main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks How do you eat in costume?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by JedHead1, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    For my padawan braid, I just snap it off, and snap it back on when I'm done. :)

2. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    That's why I'm asking if his is real.

3. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    At a Vietnamese parade last week, one of the 501st was so hungry waiting to march that he accidentally ate the microphone on his headset while he was eating a roll! [face_laugh]

4. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    hahaha see now that's dangerous!!

When I'm in Leia, in all her glorious whiteness, I have to be very careful! I don't eat anything messy, always use straws for drinks (Which is essential so as not to stuff up the makeup!) and even be careful of condensation on drinks. I accidently spilt some sauce on my JEdi tunic when I wore it, but thankfully the tabbard/vest covered it!!

I guess the main thing is, be careful of messy foods!

5. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    You can certainly say that again.

6. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    Meat on a stick....you know like Cameron told Ben in Something about Mary.
    Corn Dogs, Carot sticks, Celery sticks, raw veggies, pretzels, water or other clear liquids in a lidded bottle with a straw. Never anything with a sauce or a drippy, juicey inside. Stay away from greasy foods too or something with powdery or crumbly outside. I use utensils and lots of draped napkins and/or I stand while I eat hold the food away from my costumes. Plan to return to my hotel or dressing room when I need a bathroom break unless simple costume like my Jedi or Imperial officer stuff. Those require no extra logistics to speak of.

7. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002

Hi Fett-Man,

Pardon the lag between responces. Work and such.
    It's a she,baby.)Ok BAD austin Powers quipe, but eh. worth a try.;-)

yep the braid was real. VERY attached to my head. The tail came down to my waist.. It was attached until my cat did a sneak attack and ran off with it. He scalped me, man. Akk. :confused:
    Whatta' way to be knighted, sheesh. :)

8. JediKnightGareth

JediKnightGareth Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    Intravenously? it's the only way to absolutely guarantee no mess. otherwise I'd stick to colorless liquids via straw and dry (granola like) solids.

9. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Step 1: Order Food
    Step 2: Remove Bucket
    Step 3: Eat said food
    Step 4: Wipe hands off
    Step 5: Put Bucket back on

10. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Go back to your hotel room with your food. Get one of those nice large sized hotel towels. Use it as a bib. ;)

11. a-tastic

a-tastic Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    For real with the towel-bib!

Listen, I can't eat without spilling food on me normally, much less in costume.
    I pretty much cover myself in napkins from neck to lap, and sometimes sleeves, when I'm eating...Or, I go back to my room and pull a George Constanza and disrobe.

and avoid sandwiches. and ribs. and soup.
    actually, you know, meat on a stick...that's the ticket!
    they're right, that's your best bet.

12. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    A funny picture would be a table full of ANH Leias all using the tablecoth as bibs. :D

13. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Sometimes, I change before I eat. Sometimes, I only eat non-messy items to keep me going (granola bars, bagels, banana...) This weekend, I requested extra napkins. Yes, I read this thread and requested photographic evidence from WonderCon.

[image=http://kay-dee.net/wondercon-07/eating.jpg]

14. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    [face_laugh]

Was that the Chevy's brunch?

15. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I called it lunch since it was around 1:00 after our RL photo shoot ;)

16. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    What a cute picture of you kay_dee! :D

17. TheMuffin

TheMuffin Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Man this just made me soooo hungry. Darn me and wanting to actually fit into my Mandalorian armor.

18. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    I just wrap whatever I'm eating (like a sandwich) in napkins so that the napkins get besotted, not my Jedi robes.

Also when I'm at a con, I'm usually eating granola bars and drinking water with Emergen C in it. That's my usual con rations.

19. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    Love the pic, Kay Dee!
    I loved reading everyone's input! Eating in costume isn't something you think on much until you sit down at the table and realize, "Oh, crap...one blob of ketchup falls and months of work goes down the drain!" At C3, my friends and I stopped at the food court in the adjacent mall...someone at a neighboring table spilled their drink and we bolted like someone yelled rat! LOL...:)

20. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    LOL. Almost as deadly.:-D

I try to use washable fabrics.. Although once, I was VERY thankful for the brown Jedi gear. Daytripping to a local Con, the person driving my friends and i stopped a bit hard. My coffee spilled into my lap,tabbords, tunic hem and down my leg into my boot. YOUTCH!!@ doesn't cover how that hurt. Amazingly I didn't even yelp. Got to Con, helped my dealer friend set up then asked if they has some handy wipes or water. He passed a 32 ounce cup with one of those foam dinos in it and napkins. I got the coffee stain out of the tabbords and pants, but I smelled like coffee all day.:-D java jedi coming through.

21. Quinten_JarVos

Quinten_JarVos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2004
    Scout - Easy, Sit down, Gloves off, Helmet Down
    Darth Nihilus - Harder, usually Balacalva off, sit down, gloves off

It's not the eating that bothers me, it's the needing for toilet when wrapped in layers of plastic armor :p

22. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999

Sheesh, I do that out of costume! ;)

23. Jo-Nich

Jo-Nich Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 25, 2005
    Going to my first con this year. Not sure if I plan to eat much in my armor as the food there will most likely be EXPENSIVE. I might give that "granola bar and water with emergen C" trick a tryout. I assume the Emergen C is to keep from getting sick around the millions of people there?

I'm going to be hot in my costume and have thought about hiding a Camelback waterpack on my back...but worry about drinking too much and having to go to the bathroom a lot.

24. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Some sandtrooper at ComicCon a while back had water and a cup dispenser as part of his backpack!

25. TheMuffin

TheMuffin Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    For some reason I have a vision of the thing Adam Sandler had on his back in the Waterboy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.