablize the NR/discredit the Imperial Remnant.

I'd actually like to see some interactions between the FO and a surviving Imperial Remnant during the timeperiod of the ST films, with two dipicted as evolutions of two extremes of the Old Empire - the FO took the radical, racial and totalitarian aspects of the Empire (due to the fact that all the crazies, die-hards and "true believers" who survived fled to form/join it) and inflated them, while the Remnant ended up focusing on the more idealistic and moralistic aspects of the Empire as the Legends Remnant ultimatly did (due to the fact that all the crazies had been wetted out).

This actually gives me an interesting idea; forget FO academies, have Pyrde be an a senior academic after the war at some promeniant academy for young well-to-dos from wealthy families, and the Jedi investigate when the students start dispearing (including, perhaps, Jannah?). It's uncovered that Pyrde is abducting and funneling kids off to somewhere, but he flees when they go to confront him.

Sort of like Robert E. Lee at W&L after the civil war, if Robert E. Lee was actually secretly a member of the KKK and was working to undermine the Union from within rather the heal old scars:D

CakeR and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I firmly believe that one of the things that can be learnt from the ST is that they should really spend more time conceiving and crafting characters. Driver is a really good actor IMHO, but the writing of Kylo Ren/Ben is some of the weakest writing in all of Star Wars... Poor motivation. Weak development. Certainly inferior to Anakin Skywalker. The lack of 'compelling' characters is, for me anyhow, one of the ST's biggest flaws. Part of the issue with Kylo/Ben, is that Abrams and Johnson can't seem to make their minds up who they believe the main character should be. The net result being that both Kylo and Rey are relatively 2-dimensional. I'd posit that if they'd switched between actors i.e. Driver playing Rey and Ridley playing Kylo, Rey would have been better developed throughout the ST.

Well quite. It's an element... a facet... just as the Pixar, 'Classic' Disney and Marvel content is. If you're telling me that the largest demographic of Disney+ is your over 29's, I'd really like to see that data... ;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  4. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    There is now word of the first post-ST project. Lego Star Wars Holiday Special

https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...day-special-updates-yuletide-miss/3359104001/

We'll see when its released but that seems much more in the vein of what TFA started than what TLJ did and whatever TROS was.

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  5. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    So basically Rey and BB8 adventure with the rest of "friends" showing up at the beginning and the end. Figures.

More seasoned Rey and younger Luke. of course that Rey teaches Luke. [face_devil]

#RukeLives

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

christophero30 likes this.
  6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    it would be funny if the Lego movie ends up being better than the ST.

PendragonM and 2Cleva like this.
  7. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    It probably will be.

[​IMG]

[face_love]

8. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Undoubtedly. And they only needed a time travel device to exalt her more. Maybe she goes back in time and truly teaches every Jedi that ever lived superior wisdom.

PendragonM and ChildOfWinds like this.
  9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    'Lego versions of Emperor Palpatine, Vader and Kylo Ren get to hang out together: “It’s really hilarious with what's going to happen with those guys,” Rimes says.'

I have doubts about the actual hilarity of that. :p

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Rey/Luke romance i ship it. hey it can still happen he just a ghstly form.

Vicarious Fan likes this.
  11. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    not a single thing you said there has anything to do with a Manic Pixie Dream girl.

12. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    For anyone who watches Doctor Who, I can't help but think that Rey is becoming Clara...

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Since they'll use more of World between worlds now, We can have Rey be the new mara jade, she romance Luke get marrried have his kids and then go back to the future.[face_devil] Star Wars is now back to future.

14. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Heh, heh, she wasn't lying when she said she was all the Jedi. She trained them all. [face_cowboy]

@Fredrik Vallestrand kek that reminds me of that crazy fleak was Rey was time-traveling Shmi.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    It is canon she Rey Shim Skywalker.

16. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    "weakest writing in all Star Wars," "poor motivation," "weak development" - ten/fifteen years ago a lot of peaple said much the same things about the PT - heck, as I recall not only did peaple then assert that Anakin was not only clearly inferior to Luke, but believe he "ruined" the character of Darth Vader (sound familier;)).

They knew quite well who the main characters were - Rey and Kylo (along with Finn, Poe and - in TLJ - Rose); Star Wars has always been about an ensamble featuring multipule main characters.

I can't say what the largest demographic for plus is, but I'd expect you'd be suprised by just how many peaple in their late twenties/early thirties got the service, if only becuase they grew up watching so many Disney movies and shows that are now on the service.

