main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW "How do you kill a man without Fear?" Daredevil Meet idea

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The_Scream_Man, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    DareDevil is a successful Marvel title, I know that, but it's hardly "mainstream" in the sense that it's not really in the popular conscience before the movie is out. People all know of Spiderman, the X-Men and the Hulk, even without the aid of films, because they've been brought into the mainstream via cartoons, etc. DD never had that. DD's like Ghost Rider and Punisher - a more adult concept insofar as you have a man beating the snot out of criminals in Hell's Kitchen, which is a tiny part of NYC. Even his "connection" to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is only geek knowledge!

One thing DareDevil reminded me of was the PC game Max Payne! :D

E_S

2. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    It did?
    WHy?

3. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

The FF NSW/Upper Hunter meet for Daredevil was a success!

Members in attendance:

Ozhaggis

Good popcorn flick, but was a bit over the top in parts. Basically "Let's put the best bits of Batman & Spiderman in one movie and see what happens..." I mean, I was just sitting there comparing them at one point ... which shouldn't really happen.

Colin Farrell's crazy eye acting reminded me of a really bad 80s psycho movie... but he was okay when he was just doing the tough irish guy thing - although I thought some of his 'tricks' were just so over the top that it was getting a bit silly ... or is it just me?

4. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    I think part of the appeal is being a comic fan. In the comic Ive seen Bullseye have teeth knocked out and then flick those at Daredevil. And theres no way DD should survive half those jumps. U just have to sit back and watch it be a comic book in real life.

As for the Spiderman and Batman comparisons, I dont really see it. The opening and ending monologue was a bit Spiderman, but thatds about it. Just because hes a bad ass doesnt mean he's like Batman. Hell The Punisher is a bad ass, and hes nothing LIKE Batman OR Daredevil!

5. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

re: Batman comparisons

*POSSIBLE MILD SPOILERS*

Batman / DD: orphans who work as philanthropists by day and arse-kicking masked vigilantes with an extraordinary level of martial arts training by night...

Alfred / Priest: said orphans loyal aide, supporting our hero but quietly wishing he would stop all this nonsense and get a life.

Electra / Catwoman : female vigilantes who also show a surprising level of martial arts training - at least, catwoman does, for a former secretary - tho Electra's training is at least explained - but isn't it strange that she's been trained by martial arts experts since she was five and yet can still get a whupping from a blind guy who's training consisted mostly of pounding a punching bag?

Knox/Urich : cheap hack reporter who knows the truth but everyone laughs at him, threatens to uncover the true identity of our hero but mainly just ends up being used for cheap laughs. Btw - I hope he gets his keyboard fixed: a delete key that backspaces over every word in a document has gotta be a risk for any reporter ...

etc.

6. Adm_voss_parck

Adm_voss_parck Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2002
    Btw - I hope he gets his keyboard fixed: a delete key that backspaces over every word in a document has gotta be a risk for any reporter

[face_laugh]

Saw the Kings premiere on Monday night, the reaction was mixed, even from serious daredevil fans. Mixed reactions mostly hinged on the fighting and the seeming lack of intensity to DD's fight scenes. One person commented that Matt moved too slow and that the lighting didn't allow you to see all the action.

I think for most people the highlight was either DD -v- Kingpin/Bullseye or the X2 trailer.

For those who haven't seen the theatre trailer for X2 yet, keep your eyes open for the last scene in the trailer, worth the wait in comic value!

7. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    Some responses:

"*Batman / DD: orphans who work as philanthropists by day and arse-kicking masked vigilantes with an extraordinary level of martial arts training by night...*"

First of all, DD is not a philantropist. He's a criminal lawyer. In the comics, hge doesnt usually take pro-bono cases. That was added to humanise Matt as a character I assume. Bruce Wayne is a Multi Millionaire who uses his money as a front. In fact Bruce wayne is more the mask for Batman, whereas DD is the secondary identity for Matt. As for the martial arts training, A lot of Matts trainign comes from his balance and radar. Bruce trained under a lot of different martial artists.

"*Alfred / Priest: said orphans loyal aide, supporting our hero but quietly wishing he would stop all this nonsense and get a life.*"

Alfred is actually fairly supportive of Bruce. While he does wish for Bruce to have a normal life, he actively takes a part in Batman and Bruces lives, in order to make them as normal and safe as he can. he also raised Bruce. The priest in DD only heard his confessions, and apparently would have helped Matt had Bullseye not shown up. I personally think they were different characters and were portrayed that way.

"*Electra / Catwoman : female vigilantes who also show a surprising level of martial arts training - at least, catwoman does, for a former secretary - tho Electra's training is at least explained - but isn't it strange that she's been trained by martial arts experts since she was five and yet can still get a whupping from a blind guy who's training consisted mostly of pounding a punching bag? *"

Electra wasnt a vigilante. The only time she fights is to face DD who she blames for her fathers death. For that matter, Catwoman was after vengence as well, so I suppose there is a similarity in that, but I can list a lot of other similar situations from any number of films across a number of genres. incidentally, Electra was trained to be an assassin in the comics, and i think its vaguely hinted at in the film. As for Matts training, I said that already. And keep in mind by the time the film has started, hes been DD for some time. That would help in experience as well. Keep in mind Spideys moves and he hasnt had trainign either.

