main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How has fanfiction ruined your life? ( Humorous)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Herman Snerd, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I absolutely swear this is true. I was watching Project Runway on Bravo and I started thinking about that scene in Union where Mara is trying on all the really inappropriate & just-plain-ugly attempts to design a wedding gown for her. A humor crossover fleetingly slipped across my mind. Thankfully it kept right on going.

[face_thinking] Maybe Heidi Klum was a Twi'lek in another life. (Maybe she still is, she just hides the lekku.)

Scene:
    Luke watches two students making a mess out of their katas. "Hmmm. Well, make it work, people." [/Tim Gunn voice]

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Yep, you are totally doomed! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Loved Diane's wedding story as well. It's funny that I can't see that type of robe without thinking Jedi as well. :D

3. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999

I'm just surprised the thread title wasn't immediately mod-edited to say "Allegedly Humorous." :p Thank goodness my fellow fanficcers have provided some of Teh Funnay.

Hold on a second, I thought only guys did our best thinking in the bathroom. :eek: My illusions are falling down all around me.

Speaking of fanfiction ruination, how much happier would we all be if we'd never suffered through weeks and months of Darth Writer's Block? [face_mischief]

4. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    LOL, Well for one thing, now I'm too self conscious to post because I know there are dozens of people out there reading that are trained and ready to spot typos... :p and I can't type. ;)

5. musingmiyu

musingmiyu Jedi Master star 1

Aug 5, 2006
    Actually... my fandom torments me through sleeping and dreams...

I had a dream where Anakin cut down the boogeyman, but I have yet to think about how I can fit that into a story. ;-;

6. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Life?...What life?! :p

7. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    It could be argued that fanfiction is the reason I didn't manage to pass Computer Architecture, but I'll cite a number of other reasons that are far less embarassing when most people ask me. :p Really, it was 'cause the CS servers kept eating my animation projects, thus forcing me to do most of them twice... fanfic had nothing to do with it!

8. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005

Princess Cambria wrote:
    Well, it can surely make a good marriage run a muck when all you do is drool over the 'boy toys' of Star Wars.

I put up an Anakin Wallpaper on my computer, you know the one Vadey likes to use for her icon with Anakin bare chested and my husband was mad at me for two days! Now I have motorcycles. Apparently he can drool and I cant!

I stay up too late and havent watched tv with my family for ages. All my free time is lost on the boards these days or trying to hammer out a post.

9. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    I blame fanfiction for not having a boyfriend, ever. It seems like a convienent scapegoat don't you think? I couldn't date... I was busy writing. :p[face_blush]:([face_peace] Anyway, I feel better about it. I can write a better date than any I've been on, and won't feel embarressed by the end.

On the positive, I wouldn't have met one of my best friends if my other best freind/roommate hadn't been reading fanfiction, discovered the writer lived nearby, and invited her to visit.

Some people have normal lives. Some people talk to their friends about Stuff and Things, we more often than not, talk about fanfiction.

"Will you beta this? Have you read ___? Did you like___? Could you help me with ___ fanfic problem?"

;)

10. Angel_9

Angel_9 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2002
    Well I will toss my hat in here as well.

I am not a notebook user anymore, but I do have scraps of paper everywhere, it kind of like that scene in 8 Mile where he is on the bus with a scrap of paper scribbling down ideas as they come to him sort of thing. Well that?s me.

In fact just last week a pulled out a suit jacket that I haven?t worn in months, well closer to a year, and what do I find in the pocket but a sheet (8.5 by 11) both sides filled with notes and scraps of conversations for all sorts of fanfics. So this weekend I am going to go through all my jackets and see what treasures I can dig up.

11. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Ruined my life, perhaps not, but it has definitely absorbed a large portion of my attention. I find that plot bunnies assault me on a regular basis and what book or show I happen to be reading or watching will spark more. Trouble is, I'm a vig guy or a poem guy. No epics here. So most of the ideas I get or short term. I like it that way.

12. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    On the positive, I wouldn't have met one of my best friends if my other best freind/roommate hadn't been reading fanfiction, discovered the writer lived nearby, and invited her to visit.

Same here! I met some of my closest friends through Fan Force, which I wouldn't have found had it not been for TFN's fanfiction. Well, maybe I would have, but either way I'm grateful for my band of pals. [face_love]

13. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I stay up too late and havent watched tv with my family for ages. All my free time is lost on the boards these days or trying to hammer out a post.

Boy, I have to agree with that statement...That is my life in a nutshell...:p

FL @};-

14. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    I blame fanfiction for not having a boyfriend, ever. It seems like a convienent scapegoat don't you think? I couldn't date... I was busy writing. Anyway, I feel better about it. I can write a better date than any I've been on, and won't feel embarressed by the end.
    SoE dont worry there is hope yet!

Hey just a thought, has anyone tried to meet or has met someone at a convention or regional fanforce meeting? I have this one patient that found out I am a SW geek and slowly has admitted to his own obsession with SW, ST, Smallville ( he goes to the conventions, he revealed that after the 3rd appointment)and now when he comes in, we have great conversations. If I were single it would have definitely been an area of interest.

15. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I remember reading Swarm War and keeping a running tally in my head of reasons why it would have been rejected from the TFN Archive.

