main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How has TCW changed the PT for you?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Libs, Nov 12, 2018.

1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I hate to break it to you, but the PT is part of a series of children's movies. Well, they're more accurately "all-ages" movies--you know, just like TCW is an all-ages cartoon series.

darkspine10 likes this.
  2. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    I dont agree with that. PT is for all ages whilst TCW is specifically more targeted to under 16s.

If an adult was looking for SW material suitable to their age I could recommend them the pt, but I would absolutely not recommend them TCW. Would you feel comfortable recommending both materials equally to such a person (based purely on maturity levels of the content, not the quality of it)?

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You know that George Lucas himself said that Star Wars were kids films?

He was talking about ANH specifically here, but I think it applies to most of the films minus perhaps ROTS

4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Yes, I would reccomend both.

TCW has terrorist suicide bombing plots. It has beheadings. It has the deaths of named main characters. It has deep dives into the metaphysical. There are moments in this show that are the darkest and most mature in the entire canon.

Sure, there are lighter comedic episodes, but this is Star Wars. What's TPM if not the lighter comedic opening?

Animation isn't just for kids. And Star Wars isn't just aimed at adults.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I think what's really weird is I'm seeing a major influx of people who hate the PT but like TCW. So for a lot of people, TCW is a reboot of that Era and Matt Lanter's Anakin can be mentally separated from Hayden. It's basically if Leonardo Dicaprio did Anakin, people can reinterpret that. What's even stranger that TCW still takes place within the prequel Era established by the PT and contains tropes that people complained about (Battle Droids being silly, for example). So, it's quite weird a lot of TCW fans want the show and the PT to be isolated.

I don't like that one bit. Kind of ironic that the PT fanbase had to fight OT fans and ST fans, but it looks like we got to fight TCW fans too. Really strange how that turns out.

Jedi Knight Fett, Tonyg and wobbits like this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    There are alternatives to fighting.

Deliveranze and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  7. boonjj

Jan 21, 2016
    dark themes do not void something from being made for children. Kids material can include dark themes, in fact they often do. Tone, character motivations and responses, and whatnot, all play their part too. And in those regards tcw is certainly more child focused.

TPM is the lighter opening. So what? The film is still presented as more mature overall with its politics and worldbuilding and dialogue. But yea tPM is actually my least favourite prequel because of its more child and light focused tone than the other 2 films. Jarjar, the podrace, how annie destroys the tf ship, etc, are all things that bring the movie down. AOTC and rots get darker and more mature (though they still have a few bad scenes ofc) and I think that sort of tone is where Star Wars shines best

As for your last statements, I agree with that, and I never claimed otherwise. I actually said the pt is for all ages not just adults

Tonyg likes this.
  8. boonjj

Jan 21, 2016
    Tcw and pt are quite different in tone, writing, characters. I think its perfectly umdestandable why some could enjoy one but not the other

Tonyg and Deliveranze like this.
  9. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    True it's pretty disheartening tho. It's like if ya say Anakin is your favorite character, they think you're talking about Matt Lanter tho.

Jedi Knight Fett and wobbits like this.
  10. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    TCW is not child focused. Maybe you could argue Season 1 is to some extent, but it's no different to other Star Wars media.

You clearly haven't seen any of the later content the show presented, which handled its themes and arcs with sincerity and gravitas. There are episodes entirely focused on the politics of bank loans for godsakes (and those are still pretty cool ;)).

I just don't understand why you think TCW is somehow beneath the PT or something. It's not even an argument of quality or a critique of the show, it's a vague non-argument that just isn't true.

11. boonjj

Jan 21, 2016
    Ive seen up to a few eps into s6.

Im speaking in overall terms here. There are some episodes I like (political Padme episodes foe example) but they are the minority in the overall scope of the show.

This has nothing to do with one being "beneth" the other. My argument is simply that tcw is more focsed on a younger audience than the pt. If you think thats non-argument or a non-position then I dont know what else to tell you

12. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I just don't see how in any view TCW is 'childish' but the PT and OT are not. They seem equally aimed at the same audience to me. TCW has dark themes, the films have light comedy, they both have similar mixes at play.

Like, I just can't figure out what in TCW is so aimed at kids exclusively to you.

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  13. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Agreed. Based on some recent conversations I have seen people wish and suggest that if an Anakin force ghost shows up in Ep 9 that it should actually just be a voice and be Matt Lanter instead of Hayden, also seen the request for the PT films to just be dubbed over with Matt Lanter's voice. And many more such suggestions. :(

Deliveranze likes this.
  14. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Ugh. That's just awful. The dub doesn't match. People don't realize you can't just take a voice and redub over a film. Cartoon voice acting and movie acting aren't the same thing.