I mean, come on PJ, they got Goof Troop, Ducktales, TailSpin and Darkwing Duck! How could I not sign up?:D

Even if she does, it does'nt mean anything; it's a Lego Star Wars movie, remember? Not only are those not canon, but there intentionally silly, exaggerated and typically make everyone look like a goof.

I dunno, I got a kick out of the back and fourth between Lego Vader and Lego Palpatine in the Freemaker Adventures[face_rofl]

I know you doubtlessly intended for this to be an insult, but considering I not only consider Clara to be the best nuWho companion (ranked slightly higher, but more or less tied with, Donna Noble and River Song) and rank her very high in terms of companions overall, it actually comes off as high praise for Rey:D

And ghost Luke...is Anakin's father:eek:[face_sick]

Iron_lord and Vicarious Fan like this.
  17. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    The LEGO Holiday Special actually sounds hilarious and I'm excited for it.

K2771991 likes this.
  18. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I really don't mind the actress, I meant in the sense of how Clara suddenly was thrown into the timeline and was there when One took the TARDIS, etc, and I'm not even a long term Who fan (started with the revival), it just came off cheap. That's how I feel about Rey meeting younger Luke, I'm sure she's going to have some great, important lesson for him about how he should keep on (frankly, with what happens to them, she should tell Han, especially, to get the hell out of there). It's totally in keeping with building Disney SW up at the expense of the OT.

I have no intention of watching it, BTW. I already used up my free trial of D+ and I will not be giving Disney any more money, thanks.

19. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    @K2771991

It isn't about canon but about studio attitude. They are pushing certain idea which many fans see as a constant undermining of Luke. He is an inferior saber fighter to Leia.

[​IMG]

Rey beats him up with a stick.

[​IMG]

Rey is now a seasoned Jedi while he is a wet behind ears farmboy. There's a pattern that fans notice, don't like, point it out, and yet the studio keeps doubling down. And it's even worse now that she is a Palaptine. It's pretty tone deaf. I get that they want their first leading heroine to be the greatest Jedi ever but it doesn't have to be at the expense of the character who literally founded SW. No Luke, no SW.

20. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Not to mention that the harder you try to sell a character as "bestest evah", the more off-putting they become.

Wasn't it enough to drive home how much of a loser he is compared to Rey in the ST, now they have to visualize this with his OT self?

21. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Absolutely. it's counterproductive.

22. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    aka Poe x1000%

23. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    KEK, very true. Boy did they try with that one. comic, cartoon, YA book, one background, another background (to make him more like Han). Nada worked.

24. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    I thought that was a great storyline for Clara, as well as a pretty solid explanation for the "multipule Claras in different timeframes" thing, but to each there own[face_dunno] - I was really only pointing out that what seems like an insult and a bad thing to you might actually seem like a good thing and compliment to others.

And perhaps Luke will teach Rey something and not the other way around? Or maybe they'll learn something from each other? (after all, sharing is the spirit of Christmas, is'nt it?).

Do you guys honestly believe that their trying to make Luke look bad relative to Rey? Like gesh, is it really so hard for you to imagine that maybe there's not some great conspiracy to bismirch Luke and not only do the ST writers love the character, but think they did'nt dipict him in any way as a "loser?"

Considering he's the one who taught Leia to saber fight in the first place, the fact that she was eventually able to overcome him in a sparring session seems to speak highly, not lowely, of his own abilities to me[face_dunno]

I don't see her beating him up there; I see her getting in a naughty sneak attack on an old, out-of-pratice man who did'nt see her coming and then see him blocking all of her subseqent blows with apparent ease until he slips on wet ground and they both calm the F down before things go any further[face_dunno]

In a non-canon, as-yet-to-be-made comedy kids film that involves her present self time traveling to meet with his past self. I'm sure if I traveled back in time to 1975 I could beat up the Rock pretty easily and maybe teach him a few things about life, but that does'nt mean I could beat him up today or teach him anything.

Good. Disney and LFL should'nt waste time appeasing peaple and, quite frankly, the idea that you apparently think they should implies to me (intentionally or not) that you think your faction of the fandom's interperation of Rey and Luke are more valid then the other elements of the fandom; heck, IMO it's very telling that you say "there's a pattern that fans notice" rather then "there's a pattern that some fans feel exists."

Maybe they don't think their doing it at the expense of Luke? Have you considered that? (heck, I honestly don't even think they think Rey's the greatest Jedi ever)

Evidently it did work though, since I freaking love Poe;)

25. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    the change in Poe was weird. I really liked him in TFA and TLJ as a military pilot who grows into understanding how to be a commander. Would have loved to see him be a general in ROTS

Instead they changed him to the child of Han Solo and Dash Render.