main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge How far we've come. A celebration of your progress as a writer

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit' , May 19, 2021.

1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Hello everyone!

All of us have heard the idea that “practice makes perfect”, but how many of us ever look back to see how far we’ve come as writers?

This is what this challenge is all about - to get you to look back at your first story and then see how far you’ve come.

It’ll work a bit like this:

• Find your oldest (or one of your first) fanfic posts. Take a snippet from that fic.
    • Rewrite that scene using everything you’ve learnt as a writer.
    • Post the two scenes side by side in the relevant thread in either the SWFF or the NSWFF.
    • Don’t change your original fic, that means no correcting any terrible spelling, punctuation mistakes or use of the word ‘orbs’.
    • Title them with the title, character, and year you wrote it|
    • Read through other people’s submissions and give them feedback! Celebrate how far we’ve come as writers.

Questions:

How long can my snippet be?

Snippets should be about 500 words (not everything!)

How long can the rewrite be?
    Rewrites should be <600 words

What needs to stay the same?
    You need to keep the events the same (it basically needs to be recognisable as the same scene).

What if I can’t find my very first fic?
    That’s okay. Just pick something that’s close to the start of when you started writing fanfic.

You put the year it was published in there. Why?
    Sometimes part of the fun is seeing the time you’ve been writing too.

My first fic is full of spelling errors. Can’t I just change them?
    Nope. Part of it is to see how much you’ve changed. Flaws are fine.

I’m still unsure what it’ll look like…
    That's okay, here’s a very quick example (that I made up for this):

Skywalking - 2010
    Obi-wan looked at Anakin, his icy-blue orbs wet with tears he was overcome with emotion at the thought that Qui-Gon was dead and he would never see his Master again.

Skywalking 2020
    Obi-wan tried to repress a sigh as he looked down at his young charge. He wasn’t old enough to be a Master yet. He found himself desperately wishing that Qui-Gon was still around to advise him. His chest tightened and his tears pricked the corners of his eyes as he realised he’d never hear his Master’s voice again.

Enjoy, have fun! Can't wait to see what people do!

Also, please once you’ve posted yours have a look through and give some feedback! Try and find a post that has no comments ~ we all thrive on feedback!

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Challenge Index Responses:

Star Wars Fan Fiction

@Kit' - Ultra Stressed Jedi Students - 2000 - 2021 - Link
    2. @earlybird-obi-wan - Colour of a Healer - 2007-2021 - Link
    3. @pronker - Chaos On A Veranda - 2007-2021 - Link
    4. @DaenaBenjen42 - Obsessed with Flowers - 2005 - 2021 - Link

Non-Star Wars Fan Fiction

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    This is such a fantastic idea for a challenge! Or, well, a celebration really is more accurate, to see how far we've all progressed in our abilities. Looking back through my own earliest works was a cringe-fest today, to say the least, and the entries we already have submitted are just pure gold. I can't wait to see what all comes of this! :D [face_dancing] [:D]

4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I love the idea of this celebration and how it encourages us to focus on how much we have grown as writers! [face_love]

Looking back on my first story posted to this site for this rewrite, I did realize just how much I had evolved as a writer, which is something I don't often think about or give myself much credit for, so it was wonderful to have my own attention drawn to how much I have grown by continuing to write and experiment with my fanfic.

It also made me appreciate even more how much the encouragement and support of this community of friendly readers and fellow writers has helped keep me inspired and improving as a writer so hugs all around to everyone[:D]

And a special thanks to @Kit' for hosting this event=D=

Kit' , amidalachick and Findswoman like this.