"*Knox/Urich : cheap hack reporter who knows the truth but everyone laughs at him, threatens to uncover the true identity of our hero but mainly just ends up being used for cheap laughs. Btw - I hope he gets his keyboard fixed: a delete key that backspaces over every word in a document has gotta be a risk for any reporter ...*"

Actually Urich is a well known and respected reporter. Hes at that big party, and he writes for a well known and respected paper. Not a cheap hack at all. As for wanting to know the heros identity: Hes a reporter. This surprises you?

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, Craig, it was just the whole Dark New York look that did it for me.

Since nobody's commented, do you guys know the DD/TMNT connection? :)

(Craig, you can answer if you want since I'm willing to bet you know the answer!)

ES

9. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    The ooze that mutated the turtles is the same stuff that made little Matt blind. :cool:

Go TMNT! :D :p

I saw DD again tonight. I withdraw my previous allegation, girls enjoy the flick too. I saw it with my sis and she really liked it. The woman sitting next to me choked when Bullseye clocked DD in the throat. Second time around the Matt/Elektra romance was more believable, but maybe cos I knew what was coming and when it was coming.

10. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    And there are a lot more parallels as well. DD badguys are the hand, in TMNT it was the Foot.

yada yada.. I cant be bothered listing more...

11. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000
    Oh sure, smack down my whimsical comparison to Batman, but lap up the Ninja Turtles parallels :p

12. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    Well yes, but Eastman and Laird based a lot of their sendup series on the Dardevil series "Man without fear" by Frank Miller. I dont disagree with the parallels because they are proven by the creators. If the DD filmmakers say "Yes we nicked these from Batman" then Ill be ok with it :D ;) :p

13. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    I saw DD today. I thought it was pretty good. I can certainly see the "similarities" to Batman (cool, dark, Keaton Batman, not wacky, zany West/Clooney Batman) but that's just because of the character of Daredevil. Certainly no Spiderman similarities to speak of.

Although I think it was really pushing the suspension of disbelief there at the end - ie: Daredevil "recovering" from his wounds enough to fight Bullseye and Kingpin, the braille (sp?) charm...

Actually, the one Batman/Daredevil comparison that I think stood out the most to me (other than the molded leather suit), was the fact that Matt keeps a rather large selection of his tools of the trade - multiple suits, masks, canes, etc... I understand the reason for this, but still, that's gotta cost a fair bit of money, even if he does make them himself (but that's pushing the suspension of disbelief again).

Anyway, I think ultimately, I'd have to rate DD higher than Spiderman, mostly because DD didn't have too much cheese. Probably equal to or second place to Batman/Batman Returns but definately superior to Forever and Batman and Robin.

As for trailers, got to see Matrix, X2 and LXG, in that order (my that's a lot of x's :D).

I'd already seen Matrix and X2 on my computer, so LXG was completely new to me, and I liked it. Matrix and X2 both really go without saying. They look kick-ass.

Well, there is one thing that can be said, and that's BAMF. But the one thing that stuck out at me was a brief shot of what looked like a romance between Storm and Wolvie (It's definately Wolvie, I can't be 100% sure about Storm).

Now this bugs me. I mean, it was bad enough with Rogue practically drooling over Wolvie in X1, but now that she's busy with Billy, Storm wants a piece. Maybe it's just because of the whole Jackman/Berry/Swordfish thing, but I really, really, really don't want to see a Storm/Wolvie romance. I mean, goodness, aren't Jean/Cyc, Rogue/Iceman enough? If X2 needs 3 different romances to help drive the plot then I'd really rather they didn't make an X3 at all. Maybe that's a bit radical, but I think it gets my point across.

Oh, and it was cool to see Colossus, even if he's not going to be a main character (he didn't get his name displayed like Nightcrawler and Pyro).

14. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I'm surprised you didn't pick up on the other romance shot in the X2 trailer (which I'll shut up about cos it might sound like spoilers to some people). ;)

I think DD has some cheese. Like those hero shots of DD, they stuck out for me. An example is when Foggy says something like "You wanna go out and get drunk tonight?" and Matt replies "Not tonight, I've got work to do". There's a cheesy close-up that cuts to DD suiting up there. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I paid for my movie ticket so I can do that. :p

15. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    I think that there was Wolvioe kissing Jean in the trailer, but where did u pull Storm n Wolvie from?

16. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Alrighty, I watched it again.

There is definately something going on between Jean and Wolvie, but I wasn't mistaken.

If you back it up to around 2:05 then you'll see that I wasn't mistaken either. That is definately Storm and Wolvie right there.

Of course, now I've gotta ask - why? Are they now trying to appeal to the masses - get Jackman in as many romantic scenes as possible, because then the female portion of the audience will keep on coming back, no matter what?

Ugh. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.