main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How do you build off the Sequel Trilogy moving forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jid123Sheeve, Jul 9, 2020.

1. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    You mean you don't call Han placing the worth of a few Rathtar over his own sons life, growth?![face_laugh]

christophero30 likes this.
  2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    It's possible, but given how poor the Abrams films are (IMHO), I'd imagine he's not as big a fan as he makes out. I think he's more a fan of the nostalgia of it all, which is why, in my opinion, his take was very derivative.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  3. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    I disagree. I think he's a fan of the campy aspect, which i think conflicts with a lot of fans who have read 1000s of pages of star wars books which try to make sense of things which are not all that important.

I think this is most apparent in him bringing back palpatine in TROS. Even tho I think the film fails to wrap things up I do see a lot of that in TROS, as messy as it is imo

K2771991 likes this.
  4. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    I think that masses would. It's really a LOTR/PG-13 GOT set in space. That said, I don't think Disney is the right studio for it. They are too family oriented and KOTOR isn't a family material. They would overload it with jokes in order to appeal to kids, and remove political intrigue also because kids wouldn't follow.

christophero30 likes this.
  5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    But KOTOR with a RO tone could work. It would require some out the box thinking at Disney, as it isn't mainstream to the average person.

6. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    Rogue One was stupid for me. I like the opening and the last act. When Disney tried to put the seven samurai into Black Hawk Down i couldnt help but laugh.

Surprised they didn't license this song for the score.

7. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    7 Samurai in Black Hawk Down lmao! Perfect! =D=

Yeah, not a fan of RO at all so comparison to that movie is a big Yikes.

8. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Fair enough. I really enjoyed it.

9. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I'll gladly take Rogue One's melding of Black Hawk Down and Seven Samurai over The Last Jedi aping Rashomon in sophomoric fashion.

10. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    Age wise? Sure, I'm the same age as a lot of them. But I'm also a Gen Y-er, and for a lot of Y and late X-ers "their" Star Wars was the EU, so that is the generation of fans I fall under; the "Pre-PT, liked the OT well enough but considered the EU the "real" Star Wars" generation.

I remember what I witnessed quite clearly, especially since I contiued to witness it for years afterwards and well into adulthood, and am still witnessing it today.

I think the PT films are pretty bad, but I'm fully aware that's just my opinion and I don't throw fits over how the "ruined" Star Wars, clogging up thread after thread with the same rants over and over. Furthermore, I actually enjoy TPM and ROTS - like, a lot - it's only ATOC I think is badly made and a bad movie.

I don't think it is, but I guess we'll have to wait a few years and see whether or not they all overtake this forum before we find out which of us is right:)

Becuase the argument in question is always brought up as if it means something, and to me it does'nt.

I'd do the opposite. TROS proves pandering accomplishes nothing; double down on ingoring the haters and just focus on telling interesting stories - I don't agree with every decision Lucas made, but I do agree with him taking that approach with his Star Wars outings.

Agree to disagree. You and I must have vastly different applications for what the terms "main" character and "supporting" character are.

The "older mentor guiding the protagonist" is a stock trope and has existed long before Obi-Wan or Han Solo did, so Han being a mentor to Rey does not make him Obi-Wan. I suppose I can acknowldge that they share the same function, in function is defined by being said trope, but of course he does'nt serve the utility becuase he's a seperate character.

Same function, in that all three are the main Jedi character and central protagonist of their trilogy? Sure, if that's what you mean by function. But why should she have the same utility? That would just make the the same exact character doing the same exact thing - Anakin did'nt have the same utility as Luke, so why should Rey have the same utility as Luke and Anakin (and how can she even have the same ulitility as two different characters who themselves have different ultilities?).

Or maybe I just...don't agree with you?:eek:

None of them.

Well IMHO I think TLJ demonstrates that from top to bottom[face_dunno].

It does'nt*, but with the exception of MAYBE TROS dropping the resolution to the Rose/Finn kiss I don't see how it's a loss either.

*actually I'd consider the dropping of the Rey/Finn potential to be a benefit if we're totally honest, since I think the characters are better as freinds and I really don't think Rey needs to be forced into a romance by the narrative; not every movie needs a romantic subplot.

To flesh out Poe's backstory.

No.

Look Bor Mullet! Somebody does like the poop joke!

If he's a nostalgic fan he's still a fan. Just becuase someone makes a movie you don't think got the universe right and was derivative does'nt mean there not a fan.

I'd rather they just remaster and re-canonized the games myself[face_dunno]

My issue is more that PJ seems to be assuming that my veiw *has* to be flawed . My veiw of the PT has'nt really changed much since the first time I saw it (it's more that my veiw of myself and the way I respond to things I don't like have changed) and my veiw of the OT has only changed in a minor way (re. the character of Luke Skywalker and me now liking him more) and that's not due to age but rather the existence of TLJ.

[​IMG]

Nathan Drake.

Why?[face_sick]

Disney is perfectly capable of making darker, more mature films and are'nt all family freindly and jokey.

Also, while K2 was pretty mature and K1's plot was clever and well-written, the first game was super campy to a point that IMO would actually make the OT blush; I mean, heck unmodded the LS/DS dark side choices are all self-rightously good or cartoonishly evil.

Is it really any worse then when Lucas mixed The Hidden Fortress with The Dambusters to make ANH?:D

11. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    I loved R1 though I wasn't expecting anything. Perhaps that's the key. However, I haven't rewatched it as often as the saga films.

12. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    we're actually having a civilized conversation in here today. :p

K2771991 and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Am I missing something?
    There isn't really anything in KOTOR that screams "not family material" or "full of political intrigue". It's very straight forward in its good vs. evil approach and not exactly dark either. It's sort of like ANH. KOTOR II is less grand, more personal, and a bit darker and more brooding, but hardly something that makes it inaccessible to families. Not to mention that both games are full of one-liners and jokes that some find funny and some don't, puns with varying degree of success, and quite a few sarcastic comments, thus any comments about Disney overloading it with jokes makes little sense. KOTOR II might have some elements that really won't sit well with parts of the audience (TLJ-style), but the content itself is not something that people won't get.

I don't see any particular similarity to LOTR or GOT either. Unless you are talking about TOR, which is something entirely different.

K2771991 and Darth PJ like this.
  14. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    If he were merely excised from the romantic subplots of the film, I'd be perfectly fine with that. The problem is that his character is gutted of any meaningful development from TLJ onward.

If anything, TFA proved that long before and made the ST rest on a rickety foundation of fanbase pandering. However, the subsequent film does nothing to really ameliorate that problem as it spends most of the time spinning its wheels and going nowhere on a bunch of elements that don't progress the story in the slightest. If TLJ isn't where Rey has to seriously consider the ramifications of her own power and the lengths she'd be willing to go to in order to protect her newfound family in people like Finn, then TROS definitely wasn't going to do that. Very little of what's bad about TROS is unprecedented from the last two films. Chalking it up to "fan-pandering" is much too convenient.

15. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Who?

Did this character come before or after Indiana Jones? Were they also played by a SW actor who happened to play Han Solo?*

*Perry King? Alden E?

Darth PJ likes this.
  16. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Movie-wise, the character is about to come on for the first time. He is the main character in thr Uncharted video game series. Making a movie out of it had been in development hell for ages. Oscar Isaac was a name talked about for the part. I believe Tom Holland plays him now.

So basically, after Indy.

17. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Comon people everyone knows Tomb Raider pre-dates Indy.

K2771991 and PendragonM like this.
  18. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    For Benjamin Button...probably. :D

19. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    So you are saying Poe Damaroon has more in common with Lara Croft than Nathan Drake? Veeeerrrrry interesting.

K2771991 and christophero30 like this.
  20. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Thankfully they didn't make Oscar wear the short shorts.

21. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    @Oissan Maybe I'm missing something. I thought that KOTOR was epic and told from Revan's POV and that didn't strike me as Marvel comedy type of thing that kids lap up. I heard people describe it as LOTR/GOT in space but if I'm mistaken then screw it. I'm not interested.

@Talos of Atmora

ESB already covered "protecting new family" ground in ESB and TLJ couldn't possibly do it better with far worse characters so it went in a different direction. It was a good call because otherwise it would be a dead end. Also, ramifications of her own power were considered when she discovered Force connection with Kylo aka new power. So it was there albeit in an unexpected way. There's a difference between "I don't like something" and whether something is there or should be there. Ramification of power was explored. Protection of new family wasn't needed because ESB did it well. IMO, ST is the weakest when retracing OT and PT steps without bringing anything new to the table, and the strongest when it tries something new even if "new" is really an unfamiliar/unexpected take on the familiar (example, Rey has a vision that makes her abandon the training but vision isn't of friends suffering like Luke's but of Kylo Ren turning).

@K2771991

Because Ruke is awesome.

K2771991 likes this.
  22. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Considering that all the vision is there for is to render everything Rey feels based on her own experiences with Kylo Ren irrelevant, it's not exactly a strong piece of storytelling and waters down her actually well-constructed reasons to despise him. Kylo Ren's idolatry of Vader is largely treated the same way where Rian basically has Snoke ridicule his mask (despite seeming to prop up Kylo's ambitions much more than Palpatine ever did Vader's by contrast) and Kylo just decides to drop his character-defining, obsessive trait immediately.

It may be weak when retracing the steps of the OT (it never really makes an attempt with the PT), but there's not a whole lot that's actually new that the ST brings to the table as whatever remotely novel and potentially great concepts it introduces, it quickly squanders.

23. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Oh I agree that ST didn't offer a whole lot of new. Which is why it won't stand the test of time unlike PT which, for all execution faults, was brimming with new ideas and had fantastic world building. So people return to that.

24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Honestly I think the best way to build off the ST is to just take something really small and expand on that, a secondary character or even a background character. Take Wedge, to use an OT example, he’s basically just a glorified extra with a handful of lines, but he’s awesome enough that Stackpole and Allston wrote nearly a dozen x-wing books about, both expanding the character we see on screen and also telling new stories that show what happens next following the films. They are excellent books, still among my all time favorites.

Or take Quinlan Vos, he’s a background character in TPM, blink and you miss him, it’s difficult to catch him even if you’re trying. But John Ostrander and Jan Duursema thought the character was cool enough to create dozens of comics around, the character even later gets an appearance in the TCWs animation, his padawan even gets a live action appearance in AOTC.

Now there’s maybe not a lot to go from the ST, the world building is so thin and bland, but still, I’m sure someone could come up with something. Zori or Jannah are probably the two most likely candidates I can think of.

K2771991 and Darth PJ like this.
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007