For example, I've seen a dub of Hayden's voice with Lanter in Episode 3 where Anakin and Obi-Wan are walking in the hall. Lanter's voice sounds way too overexpressive for the dramatic "spy" talk of the scene. It just doesn't work.

And I like Lanter, but replacing Hayden is absolutely a no no.

15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Not particularly.

I always thought that all three of them were great before so nothing really changed. That Lucas took various threads that simply couldn't be explored in the movies and wove them into some really excellent stories in animation was all extra.

16. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    As someone who has not seen the show and is curious about it, I wanted to get yall's take on this TCW rant video.

17. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    The Clone Wars didn't change my views of the PT, but it did enhanced the films, much like the PT enhanced the OT.

darkspine10 likes this.
  18. TheAwsomur

TheAwsomur Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2019
    It answered the question of “why did loyal troops turn on their Jedi commanders and friends when given absolutely no explanation as to why they were traitors?” Now with the inhibitor chip we know.

19. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    I’d always believed a bit of this to be true. Although George had a hand in these cartoons like TCW, those shows are legit fan fiction. They are amazing shows, don’t get me wrong but I cannot see them being tied to the films at all.

Too much maul, too much Ashoka, too much with and not enough development or interactions of the main 3 characters.

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    TCW didn't change the PT to me. It remains as excellent as before.

No way I'm watching the whole video, but looking at its description:

- "Ahsoka is an overrated character"

I can agree with that. But that's on (part of) the audience, not on the show.

- "TCW is the reason I can't enjoy Disney Cannon as a separate entity"

This makes no sense at all. It only makes it clear that the guy doesn't like TCW, which is not really an argument.

- "Bringing back Darth Maul was a terrible idea"

Again, opinion. George decided to bring him back and he had a purpose to bring him back, so...

- "the Mortis arc was insulting to our intelligence"

I did watch this part of the video, and in doing so, I felt my intelligence being insulted. The guy made it obvious that he doesn't understand what balance of the Force means. He has his own erroneous take on it. And because he doesn't understand it and is flat-out wrong about the whole concept, he inherently doesn't understand what the arc is about.

- "Addressing claims to George's involvement in the show"

This is also another part of the video that I watched. And once again, it's a laughable non-argument. He dismisses George's heavy involvement in the show because in behind the scenes videos he's allegedly "not enthusiastic". George Lucas was never someone who extrovertly shows his emotional state. One can see that in any BTS video, wether it's from the OT, the PT or TCW. And in any case, it's another non-argument. It doesn't address anything. George's involvement in the show is a fact, not something up to debate. He was very hands-on with the story and end up giving approval on the scripts and throughout the various stages of the animation production.

Was he as involved as he was with the movies? No. He wasn't meant to be. But it's part of his Star Wars world, and with the exception of his six movies, the same can't be said about any other work.

In the end, not a video that deserves to be taken seriously. The guy who made it clearly doesn't.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Jesta', SithBored and KyleKartan like this.
  21. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    The Clone Wars helped make Star Wars my favorite series. Before it came out and because of my age at the time, I probably would have said Harry Potter was my favorite.

Though I already enjoyed the PT before TCW, the show helped continue what the trilogy started — expanding the universe through amazing world-building and developing the interesting characters established by the PT. I liked the focus on some of the other Jedi in several of the episodes. Now, when I watch the PT, I can put a voice and experiences to their faces. The show also helped solidify AOTC thru ROTS as my favorite era. It adds to the feeling of the war-weariness of the Jedi and the increasing bureaucracy of the Republic by the time of Sith.

I think that the upcoming Mandalore arc will probably change how I view the PT more so than any other arc before it.

However, since I’m assuming it’s already come up in this thread (haven’t read through it yet), I don’t believe that TCW was needed to enhance the PT or its characters. It was a spectacular bonus that rivals the saga films themselves at times, but it didn’t improve anything from the PT, including Anakin’s character. We just know more about him now. And to be honest, I’ve been a bit put off by the fact that TCW seems to be the only thing from the PT era acknowledged from a marketing standpoint, for the most part. It’s Lucasfilm’s way of saying, “yeah yeah we know, this is what the PT should’ve been.” TCW is certainly great, but the saga films should always come first.

wobbits likes this.