[face_laugh]

[edit] forgot a word

16. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    LOL, Oh if only Trace. :p *daydreams about rejecting the whole NJO* ;)

17. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    I compare chapter lengths in books to chapter lengths in fanfics. I mentally scream at the idea of staring at my screen to read 10,000 words in one sitting. :p

18. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    When you come into these threads late, everyone else has already posted the good stories. :p On the other hand, it's nice to know that I'm not alone on any of this. :D [:D]

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Ophelia, I love you. You just summed up my entire fanfic life more beautifully than I ever could. [face_love]

I had a plot bunny for a SW/Trading Spaces crossover once. :D

Soooo much happier. :( Of course, if not for fanfic, we wouldn't have the oh-so-catchy phrase "Darth Writer's Block" . . . :p

Me too. :D I just read CotJ and Darksaber for the first time (research purposes; I'd always boycotted them before :p ) and all I could think about was the reviewer note I'd write to the editors explaining my reasons for rejecting if only they'd been submitted fics. [face_laugh]

Also like many others, I carry paper with me for fanfic notes. We all have to wear employee ID badges where I work, and we have an extremely diverse staff. Even though I've never been much of an OC writer, I scribble down each interesting name for possible future use. My desk and purse are cluttered with scraps of paper covered with plot bunnies, interesting names, and snatches of description that I want to use on those elusive days where my muse actually works. :p

Many of my closest friends are from the fanfic community. That's a hard one to explain to other people. "Yes, we live in different states . . . No, I don't call her much; I PM her . . . No, not e-mail, PM . . . No, I've never met her in real life . . . Real life meaning not online stuff . . . Well, we met when we read each other's fanfic . . . Oh, fanfic is when people write stories about fandoms just for fun . . . Um, a fandom is . . ." And so on, and so on. :p

Once when a co-worker caught me scribbling stories at work (and after I'd gone through the whole explanation of what fanfic is and why I bother to read and write it), for the next several weeks he'd regularly ask me what characters I'd killed off lately. Telling him that I really wasn't much of an angst writer didn't seem to cut it. :p

And Herman, get a European carryall. ;) O:)

19. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    * laughs *

Last weekend, I finally told my mom the whole story of my online life. She'd known I was into some Star Wars fansite, and that I'd done something called 'moderating', but she had no idea what any of that meant. I went over the whole thing with the history of the fanfic boards, and all that went on here last year. Her response was to ask if I was psychotic [face_laughing] Sort of like, "Don't you have a job, and kids in REAL LIFE?"

20. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    How has fanfic ruined my life? I'd like to think it's improved it, but that may only be wishful thinking... :p

Many of my closest friends are from the fanfic community. That's a hard one to explain to other people. "Yes, we live in different states . . . No, I don't call her much; I PM her . . . No, not e-mail, PM . . . No, I've never met her in real life . . . Real life meaning not online stuff . . . Well, we met when we read each other's fanfic . . . Oh, fanfic is when people write stories about fandoms just for fun . . . Um, a fandom is . . ." And so on, and so on.

[face_laugh] That was pretty much the conversation I had with my mom when I explained all of this a while back. My dad is still in the dark. ;) People generally don't question me about fanfiction writing (mostly because they don't know), except, of course, my inquisitive grandmother. Things got a little interesting when I was scheduled to help with the Beyond Awards ceremony and my family decided at the last minute to have a lunch get-together that day for my aunt's birthday. Noon board time is 2pm my time and it took some careful explaining to make my mom understand that I needed to get home as soon as possible. When my grandma asked about it, I didn't even attempt to explain the situation.

Grandma: So you have a 'job' to do this afternoon?
    Me: *pause, pause* Yes...
    Grandma: You're not leaving the house, are you?
    Me: No, Grandma.

Luckily she let it drop. Otherwise I probably would've been standing there in the resturant's parking lot explaining the internet until well past two... ;)

I try to get all of my homework done at home so I can spend my entire study hall working on my latest fic... [face_whistling]

EDIT: 'except', 'expect'... Whatever. It's Friday. I've had a long week at school. My brain is fried. :p

21. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Sometimes when I'm reading a book, I'll imagine the emoticons I'd use to express my reactions, were I replying to a fic on the boards. Lately the faces seem to be: :eek: [face_laugh] [face_love]

A few days ago, I was reading a really bad romance novel, and I kept noticing how the POV would shift within a single chapter. That's definitely something I wouldn't have noticed without fanfic. :p

22. Handmaiden_Azul

Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Let's see it has taken over my whole summer so that I am at it several hours a day. And also when I read my bible I underline names that would make good star wars ones!

23. musingmiyu

musingmiyu Jedi Master star 1

Aug 5, 2006
    I'm guilty of that too! [face_blush]

And whenever I read the book of Luke... I just can't go anywhere w/o thinking 'Star Wars'!

24. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I'm afraid all these fanfics here have ruined my life. I'm coming to the point where I don't like to read the novels in my room, I want to read fanfics. Or I read a SW book and think: "There are so many fanfic authors who can write better and their plots are more interesting."

I actually like Kyp Durron now...
    I don't know. Fanfics gave me a much deeper look into the characters than the novels.

Oh man, I even like Anakin Skywalker a bit more now... *sighs*

Anyone else having this "problem"?

25. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Hubby was helping me switch out computers this weekend. So, we're setting up TFN. And he's asking me my user name and password. I give it, standing over his shoulder and making a mental note to change my password, of course! And then he looks up at the header. "Hey, your user name is the same as that one in blue." :rolleyes: Really? You don't say. Of course, this was after I explained that I couldn't log in on the new computer and he said, "Well, you have to type in your password." I had no clue! No wonder I've been having such difficulties! :oops:

So fan fiction has given me a secret life that must be guarded at all costs. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.