main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How has fanfiction ruined your life? ( Humorous)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Herman Snerd, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    I'm also guilty of carrying a notebook around. Usually I can justify it because I'm still in school, but if anyone actually looked at it they would see fanfic notes outnumber class related notes by a margin of at least 2 to 1. And if I'm at work (I'm a cashier at a grocery store), I'll write on the back of receipts, napkins, people's discarded shopping lists, whatever I can get my hands on. Then there's the fact that I spend much, much more time working on fanfiction or cruising the internet looking for fanfiction to read than I do writing and reading the things I need to for school.

2. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks for the humorous disclaimer Herman, I was about to tell you to take it to comms. :p

I don't know if it's ruined my life, but my students' comments on their papers tend to be more encouraging. :D I've also reached the point that I read very little profic and when I do I catch myself making comments in the margins.

3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005

I'll pitch in, too. We could start a fund. I wonder what Obi-wan would use for a man-bag. Maybe one day he finds a man-bag discarded in an old locker, and there's a note inside...

oh nuts. I did it again, didn't I? :p

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    "Hey, it's a new Television series!

How can I cross it over with Star Wars?"

And so on, and so on, and so on...

5. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    omg

GUILTY

Sometimes that is the only place I can write!

6. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Hmm... what elements of THAT can I use... Oh, they have wonderful talking scenes in that movie, book, show, ect. ect.

Herman, a backpack works, too... :)

I make it a point to buy pens at least once a year because I don't want to run out of them.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Diva running through dialogue--sign of a creative mind always on the go. :D

Fanfiction has spoiled me: everything I read proficwise, especially SW, I compare to the fanfics I'm reading. I keep a constant editorial comment going as I read--commenting on the characters: what they're doing, what they should do next, what were they thinking when they did that numbwitted thing, what they should've said. :)

I've been so thoroughly entertained that I think: this better be as good as so-&so's story, or I won't be interested for long. [face_laugh]

8. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Fanfic has spoiled me to the point I don't like most Star Wars profic (once a staple in my life). Altho that might be a good thing, I can just store fanfic on my computer so now I have tons more shelf space [face_laugh]

Come to think of it, our last move was much easier. Only 9 boxes of books instead of ten!

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I can no longer enjoy the radio. Every song becomes a songfic bunny.

I can no longer go on a date. It turns into a H/L introspective.

I no longer speak to my roommates. We just pm updates.

10. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    You have dates? Well, that puts you a step ahead of me.[face_laugh]

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, my last one was in June...

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Still better than me...

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, did I mention that I dream in crossovers now as a result of fanfic?

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    That's me, too. *Sigh*

15. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    Well, it can surely make a good marriage run a muck when all you do is drool over the 'boy toys' of Star Wars.:p

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Well, it can surely make a good marriage run a muck when all you do is drool over the 'boy toys' of Star Wars.

That's why I do so discreetly! :p

And actually, I've used things from my marriage in fan fiction. Luckily, he never reads a thing I write! :D

And even more fortunately, we still get out on dates at least once a month! The upside of marriage and older kids is that you have a built in date for the weekends. [face_whistling]

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, my ex was very tolerant of my life-size Obi-Wan cutout when we were dating, but he remained in my single apartment as soon as we got married.

18. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I have Qui-Gon, Anakin, and Obi-Wan folded up and put under our bed. :p

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Skeletons in the closet, cardboard 'neath the bed...

20. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    It's bad when you start quoting one liners from your favorite SW stories in real life conversations.:D

21. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I now devise my plots during my workout at the gym. Gives me something halfway entertaining to "do" instead of staring off into vacant space while enjoying my stint on the elliptical machine.

I had to bite my tongue to remind myself that when a professor asks you what you did this summer, writing Star Wars fanfiction is not an acceptable answer.

I'll see if I can come up with anything else.

Oh, and this thread gets the honor of my 2000th post. Ironic.

22. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    By beta alarm goes off in books, too. Usually it doesn't keep be from enjoying them, though I can recall a case where it drove me nuts . . . and now I have to work hard to keep from saying that someone beta'd something rather than edited it (in RL).

I have dreams about star wars, and about the boards. I'm not kidding. I have nightmares about it.

Other than that, my writing skills have seriously improved. I was really pleased when my mom commented on it when she edited an English essay I wrote a couple days ago. She probably wasn't so pleased when I told her why they had improved.

Oh, and also, I can type without looking at the keyboard now, which I just noticed this week :D

23. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This really cracked me up. Good one, ophelia.

On a similar note, I was attending a wedding with my family and the priest, I swear, walked out in an light brown Jedi cloak and I almost lost it. My kid kept hitting me in the side and making hissing noises. But when I whispered why I was trying not to laugh, she started as well. It was really very hard... [face_laugh]

24. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Yeah... I haven't written much at all regarding fan fiction since the summer. School and the awards ate my muses.

I've had dreams about fan fiction too... but usually they were nightmares about the awards. Those were scary dreams.

Heh. I too have felt bad about not writing during my dry spells. And during the summer any romantic song would brew a plot bunny. Heck, I even wrote a story for my boyfriend on our anniversary.. [face_blush]

25. palpyisgod2

palpyisgod2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2005
    not exactly stories, per se, but I did quote Obi-Wan's "A lot of the things we believe depend greatly on our point of view" shpiel in biology. (this was because we were discussing ethics and genetic tampering)

edit: spleeling

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.